Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What kind of armor do you enjoy the most in your MMOs?

TyranusPrimeTyranusPrime Member UncommonPosts: 306
edited August 2016 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
Through the years of MMOs, we've all seen a ton of armor designs come and go.. From World of Warcraft's over-the-top armor models, City of Heroes create-your-own costumes, and even Vindictus' combat armor and lingerie.. Just about anything you can imagine has been featured in our MMOs.. But what game's armor did you most enjoy collecting, fighting in, and just strutting your stuff?

..because we're gamers, damn it!! - William Massachusetts (Log Horizon)

Comments

• BlurBlehBlurBleh Member UncommonPosts: 162
    It's a bit weird when the same piece of armor is worn on a female, she's half naked, when worn on a male, he looks bad-ass or at least somewhat realistic (TERA, looking at you). I don't mind either as long as it's the same to both genders. I mean come on, eye-candy for guys only? But then I doubt male characters looking like this would attract a lot of players (who are mostly straight guys, obviously). Also, there are usually costumes in cash shops and whatnot that tend to be more stylish and sexy. In that respect I think Black Desert does it quite well, the normal armors look rather bland but realistic, whereas the costumes are stylish and sexy.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    I prefer armors that look like they could plausibly be functional as armor.  Colorful is fine, and leaving some things uncovered or lightly covered for mobility reasons is fine.  But you've got to at least cover up the torso and get a helmet on.
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    Realistic Flashy and Realistic Factual were both actually used at different periods of time. Some people did adorn their armor with skulls and other trophies and the Romans had pretty flashy armor at different periods. I mean really, those broom helmets weren't entirely necessary.
  • g0m0rrahg0m0rrah Member UncommonPosts: 325
    edited August 2016
    I'm just tired of armor not mattering. I find it odd that in a lot of mmo a rogue will kill a plate wearer in the same amount of time as he/she kills a cloth wearer. Armor seems to exist for visuals and to attach stat increases to but not actual defense....
  • AeolynAeolyn Member UncommonPosts: 350
    I'm more into armour like what Bilbo Baggins had... mithril chain under his regular clothing.
    http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Bilbo's_Mithril_Shirt

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    H0urg1ass said:
    Realistic Flashy and Realistic Factual were both actually used at different periods of time. Some people did adorn their armor with skulls and other trophies and the Romans had pretty flashy armor at different periods. I mean really, those broom helmets weren't entirely necessary.
    I'm fine with decorative things that don't impede functionality.  That has been used at times in real life, and indeed, military uniforms generally have markings that don't protect the wearer directly, but only make it clear which side he's on.

But there's a difference between inert decorations and spiky shoulder pads that look like they'll rip the wearer's head off if he twitches wrong.  WoW has a lot of the latter, or at least it used to.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    For me it depends on the game world and the aesthetics of that world. I don't mind "weird" armor if the entire world has a more fantastical bent.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    edited August 2016
    I loved the costume creator in CoH, but my favorite appearance armor, the stuff I put the most time in per piece, was in DC Universe Online.  The stuff you started with kinda sucked, but as you went out and found (& bought) more and more costume pieces, you could build some seriously amazing looks.

I'll edit this later; I need to install the game and take some screenies to show you some of the looks I made.  All of my screenies on my storage drive are gone  :(

Post edited by GladDog on

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• SirAgravaineSirAgravaine Member RarePosts: 520
    Armor/apparel should accurately reflect the context for which it is worn. While I like both option 1 (realistic) and option 2 (realistic - flashy), option 4 (combat/social) is the most logical choice for me. People do not walk around and perform all of their daily errands in 30-80 lb. armor.
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    edited August 2016
    I prefer armour that makes sense for combat. It doesn't have to be that accurate, but it would be nice if the outfit doesn't look as if you would hurt yourself while fighting. I even prefer loincloth/bikini over big spiky shoulders that will hit you in the face when you move your arm.

Same goes for weapons. The size of the weapons have to be consistent with the rest of the physics in the game. No swords the size of a streetlight if my character is not able to throw mobs over/through houses. If they are in the game, then also make it consistent and give me combat abilities like the Witch King in LOTR. And his flail isnt even that big in MMO standards. The used animations always makes it look as if they are made from cardboard because of the acceleration and stopping force.

I am fine with magical effects etc. My vote is between 1 and 2. You can have practical gear which also looks flashy, just no spikes in weird places that will poke your leg or face.
  • AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    It's a bit weird when the same piece of armor is worn on a female, she's half naked, when worn on a male, he looks bad-ass or at least somewhat realistic (TERA, looking at you). I don't mind either as long as it's the same to both genders. I mean come on, eye-candy for guys only? But then I doubt male characters looking like this would attract a lot of players (who are mostly straight guys, obviously). Also, there are usually costumes in cash shops and whatnot that tend to be more stylish and sexy. In that respect I think Black Desert does it quite well, the normal armors look rather bland but realistic, whereas the costumes are stylish and sexy.
    Yeah both genders definitely deserve the option to choose how they look (either sexy or serious, their choice).

In reply to topic, I probably should've voted Other I guess, as I'm not really demanding of any one style.  A game's overall aesthetic should fit with itself, one way or the other (if you go for realism, it should be reflected in armor art, in the rest of the art, and in the game mechanics too).

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    edited August 2016
    My issue with realism has more to do with animations mixed with realism. Unless you're spending serious dough on animations, the armor always ends up looking plastic and cheap (clipping and awkward movement). MMORPGs just can't seem to get the realistic look right in my opinion and that's why I tend to prefer a more stylized approach.

I also prefer a more stylized approach to graphics in general. I have a feeling though that if there was a game that brought some amazing realism, I would at least love what they accomplished.
  • TyranusPrimeTyranusPrime Member UncommonPosts: 306
    edited August 2016
    I definitely agree with you on your point about how odd it is for a style of armor to look completely different on a female than it does on a male.. Definitely should not be this way.. Tailored to fit? Of course.. Tailored to be suddenly revealing? No..

I only recently became aware of the "inner armor" being sold for games like Vindictus and Black Desert, so I have yet to really get a read off of the MMO populace on whether they actually like the outfits or hate the potential for immersion loss.. (Sudden idea.. Hmm.. Guards arrest scantily clad people in town for indecency? heh)..

Regardless, I am still fanatically against cash shops (DO YOU HEAR ME MARKETING?? I SHALL RESIST!!)..

..because we're gamers, damn it!! - William Massachusetts (Log Horizon)

• SteelhelmSteelhelm Member UncommonPosts: 332
    Talking about games where thousands of players exist simultaneously in a single instance and mechanics related to such games.
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    I definitely agree with you on your point about how odd it is for a style of armor to look completely different on a female than it does on a male.. Definitely should not be this way.. Tailored to fit? Of course.. Tailored to be suddenly revealing? No..

I only recently became aware of the "inner armor" being sold for games like Vindictus and Black Desert, so I have yet to really get a read off of the MMO populace on whether they actually like the outfits or hate the potential for immersion loss.. (Sudden idea.. Hmm.. Guards arrest scantily clad people in town for indecency? heh)..

Regardless, I am still fanatically against cash shops (DO YOU HEAR ME MARKETING?? I SHALL RESIST!!)..
    Inner armor...? Are you talking about the lingerie? Because on Black Desert you can't actually run around with that in public. Well... you CAN client side, but no one else in the world will see it. They'll see you wearing your armor. =P

The only place you can display it is inside a residence. No idea how it works on Vindictus though, as I never had much interest in that particular game.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• wandericawanderica Member UncommonPosts: 370
    edited August 2016
    I prefer games that give me the choice like LotRO or even WoW with its transmog system.  As a general rule, though I like a more practical approach for combat, not swords that look like someone stuck the Eiffel Tower on a popsicle stick.  Non-combat is also important.  I like to feel like I'm a part of the world, not the king's bouncer.  Aesthetic choices can go a long way towards painting that picture, and it starts with what we see as players the most: our characters.

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    Has to fit with the overall style, but I'm a fan of high fantasy, so I'll take fantastic / flashy armour. I love me some big shoulders. Favourite armour set in a game:

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Has to fit with the overall style, but I'm a fan of high fantasy, so I'll take fantastic / flashy armour. I love me some big shoulders. Favourite armour set in a game:

I think I had that same set in Mechwarrior. ;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610

• VestigeGamerVestigeGamer Member UncommonPosts: 518
    Another vote for realistic.  WoW armor drove me nuts.  Shoulders with spikes?  Don't raise your hands above your head or you'll stab yourself in the temple.  Luckily, the whole game was overly cartoonish, so they kind of fit.

Female armor definitely needs some kind of thought process to take place.  Sure, it's nice to look at, but really?  Armor is all about coverage and deflection, while trying to keep some semblance of mobility.

Armor in some games is pushing the "suspension of disbelief" factor way out of line for me.

VG

• LithuanianLithuanian Member UncommonPosts: 543
    Depends on game.
    In fantasy game, based on (mostly) real world, like Lotro, I would prefer as much factual armour as possible. Sorry, no 5-meters long shoulderpads.
    In a fantasy game based on non-real world, it's nothing bad to have shiny armour or armour that could not be used (like Roman helmet, mediaeval shield and 16th century sword).
    And lastly, i do enjoy cosmetic outfits (as well as an option to run my toon almost nude).
  • Gamer54321Gamer54321 Member UncommonPosts: 452
    edited August 2016
    Medieval style armor! (Often found in fantasy movies)

No fantasy crap armor that doesn't make any sense.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    The more realistic the better. Bring on the dents, scratches and patches.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• xMorbidAngeLxMorbidAngeL Member UncommonPosts: 17
    edited August 2016

i love a bit sci fi and sexy in 1 
    and what you want more if she scream like this then am in love :p 

• scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    As much skin showing as possible, with optional badass looking ones ofc.

That's why I like Japanese and Korean mmo titles, they know how to do it.