Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Legion Pre-Patch and My Return to Azeroth - Bill Murphy

Comments

• UnleadedRevUnleadedRev Member UncommonPosts: 568
    Like all WoW expansions I am confused as ever. Logged in yesterday and was clueless regarding my builds
  • heerobyaheerobya Member UncommonPosts: 465
    YashaX said:
    This actually sounds pretty interesting. Not sure if I can handle the old-style combat and 3-trillion skills finger acrobatics, but I am seriously tempted to take a look again. From memory ret paladin (don't know if its still a thing) was pretty straight forward on the keybindings, would be fun to test it out with normalized pvp.
    They've done a lot to cut down the 12+ years of buttons to a more manageable number.

My Ret paladin has maybe... 20 skills? Really use the same 5-6 all the time, plus 5-6 situational, and the rest more like buffs or long cooldown. 

Really just have to manage holy power usage and procs, nothing too crazy.

Ret is still pretty easy, some nice new spells with this patch. Great new animations. Also, Legion artifact weapon for Ret is the Ashbringer, so you really can't beat that!

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Nothing wrong with checking things out after taking a few years off.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    Not sure what to make of it yet, but there's a certain freshness to it - due to the superior animations and quality sound effects. Also, I feel I'm looking forward to new abilities more because they added and changed so many.

That said, I worry such sweeping class changes could possibly have been tested thoroughly. I mean, the core designs were made over 10 years ago - and the original development behind them was made up of years and years.

Not convinced they can fundamentally change things like this and have it work without a boatload of thorough testing, and I guess time will tell if they've gone through that.

I think adding challenge to the lower levels is a good idea, because it had became extremely trivial. But, so far, it seems to be more about a higher TTK than an actual increased threat. That's not really what I would prefer.

I'd rather have a low TTK with high threat - than simply dragging out the inevitable. That said, it's early days and it's just my first impression.

Beyond that, it's pretty much the same old WoW.

But I have to give credit where it's due. Blizzard are among the (very) few developers with the courage to alter the guts of their games. They did it with Diablo 3 - and they seem to have done it with WoW.

For the first time in ages, I'm actually enjoying the leveling process.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    DKLond said:
    Not sure what to make of it yet, but there's a certain freshness to it - due to the superior animations and quality sound effects. Also, I feel I'm looking forward to new abilities more because they added and changed so many.

That said, I worry such sweeping class changes could possibly have been tested thoroughly. I mean, the core designs were made over 10 years ago - and the original development behind them was made up of years and years.

Not convinced they can fundamentally change things like this and have it work without a boatload of thorough testing, and I guess time will tell if they've gone through that.

When I played WOW about 5 years ago.  It appeared like they had never class tested anything and the classes were the most horribly balanced I have ever seen out of any mmorpg ever.  All the class changes in recent years gave me hope but its too late for me I had a horrible experience and don't simply trust that it was ever fixed.  These changes look good but its like 8 years too late for someone like me.  I expect more from what is suppose to be the best mmorpg ever.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    edited July 2016
    filmoret said:
    DKLond said:

When I played WOW about 5 years ago.  It appeared like they had never class tested anything and the classes were the most horribly balanced I have ever seen out of any mmorpg ever.  All the class changes in recent years gave me hope but its too late for me I had a horrible experience and don't simply trust that it was ever fixed.  These changes look good but its like 8 years too late for someone like me.  I expect more from what is suppose to be the best mmorpg ever.
    That's interesting, because I had a very different experience.

I thought each class had a very distinct and useful role - and each class brought something unique to the table, which no other class could fully match.

That's not to say it was perfect or that 1-on-1 PvP was balanced, but then - it was never meant to be.

But people couldn't handle not being able to do everything - so they started watering down the roles until all classes could do almost everything.

To me, that's a big step down.

To each his own, though.
  • daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    I will return for sure. Have resubbed month ago, but have experienced all areas of Wod with all my 22 alts and somehow immediately lost interest to play. Actually, my attention was to Swtor, Gw2 and TESO, I'm currently playing 100% of time. Total joy after I have discovered that mouse CAN be used as in all normal MMO's, to move character. I plan to return for sure when invasions start and will try to get back "into" game, learn new things. For 1st week I as usually plan vacation. :-) Wow is still one of the best games ever. Currently my top is Swtor, closely 2nd Wow, then in no particular order Rift, GW2, ... and now TESO.
  • ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318

Sounds like their silence punishment automatically affects people without review.

also, they screwed RP servers by making major cities cross realm.

not off to a great start with those roleouts!!

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Will be playing it on launch day along with the lag and crashes and all the day one fun that comes with it. Only as a casual though. Since customer service was nice to me and added a month and a half of game time.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    edited July 2016

scorpex-x said:

I just can't find any interest in this expansion, even though I'm glad they are focusing on the Burning Legion. WoD was pretty much the straw that broke the camel's back for me.

It's ok, you can play one of the new mmorpg titles coming out instea...oh..

I'm not even playing MMOs these days. I would play WOW on an official legacy server though.

If I returned to themepark MMOs right now, it would be to catch up on LOTRO - I quit partway through the rohan expansion and with a lifetime sub I have access to everything. Or I'd return to SWTOR to finish leveling alts as I really like the stories. I would also prefer checking out GW2 story additions for the expac I bought.

WOW is my favorite MMO of all time but it's just a case of been there, done that. I'm sure if I wait 6-9 months after Legion launches I'll have plenty to do with multiple raid tiers in LFR. and maybe the expansion will be on sale. I also get annoyed that buying the expansion doesn't at least give you a months sub.

MMO's are only one genre I like so it's not a huge deal. I've finally returned to strategy games and have already played 300 hours of Total War: Warhammer and have tons of games I just purchased on the Steam sale.
  • jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    I lost interest with WoW during Lich King. I came back for Cata and left again, I came back for MoP and left again. When I saw what they were doing with WoD I just couldn't be arsed to even look at it.

And it's a shame because it used to be such a great game. I'm one of those miscreants that was playing on Nostalrius and it was so much fun getting back to that old vanilla WoW. I'd happily re-sub of they opened up Legacy servers that never progressed past Lich King, or even if they just stayed Vanilla.

So my preperation for the next expansion is to go play some P99 flavoured EQ.
  • GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    I love how each spec feels different. That's my biggest gripe about WoD, all the specs were very similar.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Gravarg said:
    I love how each spec feels different. That's my biggest gripe about WoD, all the specs were very similar.
    Guys like you are Assholes ;) jk

Now I'm going to have to spend the $15 to sate my curiosity.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• monochrome19monochrome19 Member UncommonPosts: 723
    I want to come back, I just cant think of a reason to. I only play a few classes and returning just to test them out doesnt seem very worth.
  • RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    I am mainly going back to check out the class changes and to try the DH. I know most people don't like class changes but I do. I just wish classes could become more in depth and advanced at higher levels. Like if you are a warlock at 50 you can pick an advanced class etc. They need AA's to be added in the game from EQ.
  • Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158
    Rictis said:
    I am mainly going back to check out the class changes and to try the DH. I know most people don't like class changes but I do. I just wish classes could become more in depth and advanced at higher levels. Like if you are a warlock at 50 you can pick an advanced class etc. They need AA's to be added in the game from EQ.
    To be fair that is kinda what they have done to the specs in the game. Each one feels very different.
  • heerobyaheerobya Member UncommonPosts: 465
    Jimmy562 said:
    Rictis said:
    To be fair that is kinda what they have done to the specs in the game. Each one feels very different.
    Also the artifacts are kind of functioning like AA's from what I understand.

Lots of post-cap leveling to do on the artifacts.

If they turn out well, it turns out to be a fun system, I hope they find a way to roll it forward to the next expansion. Like maybe have us "absorb" the artifacts power into a new talent-tree like thing, who knows.
  • ZendaiZendai Member UncommonPosts: 115

Zendai said:

Oh and by the way to the "Mr.SuperGenius" above, Blizzard fanboys and gurls are such because Blizzard makes consistently the best games in any genre. Look up their numbers, and they crush, consistently, any competition. You don't get that way off of hype alone, you don't maintain that status by "good marketing". You market well, and you back it up, then everything you release afterward, your fans believe in, and they keep giving you money and making new fans. There are people I work with that haven't played WoW since BC that have picked up WoW recently and can't put it down. Maybe you should give it a shot before talking shit and badmouthing anyone that enjoys it as "insane'. Ass.

Your post was very apropos until this paragraph.  At that point, you went off-the-rails in the very manner that has earned Blizzard fanboys and fangurls the ire you disdain.

HOTS is generally considered an average MOBA, relative to the genre as a whole.  And while Overwatch enjoyed all the rage of the hype machine, it had absolutely NO effect on its only direct competition (a 10 year old Valve game that's actually increased its average users since OW's release), so I don't see the latest release as a domination of genre, either.

Both games are certainly polished with clear design philosophies (moreso with OW).  However, neither redefined nor gobbled up their genre competition.  They are, as ever with Blizzard, simply solid video games.

I'm happy to respond.

I thoroughly enjoy HotS as a game, in my opinion, it is much more enjoyable to play than other isometic-esque MOBA's in the genre. And not because it is simpler, in fact, the opposite. They do not overtake DOTA 2 or LoL in revenue or on the competitive scene. So no, HotS is not an example genre domination, the reasons for which are entirely debatable. So when you term average, in what way? Revenue, yeah, probably. In gameplay? I will debate that 'till my face is blue if you want to go down that road.

Overwatch does dominate the genre, which admittedly, is not very large, so it wasn't exactly that hard a of a feat to do. Though in current revenue its competing on the list of highest grossing FPS games of all time, so it does resemble genre domination in quite a few ways, especially in a genre as saturated as FPS games. When someone says over hyped, I like to point out a game that was absolutely hype with no backup: Battlefront (2015 release). Battlefront had a huge hype train following after the new movie release, and because of the limited nature of the Beta appeared fun. When I received the full game however, I found that the game lacked any of the fun factor of the originals as was nothing more than a Star Wars themed Battlefield. It did not follow through into being a solid game, and made most of its money off of that. I have never once felt like I have not received my monies worth with Overwatch as every match is enjoyable and every hero fun to play. If a game backs up the numbers with being a fun game, how is that "overhype"?

Last point is correct. They are solid games, every time. Since Orcs & Humans and beyond.
  • spikers14spikers14 Member UncommonPosts: 531

I'll be back when they implement Legacy servers and not before.

This...although Bill had me thinking about Legion for a minute
  • ArthasmArthasm Member UncommonPosts: 785
    I'll skip for now, don't want WoD 2.0. Class changes, I like some, some don't, but Survival hunter is way too fun.
  • ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    I wish the best for this game. It is a historical game that should be appreciated by its fans. I personally never play it, but I respect the players who do.
    You never ever played it? You honestly are missing something.
    I tried it a few times just never got into it. I am strange like that.

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    I haven't seen Stormwind or Ironforge so packed since Wrath lol. Feels good man. 
  • jonp200jonp200 Member UncommonPosts: 457
    I'm glad people are going to enjoy this. Personally, the destruction of my beloved Warlock class and the overall focus of the last expansion was the nail in the coffin for me but again, glad some folks are still playing and having a good time. I spent many years enjoying WOW.

Seaspite
    Playing ESO on my X-Box

• Phixion13Phixion13 Member UncommonPosts: 190

Phixion13 said:

Kopogero said:

World of Warcraft does better job than any other theme park MMO with PvE, specifically raid mechanics on bosses.

Have to say Wildstar is really where it's at for raids. Datascape sets a whole new standard.

Except there's like 7 people total playing the game.

k - still doesn't mean they have terrible raids. Pretty sure the poor management is what brought this game to it's state, BUT it is a great game itself.
  • nimander99nimander99 Member UncommonPosts: 288
    I'm using the ActionCam during my play and I must say it has made the monotony of combat seem visceral and exciting. I'm honestly surprised they could take lame ass tab target button rotation combat and make it fun. With the new sound effects your attacks seem to have weight behind them.

Also I'm in full agreement with Mr. Murphy, I truly hope to see all of Azeroth Scaled. All that content... wasted. I HATE CONTENT WASTE!