Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

And the other shoe drops. Win 10 Enterprise becomes a subscription service with a monthly charge

GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2016/07/14/microsoft-confirms-windows-10-new-monthly-charge/#2649f6dfab3f

"That cost will be $7 per user per month but the good news is it only applies to enterprises, for now. The new pricing tier will be called “Windows 10 Enterprise E3” and it means Windows has finally joined Office 365 and Azure as a subscription service."

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams

Comments

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    They want to go subscription server.  It is known.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited July 2016
    Well, lets hope they never try to pull that one on 10 basic. If that happens, i guess i'd go back to non genuine windows7 for gaming, then Linux for everything else.

EDIT: Here hoping Vulkan makes Linux gaming big enough to switch and never come back.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    It's a logical move for any software developer really. It should dramatically reduce pirating and all the run-around with trying to determine if companies are paying the correct licensing fees. If the software is sold as a service, the vendor can directly monitor how many users are accessing the service.

However, if it requires an "always-on" connection, it has some awkward implications for third-world countries, where internet connections are not always reliable. 
  • zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    Who knows some point in time they may push for more lock parts of windows in the future. People will pay for it when so many software still only works for windows for there use.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited July 2016
    Grunty said:
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2016/07/14/microsoft-confirms-windows-10-new-monthly-charge/#2649f6dfab3f

"That cost will be $7 per user per month but the good news is it only applies to enterprises, for now. The new pricing tier will be called “Windows 10 Enterprise E3” and it means Windows has finally joined Office 365 and Azure as a subscription service."

The standard enterprise business operating model for software is via a "so many user license". Microsoft are decades late to the party with this. Although several firms have been "leasing" their sofware from companies like e.g. CSC on a per user basis already.

Going forward companies will benefit from not having to budget a major spend to buy x (full price) copies of "the new Windows" every few years + pay for it to be tested on their internal software (in-house team or external) + pay the on-going software maintenance + any staff training required. So it may actually be cheaper. A lot of employees will be happy to have the latest version as well rather than an old one.

The challenge is the growth of Android PCs (Chromebooks, tablets).

As far as "income from non-business users" the bulk of that will continue to be as it has been since Windows 8: via new PCs that come pre-installed. A major reason they offered Win 10 for free is that less and less people were buying the upgrade.

Again - however - the challenge is Andriod.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    Still undecided on switching from Win7...

Guess I have a few more days

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,360
    They might just help usher in an age of linux
  • ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    Still undecided on switching from Win7...

Guess I have a few more days
    Well I had both and what I noticed with 10 is a performance boost. I hate windows 8 almost reminded me of windows me, almost lol.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    Enterprise often isn't that sensitive to software prices, especially at $84/year, but is very sensitive to whether it works right.  If you're paying $100k/year to hire an employee (including not just wages, but also taxes, benefits, overhead, and various other costs), $84/year isn't much by comparison, but having that employee unable to work 1% of the time because software is screwed up is a much bigger problem.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    Nicely played MS. Maybe it's time to switch to Apple. 
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    I'd be ok with it, so long as you don't have to re-purchase new editions when they come out and still have to pay the sub on top of it.
  • MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    Yeah, I turned off my win 8 update because I don't want to be forced to windows 10. If they start really screwing with me there's always linux. 
    You can only pay so many subs. Companies are getting to greedy. 
  • XyireXyire Member UncommonPosts: 152
    I think they should go free to play.  Want that windows start button? purchase it as an unlock for a month or for a larger fee a permanent unlock.  Change the desktop colors? buy a theme chroma pack - comes with 5 colors. Want cortana? wait... no one wants that... want to disable cortana? that's a fee.

That would be amazing (obviously im joking)
    DMKano said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Good luck finding many MMOs to play -  the one that comes off the top of my head is Trove, it  does have a mac client

I have 5 PCs in my house. Only need one for gaming. 
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Everyone should already know that MS will try to make 10 subscription all together, since you'll be able to get xbone games as well....This subscription 'idea' was already known since before 10's launch though.
  • ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    Nanfoodle said:
    You can only pay so many subs. Companies are getting to greedy. 
    Greed is the prevailing factor that drives our current economy.

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    The problem here is that Windows is virtually a monopoly at this point.  Other options exist, but they don't offer anywhere near the same experience for the average user.

You can choose Windows which has both a user friendly experience and a lot of freedom of control over your system, but wants to charge you a monthly fee for the privilege. 

You can choose whatever OS the Mac's are using, which also has a user friendly experience, but then you have to become part of the iron gripped empire of Apple who always chooses what is best for you and allows you little freedom of control.

You can choose the chaotic hellscape of Linux where each different version offers certain options while lacking other options, not to mention it's one of the least user friendly OS in existence.  The average office receptionist/worker-bee will quit if they're forced to use it.

Sooo, essentially MS has a lot of the world by the balls at this point.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    Nanfoodle said:
    DMKano said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Good luck finding many MMOs to play -  the one that comes off the top of my head is Trove, it  does have a mac client

I have 5 PCs in my house. Only need one for gaming. 
    Well, one nice thing about the Office365 subscription: one sub lets you install it on up to 5 computers.

$84/yr for Windows with that same deal wouldn't be too bad at all. 

I don't know if that would ever be the case or not - enterprise licenses tend to work a bit different.
  • PyrostasisPyrostasis Member UncommonPosts: 2,293
    Grunty said:

Most services these days are heading in that direction. The software has just gotten too expensive and consumers are much happier to pay a smaller frequent payment than they are a one off payment.

Adobe, Office, Windows, all services using this. Its the new norm.
  • LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332
    Nanfoodle said:
    I'm only now realizing that the only thing I seem to need Windows for is gaming. Not even all gaming, just the $60 a title, 20+Gig stuff. Outside of that, I can do everything I need to do on an Android tablet, including all the rest of my gaming. 

-- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
  • Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    if you have xbox live do you get win 10 ?
    Don't think xbox will have a sub as they already have you on gold membership. 
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,500
    I doubt they will ever try and push a normal install as a service as they would lose a lot of customers.  A lot of people are already unhappy with the way they had taken it upon themselves to delete stuff off of peoples systems and install stuff whenever they feel like it with windows 10.  I would probably go back to using redhat and just use a virtual machine to play games.
  • SoloAnythingSoloAnything Member UncommonPosts: 308
    I'm using my pc less and less as more mmorpg are being released for ps4. I am playing ff14 on pc and ps4 and now Neverwinter just released, ESO is already there, I see less and less reasons to even use a PC. I have a iMac 27inch 5k retina for non gaming use. Ef greedy microsoft I never play xbox but was a fan of pc gaming now I think I will kick pc gaming out of the door.