Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No Man's sky leaked footage

13»

Comments

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    Xanzo said:
    I seem to be in the minority on this here but I am really looking forward to playing the game.
    You're not alone, I'm stoked for it too.
    Except when playing  :p

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• Gamer54321Gamer54321 Member UncommonPosts: 452
    I guess No Mans Sky might have an appeal to kids.

I am 40 y.o and the style of NMS doesn't appeal to me, having watched a LOT of sci-fi movies.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

I am 40 y.o and the style of NMS doesn't appeal to me, having watched a LOT of sci-fi movies.
    That's OK then, there's a lot of "kids" younger than 40 years old, lol
  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325

What has age anything to do with NMS?
  • scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    Dullahan said:
    I actually did the math using the surface area of the average planet in no mans sky, the amount of time it takes to travel between most planets, and the number of planets in the universe. If millions play this game for the next 20 years, the exact chance of meeting someone is...

1 in never.
    It's a single player game, by even making this post you imply it's possible but it's not.

You have the same chances of meeting another living person as you do in witcher 3.
  • scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    Maurgrim said:

When I was 7 I could play with a cardboard box for hours, cardboard boxes don't have the same appeal anymore.  When you're younger your imagination plays a bigger role and the developers don't have to put anywhere near as much effort in.

NMS is basically a cardboard box.  There is a game there but not much of one, and you're going to have to use your imagination or find a reason to keep playing it, most people with jobs or that are older are not going to be able to stand a game like that when they can just go play something that puts effort in to entertain them.
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Horusra said:
    mmoguy43 said:
    I seem to be in the minority on this here but I am really looking forward to playing the game.
    I'll be trying it too at some point. Since it is single player there is no harm in waiting for the more legitimate reviews. I don't get the "vocal majority here" claiming to only care about games with multiplayer while they are still likely playing alone in their MMOs.

It s not playing with people they want.  It is being better than people they need.
    What kind of MMO are you guys playing? I always enjoy running in to other players in the game I play, even if they want to kill me...

And I don't think I'm better than everyone. Chances are I fall somewhere in the middle.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

scorpex-x said:
    Maurgrim said:

When I was 7 I could play with a cardboard box for hours, cardboard boxes don't have the same appeal anymore.  When you're younger your imagination plays a bigger role and the developers don't have to put anywhere near as much effort in.

NMS is basically a cardboard box.  There is a game there but not much of one, and you're going to have to use your imagination or find a reason to keep playing it, most people with jobs or that are older are not going to be able to stand a game like that when they can just go play something that puts effort in to entertain them.
    You are quite correct I suspect.

At 6 years of age, that cardboard box is a galleon, and that paper-towel core in your hand is a mighty sword. And the livingroom carpet is the endless open ocean...

Adult gamers nowadays still have the flights of imagination, but they somehow expect games to deliver those dreams accurately as actual game play. That's where hype totally distorts reality. 

The problem with many NMS fans is that they've already imagined their incredible adventures in NMS. Now they're expecting the game to turn a box on the livingroom floor into a magical galleon.

• MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    scorpex-x said:
    Maurgrim said:

So you basicly described a sandbox game, so you saying all the sandbox games are for kids?
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,165
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited August 2016
    Tiller said:
    thanks but its not really 'spoiling' anything so kinda failed there

and frankly any game that can be 'spoiled' within a week is not worth playing anyway (at least not for the reason it was 'spolied' for)

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    SEANMCAD said:
    bartoni33 said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    I wish this MP discussion would fucking stop, even with MP is a snore fest

1. universe larger than anyone will ever be able to explore? check already exists
    2. that allows you to land on other planets? check already exists
    3. that has gas giants? yeah that too
    4. that allows you to build on a planet you land on? yeah that too
    5. doesnt look like a cartoon? yeah we got that too

for me its number 5. number 5 is such an immersion killer for me its like trying to watch a one legged overweight grandmother as a stripper
    But THE question obviously is:

What does it look like in VR?

BTW I need more details on that stripper you mentioned. Remember different strokes for different folks (pun intended).
    thing is most of the people who are getting a hard on over the art style as inspired from the 50s and 60s likely have never even seen the said to mention art style on a 50-60s magazine, book cover, poster or otherwise. In fact I bet most of them had no idea there was a sci fi art style from that time until Sean mentioned it and then like the day after 911 suddenly everyone has long memmories of something the day before they knew nothing about
    Isn't it retrofuturism also used in Fallout?  I don't think its really unknown.  
    SEANMCAD said:
    bartoni33 said:
    SEANMCAD said:

1. universe larger than anyone will ever be able to explore? check already exists

for me its number 5. number 5 is such an immersion killer for me its like trying to watch a one legged overweight grandmother as a stripper

BTW I need more details on that stripper you mentioned. Remember different strokes for different folks (pun intended).
    thing is most of the people who are getting a hard on over the art style as inspired from the 50s and 60s likely have never even seen the said to mention art style on a 50-60s magazine, book cover, poster or otherwise. In fact I bet most of them had no idea there was a sci fi art style from that time until Sean mentioned it and then like the day after 911 suddenly everyone has long memmories of something the day before they knew nothing about
    the art style of this game is not remotely like any of the fallout games best I can tell.

but I suppose so when he (the developer) said 'retro' I assumed he meant 60s sci fi art because it does seem to suggest that to me a bit but not much.

SEANMCAD said:
    bartoni33 said:
    SEANMCAD said:

Yes, the Fallout games are set in an alternative universe version of Earth, where fusion power had become commonplace for everyday use (futurism), but they had never invented miniaturized electronics. But almost everything else (fashions, decor, attitudes, etc.) is a retro mirror of our 1950's.

NMS's sci-fi designs and graphics are inspired by 1960's sci-fi paperback and comic art, so the graphic influence is retro, but the gameplay is not a mix of retro and futuristic elements like it is in Fallout.
    SEANMCAD said:
    bartoni33 said:
    SEANMCAD said:

.... 1960's sci-fi paperback and comic art,.....
    that is how I understood it when I first heard about the art choices. 

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    scorpex-x said:
    Dullahan said:
    I actually did the math using the surface area of the average planet in no mans sky, the amount of time it takes to travel between most planets, and the number of planets in the universe. If millions play this game for the next 20 years, the exact chance of meeting someone is...

1 in never.
    It's a single player game, by even making this post you imply it's possible but it's not.

You have the same chances of meeting another living person as you do in witcher 3.
    Its possible that at some later date they might include more 'multiplayer' features into the game, that might even be their intention, at the moment though, you are most probably right, your more likely to meet another player in Witcher 3 :p
    Phry said:
    scorpex-x said:
    Dullahan said:

1 in never.

Its possible that at some later date they might include more 'multiplayer' features into the game, that might even be their intention, at the moment though, you are most probably right, your more likely to meet another player in Witcher 3 :p
    If that is in fact true, it means that Sean Murray straight-up lied about the game.
    The internet is littered with quotes and video clips that has him saying otherwise.

It doesn't concern me at all, but there are plenty of other people who will make a meal of this if it is a categorical lie. Including those who'll be using it to motivate their refund claims... :D
  • AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    edited August 2016
    Just play Strabound...100 better
    Agreed, although it sort of depends on the long-term progression for each game.  

It only took 3-4 nights playing Starbound with friends to max out my EPP and most crafting stations, leaving very little incentive to keep playing.  While there's endless amounts of freeform decorating, colony-building, and exploration left, without long-term challenges to give it all meaning it feels like there's very little reason to go back to the game.  It was a fantastic game, and NMS doesn't seem to hold a candle to it so far in terms of gameplay, but I just wish it had some better long-term goals.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• jitter77jitter77 Member UncommonPosts: 512
    I do not get this game, but to each their own I guess.  This game just has 0 appeal to me.  Hopefully they will have some kind of small demo
  • GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    Rhoklaw said:
    scorpex-x said:
    Isn't this game purely single player?  That's what it says on steam
    Well, technically no, it's one huge and I mean HUGE persistent universe and the creators have stated several times that the chances of 2 people meeting one another is extremely rare.
    They say fifty quintillion worlds.  Wow.  That is 50,000,000,000,000,000,000 worlds.  If a million players join, and each explores a thousand worlds, That would leave the odds of two people going to the same world at 1 in 50 billion.  You have about a 300 times better chance of hitting the lottery.

I really, REALLY hope they eventually put some multiplayer tools, like wormholes and sub-space communications, in the game.

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!