Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's with the AdBlock Notice?

Comments

• RPGMASTERGAMERRPGMASTERGAMER Member UncommonPosts: 516
    edited August 2016
    lol 2.99 for a add free experience how wonderfull, you should also try do speed limit while you are at it !!

fast experience 1mbit website experience, 5$ a months !! and the last one would be free !! the 56k experience

also for read article you should charge peoples !! like 1 $ each time, they click on it and it say ''we need more money we are indie dev team and we need eat'' like a pop up.

when you register you should charge money too !! do some cool looking avatar for the forum and charge them 1 to 5 $ each !! , allow peoples write in special colors for money

you can do it the free to play style, free at first then you become p2win and try rip everyone.... in the end only whale stay in your forum but hey you need money right ??!!!

edit : make forum user got enery type ( when they post they use energy !! they need wait a long long time post again, but you can pay charge back your typing energy !! would totaly work !! )
  • RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    the problem is without adblock youg et a buncha pop ups with out it im not sure about your site tho
  • RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    and why dont oyu have a donation part to this site and if oyu donate so much you get ad free
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    RIG4RED said:

I don't have a problem if MMORPG starts blocking those people that do though.

Actually, it IS how this works.

If all sites are starting to feel the financial pinch from adblockers, more and more will start blocking the blockers.

That will result in the remaining "free" sites getting a huge increase in page views.
    Good, yes ?

Nope, those other sites will close down soon after, because massive page views are worthless when advertisers know all your users are blocking ads....
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Many said it over and over again...it's not really choice if you want to see ads or not or click and close an addititional frame here or there, but if you want to keep your PC safe and clean. There have been unfortunate incidents with the ad-content and scripts and there will always be.

You guys decided against a premium option, which you see as a "paywall", but many users would be happy to support you with and made great suggestions for.
    I on the other hand decide what content appears on my screen and what scripts get or don't get executed when i click a link or, for that matter, annoyingly pop up in my face when i'm not even clicking anything but reading an article.
    Plus there are always some games or articles on the mainpage that i am not interested in, so i just take them out of that mainpage "news-reel rotation" with ADBlock.

It's not that i don't want to support you or want "anything for free". I just don't want to support you in a way that will not possibly, but in fact actually compromise my pc at some time or by getting lolicon stuff forced on me.
    So, shut up and take our money...and get that malware out of our face.
    We are willing to pay the Bill (ha ha ha, funny)...mind you, in a time in which many wouldn't even want to pay for a games' sub.

• Ammon777_newAmmon777_new Member UncommonPosts: 306
    MikeB said:
    We've opened up a new thread featuring a poll on us offering an ad-free monthly subscription @ $2.99. Please head on over there and vote/share your thoughts with us. :)
    AWESOME, I will definately subscribe for no ads for only 3 bucks.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Zegaloth said:
    ... But I guess a 50% decrease in traffic is better than 50% of people blocking ads eh?
    I know you're being sarcastic, but it actually comes to the same in the end.

Advertisers do not pay for views generated by people using adblockers.
  • DaikuruDaikuru Member RarePosts: 797
    edited August 2016
    Just add a premium membership or whatever to call it, like 1$/month or something, problem solved. :D
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

- Albert Einstein

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    edited August 2016
    Wizardry said:
    ....snip.....

Problem is the term "ADBLOCKER" makes it sound like users are blocking ads,that is 100% FALSE,it is merely blocking "cookies/trackers/beacons" which are deceptive forms of spying.
    Users will still see the ads,they will still click the click baits and take part in the content which is like 90% advertising content anyhow.
    This, whether I use adblockerplus or not the website is the same in that I still see the same adds etc.  The reason to use adblocker is more a security issue.

Also whoever said antivirus and adblockers do nothing cause he hasn't ever had a problem without either.... I have to say you must not surf the web much.

It's like casual sex you can partake of it time and time again, and have no problems but it only takes that one time, that doesn't mean it's not dangerous.  Unless you think your special and somehow can avoid STD's while having unprotected sex or that you can avoid making a woman pregnant cause you pull out before..well then I dunno what to tell you.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• AreWeLiveAreWeLive Member UncommonPosts: 201
    Admin said:
    AreWeLive said:
    well really i use add blockers for pop up's, i do not want or need them, if you built the adds into your site like you do for your sponsored games then there is no issue...
    I hate to say it cause I do support you guys but i do not support any type of pop ups.
    We never have allowed pop ups. The only pop up we have ever used is this Ad Block notice.  We also dont allow interstitial ads, ads that expand or ads with audio.
    so i still see adds on the site, always have and untill today never got a pop up, I do not see where the issue is with me using add blocker when i clearly see your adds..

I think the real issue here is using add blockers stops giving sites statics like what site were you at before you came here, where are you going now, where have you been, how much time did you spend there etc..we all know it is the hidden things like this that sites really want so why not just come out and tell us why you really do not want us to use them if we are still seeing your adds...just saying.
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    edited August 2016
    AreWeLive said:
    Admin said:
    AreWeLive said:
    well really i use add blockers for pop up's, i do not want or need them, if you built the adds into your site like you do for your sponsored games then there is no issue...
    I hate to say it cause I do support you guys but i do not support any type of pop ups.
    We never have allowed pop ups. The only pop up we have ever used is this Ad Block notice.  We also dont allow interstitial ads, ads that expand or ads with audio.
    so i still see adds on the site, always have and untill today never got a pop up, I do not see where the issue is with me using add blocker when i clearly see your adds..

I think the real issue here is using add blockers stops giving sites statics like what site were you at before you came here, where are you going now, where have you been, how much time did you spend there etc..we all know it is the hidden things like this that sites really want so why not just come out and tell us why you really do not want us to use them if we are still seeing your adds...just saying.
    This is the real issue I think and why the no adblocker pop up.  Btw I found a partial work around that works.  Wont say what it is but just know its possible.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,164
    edited August 2016
    I remember a few years ago some people were finding viruses in the adds on this site. I never had the issue, but it's not the first time I have heard of this. There is a setting in Adblock plus that allows non-intrusive blocking, so perhaps your site should use non-intrusive ads?
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    edited August 2016
    The entire website looks like a advertising explosion, but that could also be attributed to the horrendously overloaded front page. I tolerate ads when they are incorporated tastefully. Unfortunately, that is not the case here. I can wait the 10 seconds to view the website ad-free. Also, there are ways to disable the ad-block notifications with various extensions for Chrome or Firefox.
  • Ammon777_newAmmon777_new Member UncommonPosts: 306
    AreWeLive said:
    Admin said:
    AreWeLive said:

Even using adblock plus I still see adds here. Ive said before that the only adds I block permanently are sexually explicit adds like League of Angels. I see most everything else, even while using adblock plus. Until they provide a way to remove those explicit images, I will block them.
  • BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    People who run this site admit they have been hacked at least a couple times in the past, so they can effin bite me if they think I won't look after my own information.

• SinkaelSinkael Member UncommonPosts: 68
    edited August 2016
    My adblocker shows 26 ads blocked on the main page and that doesn't count the handful of ads that make it past the ad blocker.  Just to see I turned my adblocker off and 20-30% of the page real estate was covered in ads, that is the problem for me, I don't want to see 2 separate video/animated ads (one with sound) and a bunch of static image ads.  MMORPG seems to take the approach that if they just keep adding more ads people will stop blocking them, the more you force on people the more that will block.

Offer me a site that isn't advertising 20 different games around the main content with a clean look and non-intrusive and non-video/animated ads and I will unblock it like I do on a number of other web-site.  Hell just below this post box is three ads, one for Neverwinter, one for Touch and one for Skyforge. 

Take a look at Lifehacker.com, that site is superclean and easy on the eyes and even with ads on they aren't that bad and so I don't feel a need to turn on my adblocker for them.
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    filmoret said:
    LOL at the stubborn responses.  OMG they are spying on us.  They are trying to get us.  They are after me...  My computer is compromised.  OH noes....
    You shouldn't be so dismissive of other people's concerns.  It makes you look like a condescending jackass.  People have every right to be concerned about their privacy being invaded.  As someone mentioned above, there's also beacons, trackers, and even malware, in some of these ads.  That whole industry has proven that it's not responsible when it come's to people's privacy.
  • Puckerup1974Puckerup1974 Member CommonPosts: 7
    Even with adblock on this entire site is one big ad. I have war thunder, animal jam and league of angels 2 on the bottom...neverwinter, Star trek online, and 2x touch on the right side. top entire page is riders of icarus, then there's that list of a dozen games on the right side that are all sponsored links "download now". Someone else mentioned it, but mmorpg.com just went pay to win. Pay with your clicks or pay cash. Seems to be the current model. Let's show them what a reduction in traffic looks like.
  • frostymugfrostymug Member RarePosts: 645
    Even with adblock on this entire site is one big ad. I have war thunder, animal jam and league of angels 2 on the bottom...neverwinter, Star trek online, and 2x touch on the right side. top entire page is riders of icarus, then there's that list of a dozen games on the right side that are all sponsored links "download now". Someone else mentioned it, but mmorpg.com just went pay to win. Pay with your clicks or pay cash. Seems to be the current model. Let's show them what a reduction in traffic looks like.
    I got Legaue of Angels 2 at the bottom.

Quality control...
  • RollermintRollermint Member UncommonPosts: 47
    I've adblocker and on this site alone i see 8 embedded ads.

That is enough.

No, my adblocker is staying up. Friendly warning, this is a shitty move and you may actually even lose more than you gain by this move. I understand the motive but execution is poorly thought off and should be less intrusive.
  • QuarterStackQuarterStack Member RarePosts: 546
    edited August 2016
    I see no fewer than 11 ads on the page even *with* ad-blocker running. Exactly how much advertising do you think we should be required to deal with?

Edit: Saw the bit about the optional $2.99 to disable all ads, and voted 'Yes'. If it truly means *literally* no ads, no tracking scripts, etc. etc...  But a clean experience where it's site content and only that, then Yes. Absolutely. Take my money.

Post edited by QuarterStack on
    edited August 2016
    http://massivelyop.net/ is pretty good too.

Yep, notice how they politely ask you, on the side of the page, to whitelist them on your adblocker, and don't shove it in your face for 10 seconds?

I understand the need for revenue, but there's better ways of going about it than shoving nag-ware in someone's face for 10 seconds. That's just annoying and more likely to make some folks go elsewhere, counting myself among them.

Distopia said:
    TemperHS said:
    Attempting to annoy users to the point that they disable the ad-blocker is kind of a shitty thing to do, no?

With the level of traffic on this site there is plenty of ad revenue to be made, and I'm sure that the site is doing quite well in that regard. Trying to get those of us using an ad-blocker to remove it by adding a mild annoyance that serves no purpose other than to annoy, seems ridiculous.
    I think it's crappier to use a site daily for free, while being unwilling to see a small add on the side of the page. But that's just me. 
    Except there are ads on the page, even with an ad blocker active. I counted 11 just now.
  • paulythebpaulytheb Member UncommonPosts: 363
    Just for one more point of view, beyond the security concerns, which I share.

I use Ad Blocker because I have a data limit. I simply can't afford to load all these ads on every website.
    They talk, they play movies, and all that data has to load.

My data use went down more than 30% after I installed Ad Block. I won't be removing it either.

No one plays MMO's anymore anyways.

( Note to self-Don't say anything bad about Drizzt.)

An acerbic sense of humor is NOT allowed here.

This discussion has been closed.