Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What makes an effective guild leader in WoW? Please participate in a PhD study!

smysirlakismysirlaki Member UncommonPosts: 13
Hi!

I am PhD student at the School of Information & Communication Technology,  University of Piraeus, Greece and I am looking for participants in my PhD study!

The link to the questionnaire is: http://goo.gl/forms/U3rliIpU67Kk0aXI2

The aim of this study is to examine the relationship between a Guild leader’s emotional intelligence and transformational leadership in MMOG’s (Massively Multiplayer Online Games) teams. 

The results will provide scientific data that contribute to the limited research in the field and highlight the importance of emotional intelligence in achieving the cohesion and effectiveness of a virtual team. 

Your participation in this research is voluntary and anonymously and will involve completing an online questionnaire that should about 15 minutes to complete.

Thank you so much for reading this and hopefully taking part! 

Your time and help is greatly appreciated!   

Comments

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    edited July 2016
    *ignore*
  • MegilindirMegilindir Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Ignore aswell. PhD gives a budget to make people spare time while you want an easy cake of a research. Personal skills needed here for you. Wish it was that easy to complete a thesis solely posting on forums and whatnot.

beLIEve

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

PhD student and your analyzing mmo players ?

Well I'm both an mmo player and a professional with many years of being a supervisor.  And I can tell you nothing has to do with each other......MMo's are games and just that.

Sure I like playing as a team in games, but at the end of the day, I turn my computer off and have no better understanding of leadership.  Infact if I play too long, I find myself more irritated with real life people.  

Do your research on something else, video games have no relevance !

• Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    The same skills most good leaders possess. You know what they are.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Allow me to suggest that the only real criteria for becoming an effective Guild Leader in WoW is actually having a WoW account and lots of available time.  Pretty much any combination of player personalities can and do succeed, games are remarkably like the real world, seeing as the primary population is composed of people.

I think the best advice I can offer is to find another topic for your theses.  If you made your study about corporate leaders instead of game leaders, it would probably be more advantageous for you and whatever career path you hope to take.

I'll take a look at the survey later, but no promises.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    What would make this any different than any other group or organization leader? What makes for a good Boyscout Troop Leader? Wouldn't it be the same here?
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    I had a look.  Not the worst example of a survey, but there were enough problems.  Some specific complaints.
    • Numerous questions had no Other options.  ex. I am not a low-level, mid-level or high-level employee.  I am retired, but that wasn't an option for a mandatory question.
    • A lot of the agree/disagree questions I had no way to formulate an answer.  Specifically, I have no way of knowing if my Guild Leader learns from their experiences in a game; I do not know them in real life.  If I were the Guild Leader, I would basically be answering questions about my impression of my performance as a GL.  There wasn't an option for Not Applicable, or No Opinion.
    • There was a definite bias in the entire survey that presumed that the gaming experience developed real-world skills.  There didn't seem to be any clear way to indicate that any learning I may have gained came from the outside world, not the games I have played.
    • The font sizes and selection boxes (especially for the agree/disagree questions) were not at all friendly to anyone with impaired vision.  It was difficult to distinguish the individual points I was supposed to evaluate, and the radio buttons in the form were incredibly difficult to find, tiny blots in a vast white area.  The questions themselves needed some king of vertical distinction to keep the question text from appearing to be a run-on mess.  That may be a feature of the survey site, but even selecting that site alone would be enough to disqualify your candidacy, at least, if I were evaluating this candidacy.  For PhD candidate in Communications, I think a higher standard of professionalism and care is needed.
    • Throughout the entire survey, questions presumed that I a) played a single game; b) belonged to exactly one guild; c) I wasn't the guild leader; d) had been with the guild a sufficient time to evaluate the guild leader; and e) the guild leader had been stable and had not changed in my experience.
    • The entire survey felt as if the questions were merely copied from a textbook and placed into a matrix of radio buttons.  I got no inclination that there was any original thought behind the questions, or the premise.  It all felt a bit stale, but at least it wasn't stale with an overt bias towards a predetermined result.  (I think you might learn a bit more by asking 'Where did you learn <leadership skill>?  Don't have / In game / On a Job / Education / Self Taught.')
    Fortunately, I am not likely to mess up your survey.  My answers should easily be an outrider, as all the answers provided were in the Strongly Disagree category, even when I could have made different answers.  If it messes up your survey, well, next time I guess you'll know to put in a 'Not Applicable' option in your answer matrix, or at least not make every question be mandatory.

Despite the issues, good luck with your studies.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    edited July 2016
    DMKano said:
    Sociopaths make the best leaders, because they are goal oriented and have no regard for the individuals.
    Huh, http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/comment/7004435/#Comment_7004435

Different words, same conclusion.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    More DoTs
  • DvoraDvora Member UncommonPosts: 499
    If it's a pvp based game, you have to be able to school everyone else in your guild in 1vs1 pvp.  If not you get no respect.  And you must be unemployed & on welfare, or independently wealthy.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    There just has to be better topics to study than this.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    This is all you need in a guild leader in WoW...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLDytJC655c

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018