Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why or why not play ESO?

123457»

Comments

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited July 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    gervaise1 said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Iselin said:
    SEANMCAD said:

that doesnt sound remotely like a 'skill based system'
    Doesn't sound remotely like a class based system either.

Sounds much, much more like a "skill" based system.

And to what Iselin said you can add that (whether you use the associated skills or not) any character can use any weapon, any armour and be manna, hit point or stamina heavy. Which - in a "traditional" class based system are strictly delineated.

Additionally the post-50 CS system applies equally to all characters irrespective of what class you selected at level 1.

At level 1 when you only have access to "class skills" since you haven't unlocked any others. Probably why some reviewers might have gotten the idea that it was "locked into a class based system". 
    very much does not sound like a skill based system.

1. having some skills locked to a 'Class' is anti-skill based regardless 
    2. skills that you 'choose' is instead of increase by doing activities related to them is not skill based approach.

That system as he described is the antithesis (as in exactly what systems I am refering to are explictly trying to NOT be like.)

The idea of a 'skill system' as I refer to it is:

1. you gain in a skill by doing something that is related to that skill. archery goes up when you use archery. Its not selected because you gained XP by cooking.
    2. The large majority of skill if not all of them are aviable to a player from day 1 assuming he has the gear and an access to do the activity in question (aka you have a fishing rod).
    3. There are no classes.

Now if I recall Morrowind had items 1 and 2 explictly 100%. regarding item 3 it had classes but it was like a stripper who had clothes in the locker, not really part of the job.

should I go on?

You shouldn't because it makes it clear you don't "know" how ESO works. To wit: you can only improve in your "class skills by "using them". Not by gaining experience. Nor does cooking gives you any experience - just like archery in fact it only improves if you use it. ESO is all about skill lines and all skills only improve if you use them.

As for point 2 if a player has access to every weapon and armour type then they will have access to all weapon and armour skills. They can also gain access to other skill lines almost right away. Ironically crafting skills take a bit longer to unlock.

So no don't. 
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited July 2016
    gervaise1 said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    gervaise1 said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Iselin said:
    SEANMCAD said:

And to what Iselin said you can add that (whether you use the associated skills or not) any character can use any weapon, any armour and be manna, hit point or stamina heavy. Which - in a "traditional" class based system are strictly delineated.

Additionally the post-50 CS system applies equally to all characters irrespective of what class you selected at level 1.

At level 1 when you only have access to "class skills" since you haven't unlocked any others. Probably why some reviewers might have gotten the idea that it was "locked into a class based system". 

2. skills that you 'choose' is instead of increase by doing activities related to them is not skill based approach.

That system as he described is the antithesis (as in exactly what systems I am refering to are explictly trying to NOT be like.)

1. you gain in a skill by doing something that is related to that skill. archery goes up when you use archery. Its not selected because you gained XP by cooking.
    2. The large majority of skill if not all of them are aviable to a player from day 1 assuming he has the gear and an access to do the activity in question (aka you have a fishing rod).
    3. There are no classes.

Now if I recall Morrowind had items 1 and 2 explictly 100%. regarding item 3 it had classes but it was like a stripper who had clothes in the locker, not really part of the job.

should I go on?

You shouldn't because it makes it clear you don't "know" how ESO works. To wit: you gain in your "class skills by "using them". Not by gaining experience. Nor does cooking gives you any experience - just like archery in fact it improves if you use it.

As for point 2 if a player has access to every weapon and armour type then they will have access to all weapon and armour skills. They can also gain access to other skill lines almost right away. Ironically crafting skills take a bit longer!

So no don't. 

I think what i should have said originally is:

'the Skill system in ESO is not remotely like the skill system in ES games'

I think maybe that would have been more palatable for the audience here. because in my mind, as well as the community I am exposed to (aside from this one) would not consider the description given here as a 'skill based game'. Darkfall or Skyrim would be more of a skill based game.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Actually there are more than one kind of skill based systems in games like a Morrowind or an ESO just as there are different kinds of Class based systems like WOW or Rift.
    The issue is some people only see a skill based system or a class based system as one kind of system when in reality the terms can encompass a broader spectrum.
    which is why as a point of disgruntled capitulation I would like to revise what I said and instead say the following in hopes of reaching a compromise

• markh777markh777 Member UncommonPosts: 150
    lol....big juju going on....did I mention lack of hotbars????...lol...carry on with yer skill debate
  • LithuanianLithuanian Member UncommonPosts: 543
    Why i do not play ESO: because it is buy to play. If only they had some trial (even if very limited).
    Plus, I am not a fan of "action combat", where you havre to dodge, run etc. But if they introduce at least free trial, I may try ESO.
    edited July 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    Actually there are more than one kind of skill based systems in games like a Morrowind or an ESO just as there are different kinds of Class based systems like WOW or Rift.
    The issue is some people only see a skill based system or a class based system as one kind of system when in reality the terms can encompass a broader spectrum.
    which is why as a point of disgruntled capitulation I would like to revise what I said and instead say the following in hopes of reaching a compromise

No I said don't because you do not "know" how ESO works.

Notwithstanding the fact that there is no single/unified ES system (there were so many articles about recreating Oblivion classes in Skyrim when Skyrim came out for example) ESO is much closer to e.g. Skyrim (or Morrowind if you wish) than you seem to think. Especially today. 

And I am not having a go. Would be the same if we were discussing whether e.g. Morrowind is a class or skill based game with someone who has never played it. "Morrowind has classes so it must be a class based system right?" The devil is in the detail as the saying goes.
    gervaise1 said:
    SEANMCAD said:

Notwithstanding the fact that there is no single/unified ES system ESO is much closer to e.g. Skyrim (Morrowind if you wish) than you seem to think. Especially today.

And I am not having a go. Would be the same if we discussing whether e.g. Morrowind is a class or skill based game. (Morrowind has classes so it must be a class based system right?) The devil is in the detail as the saying goes.
    ok..

..as i said I am revising my orginal statement that started this whole debate to:

the classes in Morrowind like I keep saying is like a strippers clothes, its worthless and not part of the job. Its silly and unnecessary if ones position is strong to try and suggest Morrowind and ESO are similar when it comes to classes just because they both have them. Its almost like saying Morrowind is an FPS style game because there is shooting in it.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311
    edited July 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    gervaise1 said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Iselin said:
    SEANMCAD said:

3. There are no classes.

should I go on?

it is now totally obvious you are trolling. i gave you the link to click and asked you to explain why it isn't a skill based system, you didn't take me up on my offer.

had you done that, you would realize that you do indeed need to "do something related to that skill" in order to put points into it. 

you do indeed have access to "a large majority of the skills in game" but you have to use that skill line before you can start putting points into things.

i also find amusing how you contradict yourself by saying "you gain in a skill by doing something that is related to that skill."

but then go on to say..... "The large majority of skill if not all of them are aviable to a player from day 1"

how can everything be made available to you if you actually have to use the bow to gain skills with it? oh and that is exactly how ESO works by the way. you don't have access to every single skill at level 1 because you have to level up the corresponding skill line in order to unlock the skills.

again, this information has all been made available to you which you choose to ignore.

http://www.esohead.com/calculator/skills

that is the third time i have posted that link to try and educate you. i ask again, tell me why you think that is a class based system? if you are even capable that is.

because every time you try and explain what your vision of a skill based system is, you almost exactly describe ESO lol

Post edited by baphamet on
    edited July 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    gervaise1 said:
    SEANMCAD said:

Notwithstanding the fact that there is no single/unified ES system ESO is much closer to e.g. Skyrim (Morrowind if you wish) than you seem to think. Especially today.

And I am not having a go. Would be the same if we discussing whether e.g. Morrowind is a class or skill based game. (Morrowind has classes so it must be a class based system right?) The devil is in the detail as the saying goes.
    ok..

..as i said I am revising my orginal statement that started this whole debate to:

the classes in Morrowind like I keep saying is like a strippers clothes, its worthless and not part of the job. Its silly and unnecessary if ones position is strong to try and suggest Morrowind and ESO are similar when it comes to classes just because they both have them. Its almost like saying Morrowind is an FPS style game because there is shooting in it.

but it is remotely close ROFL!

i will give you that it isn't exactly the same but saying it isn't remotely close is just yet again showing your pre-determined bias that was established far before this debate began.

i'm outta here, i'm done feeding the troll.

good day to you sir!

edited July 2016
    baphamet said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    gervaise1 said:
    SEANMCAD said:

ok..

i will give you that it isn't exactly the same but saying it isn't remotely close is just yet again showing your pre-determined bias that was established far before this debate began.

good day to you sir!

yeah its not remotely close.

The orginal idea of 'skill based system' was explictly that anyone can become anything by DOING the activities that the skills involved. nobody would be locked out of any skill or locked into any skill and in fact classes are not really needed.

That is the most pure form of a 'skill based system' morrowind is much closer to that description then ESO is and ESO is faaaaar remove from those prinicples.

'assigning' ones self skill points is antithetical to the entire idea of where 'skill based' came from 

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    SEANMCAD said:
    baphamet said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    gervaise1 said:
    SEANMCAD said:

ok..

good day to you sir!

The orginal idea of 'skill based system' was explictly that anyone can become anything by DOING the activities that the skills involved. nobody would be locked out of any skill or locked into any skill and in fact classes are not really needed.

That is the most pure form of a 'skill based system' morrowind is much closer to that description then ESO is and ESO is faaaaar remove from those prinicples.

'assigning' ones self skill points is antithetical to the entire idea of where 'skill based' came from 
    Whatever YOU think a skill based system should be, it is plainly obvious that ESO's skill system is quite similar to Skyrim's. Saying it is "not remotely close" is just complete rubbish, a total lie in fact.

Indeed, ESO's system even largely reflects what you yourself posted as the criteria for a skill-based system, namely you said:

"The idea of a 'skill system' as I refer to it is:

3. There are no classes."

1: In ESO you gain skill by doing something related to that skill- for example you don't get better at archery by cooking.

2: In ESO the large majority of skill is available to a player from day 1 assuming she has the gear and and access to do the activity in question (aka you have a bow): note as you get better at using a weapon/armor/etc you learn new skills related to that item.

3: This is where it differs. I would prefer no classes, but to be fair the way ESO is set up the classes are not so all defining as is the case in other mmos. A player can easily make a character that uses none of the class restricted skills.
  • MareliusMarelius Member UncommonPosts: 130
    SEANMCAD said:
    baphamet said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    baphamet said:

i'm not saying it's the game for you, i'm telling you it is a skill based system at it's very definition lol. why don't you tell me why i am wrong? simply preferring not to pick a class at the start isn't proving anything as i already told you the effect the starting classes have on the game.

even if you do prefer to not pick a class at the beginning, it's still far from a class based system like you were saying it is.

racial skill lines, something few complain about being in the game, are exactly the same as class skill lines in ESO. you pick a race based on the racial skill line of that race. the only difference is class's have 3 skill lines instead of 1.

you are also locked into the racial passives and always get them with every build, not true with the class skill lines.

I am going to ask you point blank

Can I become a character that doesnt even come close to resembling a mage even though I picked a mage by doing non mage related activities and by doing said activities those skill points increase in the non-mage like areas?

or 

was the advertising and explanation of the game in the beginning terrible?
    lmao what is so hard to understand?

you allocate where you put the points, as any character you will level up the skills you use that allows you to allocate those points. if you use medium armor and a bow then it will unlock the skills in the medium armor and bow skill lines.

you will then be able to use the skill points you acquire to purchase the skills and passives in those skill lines as you wish. this shit isn't rocket science, it's a skill based system.

picking a class is just picking the three class skill lines you want to choose from and just like any other skill line in the game, you don't have to use them or put points in things you don't want or need. but you will have to use that skill line to unlock the skills and passives if you want to use them, like any other skill line.

i don't care if you don't like ESO, that's fine. but to say it's a class based system like most themepark mmo's have is highly inaccurate, that's all i'm saying.

@Mardukk ;who has played the game has said the following

'I can't stand the constant questing.  The game didn't offer enough of an illusion of freedom and non questing things to do.  I keep going back thinking this time I'm going to really play it.  I play for a few days and quit for the above reasons, every time.'

this game sournds terrible and to be frank you guys are just making the whole problem worse. I am out of here, take care and have fun
    ^^^^Exactly what majority of players that bought this way overpriced game think. A lot will never return unless their are major changes from top to bottom. I do not mean in gameplay it self. This has been one very badly coded thought out game. The top guy thinks well let's give them this (TG) then give them (DB) yet leave all major bugs from beta still there. Then add more bugs from the TG & DB DLC's. 

One thing I find amazing they sold us the game as another DAOC yet the PvP has been broken from beta. Now they are going to eliminate that and allow us full access to the whole game play with whoever you want. 

Yet a lot of us keep going back and hoping things have changed. It can be fun enjoyable on PC, consoles is a whole nother story. Xbox one being the worse, pay for a sub never get the crowns and Zenimax blames Microsoft when it is clearly Zenimax fault. PS4 I hear is a lot better. Oh and the world is pretty beautiful so there is that.

Sometimes it's not always about what you can see or hear but what's under the hood of a game that's most impressive. Between those thousands and thousands of lines of code, magic happens. Sometimes the most amazing feats of gaming wizardry happen without you even noticing.

Rob Manuel

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Marelius said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    baphamet said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    baphamet said:

i'm not saying it's the game for you, i'm telling you it is a skill based system at it's very definition lol. why don't you tell me why i am wrong? simply preferring not to pick a class at the start isn't proving anything as i already told you the effect the starting classes have on the game.

even if you do prefer to not pick a class at the beginning, it's still far from a class based system like you were saying it is.

racial skill lines, something few complain about being in the game, are exactly the same as class skill lines in ESO. you pick a race based on the racial skill line of that race. the only difference is class's have 3 skill lines instead of 1.

you are also locked into the racial passives and always get them with every build, not true with the class skill lines.

Can I become a character that doesnt even come close to resembling a mage even though I picked a mage by doing non mage related activities and by doing said activities those skill points increase in the non-mage like areas?

or 

you allocate where you put the points, as any character you will level up the skills you use that allows you to allocate those points. if you use medium armor and a bow then it will unlock the skills in the medium armor and bow skill lines.

you will then be able to use the skill points you acquire to purchase the skills and passives in those skill lines as you wish. this shit isn't rocket science, it's a skill based system.

picking a class is just picking the three class skill lines you want to choose from and just like any other skill line in the game, you don't have to use them or put points in things you don't want or need. but you will have to use that skill line to unlock the skills and passives if you want to use them, like any other skill line.

i don't care if you don't like ESO, that's fine. but to say it's a class based system like most themepark mmo's have is highly inaccurate, that's all i'm saying.

'I can't stand the constant questing.  The game didn't offer enough of an illusion of freedom and non questing things to do.  I keep going back thinking this time I'm going to really play it.  I play for a few days and quit for the above reasons, every time.'

this game sournds terrible and to be frank you guys are just making the whole problem worse. I am out of here, take care and have fun
    ^^^^Exactly what majority of players that bought this way overpriced game think. A lot will never return unless their are major changes from top to bottom. I do not mean in gameplay it self. This has been one very badly coded thought out game. The top guy thinks well let's give them this (TG) then give them (DB) yet leave all major bugs from beta still there. Then add more bugs from the TG & DB DLC's. 

One thing I find amazing they sold us the game as another DAOC yet the PvP has been broken from beta. Now they are going to eliminate that and allow us full access to the whole game play with whoever you want. 

Yet a lot of us keep going back and hoping things have changed. It can be fun enjoyable on PC, consoles is a whole nother story. Xbox one being the worse, pay for a sub never get the crowns and Zenimax blames Microsoft when it is clearly Zenimax fault. PS4 I hear is a lot better. Oh and the world is pretty beautiful so there is that.

The questing system has nothing to do with whether the game has a skill-based system similar to Skyrim's (as opposed to something like WoW).

Sean was just grasping at straws, quoting some random negative post about the game because his/her understanding of the skill-system has been thoroughly proven incorrect, which is not surprising since they haven't even played the game apparently.

Regarding your post, I encounter very few bugs in the game and the pvp in particular is a blast for the style they have gone with (RvR).
    SEANMCAD said:
    baphamet said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    gervaise1 said:
    SEANMCAD said:

ok..

good day to you sir!

you cannot assign points into skills unless you use that certain skill, this has all been explained to you multiple times which you have ignored.

http://www.esohead.com/calculator/skills

again, for like the 5th time.......click that link and tell me why you think that isn't a skill based system. 

you have to do the activities or you cannot put points in that skill, its a very simple and easy concept to understand yet you just cant seem to grasp it.

if only you were here to actually have a discussion and not just to troll...

you remind me of the people that call everything a wow clone just to get under peoples skin.

edited July 2016
    Marelius said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    baphamet said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    baphamet said:

or 

wait, so all major bugs from beta are still there? 

for example, there were bugs in beta that prevented you from progressing in major quest chains, you are telling me those are still there?

not everyone likes the game and that's fine, but spreading bullshit doesn't help.

• MagikarpsGhostMagikarpsGhost Member RarePosts: 689
    I have been with ESO since beta, the game has come a long way. Sure it still has its bugs but they are all newer ones. the older progression stoping bugs have been fixed (thank god). The game is fun so long as you do not do what most of the morons on this site did and expect it to be skyrim online. It is a mmo first and TES game second.

They are constantly adding new dlc and even added a crafting bag for subscribers. it holds anything and everything crafting and has freed my inventory and bank. They will be adding costume dyes and such as well. They also did away with the horrid veteran levels and replaced them with champion points that are account wide. So if you are like me then lvling alts is not a pain.

This site has always been very anti-eso even since before launch but then again this site has been turning toxic over the years. So expect to see a lot of BS posted about it.

free 7 day sub and unlocks for swtor new accounts and 90+ day inactive subs click here to get it!

Click here for trove referral, bonuses to both!

jircris said:
    I have been with ESO since beta, the game has come a long way. Sure it still has its bugs but they are all newer ones. the older progression stoping bugs have been fixed (thank god). The game is fun so long as you do not do what most of the morons on this site did and expect it to be skyrim online. It is a mmo first and TES game second.

They are constantly adding new dlc and even added a crafting bag for subscribers. it holds anything and everything crafting and has freed my inventory and bank. They will be adding costume dyes and such as well. They also did away with the horrid veteran levels and replaced them with champion points that are account wide. So if you are like me then lvling alts is not a pain.

This site has always been very anti-eso even since before launch but then again this site has been turning toxic over the years. So expect to see a lot of BS posted about it.
    I posit that if you read the posts you would find that the vast majority are positive. This is the site that voted ESO mmo of the year.