Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Aquatic Races?

AllerleirauhAllerleirauh Member UncommonPosts: 496
edited July 2016 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
I'm still on the search for a new game. I'm very interested in a game with aquatic races; most of the games out there have races that are land based. A former friend told me about a game that had mermaids, etc., it was an old game, and the graphics were not quite a nice as I would like them to be. Does anyone know of any games that might be "under development" that would include aquatic races, particularly mermaids?
Currently Playing: Path of Exile

"I have found a desire within myself that no experience in this world can satisfy; the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." ~ C. S. Lewis

Comments

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Well, I am not interested in water sports but it is cool if you are.  I don't know of anyvirtualworld where you can do that.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• AllerleirauhAllerleirauh Member UncommonPosts: 496
    I was trying to find the YouTube link (but I can't find it); the game "Perfect World" had aquatic races. I'm also NOT looking for "The Little Mermaid" type mermaids. Something similar to sirens; something that would have appeal to H.P. Lovecraft fans, that's the idea I'm going for.

"I have found a desire within myself that no experience in this world can satisfy; the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." ~ C. S. Lewis
    Dullahan said:
    Thanks, I'll check it out! :)

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Everquest 2 and the graphics are decent enough,not outdated yet,actually better than MANY new games but never optimized well.
    EQ2 actually calls their Mermaids "Sirens".

FFXi had a Siren fight but don't remember there actually being any race of Sirens which is odd for the game to only have one creature fro ma race.One my bigger peeves is the game never used any actual water zones but does have several Aquatic creatures.

I am sure i have run into Sirens several games i just cannot remember them all.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Wizardry said:
    Everquest 2 and the graphics are decent enough,not outdated yet,actually better than MANY new games but never optimized well.
    EQ2 actually calls their Mermaids "Sirens".

FFXi had a Siren fight but don't remember there actually being any race of Sirens which is odd for the game to only have one creature fro ma race.One my bigger peeves is the game never used any actual water zones but does have several Aquatic creatures.

I am sure i have run into Sirens several games i just cannot remember them all.
    Yeah, I know that you mean. Many games will have hybrids so that they don't have to have a water zone for them. I'm definitely going to follow Pantheon; I like the idea having a land and water form, but I'm hoping that they still have a nice water zone. From what I've read so far, it seems like a game that I would be interested in.

• GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    edited July 2016
    Perfect World is made by PWI, the most Pay 2 Win company in the genre.  Just keep that in mind before you start investing too much time in that one.

For example, another PWI game I played, Forsaken World, would require about $2000 USD invested to get solidly into the top tier of players.  Once in the top tier, players not in the top tier could not even scratch you.

*Added as an edit*

I did want to say that PWI has several quite fun games under their umbrella, including Forsaken World (never played Perfect World though, so not an expert on that one).  Just keep in mind that P2W will raise its ugly head when you get to the end game.

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    Argonians can swim fast and they like to keep it moist (their words, not mine) in ESO.

Also, there is some kind of elf in ArcheAge that swims faster (or can breath under water longer?) than other races, but I don't think it's a major aquatic theme. That's all I've got.

GladDog said:
    Perfect World is made by PWI, the most Pay 2 Win company in the genre.  Just keep that in mind before you start investing too much time in that one.

For example, another PWI game I played, Forsaken World, would require about $2000 USD invested to get solidly into the top tier of players.  Once in the top tier, players not in the top tier could not even scratch you.

*Added as an edit*

I did want to say that PWI has several quite fun games under their umbrella, including Forsaken World (never played Perfect World though, so not an expert on that one).  Just keep in mind that P2W will raise its ugly head when you get to the end game.

Yeah, I never started that game; it wasn't exactly what I wanted. I guess it was a good thing that I didn't.
    d_20 said:
    Argonians can swim fast and they like to keep it moist (their words, not mine) in ESO.

Also, there is some kind of elf in ArcheAge that swims faster (or can breath under water longer?) than other races, but I don't think it's a major aquatic theme. That's all I've got.

Yeah, I used to play ArcheAge and quit because it was by my definition P2W. Yeah, elves had that ability, but it was hardly what I was looking for. My boyfriend did love the naval battles, and doing trade runs on his merchant ship. The races were similar to Rifts, one unique ability for each race.

• AgnharAgnhar Member UncommonPosts: 108
    Bless online has sirens, but i don't know what happens when they enter water because they are not playable as of this post.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    In an another thread about underwater content I mentioned CO, one of its leveling zones is under the sea. Since "the graphics were not quite a nice as I would like them to be." is fitting on it too, it's maybe not the droid you're looking for :wink: but worths a mention I think.

No aquatic races, because the game has no races, you can make anything you want. Among beasts maybe only sharks, fishes, and maybe toads which related to water, but for a humane Aquaman-wannabe there are much more options, ranging from fins and tails and stuff to the regular diving helmet and scuba gear. Heck, you can make a fishbowl (and a fish in it) on top of a robot body to walk around if you like, what's more aquatic than that? :wink:

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited July 2016
    You should realize that Pantheon,a game i also have watched and does on paper look decent ,is made by the same EQ guy "Brad"

So imo since EQ/EQ2 had what i would expect to be a bigger budget,i doubt Pantheon will be any better,just newer.
    I realize it is tough to get into older games like EQ2,however it is a big game,has housing and sort of free,i just cannot,aside from a few design ideas i like,see Pantheon being a better game than say EQ2 or even EQ1 aside from EQ1 graphics.

Point being and i HOPE Brad sees this...
    I see the game being like all the rest,an early bandwagon jump,then not too long after many just leave because they realize it is pretty much same old same old.

What i believe the MAIN sell and perhaps give some hope to longevity ,is the return to player interaction/grouping.Problem i see is once again turning a game into a WOW fest of constant raiding or ONLY playing the game for Boss looting,i personally want a game to be enjoyed for the entire world/game.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985

Not from a game, but, this is a concept art of a fishman like in Shadow over Innsmouth.
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Eco the dolphin? 

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    GW2 doesn't have an underwater race but has pretty good underwater combat and questing and exploration.  ESO has an underwater race but no underwater content.  WoW had Druid can turn into an aquatic form that has fast swim speed and breathes underwater, the game has underwater questing. 

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey