Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is the Most Unique MMO?

Comments

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    edited July 2016
    I appreciated that Asheron's Call was a fantasy setting that was intent on creating it's own elements rather than being another D&D world.

Would pitch kudos too to Planetside for throwing people a curveball as a sci-fi mmofps, though for the originality factor would defer to Neocron. 

For being overall unique though I would say Underlight, An old MMO where the focus of the game was on roleplay mechanics to progress through the game and used the setting of a shared dream world.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,856
    Anarchy Online.
    I loved how the expansions did parallel leveling rather than vertical stacking
  • CyraelCyrael Member UncommonPosts: 239
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned Wizard101 yet.
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,902
    In some ways, The Secret World is different from any other MMO. Unfortunately, Funcom didn't break from tradition where it mattered and forgot to refine the experience across the board. What we got was something unique in certain ways, lifeless in its inability to avoid some of the worst MMO tropes, and utterly lackluster from a gameplay perspective.
  • ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    Deivos said:
    I appreciated that Asheron's Call was a fantasy setting that was intent on creating it's own elements rather than being another D&D world.

Would pitch kudos too to Planetside for throwing people a curveball as a sci-fi mmofps, though for the originality factor would defer to Neocron. 

For being overall unique though I would say Underlight, An old MMO where the focus of the game was on roleplay mechanics to progress through the game and used the setting of a shared dream world.
    I agree Planetside was very cool. I never tried Neocron wish I had.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• DaikuruDaikuru Member RarePosts: 797
    I would say Ragnarok Online and Guild Wars 1.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

- Albert Einstein

Daikuru said:
    I would say Ragnarok Online and Guild Wars 1.
    Two great games :)

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Not sure what my Mount Rushmore might look like. I know one that would be there is Ultima Online.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

I'm scared to be a thread maker. *hides*

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    I'd have to Say CoH/CoX. Everything about that game was done differently.
  • SwampySackSwampySack Member UncommonPosts: 24
    age of wushu's battle system was/is amazing if u're into that kung fu stuff --dodging, blocking, running on walls & water,  gliding mid air & parry moves makes it interesting. been looking for something similar since AoWushu's p2w aspect sucks.
  • AcorniaAcornia Member UncommonPosts: 278
    For it's time the early preCU SWG seemed to be the best game out there even with all the bugs the game had.

The GMs of early DAoC and CoH would appear in game and help you if you had a problem.  Mob that you can't kill because it is hidden in something or under ground, file bug report and GMs would apear, summon you to the place of the mob and kill it for you so you get credit for the quest.  Then send you back the to the party that you were in.   Try and see if that happens now days!
  • natpicknatpick Member UncommonPosts: 271
    ryzom and secret world for sure are two very different beasts in the mmo world.
    Acornia said:
    For it's time the early preCU SWG seemed to be the best game out there even with all the bugs the game had.

The GMs of early DAoC and CoH would appear in game and help you if you had a problem.  Mob that you can't kill because it is hidden in something or under ground, file bug report and GMs would apear, summon you to the place of the mob and kill it for you so you get credit for the quest.  Then send you back the to the party that you were in.   Try and see if that happens now days!
    That level of customer service has faded away in many respects. Good post :)

I tried Salem before and only spent a few hours in it. I tried it because I know it has extensive crafting. My brain started to hurt after the 2nd hour. It's like and MMO / Dawson Creek episode. It was cool too watch if you understand it.

Cheers...

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

I tried Salem before and only spent a few hours in it. I tried it because I know it has extensive crafting. My brain started to hurt after the 2nd hour. It's like and MMO / Dawson Creek episode. It was cool too watch if you understand it.

Cheers...
    MMO Dawson's Creek that made me laugh out loud for real =)
    People just don't appreciate my level of genius in here. :)

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,803
    For me I liked The Secret World overall.  I also like some of the other responses in here as well. 
    I wasnt impressed with The Secret World one iota and Im a big fan of Anarchy Online
  • DilligDillig Member UncommonPosts: 123
    I definitely think the Secret World is the most unique. 

For me I liked The Secret World overall.  I also like some of the other responses in here as well. 
    I wasnt impressed with The Secret World one iota and Im a big fan of Anarchy Online

Well the question isn't what is the best mmo you ever played.
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,074
    phone games I do not count as online games, theyre just multiplayer. 
    @Dragon43591 thanks for sharing; there are MMORPGs that will run on your phone right now, though.  As in: you can interact with hundreds of other players in the same digital space.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,773
    phone games I do not count as online games, theyre just multiplayer. 
    @Dragon43591 thanks for sharing; there are MMORPGs that will run on your phone right now, though.  As in: you can interact with hundreds of other players in the same digital space.
    You are right. There is Order and Chaos which was a full fledged MMO with a monthly fee (on launch now F2P). There is quite a few odd Korean MMO's on there too that all kinda feel the same. Pocket Legends, and all of that companies other MMORPG games they made on there. Graal even got ported to the phone as well as Conquer Online. There's actually a wide selection for phones. Don't know why you don't count them.