Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Radeon RX 470 and RX 460

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Comments

• GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    edited July 2016
    Very cool!  Is the RX-470 VR ready?  Any idea?

Added as edit;

It looks like the RX-470 will be the entry level for VR gaming.  Someone serious about VR gaming would probably do better with an RX-480 or a GTX 1060.

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• makasouleater69makasouleater69 Member UncommonPosts: 1,096
    As long as it doesnt cost 300 dollars more than a 390x but gets 10 fps like the 1080 vs the 980ti :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    The Saphire Nitro Rx480 is out now, its also got a hardware fix for the power problems of the stock RX480, and uses an 8 pin power adapter instead of the stock 6 pin.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX934BRgKxg

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    Apparently AMD says expected availability on the cards August 4 (for the RX 470) and August 8 (for the RX 460), at least for some definition of "availability".  Left unsaid was whether that means "retailers would be allowed to sell cards if they had them" or "consumers can easily find one at MSRP".

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

edited July 2016
    Quizzical said:
    Apparently AMD says expected availability on the cards August 4 (for the RX 470) and August 8 (for the RX 460), at least for some definition of "availability".  Left unsaid was whether that means "retailers would be allowed to sell cards if they had them" or "consumers can easily find one at MSRP".
    Quiz if you were in the market to buy a new graphics card what would you opt for now? Or would you wait a bit longer?
    I don't know about Quiz, but I am waiting until AMD intros their RX-490 and Fury II cards.  That will force prices down even more, and that is only about three months away.

*Another edit*

If I was pushed into a corner, right now I would buy a GTX1060, since they have 2nd gen cooling and power management for that card.  But I am hoping that the 1070 falls close to $300 when the 490 and Fury II release.  Or maybe that the 490 is below $400!

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977
    edited July 2016
    Quizzical said:
    oc. co .uk said they already have both 460 and 470 in stock and just waiting for release date.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=29838995&postcount=1369

"We also have RX 470 and 460 in stock ready for incoming launches."

Also to picture how 480 sells

"Sapphire have nailed it, the sales show this as RX 480 Nitro 8G OC is our best selling card of all time for the time window it has being online, if the sales remain it will outsell our best selling SKU of all time which was the MSI 970 Gaming which sold close to 10,000 units in the 2 years it was available."

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=29838962&postcount=1367

"AMD are also aware that we have nearly 10,000 units of RX 480 on backlog, of which Sapphire accounts for over 50%, as such AMD are also moving more GPU to fulfill OcUK PO's."

"Right now we are actually turning away mining orders on RX 480 to ensure it is gamers getting first dibs."

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=29835315&postcount=1238

"That is the amount OcUK has ordered from manufacturer.

So just OcUK!"

"It really is, RX 480 is selling insanely well now, Sapphire with Nitro have nailed it and were finding the Powercolor Devil card to also be selling like crazy."

"The Sapphire has a cracking start as it is already beyond 1000 units and sales momentum in last 48hrs is actually increasing"

"AMD also inform me over 100k units of RX 480 are shipping to AIB's in the next 10-12 days, so I think by middle of August (2 weeks), we shall be in a much better position and would of cleared the majority of backorders."

edited July 2016
    GladDog said:
    Quizzical said:
    Quiz if you were in the market to buy a new graphics card what would you opt for now? Or would you wait a bit longer?
    I don't know about Quiz, but I am waiting until AMD intros their RX-490 and Fury II cards.  That will force prices down even more, and that is only about three months away.

*Another edit*

If I was pushed into a corner, right now I would buy a GTX1060, since they have 2nd gen cooling and power management for that card.  But I am hoping that the 1070 falls close to $300 when the 490 and Fury II release.  Or maybe that the 490 is below $400!
    Yeah I really want to see the newer cards before making my decision. I have been chomping at the bit to get a new card lol
    I dont really understand this frenzy of buying new GPU. Unless your GPU died, whats the point of rushing in, you will overpay and most likely get bad model ...khm...GTX1080 FE....khm

just wait a month of two for availability/prices to settle, even few driver revisions  (like 1070/1080 had absolutely nothing, and still dont have many, of advertised features available)... .... ...
    Post edited by Malabooga on
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Malabooga said:
    GladDog said:
    Quizzical said:

*Another edit*

Yeah I really want to see the newer cards before making my decision. I have been chomping at the bit to get a new card lol
    I dont really understand this frenzy of buying new GPU. Unless your GPU died, whats the point of rushing in, you will overpay and most likely get bad model ...khm...GTX1080 FE....khm

kust wait a month of two for availability/prices to settle, even few driver revisions  (like 1070/1080 had absolutely nothing, and still donthave many, of advertised features available)... .... ...
    Some just have to have the latest and greatest, but unless you can afford to spend money like that, it really does make sense to wait and see and make informed purchases.
    Quizzical said:
    That's all a question of budget.  I'd definitely get one of the new generation cards unless your budget is too small for even an RX 460.  But which one all depends on how much you're willing to spend and how long you're willing to wait.

Personally, I've already got a Fury X, so nothing in the new generation is a large enough upgrade to bother.  Unless I hit a game that my Fury X can't handle, I'm planning on waiting at least until the 10 nm generation to upgrade.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

edited July 2016
    Quizzical said:
    Quizzical said:
    That's all a question of budget.  I'd definitely get one of the new generation cards unless your budget is too small for even an RX 460.  But which one all depends on how much you're willing to spend and how long you're willing to wait.

Personally, I've already got a Fury X, so nothing in the new generation is a large enough upgrade to bother.  Unless I hit a game that my Fury X can't handle, I'm planning on waiting at least until the 10 nm generation to upgrade.
    Budget is no issue. I can wait for a time. My 380 is struggling on a few titles but I a have been waiting and have not rushed out to get a new card just because it is new. I don't buy GPUs very often. I like to pick the right one and not have to worry about it for a few years. My 380 was a replacement card. 
    In that case, a GTX 1070 is fast enough to justify an upgrade.  I wouldn't bother with anything slower than that.  So you could get a GTX 1070, wait for a higher end Nvidia card to show up in stock, or wait for AMD Vega.  The GTX 1070 is still somewhat above MSRP, but I don't see later cards pushing it below $300 in the next year or so.  I'd expect at least some Vega cards to be faster than a GTX 1070, but it's not clear how long we'll have to wait for that.

If you happen to already have a FreeSync or G-Sync monitor, that could push some brand affinity.  I'd expect Nvidia to eventually support adaptive sync, but they've been dragging their feet on this for long enough that it wouldn't be surprising if Intel supports it before Nvidia.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

GladDog said:
    Quizzical said:

*Another edit*

Me too!!

Malabooga said:
    GladDog said:
    Quizzical said:

*Another edit*

just wait a month of two for availability/prices to settle, even few driver revisions  (like 1070/1080 had absolutely nothing, and still dont have many, of advertised features available)... .... ...
    I have a Radeon 7870 2GB card.  It has performed as well or better than I could have ever hoped for over the last 4 years, allowing me to run at max graphics in such games aw ESO and BDO.  But now, games are starting to release that make my card struggle.  I could not get acceptable framerates in the Star Citizen trial even on minimum settings.  A couple of other games I tried required minimal settings to be playable.  That shows me that a fundamental change in PC gaming is occurring, and I need to step up.

As far as waiting for prices to drop, PC tech is way too dynamic.  If you wait for prices to hit rock bottom, well, you will never buy anything.  Pick a point in time and make your best decision at that time.  I decided my time frame for purchase (should be October according to an article I read a while back), which will be about when RX-490 and Fury II release, since prices on lower end stuff should drop a bit at that time.  I have narrowed my choices down to an RX-480, a GTX1060 or a GTX1070.  I'll make my final decision at that time, based on price and performance.  Who knows, I might be surprised by the pricing of the RX-490 and get one of them!  But I will be using that time frame to purchase something.

GladDog said:
    Malabooga said:
    GladDog said:
    Quizzical said:

*Another edit*

I have a Radeon 7870 2GB card.  It has performed as well or better than I could have ever hoped for over the last 4 years, allowing me to run at max graphics in such games aw ESO and BDO.  But now, games are starting to release that make my card struggle.  I could not get acceptable framerates in the Star Citizen trial even on minimum settings.  A couple of other games I tried required minimal settings to be playable.  That shows me that a fundamental change in PC gaming is occurring, and I need to step up.

As far as waiting for prices to drop, PC tech is way too dynamic.  If you wait for prices to hit rock bottom, well, you will never buy anything.  Pick a point in time and make your best decision at that time.  I decided my time frame for purchase (should be October according to an article I read a while back), which will be about when RX-490 and Fury II release, since prices on lower end stuff should drop a bit at that time.  I have narrowed my choices down to an RX-480, a GTX1060 or a GTX1070.  I'll make my final decision at that time, based on price and performance.  Who knows, I might be surprised by the pricing of the RX-490 and get one of them!  But I will be using that time frame to purchase something.
    Don't expect Vega to drop prices on the Polaris cards already out.  If you've already put out $100, $150, $200, and $250 cards, you don't drop prices on those just because you later fill out your new lineup with a $400 card and a $600 card, or whatever AMD charges for Vega.  Vega is likely to put downward price pressure on Nvidia's higher end cards, especially the GTX 1080 and up.  But it will probably be irrelevant to the lower end cards.

A Radeon RX 480 is fast enough to justify an upgrade, as it's more than double the performance of what you've got.  I'd wait until it's available around MSRP before grabbing one if that's the route you go.  And, of course, there's no rule against deciding to triple or quadruple your performance rather than doubling it; that's just a question of what you're willing to pay.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    Any word on pricing for these? The 470 is so close to the 480 I may change my thinking for my wife's rig.
    edited July 2016

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• mmorobommorobo Member UncommonPosts: 126
    edited August 2016
    As I need to upgrade my 770 and 560ti (kids) this fall, I thank you guys for all of the info.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    Can't wait to see benchmarks on these
    edited August 2016
    Not much surprises about 470 vs 480, if you look at difference between 380/380x, it should be about the same (if AMD didnt change naming scheme 480 would be called 480x and 470 would be called 480)