Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Recent state of the world and how it's changing you

MegilindirMegilindir Member UncommonPosts: 223
Hey folks,
Just wanted to blow some steam off. This real life stuff and drastic change of things in today's world has started to bother me deeply. You know, it was always a rusty ride around the globe and now its getting rustier and foggier. I believe at some point we all wanted to get away, remember or forget some values while gaming in our rooms and how passionate we were. Now. i fail to get any joy out of any game because you know..constant challenge of conscience is a tough business, getting oneself away from that screen..Am i making no sense? If not, what do you think?

beLIEve

Comments

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    High walls will cure a lot of what is wrong.
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    It's not just you.  I've noticed random strangers seem to have shorter tempers in general.  I try not to get caught up in the craziness of the world as much as I can help.  My son is an innocent 2 year old soul, and is watching my every move it seems; that's a good motivator for me to stay centered.  If I ever feel like a given situation is too much to handle, I've found the best direction to go is up.

This quote also helped me recently: "Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy." -Thich Nhat Hanh

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• HulluckHulluck Member UncommonPosts: 839
    edited July 2016
    All I can do is try and be the best person I can possibly be everyday. Raise my two children to be good,honest, hard working people and try and stay grounded and keep things in perspective. It is a challenge on many a day but that is life. I can only control my own business not others. I use gaming many times to remove myself from drama or to unwind and sometimes just to have fun for fun's sake.   
    I dont play many games or crap anymore. Dont need escape. But being the best person I can be. Worrying about myself. Ignoring the stupidity and b.s. in person and the crap the media is pushing. I try to avoid it.  Also conceal carry, i can respond to imminent fear of death to mysel or family instantly. Not that i hope that ever happens. But ill drop an idiot should they put me in a fear of death situation..  Kinda gives me piece of mind with all the crazy going on in general. To not legally carry for protection if you live where it's allowed, crazy at this point in time.  Not to mention range time and shooting in general sport , practice, training. Great release and fun. Who doesnt like shit going boom.
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    I always used to say to myself.. as long as things are going well.. I'll make time for games.  

I used that in all facets of my life.. my relationships..  my job.. general financials.  If something was off I'd take the extra time I'd play games into working on those things.

Lately things have been tougher.. and I've still felt things were well off enough that I could spend some time with a game now and then,  but a lot of things can wear you down over time.

I see a lot going on I disagree with these days.. but for the most part I leave myself out of the equation,  take care of things the best way I know how, and make hard choices that will make an impact on my daily life. 

It won't always go well for me.. or for any of us.. but as long as we're moving towards something positive.. even if it's figurative.. I think there's a reason to keep your head up. 

• freakkyfreakky Member UncommonPosts: 113
    edited July 2016
    Yeah I hear and feel you. I have use games as form of escapism for long time. I look at the world and I feel like I'm becoming one of those doom and gloom people, ranting and raving about the end being near. I know we as people have come long way and been threw worse times. I just think I know better way the world should be cause I want to control it, like I control my video games. The world is what it is, not what I want it to be. Yes people can be the change. Change takes lot of work.  I find as I get older I care less about the world and more about myself. I can at least try to control myself.  Just don't stare into the void to long is the best warning I could give you. It's your life do what you want. I feel I was trying meet other people's standards for so long. I feel as long as I am not hurting other people, I don't see a problem. It's good to try to understand the pros and cons of things too. Don't be scared to make mistakes cause they are the best way to learn.

Just my opinion, Best wishes to all. 

Forgive my grammar please, lol.

Good lucks and have fun. 
  • ThevoicefrominsideThevoicefrominside Member UncommonPosts: 11
    edited July 2016
    A clear sign of the world being in the toilett and waiting to be flushed, when comments like the following one in reviews are considered "funny", and some "people" even support these kind of reviews, but no one with the power to do something against it seems to give a s* about it.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/kakakakakapuya/recommended/212070/
    "It would be easier to gas 6,000,000 jews."

Flagged on the first day? Check.
    Reported to the Steam Support? Check.
    Reported to the Star Conflict Support? Check.
    Waited for weeks, then tried to contact mmorpg.com and other gaming webpages about this? Check.
    Nothing happening even after close to a MONTH? Check.

And i'm sure, that there are more such kind of comments on Steam these days.

i can't eat as much as i want to throw up
    Max Liebermann
    Post edited by Thevoicefrominside on
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    OG_Zorvan said:
    A clear sign of the world being in the toilett and waiting to be flushed, when comments like the following one in reviews are considered "funny", and some "people" even support these kind of reviews, but no one with the power to do something against it seems to give a s* about it.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/kakakakakapuya/recommended/212070/
    "It would be easier to gas 6,000,000 jews."

Flagged on the first day? Check.
    Reported to the Steam Support? Check.
    Reported to the Star Conflict Support? Check.
    Waited for weeks, then tried to contact mmorpg.com and other gaming webpages about this? Check.
    Nothing happening even after close to a MONTH? Check.

And i'm sure, that there are more such kind of comments on Steam these days.

i can't eat as much as i want to throw up
    Max Liebermann
    You went through all of that hassle over some anonymous persons comment. Stop being # triggered and just move past that shit. Everyone is so damned worried about what every one else is saying and doing, they don't take a second to wonder about their own state of being. I have enough problems in my own small piece of the world, if I had to get upset and go on politically correct vendettas every time someone said something I found "offensive", I'd be in the friggin' nuthouse by now.
    Listen to the Z man.  He's had a lot of experience being locked up around here.  Always comes back for more too.  

Eventually. :D  

Hiya Zorvan.  Been working on being a little more mellow myself.  Not much more but a little.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,707
    Its all about perspective. 

If you take a step back from the world the media portrays and try to look at the bigger picture, life is pretty good. For the average person in the world, life is much better now than it was 50 years ago. There are less wars, less disease, more food, more comfort, longer lifespans, less barriers to self improvement etc. 

Are there still problems? Of course, terrible things happen every day. 

But, this world is on a path of self-improvement. It just takes time. We're slowly seeing the erosion of religion in the world which is a massive positive. Global alliances are making war less and less likely with each passing year because the people who generally start / incite wars are increasingly more likely to lose. Advances in medicine are continuing to help us cure disease and live longer, healthier lives. 

That doesn't mean there aren't things to be worried about, but the majority of things we see and read about in the media aren't things we can control and are blown out of proportion. The trick is to not feel guilty. The media (especially the left wing) tries to make many of us feel guilty about our own lives. This is especially true if you are white and middle class. 

There is only one thing that has me worried and has affected me in real life:

The negative effects of social media. 

Most studies have shown that social media has a negative effect on our social abilities. Rather than enhancing social interactions, social media has been replacing normal social interactions like going out to the pub with friends, hanging out at peoples houses, parties of all varieties, hell, even just chatting on the phone. As a result, children and adults are starting to struggle socially which is leading to many social health problems. Given that 1/6 of the world uses facebook, let alone other social networks, this is a problem that is only going to get worse. As people get more social awkward, they become more isolated and that can lead to bad things.