Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why don't you go for a pro web dev instead...

ChingoChingo Member UncommonPosts: 128

After being finally done:

- Front page is identical to the old one

- The forum page has white background and different font but the same layout/content

- Etc.

If you paid for this job to the 'web shop XYZ' you have been screwed. After watching this fuckup I'm beginning to think I should have gone for a 2 week web dev online course instead of the Master's degree in comp sci. Also, I should have hit myself in the head with a brick in order to learn what you seem to accept as web development. Now, who is your web dev lead the nephew of?

Comments

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    We are back on the old site and the forum skin hasn't been reverted. Pro developer team is who designed the new site, and they can't get it handling our traffic load. Next steps are being discussed.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    Why dont you talk to the owners of stupidly popular forums/website as well, namely D2JSP and Something Awful ?

If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • RidrithRidrith Member RarePosts: 802
    I'd personally be asking for a partial refund or at least try to get some cash back, maybe a credit or something with those guys. Everyday the site isn't up and running you guys are losing ad revenue, right? Not to mention thousands of people are lost without these forums and the information posted on this website!  :D
    I like to complain about games.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Why dont you talk to the owners of stupidly popular forums/website as well, namely D2JSP and Something Awful ?

Because there is no point doing so...

2 distinct, specific systems with specific issues.
    Gdemami said:

Website to present news.

Forums to discuss said news.

Why make it harder than it has to be?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786
    I liked the old site before the update just fine.  It wasn't great but it was predictable.  There is value in that.

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989
    Gdemami said:

Website to present news.

No offense...but don't you think they know this? Bet they've been doin this a while longer than most.

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

Gdemami said:

Website to present news.

No offense...but don't you think they know this? Bet they've been doin this a while longer than most.
    Sometimes "common sense" is not so common as we might think.

Specially when this company has never done anything near this scale, as you can see here:

https://axelerant.com/our-work/

So I think this site is way way out of their league.
  • zimikezimike Member UncommonPosts: 160
    Honestly, what was wrong with the original website? I actually thought it was very efficient and easy to use. The new designed looked like Honorable and I had trouble just trying to navigate around it. The Featured section on the left side of the page contained a list of video with incomplete descriptions and the all white theme just plan sucks in my opinion. 
  • ChingoChingo Member UncommonPosts: 128

I (had to set bold before being able to type anything) really "like" the site and read it daily. I hope the guys doing the upgrade after taking the 2h online course in JavaScript and HTML get it right soon.

• HytekHytek Member UncommonPosts: 153
    Delivery performance of the current people in charge of the new website is laughable at best - a result of a huge loss in revenue for mmorpg.com at worst.

Working in IT myself, it makes me extremely angry when I see this kind of poor performance from a provider. They sell you on the promise of the world at half the price but fail to deliver. It's absolutely unacceptable and by now I would demand a full refund, no questions asked. If a refund was not possible, I would demand the work done (source code and other content) delivered to me on storage, cut my losses and move on to another, proper provider with whom you I could get authentic referrals, proving that they are up to the task. 

By now, this is a joke gone on for too long. It's amateurish and makes mmorpg.com look bad and incompetent. 

I have found in my lifetime, that the beauty of hating stupid people is, that it crosses all racial boundaries.

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,676
    When I click to a previous page on a topic it goes to the background advertisement instead. In this case Riders of Icarus every time.
  • ThoemseThoemse Member UncommonPosts: 457
    I am just glad the update had some trouble. At first i thought this is the update. I seriously don't like the current design. 

Good luck with fixing the issues.
  • DaranarDaranar Member UncommonPosts: 392
    Pro developer team is who designed the new site, and they can't get it handling our traffic load. 
    Cuz everyone wants to be "trendy" with massive amounts of JS which wreck havoc on performance.  Nobody makes proper use of defining PHP constants and everyone insists on generating more dynamic links with PHP instead of static HTML when appropriate and ends up making a billion SQL calls per click.   It's just the result of "trendy" Web Development companies that earn business from their flair rather than their performance and reliability.

If I want a world in which people can purchase success and power with cash, I'll play Real Life. Keep Virtual Worlds Virtual!

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Hey guys. I'm a random nitwit on the internet. I'm here to give  advice on stuff I know absolutely nothing about it. To make things even better, I have no grasp on anything that's going on behind scenes.

What MMORPG should do is ask people who they may or may not know, who don't even have responsive websites, how to do stuff.

This message was brought to you by:

"As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Daranar said:
    Pro developer team is who designed the new site, and they can't get it handling our traffic load. 
    Cuz everyone wants to be "trendy" with massive amounts of JS which wreck havoc on performance.  Nobody makes proper use of defining PHP constants and everyone insists on generating more dynamic links with PHP instead of static HTML when appropriate and ends up making a billion SQL calls per click.   It's just the result of "trendy" Web Development companies that earn business from their flair rather than their performance and reliability.

Everyone is trying to sell something.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• Cellarkid88Cellarkid88 Member UncommonPosts: 56
    edited July 2016
    Please understand that this is just not a blog-website or a forum. It is a superset of functionalities and custom-made code which accumulated over the years that - when migrating to a completely different system - can have side effects and performance issues. You can't just copy something from place A to place B in most cases - code is almost always tied to its environment (even when we wish it to be modular and interchangeable).

I would argue that load-testing on a site like mmorpg.com isn't easy as well -  sure you can calculate bandwidth and network strain and run basic tests by simulating X amount of users - but reality can/will always catch you off guard when suddenly 5000 Users want to press something you didn't optimize well enough.

With multiple technologies, frameworks and webservices usually accompanied alongside PHP (or even ASP.net) finding those issues can become a nightmare. It is the stuff that lets you lay in bed up until 2:00am and crinche your teeth because you cant locate the problem since everything talks with everything and you're in debugging-hell. The bigger the software the more prevalent such issues become.

It has nothing to do with being a "pro" or not. They surely had a "Staging"- and "Development"-Environment. That doesn't tell you always how the final product will perform, though.
    Post edited by Cellarkid88 on

Winning a discussion is not what it's about. If you could pass insight to someone or learn something from it in return - noone can really loose, can they?

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    I think by "traffic load" Bill Murphy means the 40+ adware, trackers, market trackers, and other assorted crap widgets they bombard everyone who logs on here with.

It is hard to get that level of spamware working correctly!

:/

Seelinnikoi said:
    Why making it simpler than it is?

Oh wait, I know the answer...
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    edited July 2016
    Burntvet said:
    I think by "traffic load" Bill Murphy means the 40+ adware, trackers, market trackers, and other assorted crap widgets they bombard everyone who logs on here with.

It is hard to get that level of spamware working correctly!

:/

I ran webpage test for this thread:  http://www.webpagetest.org/result/160727_YG_BB6/

Loading way too much imo.  They should take advantage of CDN everywhere they can.  Not sure if they can do compressed images with their ads but they should insist on that at the very least.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    Instead of bashing and putting down the new website we should all be trying to offer suggestions on how it can be improved; In a constructive polite manner. I have faith it will all be solved in time. These things take time, and trial and error is part of the process. The first thing you learn in Computer Science is patience. If you lack patience never pursue a career in CS. A lot of us love this site, and we should support it in a positive manner.

• MitaraMitara Member UncommonPosts: 755
    A bit like launching an MMO, it never works from the start :)
    edited July 2016
    Instead of bashing and putting down the new website we should all be trying to offer suggestions on how it can be improved; In a constructive polite manner. I have faith it will all be solved in time. These things take time, and trial and error is part of the process. The first thing you learn in Computer Science is patience. If you lack patience never pursue a career in CS. A lot of us love this site, and we should support it in a positive manner.
    ...you seem not to be familiar with term "armchair general".

• emrys666emrys666 Member UncommonPosts: 11
    I am glad the upgrade crashed and burned a second time. I hated the new design for the brief time it was up. That was one seriously ugly site that looked hard to read compared to the existing format. When I come to the site I basically glance at latest news, recent forum activity box, and the active contests/giveaways. If the new design takes more than a few seconds to find and look at that stuff then I probably won't bother with anything on the site but giveaways.
  • DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    It's definitely embarrasing, but I don't find it a particularly engaging topic.

So, they suck at web design and implementation. I'm here for the exchange, not the look of the design.