Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I might be interested the gold edition but I have some questions.

kolpokolpo Member UncommonPosts: 30

Hello, I might be interested in buying the gold edition once it releases but I have some questions.

1) Is this game really free to play? swtor and EQ2 also claim to be free to play but there are so many restrictions and annoyances that it is no longer worth it.

2) Can I solo well and be welcome in a group with the same character? Like in FFXIV could the arcanist use his summoner pet to solo and his scholar pet to heal, he was great in both. I like playing non-dps roles in groups.

3) I like the look of the Argonians and was thinking of playing a sorcerer, can this work? Any suggestions for that char?

4) Does is matter whatever I buy this game on steam or on official site?

Comments

• kolpokolpo Member UncommonPosts: 30
    Thanks for your answers. I mean free to play after box purchase like GW2 or diablo3, this appears to be the case, without gimping your char like in swtor or EQ2. The only thing I miss with the gold edition is the new shadows of the hiss DLC, I hope my Argonian wouldn't be gimped too much by this.

If I really like this game could I later sub for one month and us the 1500 to buy shadows of the hist.
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    kolpo said:
    Thanks for your answers. I mean free to play after box purchase like GW2 or diablo3, this appears to be the case, without gimping your char like in swtor or EQ2. The only thing I miss with the gold edition is the new shadows of the hiss DLC, I hope my Argonian wouldn't be gimped too much by this.

If I really like this game could I later sub for one month and us the 1500 to buy shadows of the hist.
    Even if you just own the base game with no expansions/dlc there is enough content in there to keep you busy for a long, long time. 

And yes, its real b2p like GW2 or diablo etc. You won't be gimped even if you don't have every dlc at the start. Its a fantastic game, hope you have a good time.
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    I wouldn't say the content would keep you busy for a long, long time. You could be right up there in content within a year. If you compare the content tl a game such as EQ2 then you really have content which will last you a long, long time. 

OK EQ2 has been out a, long time hence the, term content that, last a, long, long time applies. 

That term does not apply to ESO. 

• GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    edited July 2016
    kolpo said:

Gold edition includes all of the DLC up to the Dark Brotherhood, so until the next DLC you are not limited from any area of the game.  If you have the gold edition these are the benefits of subbing, and you have to decide if they are worth it.

1 - 10% boost to XP gain
    2 - 20% boost to XP as it applies to Champion points (ESO's version of EQs AA system)
    3 - Access to the crafter bag - this is a virtually unlimited storage bag for crafting supplies.  All of your characters put into it, and all of your characters can take anything out of it.  So if your blacksmith character finds wood, when your woodworker logs in they can use the wood you found.  This is a HUGE benefit, and all by itself would be worth the sub to many players, since crafting is very worthwhile in this game.
    4 - 1500 Crowns to spend in the crown shop.  Coincidentally, buying 1500 crowns on the ESO website costs the same as a monthly sub.

And yes, if you wanted to sub for a month you get the crowns, which you can use to buy the DLC.  Most DLC by themselves cost 2500 crowns.  They usually have a super DLC pack available as well for 4000-5000 crowns.  For Dark Brotherhood (5000 crowns) you get the DLC, a unique mount, a unique pet, and some supplies like top tier poisons and epic food.

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Buy to play.
    Current edition gives you the original base game plus the first 6 patches - some of which added new content. It hasn't been "converted" like e.g. SWTOR or LotR.

The announced Gold Edition will feature the current version plus the first 4 quarterly DLCs.

The only question you have to ask is whether to buy the current edition - sub-$20 from authorised sellers, Amazon etc. or the Gold when it comes out at $60ish. Which comes down to how much you might like the game.
    Thanks all I shall wait for the gold edition in September. The reason I prefer this over subscription is the way I play most games: I play them for a while, then stop and return later to play again for a while. Because of this do I avoid a recurring subscription, but I might sub for 1 month when i feel like playing for a while.
    Game is downloading right now. They have a -50% promotion on the game and crowns, for a little over 60 could I then buy the game and 11000 crowns: allowing me to buy the 4 DLC of the gold edition and still have 2000 crowns remaining.
  • MareliusMarelius Member UncommonPosts: 130
    I would just get the sub, they added the crafting bag and believe it you need it or you will be running back to bank a lot! All dlc are free with sub, but if you cancel sub you lose access to dlc's. I just canceled mine and until they fix the lag and bugs I won't be returning. 
    Sometimes it's not always about what you can see or hear but what's under the hood of a game that's most impressive. Between those thousands and thousands of lines of code, magic happens. Sometimes the most amazing feats of gaming wizardry happen without you even noticing.

Rob Manuel

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    If u like crafting, then a sub is a very good idea.  unlimited bag.  you can upgrade your bags in game, for the inventory players like myself.... bag space GOOOOODDD!!

I self identify as a monkey.

• SaunZSaunZ Member UncommonPosts: 472
    i sub just for the unlimited bag

and uh... the crowns

and the bonuses

and for the cool buff on my toon that says i sub

and because ESO is well known universally as the best MMORPG ever!

and because ESO has the best PvP ever!

and because I look down my nose at the lil peepz that don't sub

and because sub sounds WAY kool'r than subscription

and because F2P is like voting for hillary

ESO!   make mmorpg's GREAT again!

Sz  :)