Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do You Agree With Bethesda Charging $60 for Skyrim:Remastered?

Comments

• Siris23Siris23 Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Siris23 said:
    given that the current retail price for Skyrim + all DLC on Steam is $65, $60 for an all in one remaster version doesn't sound unreasonable.

If you don't want to pay that much wait for a sale. 

Edit: if you want to talk about unrealistic retail prices go look at Sims 3, nearly $400 for the base game + all DLC on Steam.
    No it is not $65 in most places just Steam. Which just had the base game on sale for like $5
    Gamestop has the Legendary Edition for PC for $20
    Just saw it at Walmart for $20 as well
    So does Microcenter.
    You're talk discounted prices, I was specifically talking retail/non-discounted cost. I'm sure the remastered version will eventually sell for much lower than 60, but trying to compare an MSRP to a sale price is just silly. 
  • GainsNGamesGainsNGames Member UncommonPosts: 107

No, I do not agree!
  • joeri123joeri123 Member UncommonPosts: 247
    I only own the base skyrim and will be buying this so I can get the full dlc's. I don't have time to mod my game with hundreds of mods so I'd prefer an out of the box experience..
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Yes I think USD60 is pretty steep, a bit disappointing really.
  • DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    edited July 2016
    They giving me the game for free because I own the original + DLC on PC so.....

The dominant target of the remastered edition is XBOne and PS4, with a majority of users on PC either already owning all the DLC or Legendary Edition while the rest pretty obviously already are in the camp of not caring about buying more Skyrim content or they woulda done so a few years ago.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    It's a great game updated to modern standards - with a ton of additional content.

To me, the price sounds very fair. If it's too high, then just wait a few months for the inevitable sale.
  • GainsNGamesGainsNGames Member UncommonPosts: 107
    The answer is:

"Is this a scummy money making money grubbing move? Sure seems that way to me. They are gonna be re-releasing a product that has no added content, nothing special for it." - Zaric Zhakaron

• SunscourSunscour Member UncommonPosts: 186
    Maybe not Skyrim, but I am going to pay 60.00 for a remastered Bioshock!!  <3

Life is Short, Read a Book.

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    Don't care really as I can get pretty much any game for free.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    The mods honestly only made the game any good imo. So I'd wait for a discount at the very least if you do not already own it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited July 2016
    I'll give them $60 for The Elder Scrolls VI.

EDIT: as for the actual topic.... If you never played Skyrim, this is a good deal with al DLC included. If you already played it, IMO not really worth $60 again unless they change actual gameplay or add more stuff beyond the old DLCs.

My opinion. I never played The Last of US on PS3, the remastered on PS4 was well worth $60 for me. If i had played it on PS3 before i wouldnt have paid full on PS4. Same story with Skyrim.

EDIT: will i buy Skyrim Remastered on PS4? absolutely! when it is at least half the price.

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107

They can charge whatever they want.

I think this is really targeted at the new Console versions.   Bumping it up from the old Xbox/PS to the new boxes.  

Agreed. It's not like its a human right to get a video game for cheap. If they charge more than you're willing to pay then don't get it. It'll be cheap soon enough.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Depends
    If people buy it for that price.................
    I guess it's justified.
  • Siris23Siris23 Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Siris23 said:
    Siris23 said:
    given that the current retail price for Skyrim + all DLC on Steam is $65, $60 for an all in one remaster version doesn't sound unreasonable.

If you don't want to pay that much wait for a sale. 

Edit: if you want to talk about unrealistic retail prices go look at Sims 3, nearly $400 for the base game + all DLC on Steam.
    No it is not $65 in most places just Steam. Which just had the base game on sale for like $5
    Gamestop has the Legendary Edition for PC for $20
    Just saw it at Walmart for $20 as well
    So does Microcenter.
    You're talk discounted prices, I was specifically talking retail/non-discounted cost. I'm sure the remastered version will eventually sell for much lower than 60, but trying to compare an MSRP to a sale price is just silly. 
    http://www.gamestop.com/pc/games/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-legendary-edition/109696

This is not a sale. It is $20 for the Legendary edition.

then why do they have the same thing listed at $40

http://www.gamestop.com/pc/games/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-legendary-edition/109737

Just because they don't say it's discounted doesn't mean that it's the MSRP

Like I said I'm sure the new bundle will eventually drop so if you don't want to pay $60 just wait til it comes down to a price you can accept.
  • seeyouspacec0wboyseeyouspacec0wboy Member UncommonPosts: 714
    I don't own Skyrim. I have a PS4. I would like to play Skyrim. Now I can not only play it but it is remastered I'm going to buy it for $60 which is cheaper than buying it all separately anyways. I think I'm the target audience and it seems fine.

Originally posted by Scagweed22
    is it the graphics? the repetativenesses? i mean what is the point? you could be so much more productive in real life
    Real life brings repetition and pointlessness too. The only thing real life offers is Great graphics. Its kinda expensive too and way to dependent on the cash shop. Totally pay to win as well. No thank you. Ill stick to my games.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    If you already have it, there's no point in getting it again.  If you must, I would wait for a sale on down the  line.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    I can't recall the last time I paid full price for a game. You can easily find a cheaper price if you take the time to look.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    I personally would have preferred an Oblivion remaster or Morrowind remaster
    Well, Morrowind, anyway.  Oblivion was the game that stopped me from buying Bethesda games at release.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    I personally would have preferred an Oblivion remaster or Morrowind remaster
    I would definitely be more inclined to purchase a Morrowind Remaster with today's graphics for $60.

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    Would i pay $60 for remastered Skyrim (or any Bethesda game for that matter)? No, i would not.

Would i pay $60 for remastered World of Warcraft up to WotLK? I certainly would.
  • DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    Reason Morrowind and Oblivion weren't remastered is because they'd have to redo all the assets and re-code everything to work on the new version of the game engine. The remaster of Skyrim was done because the revisions for the Fallout 4 version was close enough that they could port most of the content over and patch the rest.

It's the difference between tuning up a game and entirely rebuilding it. While I would love a Morrowind remaster as well, I can't honestly expect them to invest that much effort into revising their old games.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited July 2016
    Do You Agree With Bethesda Charging $60 for Skyrim:Remastered?
    I mean the game came out in 2011. I understand that it is a free upgrade for PC owners but only to those that own all the DLC content or Legendary Edition.
    I think a $40 price tag is more than fair to charge for this package. $60 seems way too steep. I understand they remastered everything even the DLC but they have already sold millions of copies of the game and it is 5 years old.

Just my two cents.
    Wrong question.

Correct question: "Why are Bethseda set a suggested price of $60 for the game".
    Answer: to uphold the value of the brand. If they charge $10 for it some people will expect the next ES title to be $10.

For those who own the game its a free upgrade.
    For those who don't they can go out and pick up a $20 Legendary edition and get a free upgrade.
    And given that the last estimate, years ago, that I saw for Skyrim sales was 27M I suspect they don't expect this to be a "monster hit". They will probably expect to cover their costs but a big hit ... would be a stretch I think.

So new question: "Why do it if not for pure financial reasons?". 
    One absolute nailed on reason: brand awareness. Publicity for ES and Bethseda / Zenimax which may lead to some sales of other ES titles, merchandise etc. and even none ES titles.

Other possible answers:
    - a lead-in to a Skyrim 2 maybe or a new Skyrim DLC with a new set of adventures but using the updated graphical assets.
    - or maybe an ESO DLC - currently ESO only covers a small part of Skyrim again reusing the art assets would make it simpler etc.
    - they have writers working on a new ES title and this was done to get some artists familiar with the ES style. Unlikely imo but shrug.
    - they ran out of ideas! Who knows.