Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

POLL: Ad-Free Monthly Subscription Option?

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
edited August 2016 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
Hey everyone,

We just wanted to take a quick poll to get your thoughts on the idea of us offering a $2.99/month ad-free experience option here at MMORPG.com.

Is this something you would be interested in us offering as a way to support the site?

Please vote and share your thoughts with us below!
Drewdon

Comments

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Why don't you have one?

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Nilden said:
    Why don't you have one?
    We may add one. But we want to hear your thoughts first. :)
    MikeB said:
    Nilden said:
    Why don't you have one?
    I don't see it being anything but a positive way to generate revenue. While your at it ad a tiered cost say 3 5 10 bucks with early pick on beta keys and special offers etc, plus ad a donate button.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,606
    I don't mind a sub as long as I don't need to sub. I would rather support it with ads and white listing the site. 
    vito11
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Nilden said:
    MikeB said:
    Nilden said:
    Why don't you have one?
    I don't see it being anything but a positive way to generate revenue. While your at it ad a tiered cost say 3 5 10 bucks with early pick on beta keys and special offers etc, plus ad a donate button.
    Worst idea ever. This would turn people away, including myself. 
    Sarla
    Nanfoodle said:
    Nilden said:
    MikeB said:
    Nilden said:
    Why don't you have one?
    So when it comes to actually supporting the site and making it so they don't have to rely on junk like scarlet blade and league of angels your out. heh

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Yes but only if you promise not to get annoying ads that make people want to subscribe.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
    Nilden said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Nilden said:
    MikeB said:
    Nilden said:
    Why don't you have one?
    So when it comes to actually supporting the site and making it so they don't have to rely on junk like scarlet blade and league of angels your out. heh
    I have supported this site for years with my bandwidth and data plan. I don't turn off ads on my phone as well. There is enough things I need to sub to, I don't need to have that on Web pages as well. Being forced to sub to get the service I have gotten in the past,  beta keys and the like, after years of supporting this site. Ya that would tick me off. 
  • AdminAdmin Administrator RarePosts: 5,623
    I dont want to have a "Premium" level that users can pay for. I have never agreed with that model.

This would be only a fee to make the ad block pop up go away.

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

The dead know only one thing: it is better to be alive.

• Ammon777_newAmmon777_new Member UncommonPosts: 306
    I would pay for this. Thanks for listening to our suggestion about it.
    Admin said:
    I dont want to have a "Premium" level that users can pay for. I have never agreed with that model.

What about the ads themselves? Didnt he say that this would be subscription to make them go away? Otherwise its not worth it.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    As a site visitor from a third-world country, $2.99 per month is simply too expensive for me.

I don't use an adblocker, and I'll be happy to consume all the ads you can serve, lol
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    I clicked "Yes", but after reading that it would not be about a premium access but just to get rid of the ads, i'm actually in the "no" corner.

As a site visitor from a third-world country, $2.99 per month is simply too expensive for me.

I don't use an adblocker, and I'll be happy to consume all the ads you can serve, lol
    How can you even afford the internet?
  • Nikkons017Nikkons017 Member UncommonPosts: 104
    MikeB said:
    Hey everyone,

We just wanted to take a quick poll to get your thoughts on the idea of us offering a $2.99/month ad-free experience option here at MMORPG.com.

Is this something you would be interested in us offering as a way to support the site?

Please vote and share your thoughts with us below!
    I don't really get why this is even a poll. There is no downside for you or your users. Those that want and ad free experience can support the site and not view ads. Those that don't want to sub can still see the site basically the way it is currently +/- adblock. And tbh you should also have options for people to donate an any amount they choose in addition to a recurring payment option. 
    The only downside is that they would have to take time to implement it and a payment system (PLEASE dont use paypal).
  • mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    edited August 2016
    $2.99/mo for premium ad free viewing - No thanks
    $2.99/mo for not seeing a 10sec anti-adblocker notice - Hell no 

Other options I'd be open to but I don't know if they are viable
    Allow us to select the ads that are shown by theme/genre/etc. I wouldn't mind more ads that are for games that I'd be interested in. While I'm more prone to blocking ones that I'm not at all interested in.

Donate for perks. Perks wouldn't be anything major but it would show what people care to keep the amazing staff fed.

Incentive for white listing instead of a negative for blocking. I'll leave this to imagination or other feedback.
    Aori said:
    filmoret said:
    Yes but only if you promise not to get annoying ads that make people want to subscribe.
    To late?
    I can't tell if you are serious or just being silly.  I'm gonna vote for silly because if you are serious then well I'm sorry you look at life this way.
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,378
    edited August 2016
    No even with adblocker we see plenty enough ads to pay for it unless it's not the ads you guys are after or selling.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• EponyxDamorEponyxDamor Member RarePosts: 749
    edited August 2016
    Admin said:

Should've made this abundantly more clear in the original question.

Would I pay for an ad-free site? Absolutely.

Would I pay to not see an ad-block pop-up? No way.

Especially since I still see tons of ads with adblocker; without it, the site runs slow, it eats too much data (and becomes incredibly annoying) and I've even gotten some malicious scripts from them over the years.

I love you guys at MMORPG.com; however between the two failed updates and this obtrusive ad-block pop-up (or obnoxious ads that flicker and flash and have jiggling tits all over), it really makes enjoying the content you put out difficult. When ads (or ad-blocker messages) overwhelm the content, there is a problem, which drives traffic to other sites.
    edited August 2016
    Aori said:
    filmoret said:
    Aori said:
    filmoret said:
    To late?
    I can't tell if you are serious or just being silly.  I'm gonna vote for silly because if you are serious then well I'm sorry you look at life this way.
    Of course I'm serious, if the ads weren't an issue I wouldn't be using adblock and we wouldn't be having this discussion.
    Well to let you know.  Yes there are sites that give you bunch of crap popup screens and floating ads that get in the way.  Even sites that play sound in the ads.  But really I see one ad as I'm typing this its a little banner under my typing.  This site does not have popups.  The main page has 5 ads thats it.  There's a few thumbnails and games listed but those for promotions and not advertising.   But thumbnail banners are really trivial there's no reason to be affraid.  The ads won't get in the way or hurt you.  Now I can imagine the iphones might have some issues but thats because its a new market and getting things setup right takes time.
    Admin said:

Should've made this abundantly more clear in the original question.

Would I pay for an ad-free site? Absolutely.

Would I pay to not see an ad-block pop-up? No way.

Especially since I still see tons of ads with adblocker; without it, the site runs slow, it eats too much data (and becomes incredibly annoying) and I've even gotten some malicious scripts from them over the years.

I love you guys at MMORPG.com; however between the two failed updates and this obtrusive ad-block pop-up (or obnoxious ads that flicker and flash and have jiggling tits all over), it really makes enjoying the content you put out difficult. When ads (or ad-blocker messages) overwhelm the content, there is a problem, which drives traffic to other sites.
    Couldnt agree more. I wont pay you guys just to remove that pop-up. If you say "no ads for money" then sure, I would likely pay it.
    edited August 2016
    I'm beginning to think that the adblockers are replacing the ads with their own ads.  Imagine the LOLS from those programmers giving away adblocking software then throwing ads all over the internet without the users even knowing its happening.  How else would you explain the fact that some people with adblock are seeing like 10 ads per page?  Considering this website has like 4-5 ads per page.
  • Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152
    Yes for a ad free site I would pay $3  but I am not paying $3 to remove the adblocker popup only. I will just install a adblocker hider and not see the adblocker popup and still block the adds if that is the case. But like I originally suggested I would pay $3 for a clean site with not ads and a nice MMORPG backsplash to it.
This discussion has been closed.