Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pantheon - Estimated Release 2017?

Wait, isn't this game still in the concept phase?  The estimated release date on here is 2017.  Isn't that about 4-5 years too early?

Comments

• GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    Wait, isn't this game still in the concept phase?  The estimated release date on here is 2017.  Isn't that about 4-5 years too early?
    I think it will get into some level of alpha or beta testing in 2017, but I'm expecting a 2018 release.

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    GladDog said:
    I think it will get into some level of alpha or beta testing in 2017, but I'm expecting a 2018 release.

It would be nice to see that.  But aren't there other crowdfunded games in development that are much more basic in concept (ex. PvP "sandbox" games with little or no PvE content) that are proving that it takes a lot longer than that to develop an MMO, especially with a small team?  This seems to be an ambitious project and I wonder how long it will really take.
  • GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    Pantheon has an angel investor, so they have a fair amount of money to work with.  Not as much as they would like, but they have something to work with.  IMO they will stay true to their vision, but truncate it. 

I expect a lovely world full of great lore and challenging content, but instead of 16 zones, 200 side quests, a level 60 cap and 10 races, I would expect 50 side quests, 8-10 zones, a level cap of 50 and 6 races.  If they meet any of those goals, it will be races, since they seem to have a lot invested in the races already. 

Once they release and have cash flowing in they can get the rest of the content done that they wanted to release in a free patch 2-3 months after release.  After that, I would expect most content to be in paid expansions.

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Agree with @GladDog. The target is 2017, but they've mentioned the possibility of some things coming post-launch. Right now they are grinding the hard parts like the design and foundation. Once completed, hopefully stuff like art, content, item creation and polish will come at a more accelerated rate.

Whatever happens, they know the risks launching early firsthand with Vanguard. I expect they won't release Pantheon until its solid and ready to be played.
    Catibrie

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    Haven't been following development, but given the scope of the game and what I've seen - so far - there's no way it's 2017.

My personal estimate would be late 2018 or close to it.
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    I would guess 2018 also. It takes what it takes, I'm looking into cryogenics to lower my body temp until then.
  • wormedwormed Member UncommonPosts: 472
    edited July 2016
    Dullahan said:
    Agree with @GladDog. The target is 2017, but they've mentioned the possibility of some things coming post-launch. Right now they are grinding the hard parts like the design and foundation. Once completed, hopefully stuff like art, content, item creation and polish will come at a more accelerated rate.

Whatever happens, they know the risks launching early firsthand with Vanguard. I expect they won't release Pantheon until its solid and ready to be played.
    Unfortunately, the problem with many Kickstarter games is also having to release within a timeframe where people retain interest and the technology itself hasn't become so antiquated that it won't appeal to any other types of players.

I love EQ and I'm sure I'll try Pantheon and want it to be a great game but I'd rather not wait forever for the game either.
  • svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    Release to beta testers 2017, last wipe late 2017, release 2018
    edited July 2016
    Wow, you guys are optimistic.  I hope you're right.  Are there other full-fledged MMO's that made it through the development cycle that quickly?  In particular, a crowdfunded game not made by a major studio?
    edited July 2016
    Wow, you guys are optimistic.  I hope you're right.  Are there other full-fledged MMO's that made it through the development cycle that quickly?  In particular, a crowdfunded game not made by a major studio?
    Pantheon has been in development since 2013. It was slow going back then with mostly pro-bono work, but even if we start the Pantheon development clock back in mid 2014 when they started picking up steam, that would put them at 3.5 years by 2018. I think historically the average development cycle of mmos has been 3-5 years.

I'm not holding my breath on the Pantheon timeline. I hope people continue to back it, and they attract further investors to speed up development, but it will happen when it happens. I would personally rather wait a few extra years than for them to rush to release.

I see no danger in waiting, because theres nothing in development quite like Pantheon. Contrary to what some say, there is no expiration date on good gameplay. They can update graphics down the road if needed, but the environments they have created look like they will stand the test of time.
    Catibrie

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Dullahan said:
    Pantheon has been in development since 2013. It was slow going back then with mostly pro-bono work, but even if we start the Pantheon development clock back in mid 2014 when they started picking up steam, that would put them at 3.5 years by 2018. I think historically the average development cycle of mmos has been 3-5 years.

I'm not holding my breath on the Pantheon timeline. I hope people continue to back it, and they attract further investors to speed up development, but it will happen when it happens. I would personally rather wait a few extra years than for them to rush to release.

I see no danger in waiting, because theres nothing in development quite like Pantheon. Contrary to what some say, there is no expiration date on good gameplay. They can update graphics down the road if needed, but the environments they have created look like they will stand the test of time.

WoW, that's a great statement " No expiration date on good game play "

So true.....Infact everything you say has good meaning ! 

Yeah, I agree.  Pantheon, along with Camelot Unchained...That's about all I'm looking forward to for MMOs.
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    edited July 2016
    GladDog said:
    Pantheon has an angel investor, so they have a fair amount of money to work with.  Not as much as they would like, but they have something to work with.  IMO they will stay true to their vision, but truncate it. 

I expect a lovely world full of great lore and challenging content, but instead of 16 zones, 200 side quests, a level 60 cap and 10 races, I would expect 50 side quests, 8-10 zones, a level cap of 50 and 6 races.  If they meet any of those goals, it will be races, since they seem to have a lot invested in the races already. 

Once they release and have cash flowing in they can get the rest of the content done that they wanted to release in a free patch 2-3 months after release.  After that, I would expect most content to be in paid expansions.

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    goboygo said:
    GladDog said:

Lets hope for the 16 200!

• ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    Yeah, I agree.  Pantheon, along with Camelot Unchained...That's about all I'm looking forward to for MMOs.
    I think Camelot Unchained will have a great chance to be good. I'm really excited about this game but you never know until it is released.

Cheers...

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Not a chance in hell.

After watching the latest stream there is no way they could be launching this in a year. They really need to hit this out of the park when it launches and I just can't see that happening without WAY more work on this game.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    I think what many people are failing to realize is that most mmos take a lot longer to develop because you have to spend time coding the entire backend of the graphics engine, etc.  Because Pantheon is running off of unity 5, all of that is done, all they have to worry about is creating content.  Now, obviously that takes a lot of time, so I will agree that 2017 is ambitious, but not completely unreasonable.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    If I were wagering, my money is on Summer, 2018. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

edited July 2016
    Hrimnir said:
    I think what many people are failing to realize is that most mmos take a lot longer to develop because you have to spend time coding the entire backend of the graphics engine, etc.  Because Pantheon is running off of unity 5, all of that is done, all they have to worry about is creating content.  Now, obviously that takes a lot of time, so I will agree that 2017 is ambitious, but not completely unreasonable.
    This is very true, but they do still had to adapt unity for the purposes of an mmorpg. Especially in regard to networking, and then there is tools creation to streamline things. Hopefully much of this work is done or finishing soon and will allow them to actually focus more on design, content and asset creation.

Still, unity and unreal are capable of saving studios a lot of time and money and has allowed Pantheon to move way faster than mmo development has in the past.
    Catibrie

• Storm_CloudStorm_Cloud Member UncommonPosts: 401
    The 16th of March, 2018. That would be a cool release date! The 19th anniversary of Everquest! (If it's still alive) Pantheon, Rise of the fallen would pretty much say, "We'll take it from here, go take your well deserved rest in retirement".

Well, one can always hope! :)
  • ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    The game is coming along nicely but it is no where near a 2017 launch. The most recent vids still only have 1 race, 1 gender, 2 or 3 barebone classes, little to no armor/weapons/spell effects, limited animation, etc.

I'd put money on them delaying til 2018 with a vastly unpolished release that optimistically needed till 2019. I predict a plethora of MMO Unity woes and additional budget reality checks. Hopefully they manage to power through, i'll try it either way.
  • Caven10Caven10 Member CommonPosts: 1
    I am tired of a game that takes 5 years to come out.  When you start throwing money at a game and you lose hope as I kind of have with a couple of games, well, its killing MMOs
  • DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963
    Today's MMORPG's do not take that long as they once did, due to great tools, with game engines such as Unity, with the asset store,  hiring people under contract which is what I do and have for a decade, then Unreal game engine, which offers assets , assets are a cheaper way  instead of hiring more help... which is great for any company..This is helping development time...    Game engines also have gotten better through the years... Also back in the day many companies would spend a few years making the game engine then, the game.... I been in this industry for over a decade, and as a gamer for 30 years, then got my degree, so I tend to pay attention to how this works which is important.... Games like this can take a good company 1 -2 years.    depending on the team size, skill, and money they have.    Remember MMORPG used to cost millions to make, that is not the case any longer either...

Software is alot cheaper than it once was, and game engines have made it easier and cheaper to get access to before you make any money which has helped smaller companies as well. The list goes on and on.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Well, there are certainly games made with a limited budget made that fast, STO to mention one. Champions online is another.

But I am not sure I can think of any good game so I hope they take their time with this one, it would be a disaster if they messed up just to get the game out too fast (we seen it before). I rather have a solid game 2019 then something unplayable 2017.