Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No Pre-Release Keys For Reviews

rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
edited August 2016 in No Man's Sky

It appears as if major publications won’t be receiving No Man’s Sky early to review. This is typically a sign of worry for games when they take this decision since it might be inferred that developers are worried a game won’t live up to expectations. 

Hopefully this is not the case, DOOM for example also did the same earlier this year and turned out to get good reviews.

https://twitter.com/Open_Critic/status/760174294978605056

Comments

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Why I rarely pre-order.  

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    I think it is more a case of a number of last minute adjustments they are making to improve the stability and game flow (something I noted was a problem in the leaked videos) which will likely involve a large day one patch.  They don't want to get bashed on a problem they are hoping to have solved before release day.

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• BlotieBlotie Member UncommonPosts: 29
    Maybe people will be disappointed it is not an actual MMO.  The CEO himself stated it is highly unlikely you will run into another player.  The question is will people be happy wondering around by themselves?  Not sure.
  • spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367
    edited August 2016
    When a game has this much hype, i think its impossible to live up to expectations. This move doesn't surprise me in the least.

That is how games are sold today, on hype, not reviews. Hype can be controlled, reviews...not so much. Sell the hope of what the game COULD be...BEFORE they can see what is actually IS.

Seriously considering cancelling my pre-order on Steam. Maybe wait for some word-of-mouth and then buy if that word is good. With 18 quintillion planets, i am sure there will be plenty of new worlds to explore in 6 months...hell, prolly in six years.

Won't lie, I am very hyped for this game. But my logical brain is yelling at me...

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    to be honest does anyone even go to reviews first as their point of contact when learning about a game they have been following? or do they instead hit F5 until their favorite Youtube starts to stream?

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited August 2016
    Sure it has nothing to do with that leaked copy?

Anyway shadows of mordor didn't do any either if I recall and turned out to be a pretty engaging game that still makes me rage to this day. Damn you nemesis system! DAMN YOU!!!!
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Albatroes said:
    Sure it has nothing to do with that leaked copy?

Anyway shadows of mordor didn't do any either if I recall and turned out to be a pretty engaging game that still makes me rage to this day. Damn you nemesis system! DAMN YOU!!!!
    Shadow of Mordor was pleasant surprise.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    The pre-order bonus for NMS on Steam is so trivial that it did not motivate me to pre-order.

But once I'd seen the leaked footage, I figured I'll be buying the game anyway, may as well get the ship...

If you're unsure about the game, watch the leaked game play videos. There's loads of them about. That's 1000 times better than reading any review imho...
  • scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    edited August 2016
    Can someone explain why anyone would pre-order?  Game developers are liars, stocks are not limited where you have to pre-order it.

There is no reason to pre-order, pre-ordering was from years ago when stores could run out of stock.  People are buying this based off what the man who will make money from it is saying.  The guy implied there is multiplayer when there is none, he has implied many things and skirted around so many questions yet people keep throwing money at him.

Why not wait a week and make an informed decision?  The fact people are going to buy this and rage blows my mind, how stupid can you be?
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    scorpex-x said:
    Can someone explain why anyone would pre-order?  Game developers are liars, stocks are not limited where you have to pre-order it.

There is no reason to pre-order, pre-ordering was from years ago when stores could run out of stock.  People are buying this based off what the man who will make money from it is saying.  The guy implied there is multiplayer when there is none, he has implied many things and skirted around so many questions yet people keep throwing money at him.

Why not wait a week and make an informed decision?  The fact people are going to buy this and rage blows my mind, how stupid can you be?
    We live in an age of information, it really doesn't make sense to buy something blindly and trust to luck that everything is going to be okay, far better to wait and see, making an informed choice, particularly for a game that costs as much as NMS does, is a matter of common sense.
    The hype surrounding the game is pretty intense, the inevitable collision between hype and reality is never pretty, and its no good complaining afterwards.
    scorpex-x said:

I often pre-order games because I know I'll be buying it anyway, regardless of what anyone says about it on launch day. I've rarely been disappointed, because I usually do my homework.

Pre-ordering usually comes with some ingame trinkets and bonuses. If I'm going to buy it anyway, may as well get the extras.

Besides, with a pre-order I know I can start downloading the day-1 patch the moment the server opens. And we know there's always a day-1 patch... 
  • ScottgunScottgun Member UncommonPosts: 528
    edited August 2016
    scorpex-x said:

Video games are a hobby that I've enjoyed over decades. In that time I have developed an instinct for what I believe I will enjoy. So gambling on a game has become a sort of game unto itself. That is, I'm betting on my instincts. Usually it pays off, sometimes it doesn't, but I rather enjoy the "all-in early adoption" approach as a legitimate (and not stupid) part of the hobby. 

As far as developers being liars, I believe very few developers sit in a darkened room full of cigar smoke rubbing their hands together chortling, "Muahahaha! We'll tell everyone we are doing this, but we're really doing something else and run off with the cash!" Rather, most developers are true believers in their games and sometimes that conviction translates into ambitious eyes being bigger than their ability-to-deliver stomachs. But I'd rather developers dream big and then have to pull back due to realistic constraints than think safe.

When I treat video games like a hobby and less like a consumer vs. producer diatribe, I enjoy them more and it helps cultivate a sense of gratitude.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    scorpex-x said:

You could just as easily say that players are idiots as game developers are liars. It's been said for over 2 years that there is no multiplayer. The problem is that people will read into conversations what they'd like and then they end up being disappointed. Again, that's not the developer lying to you, it's you lying to yourself. 

Also, since all review websites are apparently paid off by publishers, how is it that you can make an informed decision after release? /sarcasm

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

Scottgun said:

When I treat video games like a hobby and less like a consumer vs. producer diatribe, I enjoy them more and it helps cultivate a sense of gratitude.

You are faaaar to reasonable, lol

I'll bet you don't even own a pitchfork ! 0.o
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    spankybus said:
    When a game has this much hype, i think its impossible to live up to expectations. This move doesn't surprise me in the least.

That is how games are sold today, on hype, not reviews. Hype can be controlled, reviews...not so much. Sell the hope of what the game COULD be...BEFORE they can see what is actually IS.

Seriously considering cancelling my pre-order on Steam. Maybe wait for some word-of-mouth and then buy if that word is good. With 18 quintillion planets, i am sure there will be plenty of new worlds to explore in 6 months...hell, prolly in six years.

Won't lie, I am very hyped for this game. But my logical brain is yelling at me...
    Games have been sold on "hype" since the NES days, what do you think mags like Nintendo power were all about? Building hype for products. 

It's a lot easier to buy with an informed opinion in this day and age than it was in the past, especially compared to the 80's - early 90's. Information is everywhere, 100's of previews, hand's ons, leaks etc... Not to mention just waiting until the game is plastered all over the net, the day after release..

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Ah, seems like the OpenCritic group have retracted their earlier little tantrum, lol

https://twitter.com/Open_Critic/status/760494661907513345 

Guess you can't blame them, all these leaked streams were potentially taking money out of their pockets...
  • TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    So much common sense in this thread.........pinches self to wake up.
    Scottgun said:

This response is now in my signature!

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535
    Why I rarely pre-order.  
    This is pretty much equal to "I'm a vegan" but in the gaming scene.

Hope it dies out, have a feeling it won't (ever).
    OG_Zorvan said:
    Scottgun said:

He can borrow mine.
    Your response to Gekko's response is also in my signature now!