Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do You Want a VR MMORPG?

124»

Comments

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    mgilbrtsn said:
    Dauzqul said:
    I'd love to try VR. However, they have a long way to go. The motion sickness, from what I hear, is absolutely horrid. A few of my friends had purchased the Rift and state how they an only play 15 min at a time before they just want to kneel over and vomit. Moreover, the price for VR is just too great for most people at the moment. I'm guessing VR will be readily available in the next 5-10 years.
    I don't think nearly that long.  Technological progress can be rapid when it comes to electronics.  I'd say 2 - 3 years and it'll be vastly improved.  However AR will also be online, so there very well could be a beta max vhs showdown looming.  While one won't wipe the other out, it can have a profound on how widely and how soon the other develops.
    I don't think so.  Both are vastly different in concept, whereas Betamax and VHS were practically the same thing, and the only difference between them was the physical hardware.

VR immerses you in a completely virtual environment, and AR augments the real world in front of you.
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    observer said:
    mgilbrtsn said:
    Dauzqul said:
    I'd love to try VR. However, they have a long way to go. The motion sickness, from what I hear, is absolutely horrid. A few of my friends had purchased the Rift and state how they an only play 15 min at a time before they just want to kneel over and vomit. Moreover, the price for VR is just too great for most people at the moment. I'm guessing VR will be readily available in the next 5-10 years.
    I don't think nearly that long.  Technological progress can be rapid when it comes to electronics.  I'd say 2 - 3 years and it'll be vastly improved.  However AR will also be online, so there very well could be a beta max vhs showdown looming.  While one won't wipe the other out, it can have a profound on how widely and how soon the other develops.
    I don't think so.  Both are vastly different in concept, whereas Betamax and VHS were practically the same thing, and the only difference between them was the physical hardware.

VR immerses you in a completely virtual environment, and AR augments the real world in front of you.
    observer said:
    mgilbrtsn said:
    Dauzqul said:

observer said:
    mgilbrtsn said:
    Dauzqul said:

agreed.  That's why i said its not to the death.  However, i think the majority will jump on one or the other initially.  This will depend on which one gets the spark.  The other will then move more along the slow track for a while.  Hate to say it, but Pokemon Go could be that spark for AR.  I know it's a super limited use, but it will have made developers eyes sparkle with all that money flowing in.

Ultimately, they will co-exist because there vastly different applications, but developers will break left or right initially depending on where the quicker returns are.

I self identify as a monkey.

• zanfirezanfire Member UncommonPosts: 969
    observer said:
    zanfire said:
    observer said:
    VR MMO's may have their place in the future, but not with VR in it's current state. 

Any game where you're expected to sit tethered to anything.. cut off from everything..  with other limitations such as hardware types, movement, etc.  would be just half an MMO with a VR gimmick.

That's assuming that VR is only meant for physical movement.  Not all software requires you to have touch controllers, or requires you to move around in your room.

There's a lot of VR games that can be played normally by sitting down with a mouse & keyboard.  It'll just be a nuisance since it's hard to see the keyboard and mouse with the headset on.  I'm pretty sure future headsets will solve this though by allowing the front panel to be see-through.

You can technically play WoW in VR right now if you use the 3rd party Vorpx software.
    The Vive already has a pass through camera btw, but i see a game that is more gamepad driven being a better first outing to make things easier. ESO can also be played using vorpx but i think they sort of broke it with a recent patch, though im sure it will get fixed soon enough.

Oh, right.  I forgot about that.   There's already gamepads that work, such as the xbox controller, but they would be extremely limited for MMO use.  It really depends on the MMO too i guess, since some of them have so few skills these days.
    It doesnt have to be. Slowed down maybe but games like FFXI/XIV/EQOA did a pretty great job with controllers. Of course chatting with typing is the only thing that would be difficult to get around, but making voice chat prominent in group things would help ease that.
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,707
    I love the idea of VR, but I want proper virtual reality, not just virtual reality vision. 

So, I'm going to say no to VR headsets and VR MMOs until someone comes up with virtual reality input systems that make sense. Whats the point of seeing the world in immersive 3d if you still have to use mouse and keyboard? There is too much of a disconnect between what you are seeing (VR headset) and how you play for it to work. 

However, in 20-30 years time when we can have exoskeletons to game in (giving full virtual reality experience) then I'll be up for a VR MMO :)
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited August 2016
    you guys really really need to find away to try out some of these Oculus Rift Demo's.

There is zero question in my mind that this is not going to be a major thing. Orginally I was just personally excited about it for my own desires and didnt care if it went big. But now that I have tried the CV version of demos, experiences and games there is zero question in my mind. It just will not be this year. The GOOD content (which I have seen) is going to take awhile to make in large amounts

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043
    It will totally be a thing.
    For the next 5 years or more you would be looking at a 20K set up to plan a fully fleshed VR MMO. Herding whales of that magnitude will simply be too tempting not to try.

Will I be in the ranks? Hell no.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Not particularly

Look where MMOs have gone in almost 20 years? Better and better graphics.....shittier and shittier MMORPGs