Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

lol what is going on with radeon

makasouleater69makasouleater69 Member UncommonPosts: 1,096
edited July 2016 in Hardware
I just saw some fps on the 480 and it is worse than the 390, and the 390 wasn't any better than a 290x with 8 gbs haha. What is radeon on doing, literally just releasing the same card with different names over and over again. I can't say I paid to much attention to it, but I assume they are going to release a 490, and it will has the same fps as a 390, which has the same fps as a 290, which really wasn't that much better than a 7970 over clocked. Guess Amd is just focusing on the consoles. 

Comments

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    I just saw some fps on the 480 and it is worse than the 390, and the 390 wasn't any better than a 290x with 8 gbs haha. What is radeon on doing, literally just releasing the same card with different names over and over again. 
    Did these boards really get this bad...?
  • Rich84Rich84 Member UncommonPosts: 55
    Whats the point of this thread? are you trying to justify a recent fanboy edition purchase?

The RX480 is on par or beats 390/x for $240 and uses alot less power.

The 1060 is only 5-10% better and the FE edition is $300 don't see you complaining about it? 
  • makasouleater69makasouleater69 Member UncommonPosts: 1,096
    edited July 2016
    Gdemami said:
    I just saw some fps on the 480 and it is worse than the 390, and the 390 wasn't any better than a 290x with 8 gbs haha. What is radeon on doing, literally just releasing the same card with different names over and over again. 
    Did these boards really get this bad...?
    Well, I have owned a 7950, 7970, 290x, and 390x before I just totally got out of the waste of money they are lol, and went to a lap top and stopped caring about graphics. But none of them was really that much of a improvement over the other, and the 290x and 390x were literally the same card, so much the same card I was able to switch bios between them. I think they are turning into straight up scam artists, praying on people who didn't do research before hand. At least when you go from a 680, to 780, to 980 you see a big improvement, and a lot less power drain. I am honestly surprised AMD is in business. 

They aren't doing well in laptops either. I bought a 500 dollar radeon laptop that had a dedicated amd graphics card, and then i took it back and bought a intel i3 6th gen lap top, and the difference in fps were not noticeable, but the heat between the 2 was. Btw the i3 laptop only cost me 300, amd def loses in everything. Must be still milking the PS4 and Xbox train, not caring about Pc. 

I am not trying to be a intel fan boy either, I use to just buy which one was better, and cheaper, but Amd doesn't even seem to be competing any more. It is like comparing the special Olympics to the Olympics. 
    edited July 2016
    Rich84 said:
    Whats the point of this thread? are you trying to justify a recent fanboy edition purchase?

The 1060 is only 5-10% better and the FE edition is $300 don't see you complaining about it? 
    According to this it doesnt beat it, it is like 10 fps lower.  . As for a fan boy, I don't buy graphics cards any more, I think they are a waste of money. I just find it hilarious that now for 3 generations of their cards, they all sucks, and from the 290 to the 390 they were literally the same card. Now that i look alittle closer the 480 is also clocked higher. 
    Rich84 said:

The point of this threat is to make fun of Amd for turning into a worthless company producing the same product and putting a new name on it and re selling it. I find that amusing. 
  • MickyknoxMickyknox Member UncommonPosts: 61
    I am still running a 680 gtx and was hoping to see if AMD was going to make a single gpu card that can compete with the 1080 but that does not look like its going to happen. kinda sad that theres no competition for Nvidia and now they can charge what they want for there cards because up here in canada the 1080 is 900 bucks 
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    Whether a Radeon R9 390 or Radeon RX 480 is better depends on where your bottleneck is.  The latter is better at just about anything that happens on the GPU chip proper (though often not by very much), while the former has more memory bandwidth.  The Hawaii chip also has a lot of compute stuff that was left out of Polaris, but much (all?) of it is disabled in Radeon cards.
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    O.O what a weird thread. People are acting like a mid-range card will compete in the high end. As the number suggests, the RX 480 is not meant to be the next generation R9 390. Its just that the performance is expected to be around the R9 390. AMD will be releasing the Vega cards in late 2016 early 2017 that will be replacing the R9 390, Fury, and what not.
    The difference is in AMDs release preference compared to nVidias. AMD released their mass market card first while nVidia released their enthusiast card first.
    Mickyknox said:
    I am still running a 680 gtx and was hoping to see if AMD was going to make a single gpu card that can compete with the 1080 but that does not look like its going to happen. kinda sad that theres no competition for Nvidia and now they can charge what they want for there cards because up here in canada the 1080 is 900 bucks 
    Yeah it is retarded. I think Amd is just milking the Ps4 and xbox train. I would go with the 980ti, if u were gonna buy anything. The 980ti only gets like 10-15fps less, and is literally like 300-400 dollars cheaper. Going on ebay for as little as 350, new 400. So that is 500 dollars cheaper, i mean 500 bucks for 10 fps is insane lol. But I wouldn't recommend buying a amd anything. The 480 wouldn't even be much of a rival to your 680, and cost you 300. So the 980ti for 100 more, gets you literally like 50-80 fps more then a rx 480, which my guess is the same thing as a 380x, i bet you like the 290 and 390 you could change the bios of the 2. Lol and the 390x seems to be going for 350 or so. Which gets between 40-60 less fps then a 980ti.

Yep just skip amd, unless you just want to waste money. I am not being bias either, i honestly dont give a shit if it says amd or intel, i throw the stickers in the garbage and couldn't even notice anyways. Amd just apparently doesn't care any more, and wont invest money intill they run out of money with xbox and ps4. 
    Rich84 said:

The point of this threat is to make fun of Amd for turning into a worthless company producing the same product and putting a new name on it and re selling it. I find that amusing. 
    The Polaris 10 chip in a Radeon RX 480 is barely half of the die size of the Hawaii chip in a Radeon R9 390X.  It's also half of the memory bus width and only a little over half the power consumption.  That makes the cards massively cheaper to produce, yet it still gets about the same performance.  The cost savings are passed on to consumers, or at least will be once there is ample supply that you can find the cards at MSRP.  That sure sounds like progress to me, and it most emphatically is not just taking the same product and giving it a new name.

Polaris 10 isn't a high end chip meant as a replacement for Hawaii or Fiji.  The high end cards in the new generation are coming later with Vega, and they'll surely be massively superior to the 28 nm cards.
    Mickyknox said:
    Yeah it is retarded. I think Amd is just milking the Ps4 and xbox train. I would go with the 980ti, if u were gonna buy anything. The 980ti only gets like 10-15fps less, and is literally like 300-400 dollars cheaper. Going on ebay for as little as 350, new 400. So that is 500 dollars cheaper, i mean 500 bucks for 10 fps is insane lol. But I wouldn't recommend buying a amd anything. The 480 wouldn't even be much of a rival to your 680, and cost you 300. So the 980ti for 100 more, gets you literally like 50-80 fps more then a rx 480, which my guess is the same thing as a 380x, i bet you like the 290 and 390 you could change the bios of the 2. Lol and the 390x seems to be going for 350 or so. Which gets between 40-60 less fps then a 980ti.

Yep just skip amd, unless you just want to waste money. I am not being bias either, i honestly dont give a shit if it says amd or intel, i throw the stickers in the garbage and couldn't even notice anyways. Amd just apparently doesn't care any more, and wont invest money intill they run out of money with xbox and ps4. 
    I don't know about bias, but you're definitely being ridiculous.  If you're looking to spend around $400 on a new video card today, the card to get is a GeForce GTX 1070.  It's available now for not very far above MSRP.  The AMD card targeted at that market segment simply isn't out yet.

If one assumed that all of the nominally launched cards of the new generation were available at MSRP, then the choice between AMD and Nvidia would be a simple question of budget.  Below $260, you get whichever of the Radeon RX 460, 470, or 480 fits your budget.  Above that, you get whichever of the GeForce GTX 1060, 1070, or 1080 fits your budget.  The only real exception to that is that there's a pretty good case that the GTX 1060 isn't faster than the RX 480 by a large enough margin to justify the higher price.

Of course, none of those cards are available at MSRP today, and the GTX 1070 is the only one that's even close.  Some of those that MSRPs could change by the time they are.
    Xodic said:
    AMD has already made it clear that they after the low/mid market.
    They're not going to dump $1 billion in R&D to compete with Nvidia when they can instead focus on power efficiency and stability while keeping the price down. That's why they have a console deal now and that's why people buy AMD cards. Their market is affordable quality, not 10 tons of melt your face FPS.

If I remember correctly, the new AMD cards are improved and better suited for VR games than the previous cards.
    Lol they don't comepete with low and mid range either, unless you just dont care, and just want to follow a name, like Apple, which sell obsolete junk for 8 times the price. 

Low end lap tops, Amd sells a a10 with a chessy dedicated graphics card 500 bucks, intel sells a i3 6 gen lap top with no graphics card, that uses half the power, and only loses literally like 2 fps which is un noticeable and sells it for 300 bucks. 

You say the 480 is mid range ha, it sells for around 300 bucks. Only a fool would waste 300 bucks, when if they saved 100 more, they could get a 980ti and get literally 40-80 fps more. I mean if we go with fps per dollar that is a really good deal considering the 1080 is 300 more and only gets like 10 fps more than a 980ti.

Not to mention the fact that you could buy a 970 haha for 50 dollars less than a 480, and the 970 beats the 390x, which the 390x gets better fps than a 480. So I dono what your smoking but they sure as hell anit competing with any one, other then the people who buy it because they dont know whats going on. I also know 100 percent for a fact the 970 is better, then the 390x because I had both of them. I bought the 390x put it in, it shot out more heat then a small space heater got between 20-25 fps in ark, and 50-70 fps in dying light with the new update, then i took it back and traded it for the 970 since best buy lets you do that. The 970 used literally half the power, and I could barely feel the heat, or hear the fan, mind you the 390x was literally louder than my vacuum cleaner. It got 25-30 fps in ark, and the around the same fps in dying light. 

So again, what are they competing with again? Maybe your referring to apple they are competing with haha, apple some how sells a phone that is like 3 to 4 years behind current android phones, example being a lg l3 which has a 2k screen more ram a expandable memory, and a better battery, which at the time of the i phone 6 which only had a 1080 screen which literally sold for like 1 grand, the lg g3 was 300 bucks.

Maybe amd does have cult worshipers like apple, apparently it must, or it is milking the ps4 and xbox. Because if you take reality into account, amd doesnt have anything, but garbage that gets to hot, runs worse, and is more expensive than intel. 
    Quizzical said:
    Mickyknox said:

I don't know about bias, but you're definitely being ridiculous.  If you're looking to spend around $400 on a new video card today, the card to get is a GeForce GTX 1070.  It's available now for not very far above MSRP.  The AMD card targeted at that market segment simply isn't out yet.

If one assumed that all of the nominally launched cards of the new generation were available at MSRP, then the choice between AMD and Nvidia would be a simple question of budget.  Below $260, you get whichever of the Radeon RX 460, 470, or 480 fits your budget.  Above that, you get whichever of the GeForce GTX 1060, 1070, or 1080 fits your budget.  The only real exception to that is that there's a pretty good case that the GTX 1060 isn't faster than the RX 480 by a large enough margin to justify the higher price.

Of course, none of those cards are available at MSRP today, and the GTX 1070 is the only one that's even close.  Some of those that MSRPs could change by the time they are.
    If i was going to buy a card today, it wouldn't be any of them. I would buy a 970 and save my self 100 bucks, getting better fps than a 480 and a 390. If I was trying to save money. If I had 400, you advice of buying a 1070 for 100 dollars more is rediclous. The 980ti is like 350-400 the 1070 is 450-500, they get the same fps. You lost your mind.... I guess your just one of those people who has to have the card with the newest number on it haha. If you were a amd buyer, you would of bought a 390x if you owned a 290x, when they literally were the same card with a different number on it. 
    Xodic said:
    They're not going to dump $1 billion in R&D to compete with Nvidia when they can instead focus on power efficiency and stability while keeping the price down. That's why they have a console deal now and that's why people buy AMD cards. Their market is affordable quality, not 10 tons of melt your face FPS.

If I remember correctly, the new AMD cards are improved and better suited for VR games than the previous cards.
    Lol they don't comepete with low and mid range either, unless you just dont care, and just want to follow a name, like Apple, which sell obsolete junk for 8 times the price. 

Low end lap tops, Amd sells a a10 with a chessy dedicated graphics card 500 bucks, intel sells a i3 6 gen lap top with no graphics card, that uses half the power, and only loses literally like 2 fps which is un noticeable and sells it for 300 bucks. 

You say the 480 is mid range ha, it sells for around 300 bucks. Only a fool would waste 300 bucks, when if they saved 100 more, they could get a 980ti and get literally 40-80 fps more. I mean if we go with fps per dollar that is a really good deal considering the 1080 is 300 more and only gets like 10 fps more than a 980ti.

Not to mention the fact that you could buy a 970 haha for 50 dollars less than a 480, and the 970 beats the 390x, which the 390x gets better fps than a 480. So I dono what your smoking but they sure as hell anit competing with any one, other then the people who buy it because they dont know whats going on. I also know 100 percent for a fact the 970 is better, then the 390x because I had both of them. I bought the 390x put it in, it shot out more heat then a small space heater got between 20-25 fps in ark, and 50-70 fps in dying light with the new update, then i took it back and traded it for the 970 since best buy lets you do that. The 970 used literally half the power, and I could barely feel the heat, or hear the fan, mind you the 390x was literally louder than my vacuum cleaner. It got 25-30 fps in ark, and the around the same fps in dying light. 

So again, what are they competing with again? Maybe your referring to apple they are competing with haha, apple some how sells a phone that is like 3 to 4 years behind current android phones, example being a lg l3 which has a 2k screen more ram a expandable memory, and a better battery, which at the time of the i phone 6 which only had a 1080 screen which literally sold for like 1 grand, the lg g3 was 300 bucks.

Maybe amd does have cult worshipers like apple, apparently it must, or it is milking the ps4 and xbox. Because if you take reality into account, amd doesnt have anything, but garbage that gets to hot, runs worse, and is more expensive than intel. 
    You seem really confused here.  That AMD's CPUs aren't very good at the moment is completely irrelevant to people looking to buy a discrete desktop video card.  It's also likely to change when Zen arrives.  The only way the PS4 and Xbox One are relevant is the likelihood of console ports being better optimized for AMD because they use basically the same GCN architecture.

The MSRP on the Radeon RX 480 is $199 for a 4 GB version or $239 for an 8 GB version.  Supplies are still short at the moment, but it will hit those prices soon enough.  The GeForce GTX 970 typically costs more than that, in spite of being an inferior card.  You could argue for getting a GTX 970 if you absolutely need something today, simply because the RX 480 is so hard to find near MSRP, but that's about it.

Maybe the reason your perception of prices is so far off is that you're going to Best Buy.
    Quizzical said:
    Mickyknox said:

If i was going to buy a card today, it wouldn't be any of them. I would buy a 970 and save my self 100 bucks, getting better fps than a 480 and a 390. If I was trying to save money. If I had 400, you advice of buying a 1070 for 100 dollars more is rediclous. The 980ti is like 350-400 the 1070 is 450-500, they get the same fps. You lost your mind.... I guess your just one of those people who has to have the card with the newest number on it haha. If you were a amd buyer, you would of bought a 390x if you owned a 290x, when they literally were the same card with a different number on it. 
    GeForce GTX 980 Ti:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709 600565061&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=30

GeForce GTX 1070:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709 601204369&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=30

Okay, so it's a $10 difference.  But as I said above, maybe the reason your perception of prices is wrong is that you're going to Best Buy, which is famous for inflated prices.
  • mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,504
    Xodic said:

1 - 970 doesn't beat a 390x, infact my 290x were on par with 980's until the 980Ti came out and pulled away slightly, the 390x from what i hear is pretty on par with a 980ti

2 - the rx 480 beats the 970.. it is in fact between a 970 and 980 in performance in some cases being on par with a 980 for a fraction of the price and power use

3 - promoting buying previous gen is a stupid idea, when new gen is more cost effective.

4 - the 680 was a far superior card to the 780.

5 - if you throw vulcan and aync compute into the mix, in several cases the 480 outperforms the 1070

6 - the 1070 and 1080 are still fantastic cards

7 - take a breath.
    Xodic said:
    Xodic said:

So I dono what your smoking but they sure as hell anit competing with any one,

I'm not going to argue with you about it. You're clearly unreasonable.

I bought AMD stock in March and so far it's the best stock I have ever invested in. So if not being competitive sees this kind of growth, then it's absolutely fine with me.

- And just to clarify, I use nothing but Nvidia in my builds.
    Expect the stock price to change wildly.  If Zen arrives this year and is better than Sky Lake, even $20/share seems too low.  And if Zen is a disaster on the order of Bulldozer, expect that stock to go poof as AMD declares bankruptcy and sells off the GPU unit and whatever else they can find of value.  There's a whole lot of space between those, of course, but how good Zen is will tell a lot about how profitable AMD is going to be for the next several years.
  • Rich84Rich84 Member UncommonPosts: 55
    We need AMD now more than ever.

New Titan X $1200USD...WTF

900 series including 980TI moved to legacy support...the 980TI is barely a year old

This vid covers a few reviews of 480/1060/980 - I do believe he is AMD leaning but a decent overview stil i think

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited July 2016
    Gdemami said:
    <snip>
    <snip>
    <snip>

They aren't doing well in laptops either. I bought a 500 dollar radeon laptop that had a dedicated amd graphics card, and then i took it back and bought a intel i3 6th gen lap top, and the difference in fps were not noticeable, but the heat between the 2 was. Btw the i3 laptop only cost me 300, amd def loses in everything. <snip>
    This is part of the "problem" for both AMD - and NVidia as well for that matter. Intel 6th gen. Specifically Intel Iris and Intel Iris Pro.

Once useless these have now improved to the point were the bottom end of the market is facing extinction. And they are eating into the mid range market as well. Which hurts volumes; which hurts costs. Throw in the decline of PC sales / growth of mobile and the cost of R&D ...

Ironically AMD have a decent on-board graphics processor. For AMD however the sale of an on-board gpu would come at the expense of a discrete card sale. 

Edit: just saw the comment about Zen. The rumour is that Zen will also feature a powerful integrated GPU. Are we looking at the final chapters in the history of discrete graphics cards? A while yet but it happened with sound cards and lots of other "discrete cards" that used to be plugged into the motherboard.
  • SuraknarSuraknar Member UncommonPosts: 852
    The Price range of the RX 480 is great. I do nto care about 5% diference in performance itis not as if I will even perceive it. While a GForce user for many years now I am going to switch with my new rig this time, because of the Performace/Cost effectiveness of AMD.
    - Duke Suraknar -
    Order of the Silver Star, OSS

ESKA, Playing MMORPG's since Ultima Online 1997 - Order of the Silver Serpent, Atlantic Shard
    gervaise1 said:
    Gdemami said:
    <snip>
    <snip>
    <snip>

They aren't doing well in laptops either. I bought a 500 dollar radeon laptop that had a dedicated amd graphics card, and then i took it back and bought a intel i3 6th gen lap top, and the difference in fps were not noticeable, but the heat between the 2 was. Btw the i3 laptop only cost me 300, amd def loses in everything. <snip>
    This is part of the "problem" for both AMD - and NVidia as well for that matter. Intel 6th gen. Specifically Intel Iris and Intel Iris Pro.

Once useless these have now improved to the point were the bottom end of the market is facing extinction. And they are eating into the mid range market as well. Which hurts volumes; which hurts costs. Throw in the decline of PC sales / growth of mobile and the cost of R&D ...

Ironically AMD have a decent on-board graphics processor. For AMD however the sale of an on-board gpu would come at the expense of a discrete card sale. 

Edit: just saw the comment about Zen. The rumour is that Zen will also feature a powerful integrated GPU. Are we looking at the final chapters in the history of discrete graphics cards? A while yet but it happened with sound cards and lots of other "discrete cards" that used to be plugged into the motherboard.
    With the move to putting integrated graphics on the same die as the CPU, we finally got integrated graphics on a cutting edge process node.  That happened in 2011, at which point AMD and Nvidia stopped making new tiny GPUs for $30 discrete cards, as integrated graphics ate that market.  Instead, Nvidia still sells a GeForce 8400 GS from 2007 and AMD sells a Radeon HD 5450 from 2010 as their low end GPUs.  The lowest MSRP for a 28 nm discrete GPU other than oddball salvage parts is something like $70.  On 14/16 nm, it's unclear whether anyone will bother to make any discrete card with an MSRP below $100.

But today's integrated graphics are still starved for memory bandwidth, as 128-bit DDR4 for system memory just isn't enough for higher end graphics, and trying to make a 512-bit DDR4 memory bus would be absurdly expensive.  Put HBM on package and that problem goes away.  At that point, discrete video cards completely vanish from laptops in a hurry.  The technology to do it is there today (albeit expensive), and you'd better believe that it's coming.  It's a question of when, not if.

That's not a problem for AMD, as they'll still be selling the integrated graphics.  But that's a big problem for Nvidia, as they can't do gaming CPUs.  The laptop video card market that they've dominated for the bulk of the last decade is going to simply vanish.

In desktops, discrete video cards will still be around for a while.  There's still the issue that cooling 300 W in a CPU socket is awkward, and the upgrade market will be there for quite some time.

But integrated graphics fed by HBM is going to eat up much of that market, too.  If you can get a CPU for $200, or the same thing with integrated graphics that performs like a $200 discrete card for $300, that $200 discrete card isn't terribly tempting, is it?  Certainly not in a new system.  And if you're willing to give up the ability to add a discrete card later, there's no real reason to make that whole system larger than a shoebox.

This isn't a problem for AMD, as they'll be the one selling you that high-performance APU.  Intel might get in on that if they can ramp up graphics performance far enough.  But this is a big problem for Nvidia, as the desktop video card market is going to shrink dramatically.

It's also a big problem for board partners like Sapphire, EVGA, MSI, and Asus, as AMD doesn't need a video card board partner to make an APU.  There will still be motherboards to sell, and video card board partners tend to be involved in other markets, too.
  • wandericawanderica Member UncommonPosts: 370
    edited July 2016
    Mickyknox said:

You most certainly are being biased, although possibly unintentionally.  You're also greatly misinformed on several things.  It sounds like you set your expectations too high for this mainstream card.  It's lower mid-range.  The 1070 is aimed at upper mid-range rigs with the 1080, upcoming Titan X (Pascal), and expected 1080 Ti filling out the high end niche.  AMD's Vega is their high end chip, and is expected late 2016 or early 2017. 

As mentioned, the 480 is bandwidth limited, which leaves a lot to be desired on the performance side of things in 1440p.  However, for a $240 card, it's quite competitive in 1080p in DX11.  In the (very) few DX12 titles available, it sees a significant improvement in performance compared to Maxwell cards from Nvidia.  What you're doing here is the equivalent of saying that a R9 280 can't compete against a GTX 970.  Of course it can't.  It was never meant to in the first place.  Now if AMD had decided to call it the RX 490, then I would certainly agree with you, but It has been widely known that Polaris 10 was meant to be a mainstream card since December. 

Here's a few benchmarks for you.  I certainly won't disagree that the discounted 980 Ti is an amazing deal right now.  An overclocked 980 Ti is the only thing out that can stand up to the 1070 and 1080, but we still don't know what Vega will bring.  Some of your statements are just ridiculous, though.  A 680 isn't anywhere close to the 480.  It's a solid upgrade for any 680 user on a budget (as is the 1060), and to say otherwise is just flat out wrong.  I game at 1440p on a 144 Hz monitor, so I opted for a 1070, but that doesn't mean the 480 is crap.  Do some more research.

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    I'm going to wait for some more reviews about the RX 480 as it is a product that interests me, although i have not owned an AMD card since 2009.

AMD lost the cpu race to Intel by miles and miles. Let's hope they can stay on NVIDIA's tracks. I do not want to consider what will happen if the later becomes the only player in the gfx market.
    Rich84 said:

The point of this thread is to show how ignorant I am when it comes to chip design, die size and power consumption, along with how stupid it is to compare a new generation mid range card with previous generation high end cards.
    Fixed it for you.
    Your just still personally mad at me, from my other post, and just take anything I say and twist it, to try and personally attack me. O well, I don't hold it against you, you after all are a Social Justice Warrior, there is not much hope for reality to get into that ego filled head of yours. 
    Quizzical said:
    Xodic said:

You seem really confused here.  That AMD's CPUs aren't very good at the moment is completely irrelevant to people looking to buy a discrete desktop video card.  It's also likely to change when Zen arrives.  The only way the PS4 and Xbox One are relevant is the likelihood of console ports being better optimized for AMD because they use basically the same GCN architecture.

The MSRP on the Radeon RX 480 is $199 for a 4 GB version or $239 for an 8 GB version.  Supplies are still short at the moment, but it will hit those prices soon enough.  The GeForce GTX 970 typically costs more than that, in spite of being an inferior card.  You could argue for getting a GTX 970 if you absolutely need something today, simply because the RX 480 is so hard to find near MSRP, but that's about it.

Maybe the reason your perception of prices is so far off is that you're going to Best Buy.
    True, best buy was my source for the information. If 199 is the MSRP, then your right everything I said would be wrong. The 480 is def the choice out of all them if it was 200 bucks. So I concede the point then, when the supply catches up and the card gets to the price it should be at, then your absolutely right, it would 100 percent be competing.