Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Soft launch and no one cares?

Comments

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107
    observer said:
    H0urg1ass said:
    I know that, for some, this isn't a factor, but honestly this game looks like it was made 15 years ago.  You'd think someone like Garriott would have the pull and ability to make a modern looking MMO for a modern time.
    This is what happens when people are trapped in their own bubbles for too long.  It happens with artists that never try photoshop or a digital medium, or musicians who refuse to use any digital software.  They never adapt to modern styles of creation.
    Except here your argument doesn't apply as Garriott has been involved with modern games. He was involved with COH/COV and Tabula Rasa. So there are other reasons the game feels and looks dated. If you look at his career his games have always been on the up and up in terms of being more modern.
  • StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987
    madazz said:
    If a game is taking money and no longer wiping, its launched. No soft launch, not early access, just launched.
    In the end of the day it's really not important how you want to call it. Creators call it early access so it's got to be that. Paying for something doesn't mean anything, you were able able to pay for sota a year ago I believe. They say partial wiping or roll backs can still happen if it seems good for the game. So anything can still happen imo.
    The important part is what state the game is and how easy is to check it. Well, there's no nda. Anyone can check people streaming it. An hour to realise yourself it's still alpha stages. So if someone wants to play a released game and not cope with pre-release problems, this one MAAAAYBE isn't what you're looking for. (not directly aiming at you madazz)
    And to the people bashing the suposed outdated looks of the game, you need to realise there's a lot of us who like it, and on the other hand hate some of the suposed modern games that feel so artificial and unimmersive. Just for the record, I don't own sota but the only thing I currently like about the game is how the world looks.
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    StarI said:
    madazz said:
    If a game is taking money and no longer wiping, its launched. No soft launch, not early access, just launched.
    In the end of the day it's really not important how you want to call it. Creators call it early access so it's got to be that. Paying for something doesn't mean anything, you were able able to pay for sota a year ago I believe. They say partial wiping or roll backs can still happen if it seems good for the game. So anything can still happen imo.
    The important part is what state the game is and how easy is to check it. Well, there's no nda. Anyone can check people streaming it. An hour to realise yourself it's still alpha stages. So if someone wants to play a released game and not cope with pre-release problems, this one MAAAAYBE isn't what you're looking for. (not directly aiming at you madazz)
    And to the people bashing the suposed outdated looks of the game, you need to realise there's a lot of us who like it, and on the other hand hate some of the suposed modern games that feel so artificial and unimmersive. Just for the record, I don't own sota but the only thing I currently like about the game is how the world looks.

Sure, try playing name games with the release status of your product.  That worked so well for other games, like Pathfinder.
  • Xeno.phonXeno.phon Member UncommonPosts: 350
    Garriot is just not trustworthy imo. Even if he does make a good game he will just throw tantrum, go to space right after launch and then sue the publisher for having to fix his game w/o him.
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    black777 said:
    StarI said:
    I see a lot of  people posting, who yet again bought an unfinished pre-alpha game and are now mad and blaming everyone else.

What about the P2W , bans, bad reviews and the Devs asking us to write good reviews!? The price 45$ for an pre-alpha ?  And don't say anything bad on their forums or your post will be lock and you might even get ban.  So yeah...people are mad.

There is an entire website devoted to hating on SotA by a fairly large group of people who felt scammed, said something about it, and then were promptly banned by the snake-oil salesmen Garriott and Long. Even though the website creator no longer maintains the site, it is still active and new people join regularly.

In all my years of gaming I have never seen that happen. That says A LOT about Portalarium and Shroud of the Avatar.

• xxtriadxxxxtriadxx Member UncommonPosts: 155
    edited August 2016
    Post edited by xxtriadxx on
  • Abydos-CDDAbydos-CDD Member UncommonPosts: 98
    This game need PvP server like UO.
  • udinthrikudinthrik Member UncommonPosts: 73
    edited August 2016
    i'll never touch a garriot game again after tabula rasa. cashgrabs then shuts down the game so he can go to space. ridiculous
  • AreWeLiveAreWeLive Member UncommonPosts: 201
    Myself i really wanted to like this game but do not find myself drawn to it in any way, tell me what it does better then other games like this out there?

Other then the link to UO, I really do not see one thing in this game that makes me say, this is a game i want to play.

It is to bad.
  • IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462
    For all those unhappy about this game go check out Darkfall New Dawn.  The indev server it up and free at the moment. The game will undergo huge changes from it raw state now, and the company behind it is very good in dealing with the players. Go check out their vision of what the game will be by the end of this year on the Darkfall New Dawn web site.

https://darkfallnewdawn.com/

• UnleadedRevUnleadedRev Member UncommonPosts: 568
    In all honesty it is an entirely "forgettable" game, as there is really nothing that makes it stand out from other MMORPGs.
    I supported it from the beginning.....IMHO it's just a bland and same ole same ole game, that was over hyped regarding Richard (Who is this guy?) Garriot.
    I do suppose some players will find a nice little niche for themselves and their friends.
    For all his smarts, Richard would have been better off just creating "Ultima Online 2" and kept that universe etc.
  • SirmatthiasSirmatthias Member UncommonPosts: 562
    The fact that UO still charges $15 a month to play a game that's dated back to 1990's says something of Richard garrotts character and HIS STUPID GOD AWEFULL RAT TAIL .
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    In all honesty it is an entirely "forgettable" game, as there is really nothing that makes it stand out from other MMORPGs.
    I supported it from the beginning.....IMHO it's just a bland and same ole same ole game, that was over hyped regarding Richard (Who is this guy?) Garriot.
    I do suppose some players will find a nice little niche for themselves and their friends.
    For all his smarts, Richard would have been better off just creating "Ultima Online 2" and kept that universe etc.
    I'm sure he would have except for the small fact that he sold the rights to Ultima to EA many years ag...

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

The fact that UO still charges $15 a month to play a game that's dated back to 1990's says something of Richard garrotts character and HIS STUPID GOD AWEFULL RAT TAIL .
    Except for the fact that he hasn't been involved with UO for over a decade...

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987
    StarI said:
    madazz said:

Sure, try playing name games with the release status of your product.  That worked so well for other games, like Pathfinder.
    Jumping into released game without actually checking what it is, is just as stupid? Not sure what's your point. but Pathfinder was something I ditched off of my radar after 5 minutes of research.
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    We're reviewing it Just haven't assigned a writer yet. ;)
    ManWithNoTan

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• SomeHumanSomeHuman Member UncommonPosts: 560
    I'm enjoying the lack of exclamation marks and question marks, having to actually skim through dialogue and click through dialogue choices in order to get quests.  I enjoy the map design because it reminds me of overland travel in table-top DnD, only going into focus upon combat, something unusual, or an area worth exploring.  I think the game is pretty immersive with the music and the artwork, etc.  The card system for combat isn't too far from tab-targeting, so I could go either way with it.  It is neat to build your own decks for specific encounters or runs.  The combat itself (movement, dodging, animation) is just horrible.  They warn you in the very start of the game that this is one of the least polished elements of the game at this point.   I prefer Darkfall/Tera style combat, more FPS, so going back to this is boring.  Combat also seems unnecessarily long per combatant.  I wacked a skeleton archer with a two-handed bludgeoning weapon about 50 times before it finally died.  Overall, it is immersive, relaxing, and fun to explore.  I have about 30 hours in game.  I've been treading lightly up until now because I didn't want to explore too much before the final wipe.
    ManWithNoTan

Gaming since 1985; Online gaming since 1995; No End in Sight! My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8POVoJ8fdOseuJ4U1ZX-oA

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    udinthrik said:
    i'll never touch a garriot game again after tabula rasa. cashgrabs then shuts down the game so he can go to space. ridiculous
    I don't think you really got what happened to the game and its closure right? As in, not a clue. You might want to use a bit of Google to find out what really happened and when. Garriot even sued his former employer (NCSoft) and won a small 28 million dollars because of Tabula Rasa and him 'departing.'

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762
    udinthrik said:
    Actually he went to space during crucial development time, not that it made a difference. I remember when he did an interview where he said players could visit dozens of planets, but the TR only shipped with what, two or three? I just find it amazing anyone gives this guy and Long any credit or faith to make a viable game of any sort. Ripoff artists of the highest form.

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited August 2016
    What does RG have to do with what EA charges for UO .. RG has had nothinf to do with UO since 2000 ....

And if i were EA i would charge 15 $ a month for as long as people are paying it ..
    lahnmir said:
    udinthrik said:
    I don't think you really got what happened to the game and its closure right? As in, not a clue. You might want to use a bit of Google to find out what really happened and when. Garriot even sued his former employer (NCSoft) and won a small 28 million dollars because of Tabula Rasa and him 'departing.'

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

Yea amazing how people have no idea and spout off about RG .. The guy didnt leave or run away with anyones money .. NC SOft terminated his contract prematurely , which caused him to force a stock option that lost him millions of dollors he was within his rights to sue them andf The courts found in his favor ... Get this " Cause he was right"...........

As far as his termination goes and this does get a bit murky .. But i remember it , RG didnt want TR to release he knew it wasnt ready .. The internal turmoil stemming form development cycle and NC SOft pressuring release caused his early termination (contract Default)
    We're reviewing it Just haven't assigned a writer yet. ;)
    /raises hand

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301
    Tokken said:
    game still needs alot of help.  Lord British has failed again.

Didnt know he ever succeeded ? The only reason UO even worked when it first came out was because it was the only game lol. It was a utter failure, and people had to change the whole design of it, to make it last as long as it has. I think i remember reading he took all the money from Tabusla or what ever its called and went into space, but that game failed as well. The only reason I donated 40 bucks, was because I thought it might be a fun, till he made it peer to peer, cause apparently he was to cheap to run servers. 

Though that is if your looking at it from purely a gaming perspective, if you look at his master skills in the art of stealing peoples money with trash, and getting away with it he didn't fail at that. I remember when i followed it for the 2 days i did lol, some one actually bought the 10000 dollar in game castle ahahahahahahah. So i mean you can't say he failed on that one. You gotta be one evil, sly bastard to convince some one to spend 10 grand on a fantasy castle for a game that may never come out. Key word there being game too haha. I mean I can say I am guilty of spending way to much money on video games, one time I spent like a grand on UO, but I had a bunch of fun in the game, and I sold it all for like 900 bucks, so it was all worth it. I seriously seriously seriously seriously, did i say seriously doubt, the person who dumped 10 grand for the fantasy castle will ever be able to sell it for anything. Maybe if hes evil to, and convinces some other sucker, that the game is bad ass and gets him to buy it. 

Btw very nice saying on the bottom of your posts. 
    He went to space. The travel was paid by Tabula Rasa's publisher, NC Soft, was part of the game promotion.

https://www.google.es/search?q=richard+garriott+trip+to+space&biw=1280&bih=890&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi75diSnaHOAhVEbBoKHYbWD-4QsAQIRw

• rune_74rune_74 Member UncommonPosts: 115
    Please if you are going to review the game, do not let Red Thomas do it.  He is way to close to the team to give a non biased review.
    edited August 2016
    alakram said:
    Tokken said:
    game still needs alot of help.  Lord British has failed again.

Didnt know he ever succeeded ? The only reason UO even worked when it first came out was because it was the only game lol. It was a utter failure, and people had to change the whole design of it, to make it last as long as it has. I think i remember reading he took all the money from Tabusla or what ever its called and went into space, but that game failed as well. The only reason I donated 40 bucks, was because I thought it might be a fun, till he made it peer to peer, cause apparently he was to cheap to run servers. 

Though that is if your looking at it from purely a gaming perspective, if you look at his master skills in the art of stealing peoples money with trash, and getting away with it he didn't fail at that. I remember when i followed it for the 2 days i did lol, some one actually bought the 10000 dollar in game castle ahahahahahahah. So i mean you can't say he failed on that one. You gotta be one evil, sly bastard to convince some one to spend 10 grand on a fantasy castle for a game that may never come out. Key word there being game too haha. I mean I can say I am guilty of spending way to much money on video games, one time I spent like a grand on UO, but I had a bunch of fun in the game, and I sold it all for like 900 bucks, so it was all worth it. I seriously seriously seriously seriously, did i say seriously doubt, the person who dumped 10 grand for the fantasy castle will ever be able to sell it for anything. Maybe if hes evil to, and convinces some other sucker, that the game is bad ass and gets him to buy it. 

Btw very nice saying on the bottom of your posts. 
    He went to space. The travel was paid by Tabula Rasa's publisher, NC Soft, was part of the game promotion.

https://www.google.es/search?q=richard+garriott+trip+to+space&biw=1280&bih=890&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi75diSnaHOAhVEbBoKHYbWD-4QsAQIRw

Richard Garriot paid his own way out of pocket .. Nothing from NC Soft ...

Garriott paid $30 million for his trip to space tourism firm Space Adventures of Vienna, Va., a company for which he sits on the board of directors. A Russian Soyuz rocket will launch him up to the International Space Station where he will spend several weeks. Garriott is contemplating paying another $15 million to take a spacewalk.

http://news.mmosite.com/content/2008-10-12/20081012235558803.shtml