Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Social features in NMS?

laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
I've seen lots of videos about procedural generation, exploration - and even some interviews about multiplayer and instancing.

But are there any actual social features? Player chat, friends lists, trading, "guilds", sharing what you find? The only multiplayer feature I heard about it seeing other players next to you. I think it would be great to be able to interact with your friends.

I understand in 99% of the time, you won't be close to another player. That does not mean long distance social features could not be in place.
Is there anything of that sort?

Comments

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    laxie said:
    I've seen lots of videos about procedural generation, exploration - and even some interviews about multiplayer and instancing.

But are there any actual social features? Player chat, friends lists, trading, "guilds", sharing what you find? The only multiplayer feature I heard about it seeing other players next to you. I think it would be great to be able to interact with your friends.

I understand in 99% of the time, you won't be close to another player. That does not mean long distance social features could not be in place.
    None.

There isn't even a chat feature.

There is a vague possibility that Hello Games MIGHT add some standard multiplayer features to the game at some point in the future (2018 ?), but that's not anything they've actually promised. They just said they might consider it.
  • scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    laxie said:

You're confused, it's a single player game.
    scorpex-x said:
    laxie said:

It's a single-player game, but played in a shared universe.

Just think of it as a game world that is not 100% static. Things can change in YOUR game world depending on what other players do in THEIR game world.

Just like MMORPG's, the concept of single-player games is also evolving. Things are not as black-and-white as they used-to be...
  • scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    scorpex-x said:
    laxie said:

Just think of it as a game world that is not 100% static. Things can change in YOUR game world depending on what other players do in THEIR game world.

Just like MMORPG's, the concept of single-player games is also evolving. Things are not as black-and-white as they used-to be...
    There is zero proof of this
    scorpex-x said:
    scorpex-x said:
    laxie said:

There is zero proof of this
    Huh ?

In NMS, any planets or animals I name in my game world will show those names in your game world. You will know that someone has visited that planet before you. You will no longer be able to claim "first discovery" or naming rights on those items. The game world is shared, even if you can't see the other players...

In Elite:Dangerous, players playing in "single-player mode" affect the trade prices and faction standings at space stations for everyone in the game, regardless if those others are playing in single-player or multiplayer mode. The game world is shared, even if you can't see the other players...

The traditional definition of "singe-player" is no longer applicable, and will continue to blur as games evolve...
  • DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610
    Could have sworn that I have watched several interviews of developers saying that while it's possible that you could encounter another player, that there are 18 majillion billion planets, so the chances of that happening are almost zero.
  • TheYear1500TheYear1500 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    From the Developers, its not a Multiplayer game.