Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift:newbie questions

LithuanianLithuanian Member UncommonPosts: 542
Hello, rifters.

I am newbie player - just started to play and would like to ask many questions about game.
Started playing ranged class. Chose Mage, one that can summon Earth elemental. So far enjoying. And now -questions:
1) A player donated me backpack with 28 inventory slots. I can't equip it (right click - "you do not have enough free space".) How can I equip it?
2) what statuses are most important for me,as a Mage?
3) what crafting school should I join in order to be self-efficient?
4) Any reccomendation on local Guilds? Could provide server name later.

Comments

• LithuanianLithuanian Member UncommonPosts: 542
    And yes, soul system. Any hints about good setup? I don't mind "Glass cannon" as long as I can nuke enemies from afar,
  • AllerleirauhAllerleirauh Member UncommonPosts: 496
    edited July 2016
    Hello, rifters.

I am newbie player - just started to play and would like to ask many questions about game.
    Started playing ranged class. Chose Mage, one that can summon Earth elemental. So far enjoying. And now -questions:
    1) A player donated me backpack with 28 inventory slots. I can't equip it (right click - "you do not have enough free space".) How can I equip it?
    2) what statuses are most important for me,as a Mage?
    3) what crafting school should I join in order to be self-efficient?
    4) Any reccomendation on local Guilds? Could provide server name later.
    Hello, I'm glad you're enjoying Rift! 
    I can answer some of your questions:
    Question 1: You should have a few slots to drag and drop those bags; it will be located above your currencies on the lower right of your screen, or you can use that bag in your bank (drag and drop the bag in an open bank slot).
    Question 2: Not sure what you mean by "status".
    Question 3: You are allowed three crafting abilities (not including fishing or survival). What I suggested for my boyfriend was apothecary, forager, and runecrafter (he makes healing/mana potions and dyes, etc.) My mage alt is a dreamweaver; the important thing to do is to talk to the NPC's they will tell you what crafting abilities compliment the ability that you wish to have. You could easy be an outfitter (like my rogue main), outfitters can make both leather (for rogue's) and cloth (for mage's) just make sure to combine that with butchering.
    Question 4: Well, finding a guild is always tricky. Most guilds will require you to be a certain level/hit to join. I would suggest using the guild finder (Shift-G). Rift has also added a guild for "newbies"; you don't have to ask to join, and you will be added automatically. You will be able to chat with other players that are around the same level as yourself and benefit from the guilds abilities until you are ready to join another guild, just look for the "join starter guild" button. What I like so much about Rift is that they know how to bring players together quite efficiently. I hope this helps!
    Post edited by Allerleirauh on
    Currently Playing: Path of Exile

"I have found a desire within myself that no experience in this world can satisfy; the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." ~ C. S. Lewis
  • LithuanianLithuanian Member UncommonPosts: 542
    Thanks for replies.
    Status - I mean things like "might", "endurance", "wisdom" and alike. Example: in Lotro we have Might, Vitality, Agility to be most important for Champions and Will, Fate...for Minstrels.

Bags: i have 3 bags used and that one with 28 slots. Is there an option to destroy an empty bag and put new on top?
  • AllerleirauhAllerleirauh Member UncommonPosts: 496
    edited July 2016
    Oh, I see. Your two main stats as a mage is "intelligence" and "spell power". If you go under character - stats you will see the two stats highlighted; you will also want to focus on endurance. If you have low-level bags that you do not want you can replace them with a better bag (just make sure that you have the inventory space to do so); just drag and drop the bag to the ground to discard it and that will free up the slot.
    Currently Playing: Path of Exile

"I have found a desire within myself that no experience in this world can satisfy; the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." ~ C. S. Lewis
  • NexeusSNexeusS Member UncommonPosts: 88
    Hey there, Lithuanian,

1-st Welcome to Rift (Rift Veteran) tho i haven't played since 5 months "life calls and such". Judging by your name you play on EU shards i take it? If this is the case, please reroll to US since is 3x or even more populated and there's always ppl doing this or that. Also the AH is way more stable than EU - EU sells overpriced stuff for a lot of plat. Rex on US is way more cheaper and you can afford quite a lot if you know what are you doing.

Now as a Mage, can't give you a lot of info (always main Cleric), but you can visit Rift forums, Mage section and understand what's most important thing for your class. Here, check this link: http://forums.riftgame.com/game-discussions/classes-telara/mage-discussion/ - i always do after a come back to the game. Imo would be better to start as a Cleric since the class doesn't have such a demand as other classes do aka "buy more souls" to be able to play properly. For F2P player - Cleric. And late game this class is a beast, and uses a lot of instant spells. If you haven't changed your mind for the class, prof wise: Runecrafer, Artificer - check the prof just in case. The NPC tells you what goes best with each prof. If you decide to roll on US, Greybriar = GB, Faeblight = FB, Deepwood = DW, or simply check: http://www.riftstatus.com/ for more info.

And one more thing. Don't let ppl to tell you that Rift is P2W, it is not. I started this game just like you (with nothing - nada - zero), didn't spent a single dime into this game, now i have Orange tier status thanks to the Rex - Rift currency for credits. Tho i live in EU, i play on US mainly because of this: stable AH economy. You can achieve everything in this game without paying for anything - literally. You can buy your patron status either farming plat to buy Rex, or buy the patron status from Credit Seller for platinium. Simple as that. Ppl telling otherwise are clueless fucks who doesn't have the slightest idea how Rift works. If you dedicate yourself to this game, you can achieve amazing things in Rift. I did, now i am sitting on 43k credits, and on top of that i am famous credit seller. Just look on the forums for "Tactician" posts "how to make easy platinium" - those are from me. I have some guides there.

Have a nice game!

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Hey, you're planning to leave LotRO? :wink:
    Can't comment the questions, last time I've played Rift was after the f2p switch to check the model (and it was a very friendly model). Mage and golem what you've mentioned, sounds like my old Chloro...

Honestly, as a game I always found Rift a bit bland, but it sure has its fortes.
    Inv. is more like in the eastern games, with bag "slots" in where you can add and replace different size bags, not as flexible as LotRO's for example.
    Fishing is not as simple as in LotRO, it has more depth. I think it's fun, some thinks it is a chore.

Soul system is really fun if you like free(-ish) building and theory-crafing. That was one of my favourite aspects of Rift (though I don't have the last addition, stopped at SL)
    The other great part, which is better even the recently upgraded LotRO version, the housing. It is massive. Which reminds me, my last time wasn't the f2p switch, but the dreamweaving upgrade after that. If you want to delve into housing, go with dreamweaver :wink:  (true, I stayed only for a month... )