Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

StarCraft Universe Open Beta Begins - MMORPG.com News

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageStarCraft Universe Open Beta Begins - MMORPG.com News

After five years in development, the KickStarter-backed Starcraft Universe, an MMO built using the Starcraft 2 modding tools, has finally hit open beta. The Starcraft Universe team raised nearly $90k via KickStarter and will continue to support the project through an Indigogo campaign.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    I've been waiting for this one and will definitely give the OBT a look. :)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• LleithLleith Member UncommonPosts: 126
    What an unusual take on the genre. And it really blurs the line between mod and fresh IP. Kind of shocked Blizzard allowed it to reach fruition.
    Lleith said:
    What an unusual take on the genre. And it really blurs the line between mod and fresh IP. Kind of shocked Blizzard allowed it to reach fruition.
    Using their tools, published on their platform, no problem. The only thing Blizzard asked them to do is change the original name from World of Starcraft to Starcraft Universe.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    edited July 2016
    I'm gonna have to say that there is no way Blizzard will allow this.

Ah its a mod.  My bad.  Of course they will allow it because they are going through Blizzard in order to play it.
    Post edited by filmoret on
    Are you onto something or just on something?
    edited July 2016

filmoret said:

This is ALREADY hosted on BattleNet on the Starcraft Mod section. Blizzard is A-OK with this. In fact, the open beta mod is the FOURTH one hosted on BattleNet since they've released the game incrementally.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• dotdotdashdotdotdash Member UncommonPosts: 488

filmoret said:

They already came to an agreement with the team, way, way, way back in 2013-ish. It's hosted on BattleNet. Has been since the very beginning. More generally, Blizzard have a fair use policy that allows mod authors to crowd fund and solicit donations to fund the development of mods ( like most game companies ).
  • NixeskaNixeska Member UncommonPosts: 39
    Sadly no zerg classes, so I'll have to pass for now.
  • SirmatthiasSirmatthias Member UncommonPosts: 562
    I'll have to say Optimus Prime got busy crossing dimensions
  • Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    This mod could really balloon out into something much larger. Definitely worth keeping an eye on it.
  • UnleadedRevUnleadedRev Member UncommonPosts: 568
    edited July 2016
    I did not even know about this! UGH....their website is suxor! email verification doesnt work or is slow. 404 page not found when navigating the site.
    I did not even know about this! UGH....their website is suxor! email verification doesnt work or is slow. 404 page not found when navigating the site.
    Might want to check out their Facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/StarcraftUniverse/

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

edited July 2016
    SBFord said:

You know what's funny, between their Facebook page, MMORPG, and other websites, it does not say how it is installed.

edited July 2016
    SBFord said:

You know what's funny, between their Facebook page, MMORPG, and other websites, it does not say how it is installed.

You have to have Starcraft II installed and then can access the mods section once you're logged into Battle.Net & SCII.

http://mygaming.co.za/news/pc/99962-this-amazing-mod-turns-starcraft-2-into-a-free-multiplayer-role-playing-game.html

Despite requiring a StarCraft 2 installation, you don't need to buy a copy of the game – simply download the free Starter Edition and install the mod.

Main features:

• Up to 6-player multiplayer raids.
    • Fully voice-acted characters and dialogue.
    • Procedurally-generated storylines and missions.
    • Command and crew a ship with other players, Star Trek-style.
    • 8 playable classes, Terran or Protoss.
    • Vehicle combat.
    • Fly and explore distant planets with your squad or alone.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• joeslowmoejoeslowmoe Member UncommonPosts: 127

Lleith said:

Blizzard doesn't have a problem with people legally using their content. Why are people so stupid they don't understand the difference between authorized use and theft?
  • joeslowmoejoeslowmoe Member UncommonPosts: 127
    edited July 2016

filmoret said:

They've already allowed it [MOD EDIT]. Understand the difference between a project like this and illegal projects which blatantly steal an IP.

Blizzard is pretty annoying for a number of reasons at times, but defending themselves from theft of their IPs isn't one of them.
  • VorpalChicken28VorpalChicken28 Member UncommonPosts: 348
    This is an impressive achievement, and the game is great, these are the type of games that should be supported.

Kudos Upheaval Arts
    “Nevertheless, the human brain, which survives by hoping from one second to another, will always endeavor to put off the moment of truth. Moist” 
    ― Terry PratchettMaking Money
  • ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    game looks ugly as hell.
    SBFord said:
    SBFord said:

You have to have Starcraft II installed and then can access the mods section once you're logged into Battle.Net & SCII.

http://mygaming.co.za/news/pc/99962-this-amazing-mod-turns-starcraft-2-into-a-free-multiplayer-role-playing-game.html

Despite requiring a StarCraft 2 installation, you don't need to buy a copy of the game – simply download the free Starter Edition and install the mod.

Main features:

• Up to 6-player multiplayer raids.
    • Fully voice-acted characters and dialogue.
    • Procedurally-generated storylines and missions.
    • Command and crew a ship with other players, Star Trek-style.
    • 8 playable classes, Terran or Protoss.
    • Vehicle combat.
    • Fly and explore distant planets with your squad or alone.
    Ah, thank you so much.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    edited July 2016

filmoret said:

They've already allowed it [MOD EDIT]. Understand the difference between a project like this and illegal projects which blatantly steal an IP.

Blizzard is pretty annoying for a number of reasons at times, but defending themselves from theft of their IPs isn't one of them.
    Its a mod.  Completely different then what you are thinking.  Which is why Blizzard allows it because they allow mods.  Now they will never be able to sell or make any money off it.  Blizzard holds that key alone.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
    edited July 2016
    SIGH.......like trying to freaking find the Holy Grail.
    You have to click on the Arcade Tab once in SC, then select prologue, then click play to create your character etc.
  • BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    DMKano said:
    Of course Blizzard doesn't mind this as you have to buy Starcraft2 before you can run this mod.

Anything that increased their sales is A-OK

IMO this is a mod not a game because it can't run without the base SC2 game
    The starter edition is all you need?
    BizkitNL said:
    DMKano said:
    Of course Blizzard doesn't mind this as you have to buy Starcraft2 before you can run this mod.

Anything that increased their sales is A-OK

IMO this is a mod not a game because it can't run without the base SC2 game
    The starter edition is all you need?
    From what I understand, that's correct.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

WOW! I really like it "so far"....
    I only played about 30 minutes, but liked what I saw.
    I now need to read more about the game.
    Although, I have never played ANY SC2 MODS, at least so far this game is filling a much needed NICHE.
    Why cannot Blizzard just make a Starcraft MMORPG instead of the silly Overwatch (shooter)?
    Regardless, maybe if enough people play this game Blizzard will get the hint.
    So far the game IMHO is like a combination of WoW, WS, and OW.
  • simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    If anyone wants to check it out I'll probably play later.  ezpz#1137
    If anyone wants to check it out I'll probably play later.  ezpz#1137
    I am still learning it, as I kind of just jumped in.
    Man.....the potential!