Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dark and Light: a true sandbox MMO. Official trailer!

FilburFilbur Member UncommonPosts: 254

Snail Games has re-revealed Savage Horizon, which has been in development since 2005, as Dark and Light. With the new name also came an upgrade to Unreal Engine 4.

1. Development of the game started way back in 2005.

2. The game is apparently over 40,000 square kilometers, 40 times the size of World of Warcraft. In this huge open world, there will be 10 races separated into 3 factions. Of course, these races will be available for players to choose. They include humans, elves, beastmen, dwarves, fairies, demons, dragons and more.

3. When players create a character, the system will generate an unique growth path for them. All players will get to try out the various battle and life classes at first in order to allow them to choose a class most suited for them to progress. Eventually, a well-trained character will be a sword-wielding warrior who is able to throw fireballs in the middle of battle!

4. Other than the battle classes, there will be a variety of life classes for players to play as. Having your own shop (like a real actual shop space), going on a trade expedition, a skilled blacksmith, a world-renown herbalist, a wandering storyteller, a knowledgeable historian, a dragon trainer (gasp!)… All these and more is possible in Darkness and Light! These unique classes will cater for players who are not so much into battles.

5. When players eventually gain a huge amount of honor and recognition, the kingdom will bestow him with a title and a piece of land. With the piece of land, players can build a grand castle from scratch, eventually turning the areas around it into a town! If the player is lucky, there will be a time where a gold mine is discovered in the mountains within his territory, which can be farmed by the citizens of the town.

6. There will be an active and live weather change system. Snow, fog, sunny, rain, hailstorm… all these will have an effect on the world. For example, if a snowstorm suddenly strikes, trading markets in town will close shop early. When players use a massive AOE ice skill during such a time, a mega blizzard will be formed!

7. All players will be within the same server. Other than just plain grinding for experience points, activities like taking part in political campaigns and even trading will nab players with points.

Comments

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    what is the difference between "sandbox" and "true sandbox"?
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• lindhskylindhsky Member UncommonPosts: 162
    Looks nice. With a big World like that I wish they don't make it smaller by having fast flying mounts and portals. For once I wish a game use the concept huge World for real. And since it is an asian game I am sure the weapons will be over dimensional and that is also a big turn off for me. If it was a 3+ faction game with wars in special zones and wars that matters, many classes, not too easy and normal looking characters, weapons and armor I'm in.
  • FilburFilbur Member UncommonPosts: 254
    waynejr2 said:
    what is the difference between "sandbox" and "true sandbox"?
    Prior to release Black Desert and ArcheAge has been marketed as sandbox MMOs as well. But this one looks like a "true sandbox MMO" if you ask me.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    "What is dead may never die..."

I think the original developers of "Dark and Light" probably introduced the world's gaming public to the concept of overpromised and underdelivered indie projects, lol

It was an epic mess of unfulfilled promises and even featured a lawsuit about alleged IP theft by the developers.

Given Snail Game's reputation, they will probably be resurrecting it with a very robust Cash Shop to animate the corpse... :D
  • DaikuruDaikuru Member RarePosts: 797
    Looks promising, but im a bit skeptical because its an chinese game, but we will see, will keep an eye on it.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

- Albert Einstein

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Dark and Light? its not even April 1st, but even so, i am kind of wondering what the punch line is to that particular joke?
    Phry said:
    Dark and Light? its not even April 1st, but even so, i am kind of wondering what the punch line is to that particular joke?
    As far as I know, Snail Games bought all rights to the original game about ten years ago.

A few more details from 2P.com:

Dark and Light is now powered by Unreal Engine 4. The expansive game world is one of the biggest selling points in Dark and Light. The game offers 40,000 square kilometers of land, which is 40 times larger than the world in World of Warcraft. Players can build or destroy houses, villages or even kingdoms in a world with high freedom. Dark and Light offers 12 races, 14 different classes and 3 factions. The game emphasizes the interactions between players and the game world. Players are encouraged to lead the way the whole game world goes.

Also known as Savage Horizon, the development of Dark and Light has a really long history and by long history I actually mean 12 years. The game debuted at E3 2004 and Snail Games acquired the right to develope the game in 2008 but since then, Dark and Light has been kept under the radar. However, a new trailer has been released, giving us some sneak peak at this massive sandbox MMORPG.

http://2p.com/44112448_1/Snail-Games-Announced-Two-New-Sandbox-MMORPG-Dark-and-Light-amp-Voyage-Century-2-by-cindyhio.htm
    Phry said:
    I'm guessing that the original developers somehow persuaded Snail Games to buy their game and continue development.

I can't remember what happened with the original legal issues around the game, but perhaps the Chinese will simply ignore that small "inconvenience".
  • Riotact007Riotact007 Member UncommonPosts: 246
    gameplay or cinematic footage??
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    edited July 2016
    Phry said:
    They can't figure out what they want to call it.  The article the OP linked to is from 2011 and is for Darkness and Light AKA Savage Horizon AKA Dark and Light.  

There is another article on that website dated today that says the game is now Dark and Light.  It does have the original game's art work of a split open world in the title image.  All the article says is they changed to the Unreal Engine 4.  http://mmoculture.com/2016/07/dark-and-light-new-game-trailer-for-ambitious-sandbox-mmorpg/

The original Dark and Light IP was sold to a Chinese company.  

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    I played the old version it had potential but in the end it tanked.
    I used to love flying around with my pet dragon over the mountain tops landing in the middle of nowhere and feel how big the world was.
    Kinda miss it.
    Here is the old trailer

• rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788
    cool gfx, like it

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Daikuru said:
    Looks promising, but im a bit skeptical because its an chinese game, but we will see, will keep an eye on it.
    Nope it was actually a French game, many of you we're probably not around when the original came out. It's the same size world but everything he been redone. My forum name is actually used after this game . 

At last we are seeing new vids. 

• LleithLleith Member UncommonPosts: 126
    It's been in development for 11 years?
    Grunty said:

That explains how Snail Games have gotten hold of it 10 years later then.

I'm just surprised that they would keep the original name, which has such negative connotations associated with it.
  • scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    Lleith said:
    It's an old, old game that's been given a new graphics engine.
    Grunty said:

I'm just surprised that they would keep the original name, which has such negative connotations associated with it.

Think you will find it's Savage Horizon in the west and Dark. & Light in China

scorpex-x said:
    Lleith said:
    They took the name and ideas and built a new game around it. I doubt that Snail's Dark and Light has anything to do with the old one.
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Grunty said:

I never bought into the game because I thought they were snake oil salesmen with all that they promised but apparently I signed up for a newsletter from the orginial developers.  I don't remember signing up for it but I was still receiving happy birthday emails from them up until about 4 years ago.  Apparently someone forgot to turn off the database server and automated mailer application.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
    Filbur said:
    scorpex-x said:
    Lleith said:
    They took the name and ideas and built a new game around it. I doubt that Snail's Dark and Light has anything to do with the old one.
    But why keep the logo and title of the original D&L if the new version "has nothing to do with the original" ?

It's not like "Dark and Light" is a valuable IP that will pull in millions of players, lol. Probably the opposite , in fact... :D
    scorpex-x said:
    Lleith said:
    Not just a new engine, the whole game has been redone. If you played the original you will not recognize any of the cities, towns or characters. It has literally been turned into a brand new mmo. 

The world is the same size and the concept is the same but don't for one minute think it's the same game just with a graphic overhaul. 

Did you play the original, I did so I can tell you it's not the same game. 

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    I played the orginal and really liked it .. Shame they had all the interanl turmoil and court issues , I remebering reading 2-3 years ago that Snail had aqired the IP , Good to see them doing something with it , Lets hope they dont attach a crapcashshop to it and ruin the experience
    Filbur said:
    scorpex-x said:
    Lleith said:
    But why keep the logo and title of the original D&L if the new version "has nothing to do with the original" ?

It's not like "Dark and Light" is a valuable IP that will pull in millions of players, lol. Probably the opposite , in fact... :D
    Maybe that's just a chinese thing and the game will be marketed as Savage Horizon (the original working title) in the west. Who knows :)
    Grunty said:
    Grunty said:

You could still post on the forums two years ago, the game was actually free to play for 4 years. 
    I never bought into the game because I thought they were snake oil salesmen with all that they promised but apparently I signed up for a newsletter from the orginial developers.  I don't remember signing up for it but I was still receiving happy birthday emails from them up until about 4 years ago.  Apparently someone forgot to turn off the database server and automated mailer application.

You could actually post on the forums up until two years ago, the game was f2p for four years. 

Switching to UE4 is how they expect people to forget when they were sued along with the games original devs by the owner of the BigWorld engine, when the original devs sold the game to SnailGames without telling them the engine wasn't their's to sell. This game's fiasco was right up there with the Age of Mourning scam.

Big Z never forgets.

And little Z doesn't have play it, all that court stuff is dead and gone, it's years later. 

Not even worth talking about.