Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are Backers Publishers?

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited August 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageAre Backers Publishers?

There was no update this week, which I’m hearing ironically means some good things for backers. As a result, I thought it might be a good time to talk about everyone’s favorite villain, video game publishers! What are they and have we become them? Let’s start with a highly simplified history lesson.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• WizbuizWizbuiz Member UncommonPosts: 215
    Just release this game alrdy.
  • UnleadedRevUnleadedRev Member UncommonPosts: 568
    Their problem not ours....I just buy games.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    I think many indie developers silently pray for a return of the "good 'ole days" when they were protected by publishers and didn't have to face the "tyranny of the interwebz" on a daily basis, lol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329
    Not they are not.  Things like Kickstarter are just pre-purcharses made very very early based on promises.

This has nothing to do with being an investor or publisher.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    If you give money to a project like this expect 2 things.

1. Nothing in return. You are buying into an idea not a working product
    2. Expect that a trove of internet twits can cause enough bad publicity that your dream game can be derailed or changed.
  • nimander99nimander99 Member UncommonPosts: 288
    This is why I wanted Bernie elected! Cause he would've made everything free! And we all know how well free everything turns out...
  • KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667

I think many indie developers silently pray for a return of the "good 'ole days" when they were protected by publishers and didn't have to face the "tyranny of the interwebz" on a daily basis, lol

No, because there really is no difference.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667

Sulaa said:

Not they are not.  Things like Kickstarter are just pre-purcharses made very very early based on promises.

Fig.co allows you to be an investor. Kickstarter is just early access. I wish an MMO would use Fig to be honest. I even brought it up to Brad McQ

And that is why none will. They don't want to go back to sharing the profits with those whose input is irrelevant or detrimental to development.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• Zarkin86Zarkin86 Member UncommonPosts: 122

Sulaa said:

Fig.co allows you to be an investor. Kickstarter is just early access. I wish an MMO would use Fig to be honest. I even brought it up to Brad McQ

Sulaa said:

you realize that Figs has huge problems and had a huge shitstorm because of that right? figs is a scam platform. you havent heard it yet? yet here you are, glorifying figs.

heres the video:
  • jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    Backers don't have any responsibility for distribution of the finished product, either electronicly or in boxes so I don't see how they could ever be seen as publishers. They are backers, low level investors who will get a copy of the game and a few rewards for donating money early.

To call them publishers is stretching things to the point of the rediculous.
  • DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963
    SBFord said:
    imageAre Backers Publishers?

There was no update this week, which I’m hearing ironically means some good things for backers. As a result, I thought it might be a good time to talk about everyone’s favorite villain, video game publishers! What are they and have we become them? Let’s start with a highly simplified history lesson.

Read the full story here

HA , they don't want to be a publisher....Unless they want to give us a ton of money, not just 20 bucks or 50 etc, and all the other stress that comes with it...Publishers take all the risk...  Backers are NOT... They donate a small amount.... or they don't... I personally don't take money from people...as to many backers think, game developers owe them the world...So I would never take a cent from them...

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Tim seems to be confusing publisher, investor and backer.  Generally, these are completely independent and different roles.  Publishers and Investors have some specific legal rights with regards to the product; Backers don't.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    Backers aren't anything but a source of free money if the goals are reached.  They certainly aren't publishers.  
    As a backer, you're throwing money at something and crossing your fingers, much like playing the lottery.  If it doesn't succeed, then you have no recourse like, say, a venture capitalist would have.
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Of course not. The whole reason Kickstarter and such became so popular with devs is because it means free money, with zero obligations. Even if they run the whole project into the ground or take forever, no one has the authority to call them on it.

As for the rage of the internet... LOL @ anyone who thinks these guys can't just tune out a herd of angry nerds while rolling in dough. xD

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

edited August 2016

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• NanulakNanulak Member UncommonPosts: 372
    I kind of think of the backers as soft publishers. True we have no real power to make changes to the game or its schedule we do have indirect powers.

There is no way CSE can read our comments on a daily basis and not be influenced by our thoughts and comments. For better or worse, the backers are in a way pushing along the games development in a new and unique way. Just like our testing will undoubtedly drive choices CSE makes in the future as to what works and what does not.

As the "soft" publisher the community actually is helping drive decisions even if we realize it or not. At least that's what I think.

Nanulak

• Xeno.phonXeno.phon Member UncommonPosts: 350
    Obvious customers are obvious..........
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    People still don't "get it"
    We never paid for completely unfinished games before,devs had to beg us to help them sort out their buggy unfinished mess.
    So where did gamer's go wrong?I think it is as simple as too many gamer's with money to WASTE.
    If it is such a risky business for someone an "investor"why is it so easy for us to toss money around with NO return?

Make no mistake,if a game is too risky for an investor,it is imo not good enough.People should not be giving money to rich game developers,it is just TOO EASY to take free money with no effort hunting down investors and no risk to lose your house or other capitol.
    I do believe that f2p and free handouts has completely killed the market,there is no risk or effort needed,you can simply take your sweet ol time like Chris Roberts and just keep making money with little to show for it.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    edited August 2016
    Is this a serious question?

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Is this a serious question?

Seems to be.  Millennials need to be important now.  I blame Aquaman or perhaps Kanye.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• MagikrorriMMagikrorriM Member UncommonPosts: 223

This is why I wanted Bernie elected! Cause he would've made everything free! And we all know how well free everything turns out...

That's because the hard working American people don't deserve to have their tax dollars spent on themselves. It is much more wiser to vote against personal self interest and give all our hard earned money to the corporations.
  • sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950
    No, you silly billy. Publishers have contracts. Backers are people who preordered a game before work even began on it in earnest, some of whom paid far more than the game will cost.