Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is the Living World Harming Rather Than Helping?

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageIs the Living World Harming Rather Than Helping?

Guild Wars 2’s Living World Season 3 is right around the corner and in this week's column, it would be rude not to discuss such an arrival. With Season 2 having begun on July 1, 2014 and culminating in the launch of Heart of Thorns, it’s with relief that Season 3 is finally on the horizon. For all the things that I loved about Season 2 and Heart of Thorns, its climax was particularly weak and yet I enjoyed most things leading up to it.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    The Living Story is necessary for GW2 at this stage. It's not perfect but without it the game just falls static and the PvE is nothing but grinding to getting X legendary thing.

GW2 was always this amazing MMO with very good design decisions but a poor upkeep after release that have failed to polish and fix upon the problems upon the design they went for. It's almost as they are disconnected from their community and keep following through a path the playerbase does not want them to. What is sad =/
  • DiovidDiovid Member UncommonPosts: 44
    Lewis, you say "No one doubts that creating Living World content is time consuming, but is it really worth it at the expense of permanent additions to the world?" But everything added after season 1 of the living story was permanent. I think you meant 'permanent outside of story instances' or some such. Even then, we've had 3 open world maps, as well as various achievements, collections and fractals added to the game. We've had new pvp maps (not a lot but a few). We've had new WvW borderlands (which were removed again due to player request). We've had non-gem store armor sets (again, a few but still).

You can say that it hasn't been enough but you can't say that it wasn't there.
  • ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    "Living Story" at this point is no different than any other mmos normal patch. And it is spaced a lot farther too.
  • MorlewenMorlewen Member UncommonPosts: 45
    edited July 2016
    Living World id more than story instances. LW2 brought us two maps with the connected achievements, a weapon set and a armor set. LW is a mixture of story instances and permanent open world content. I hope Arenanet has learnt the lesson from LW2 and shifts the focus more to the open world content. More world and less story: That is the melange that will bring the game forward. Since the LW is now a paid part of the expansions, a large-sized LW3 will also increase the HoT sales. A baby-sized LW3 will harm Arenanet a lot. It would send the signal that the LW concept is not taken seriously and the future expansions will deliver content once at release with 18-24 months of content drought.
  • APThugAPThug Member RarePosts: 543
    I think you've brought up one of gw2's biggest down falls; it takes too long for them to create new content. That, and the game continues to be heavily misunderstood by most people.

Not entirely the player base's fault. Anet has been all over the place trying to please everyone with all three of its game modes. Which in turn have spread themselves far to thin, trying to offer new stuff and make changes to the current stuff. That, and they've had a long history of trying to do new things/ experiment with features they think would be cool that the game should have, only to stop providing for them over another idea or another feature.

Gw2 hasn't found its proper footing on how exactly they want their game to be handled. It was only after heart of thorns did they finally come to terms with how they would like to continue development, they just need to continue it. But they take too long to offer it.

I have a feeling gw2 finally understands where it wants to go. It just needs to quicken it's pace.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    the fact that once you missed the earlier living world content, you could never experience it was a horrible decision. Phasing in games have been around for quite a while and it was a super disappointing they couldn't be bothered to implement it.
  • meonthissitemeonthissite Member UncommonPosts: 917
    LOL I have to have a laugh at this whole thing and just shake my head. You see we pointed everything in this collumn out when it first launched and their original "living world" was out. Poor acting too few updates, and crappy budget for the updates, problems implementing rewards for the time spent, nothing to speak of when it came to achievements and what they gave the player.

Here we are 4 years later with new people in charge and you're still seeing the same thing. At what point do the shareholders sit down and say, hmmm, none of what you tried is working, maybe we should replace you all with the original team that actually started off making this game great before 3 months into the launch when they scared them all off. Maybe they should bring back those original folks to actually do something about this game and it's terrible design flaws and lack of content.

If you want to see a company that does it the right way look no further than Zenimax.
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    LOL I have to have a laugh at this whole thing and just shake my head. You see we pointed everything in this collumn out when it first launched and their original "living world" was out. Poor acting too few updates, and crappy budget for the updates, problems implementing rewards for the time spent, nothing to speak of when it came to achievements and what they gave the player.

Here we are 4 years later with new people in charge and you're still seeing the same thing. At what point do the shareholders sit down and say, hmmm, none of what you tried is working, maybe we should replace you all with the original team that actually started off making this game great before 3 months into the launch when they scared them all off. Maybe they should bring back those original folks to actually do something about this game and it's terrible design flaws and lack of content.

If you want to see a company that does it the right way look no further than Zenimax.
    Too few updates?  They were releasing content every 2-3  weeks during season 1.  There were also plenty of achievements during those releases.

I'm not trying to excuse Anet, but their expansion set them back, hence the long delay of season 3.  They definitely need to speed up their process of development, because their release schedule is unacceptable, especially when compared to other mmos.
  • DiovidDiovid Member UncommonPosts: 44

the fact that once you missed the earlier living world content, you could never experience it was a horrible decision. Phasing in games have been around for quite a while and it was a super disappointing they couldn't be bothered to implement it.

Anet agrees and that's why they stopped doing that after the first season.
    I think they bailed on phasing because they already had a lot of bugs they couldn't and still haven't fixed and this adds to that in a game breaking way that forces them to fix them to make the update playable.

Gw2 is doing ok now, just didn't have the huge spike you usually see when new expacs release.

And with all of the disappoints people over the xpac, makes me wonder how the next will turn out...probably not even as well as hot. I suppose we will see.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

I think it is ok for things like that to happen.  If you weren't motivated to play the game when it was live well, you deserve to miss out. 
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

It's not always desire that makes you miss stuff, it is Real Life
  • RadooRadoo Member UncommonPosts: 298
    We're here to talk about things from the wrong perspective.

Living Story is not harmful or beneficial on it's own.
    Everything content related should be viewed from the player's perspective.
    Do GW2 players want this kind of content? Would the developers be able to address this kind of updates on a regular basis in an exclusive manner, or would they be able to also provide additional and different content?
    These are my questions regarding this "Living Story" topic and based on my experience, Gw2 since release hasn't seen any grow since release. Take the LFG system that was in beta for years, or the class weapon changes that only recently were done, masteries lacking in impact and options... and so forth. There are so many systems and features in this title that have suffered from the Living Story campaign that was being baked through out the years, without developers even noticing player feedback.
  • onelesslightonelesslight Member UncommonPosts: 161

waynejr2 said:

I think it is ok for things like that to happen.  If you weren't motivated to play the game when it was live well, you deserve to miss out. 

If Anet can't be bothered to cut out that limited-time only crap that it and games like WoW like to do, then they deserve to miss out on my money. 'Cause I'll be busy playing MMOs that let me do things at my own pace.