Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Free for a week

GatlanGatlan Member UncommonPosts: 141
I didn't see this posted anywhere else, excuse this post if it is.  Looks like SC is doing a free trial this week.
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/promotions/Summer-Free-Fly-2016
I haven't tried it yet and not sure if I'll have time but tell me how it goes.

Comments

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Try out the Sabre interceptor !  :-)  Cool looking ship, sleek and deadly.

Have fun
  • ChujoChujo Member UncommonPosts: 8
    edited July 2016
    So... a free trial of an unfinished game?

Oh. 

Yay.
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Chujo said:

Oh. 

Yay.
    I know, it's hard to comprehend.  But think on it.
  • minagosminagos Member UncommonPosts: 11
    edited July 2016
    My take on the game that I just followed maybe less than a month ago?
    I did it, and brought a pledge, I think the game is great, There is enough stuff to do for the $60.

I have seen 100% release game suck so bad, I didn't play it for no more than an hour.
    This game is loads of fun. You get to fly around in a space ship, park the ship and fly out to different places, rocks, space stations to other ships. I even help someone that was stuck on a station without a ship, back to the port. He had to space fly to my ship, when I open my doors. 

With the little content is has, it's amazing how much you can do. Sandbox games rocks.

The thing is, I really do feel I am in space. That alone is worth the $60

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Chujo said:

Oh. 

Yay.

That was my reaction! 
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    minagos said:
    I did it, and brought a pledge, I think the game is great, There is enough stuff to do for the $60.

I have seen 100% release game suck so bad, I didn't play it for no more than an hour.
    This game is loads of fun. You get to fly around in a space ship, park the ship and fly out to different places, rocks, space stations to other ships. I even help someone that was stuck on a station without a ship, back to the port. He had to space fly to my ship, when I open my doors. 

With the little content is has, it's amazing how much you can do. Sandbox games rocks.

Yeah, as they deal with mainly performance issues (netcode madness) and polish around un-finished gameplay mechanics like the FPS, the whole thing will be way more playable and fun in the whole sandboxy environment it is placed upon right now. But it is fun, specially with friends on adventures however mostly mis-adventures we get ourselves into. :chuffed:
  • ShinimasShinimas Member UncommonPosts: 67
    MaxBacon said:
    minagos said:

Yeah, as they deal with mainly performance issues (netcode madness) and polish around un-finished gameplay mechanics like the FPS, the whole thing will be way more playable and fun in the whole sandboxy environment it is placed upon right now. But it is fun, specially with friends on adventures however mostly mis-adventures we get ourselves into. :chuffed:
    Really? How is it fun? You get into a ship and fly around at Kareah until some of you get randomly sucked out in space and you explode? It's not like there's much to do. I mean, throwing rocks at the riverbank can be fun with a bunch of friends, and you don't even have to pay for it.
    Shinimas said:
    Really? How is it fun? You get into a ship and fly around at Kareah until some of you get randomly sucked out in space and you explode? It's not like there's much to do. I mean, throwing rocks at the riverbank can be fun with a bunch of friends, and you don't even have to pay for it.
    Did you try doing some of the offered missions ?

Did you find the shipwreck in the asteroid belt and looted the sniper rifle?

Did you join any other players in multi-player ships for some group action ?

Did you go bounty hunting criminals (and earn the FPS weapon reward for it) ?

etc.

Have fun
    The fly, kill two pirates, click on the thing? Yeah, I have. No, I didn't go to the asteroid belt, it honestly doesn't seem that exciting, plus I can get the sniper rifle in the store. Group action... to do what? All of the above?

Are you really trying to say the current alpha has enough content to be enjoyable? Come on...
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited July 2016
    Well for who is into MMOs with sandbox aspects, on SC currently it's just that, there's part of gameplay that is guided as the missions, bounties, crimes/reputation, and the whole sandbox of it where you just do wathever. The PvP with the crime system is also giving replay-ability though i avoid it xD

Was yesterday with a friend that got into the free flight took him to the covalex hub mission as he loves to follow up through lore on games and fun it was.

Different people find different things or types of gameplay fun, that's kinda of the point, if what makes you step back is the lack of content and the game's stability/bugs then well that's the classic waiting game for you (as we all do)!
  • GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    I have a pretty good (not great) system, and I wasn't able to get acceptable framerates in the trial.  I am planning to upgrade my GPU soon, so I will try it again then.

i5-3470 (3rd gen i5 quad core)
    16GB DDR3
    SSD
    Radeon 7870 2GB @1080p
    using a logitech F310 controller

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

Here is an example how it could look like in 4k with 60 fps

The player is using the following rig: 

PC:
    Pantalla : Samsung 28" 4k

Procesador :i7 5820k 3,3

Memoria Ram :16 GB DDR4

Placa Base : Asus Rampage V Extreme

Disco duro 4 TB

Teclado : Razer Blackwidow ultimate 2014

Ratón: TT level 10

Tarjeta gráfica : SLI nvidia GTX 980 EVGA

Refrigeración líquida

Disco duro :SSD samsung 128GB

Cascos : sony pulse 7.1

Micrófono : Blue Yeti

I recommend to use one of the new AMD cards instead of the GTX980  (AMD will still have some advantages in double precision calculations required for the 64 bit CryEngine over NVIDIA cards):

Have fun 

• WarleyWarley Member UncommonPosts: 508
    edited July 2016
    Erillion said:
    Here is an example how it could look like in 4k with 60 fps

The player is using the following rig: 

PC:
    Pantalla : Samsung 28" 4k

Procesador :i7 5820k 3,3

Memoria Ram :16 GB DDR4

Placa Base : Asus Rampage V Extreme

Disco duro 4 TB

Teclado : Razer Blackwidow ultimate 2014

Ratón: TT level 10

Tarjeta gráfica : SLI nvidia GTX 980 EVGA

Refrigeración líquida

Disco duro :SSD samsung 128GB

Cascos : sony pulse 7.1

Micrófono : Blue Yeti

I recommend to use one of the new AMD cards instead of the GTX980  (AMD will still have some advantages in double precision calculations required for the 64 bit CryEngine over NVIDIA cards):

Have fun 

You call that good graphics? Let me point you to Line of Defects! Best graphics in the space sim genre. Future tech, and all driven by neural net AI strait from BC3k 1994 edition!
    edited July 2016

"Hello Free Flyers! Every time this event comes around, there's quite a spike in questions, so hopefully this thread can be used as a central place for any information you require!

So, on to the FAQ:

Q. How do I get started with the free flight?

Create an account here (be sure to grab yourself a referral code from the community generator here), then follow steps 2 and 3 here. Sign into the launcher, and you'll be able to download the game (28GB).

Q. What current features are available in the game?

Take a look at the feature list

Q. Okay, I've downloaded the game, where do I begin?

Once upon a time there was a working tutorial, sadly it is broken/outdated and has since been disabled.

Instead, take a visit to Electronic access -> Arena Commander -> Drone Sim (or Spectrum Match, if you'd like to learn in multiplayer) and change the gamemode to free flight.

Out of the Free Flight ships, the Hornet F7C is probably the easiest to start off with. BoredGamer's guide to flight controls, and guide to combat are great videos to watch if you've never played Star Citizen before. A keymap is available in the options menu if you forget something, or optionally in PDF form here.

Note the MKB users: Right-Alt + M will lock your head to the center of the screen, which can make ship control quite a lot easier.

Once you're used to the controls, jump to Vanduul swarm for some co-op battles vs AI, or one of the other gamemodes if you're feeling ready to verse other people (keep in mind if you're in Drone Sim (SP) or Spectrum Match (MP) as mentioned before).

After all that, you're ready to join the universe! Return to the main menu and choose the "Universe" option, joining either Port Olisar (the open world), or Area 18 (the planetary social environment).

You can also visit the hangar to take a look at your ships via the respective main menu option. If you have access to other hangars, they can be swapped between via the Options menu.

Q. What are some keybind essentials?

• Press F12 to close/open chat and use Enter to talk.
    • "F" is used to interact with most items
    • F11 will bring up your contacts
    • F1 will bring up your mobiglass, and is used to accept missions
    • Alt-Backspace is used to commit suicide
    • F4 is used to cycle between camera views
    • Z is used to toggle free-look
    • Middle mouse to lock missiles, hold to fire.

Q. How do I spawn a ship in port olisar?

Go down the stairs to the middle room with the holographic globe. Access a terminal to spawn a ship. Take note of what pad your ship has been spawned at.

Q. I entered the airlock and died??

Access the locker next to the airlock and put on your space suit.

Q. Where's the entrance to the Mustang Beta?

You'll find a hatch on the bottom of the ship. If you get flung out of the top once you enter, try holding crouch (Ctrl).

Q. My ship isn't going faster than 50m/s, how do fix it?

"V" cycles through flight modes once you've taken off. PRE is a slow landing mode, SCM is the normal flight mode, and CRU is a much faster straight-line option. Check your HUD to see what mode you're in. Note that CRU mode is not available in Arena Commander.

Q. How do I jump to other locations in Port Olisar?

Press B to open your QDrive destination menu. Once you've selected a point, press F to engage.

Q. How do I try on or buy items?

Scroll wheel and F are your friends! aUEC can be collected via missions available in your Mobiglass. You'll spawn with 2500 aUEC available.

Q. How do I get out of my seat?

Holding Left-Alt + F is used to exit a vehicle

Q. What's the best place to engage in FPS combat?

QDrive to Security Port Kareah, land your ship, and enter the station. Weapons can be found throughout the station, and you can swap between weapons via "1" and "2", or by using the scroll wheel. You can also buy a gun with aUEC in one of the stores at your spawn location (Port Olisar).

Q. My performance is terrible in Port Olisar, what gives?

There's currently some server-side performance issues that are restricting FPS on your machine, it's a known issue and doesn't represent a problem with your PC.

Q. My laptop is getting poor performance in all modes despite have a discreet GPU, what's wrong?

Check your GPU control panel and make sure the game is set to run on the dedicated chip. (eg Nvidia Control Panel -> Manage 3D settings -> Program Settings)

Major Known Issues:

• You might respawn with an invisible body. If suicide doesn't fix it, please rejoin the game.

• Guns might not have their sights equipped on pickup. Re-equipping via the gun store will fix the problem for the duration of your life.

• The Hornet will sometimes float away on spawn. Either spawn it again, or jump off the edge of the pad to EVA to it and enter the cockpit."

(Source: Star Citizen Reddit)

Have fun
    Post edited by Erillion on
  • JermzyJermzy Member UncommonPosts: 211
    No thanks.

Have fun
    Haroo!
    Jermzy said:
    No thanks.

Have fun
    May you find the game you like and ....

Have fun
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396

CIG did the right thing by aiming high on the computer tech level.  Though it can also excuse a multitude of sins.  

Unfortunately, I also thought that co-op play in S42, and private servers in the full game were great ideas too.  Though I'd hoped to play them myself and not have to bequeath that experience to my grandkids.....

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

CIG did the right thing by aiming high on the computer tech level.  Though it can also excuse a multitude of sins.  

Unfortunately, I also thought that co-op play in S42, and private servers in the full game were great ideas too.  Though I'd hoped to play them myself and not have to bequeath that experience to my grandkids.....

Grandkids? People today just have no patience. Do you really think that the concept of space and time as percieved by us pathetic mortals is enough to contain the vision of our Great Messiah? Give it a couple of universe heat death cycles. It's still in alpha, after all.
    Shinimas said:
    Grandkids? People today just have no patience. Do you really think that the concept of space and time as percieved by us pathetic mortals is enough to contain the vision of our Great Messiah? Give it a couple of universe heat death cycles. It's still in alpha, after all.
    Ahhh, i see .... You are speaking not about Star Citizen but that other game that got kicked off Steam .... Errrmmmm ... I mean ... transferred to another distribution channel. THAT one MIGHT be finished when hell freezes over. Trice. Plus 90 days .... tops.

Have fun
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Erillion said:
    Shinimas said:
    Ahhh, i see .... You are speaking not about Star Citizen but that other game that got kicked off Steam .... Errrmmmm ... I mean ... transferred to another distribution channel. THAT one MIGHT be finished when hell freezes over. Trice. Plus 90 days .... tops.

Have fun
    *looks around* nope this is the star citizen forum. Perhaps your obsession with Derek smart is confusing you as to where you are posting