Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it me or is FPS extremely low?

TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
I can play WoW in max settings (granted not most intensive game around, but WoD area is pretty intensive as far as WoW goes)
I can play Elder Scrolls Online max settings
Can play Black Desert Online max settings (and that is way better graphics than GW2)
Witcher 3 max settings, with hairworks fully on, downsampling, and still get pretty good FPS and Witcher 3 is vastly more intensive than GW2 should be

No idea why, cause GW2 is a lot of fun. But it isn't playable. I got WAY better FPS at release too, but after some patch, I always get 25-30 FPS and if I lower everything to minimum it only goes to 35-40 FPS (lower in cities). The best FPS increase comes from turning down character limit, but that completely ruins the game for me. At release though, I got 50-60 FPS...no idea what changed

i5 660 CPU 3.3Ghz
GTX 970 4gb
Windows 10
SSD 500gb
32gig DDR3 ram

And yet, FPS is super low. Its only playable on lowest settings, but when I go into a city or populated area, FPS still drops a lot.

It isn't my PC, I can play WAY better looking and vastly more intensive games than GW2.

I did some reading, and on the forums there are TONS of people complaining about low FPS, and it happened after a patch early in the year. So it isn't just me.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

Comments

• RoxetteRoxette Member UncommonPosts: 56
    It looks to me that your CPU is bottlenecking. GW2 is just very CPU bounded. But you play it with Reflections on? It seems that Reflections is a big fps eater. That I5 is quite an oldy and dual core. It also only supports 16gb ram according to Intel. I play the game on an equal old I5 760 without any problem as long as reflections are off of course.

Played: Guild Wars, AoC, Lotro, CoH, Warhammer, Tabula Ras, Spellborn, Second Life, Rift, Aion, Tera.
    Playing: Guild Wars 2, WoT

• ViterzgirViterzgir Member UncommonPosts: 19
    The same here.
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Roxette said:
    It looks to me that your CPU is bottlenecking. GW2 is just very CPU bounded. But you play it with Reflections on? It seems that Reflections is a big fps eater. That I5 is quite an oldy and dual core. It also only supports 16gb ram according to Intel. I play the game on an equal old I5 760 without any problem as long as reflections are off of course.
    Reflections off only gives me 2-4 extra FPS and nothing extra in cities. With it fully on I only lose 2-4 FPS and lose none FPS in cities.

Plus, at release I still got vastly more FPS than I do now. And nothing has changed hardware wise, except I have Windows 10 (64 bit obviously) and a much better GPU (GTX 970) and I have extra ram.

• TemperHSTemperHS Member UncommonPosts: 72
    edited July 2016
    The i5 660 launched in the first quarter of 2010, it supports a maximum memory size of 16gb.

You're running an underpowered processor that is almost seven years old, with more ram than it can support. The i5 660 is barely, and I mean BARELY, better than an old Core2Quad [email protected] in terms of performance. In terms of value the Core2Quad Q6600 actually ranks higher than your i5. That isn't good...

Here is a CPU Mark Performance Comparison:

- The Core2Quad Q6600 has a CPU Mark score of 2989

- Your i5 660 has a CPU Mark score of 3295

- My i7 6850K has a CPU Mark score of 14322

I can run GW2 completely maxed out, with a GTX 960, and never drop below 60 fps ever. I don't experience any dips whatsoever, regardless of where I am/what I am doing/how many people are around. I have a worse graphics card than you, and the same amount of ram. I have the game running off of my storage drive, which is not an SSD. I am running Windows 10 x64.

Taking all of that into account I think it's safe to say that your CPU is bottlenecking, it's time for an upgrade.
    Yeah, but that still doesn't explain why I got 50-60 FPS at release. When my CPU is the same CPU I had when GW2 was released. Plus I can play all kinds of incredibly intensive games, and still play max. Witcher 3 is probably more intensive than most MMOs, and I can play that no issue.

And still (again) doesn't explain why FPS was 50-60 when GW2 was first released. I had incredibly good FPS. And my GPU was way worse too.

Well, I logged onto Star Citizen which is more intensive than any currently released MMO, and way more intensive than Witcher 3. I got 32-41 FPS on max settings. Not the best FPS, but definitely playable and that was with a bunch of people around. And considering how intensive it is, and how badly optimized it is, that is pretty good FPS for me.

Can't be my PC. Wonder why GW2 runs so bad for me. I can't afford to upgrade my CPU, but literally every game I have plays way better, and that is far more intensive.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/support/support/Super-low-FPS/first#post6173355

This is one of many threads on the issue. Easy to find many threads about it. There are tons of people with good PCs with low FPS. Not everyone is effected of course. Wonder why the issue is so widespread.

I really want to get GW2 working. But it isn't very playable as it is. Its the single only game and MMO I have (and played) that gets such bad FPS. I play vastly more intensive games than this.

Heck, for CPU intensive games...I play a super modded Rome 2, and modded Warhammer Total War with HUGE unit sizes (even more than base game), and both those are still fully playable and that is more CPU intensive than GW2 should be. And a lot of MMOs use the CPU a lot, and they still perform perfectly fine.

No idea why GW2 is only single game of hundreds that I have and played that isn't playable. 

Like I said (again lol), at release...I got 50-60 FPS in GW2. Nothing changed that much. Now its below 30 in cities, and barely above 30 elsewhere. And if any people are around, the FPS tanks. Which I play WoW surrounded by hundreds of other players and that plays fine. In elder scrolls online, I went to a capital city and saw easily hundreds of players (even more than WoW) and my FPS barely dropped at all.

However, GW2 is super fun and I can hop in and play. But no idea why FPS is so bad. Its only game I have with bad FPS, and when it first released FPS was way better.

• StarS0ftStarS0ft Member UncommonPosts: 124

1st:
    I suggest to check/reinstall drivers for your GPU and Win10.
    Also may be latest drivers are not the best for WIn10&GW2. Check forums.
    It's still too new OS and can have glitches.

2nd:
    GW2 has increased amount of players on the screen (they removed culling about 2 years ago), so you can have 150 ppl on the screen easily. It's very very CPU demanding. Quad-core is recommended.
    GPU does not matter much for GW2. 

But, in reality you do not need so many ppl on the screen, because anyway you cant see all of them in a big croud.

I set on my pc (Win7, core i7, old gtx 680): all settings ULTRA, even including antialisaing (render sampling = supersample)
    The only things were reduced: 
    Character model limit = low
    Character model quality = low
    Do not afraid to set it, you will see NO difference, it's still very high quality, but fps will be 50-60
    And you will see all "nameplates" still, so the croud will remain a big on the screen, just check "show all player names" in settings.

My result is around 50-60 fps.

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    LOL at people saying GW2 is cpu demanding.  Its probably the best optimized game on the market.  Its possible this latest patch might have a bug and yes that happens.  Or for some reason something with your hardware isn't agreeing with the game.  But yea if you can run WOW or ESO then you can easily run GW2.  First I would repair the GW2 installation maybe that is the problem.  Then try to update video drivers.  I was playing GW2 on a freakin laptop with some crappy generic intel processor that was running intel graphics.  So don't believe those who keep saying its cpu demanding.
    MorningStarGG
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I never had any issues with frames and my pc's were below average,the game is a low poly game so unless running a very low end laptop,should be no issues.
    Funny too because they did a lot of bragging about their artists yet when in low quality graphics,does it really matter?

The artwork or anything that would make you stand up and notice is VERY limited,like all our early game will see nothing but cheap generated land mass /trees/brush and static npc's waiting to deliver a quest on a automated rotation.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Wizardry said:
     static npc's waiting to deliver a quest on a automated rotation.
    As opposed to what exactly that does it better?  
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    edited July 2016
    filmoret said:
    LOL at people saying GW2 is cpu demanding.  
    *edit* Another one of those failquote posts ..it removed everything I said and only left the quote.. that bug is getting annoying.
    What I wanted to say is that they probably meant that it's MORE CPU heavy than other MMOs that only focus on the GPU. Given that culling was removed as @StarS0ft pointed out and the specs of the OP this would be a logical reason why the OP is having issues with the game now.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • StarS0ftStarS0ft Member UncommonPosts: 124
    edited July 2016
    filmoret said:
    LOL at people saying GW2 is cpu demanding.  Its probably the best optimized game on the market.  Its possible this latest patch might have a bug and yes that happens.  Or for some reason something with your hardware isn't agreeing with the game.  But yea if you can run WOW or ESO then you can easily run GW2.  First I would repair the GW2 installation maybe that is the problem.  Then try to update video drivers.  I was playing GW2 on a freakin laptop with some crappy generic intel processor that was running intel graphics.  So don't believe those who keep saying its cpu demanding.
    If you like, more correct wording is:
    - it's very CPU demanding on ULTRA-high graphics settings.

Of coz, if seetings are not Ultra-high, then it's not demanding game at all (nor CPU, nor GPU),
    and yes it's really well-optimized game and can run pretty well on any PC.
  • SirAgravaineSirAgravaine Member RarePosts: 520
    edited July 2016
    Sounds like it may be an issue with your 970 drivers to me
    StarS0ft said:
    filmoret said:
    If you like, more correct wording is:
    - it's very CPU demanding on ULTRA-high graphics settings.

Of coz, if seetings are not Ultra-high, then it's not demanding game at all (nor CPU, nor GPU),
    and yes it's really well-optimized game and can run pretty well on any PC.
    He did mention that it doesn't even run on lower settings.  I could run the game on medium settings with some third rate intel processor  Pentium 2020M processor with the intel hd graphics.  It has to be a driver or something software related.
    Well, I just reformatted my PC the other day. Everything is completely "new" and fresh as far as my computer goes. I barely have any apps or games installed at all. Everything is up to date, and actually my other games are running better since I reformatted. 

• TemperHSTemperHS Member UncommonPosts: 72
    edited July 2016
    filmoret said:
    It IS CPU demanding, that's a fact. 

I always find these types of statements to be comical, you're acting as if you're the only person who has a clue and the rest of us are mindless buffoons.

You got it to run on a crappy laptop, good for you, what was your framerate and what were your settings? I can get it to run on a garbage system too, what is your point? 

Lay off the high and mighty attitude, dude, we're just trying to help the guy troubleshoot his issue so he can resolve it.

A little mutual respect goes a long way, food for thought...

• BaitnessBaitness Member UncommonPosts: 675
    The game engine will limit your fps, it is not a particularly good engine.  Even when I had my 3770k OCed at 4.7 ghz I would be under 40 fps in Lion's Arch or WvW.  Unfortunately this is something you just have to deal with to enjoy the game.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353
    You're running a 6 1/2 year old dual core processor.  You should expect that performance will be hit and miss.

But there's no need to just guess.  Try tinkering with your anti-aliasing settings, as that's pure GPU load.  If turning anti-aliasing up and down doesn't budge your frame rates at all, you're looking at a CPU bottleneck.
    edited July 2016
    I took out all my hardware, heavily dusted everything. I noticed even though I dust once a week or two, I guess I need to actually take things apart, as a ton of my hardware had huge wads of dust (and other junk) in the nook and crannies.

This could actually have been a huge problem. Also, I noticed for some reason some cables/wires were loose inside my computer, and not fully connected. Pretty sure they were fully connected at one point, but guess they got loose somehow.

Well, now not only do I get 40 FPS in cities in GW2 (which is a HUGE improvement)...every other game is running way better too. Granted, I'm not playing on max in GW2, but its same settings as I had before. I did able to boost some settings up though, and not lose any FPS (maybe 1-2 at most).

TemperHS said:
    filmoret said:
    It IS CPU demanding, that's a fact. 

I always find these types of statements to be comical, you're acting as if you're the only person who has a clue and the rest of us are mindless buffoons.

You got it to run on a crappy laptop, good for you, what was your framerate and what were your settings? I can get it to run on a garbage system too, what is your point? 

Lay off the high and mighty attitude, dude, we're just trying to help the guy troubleshoot his issue so he can resolve it.

A little mutual respect goes a long way, food for thought...

Did you even read the OP?  Just wondering considering the dude is playing ESO, Witcher 3, BDO with max settings and using the nvidia hairworks.  GW2 is like 1/4 as demanding as any of those games.
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    GW2 was always more CPU Boundy so the frames were never well kept.

Specially when we talk about WvW
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Yeah, but that still doesn't explain why I got 50-60 FPS at release. When my CPU is the same CPU I had when GW2 was released. Plus I can play all kinds of incredibly intensive games, and still play max. Witcher 3 is probably more intensive than most MMOs, and I can play that no issue.

And still (again) doesn't explain why FPS was 50-60 when GW2 was first released. I had incredibly good FPS. And my GPU was way worse too.
    Game's been patched a few times since then bro.