Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What MMO had/has the best class system in your opinion?

TyranusPrimeTyranusPrime Member UncommonPosts: 306
So, out of all of the MMOs that you have played, which class system did you enjoy the most? This usually ranges from static class systems (like WoW and EQ), choice-centric systems (like SWG), hybrid systems (like Archeage), and even to classless systems (like UO and AC).. So, what are your thoughts? :)

..because we're gamers, damn it!! - William Massachusetts (Log Horizon)

Comments

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791
    SWG pre-CU/NGE hands down.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• KelltikKelltik Member UncommonPosts: 13
    City of Heroes/Villains
  • TakeoJusticeTakeoJustice Member UncommonPosts: 73
    UO
  • DvoraDvora Member UncommonPosts: 499
    I'd say UO also if UO had a class system.  Since it didn't I'll stick to the literal wording of the OP.  Shadowbane had the best classes.  Some other parts of the game sucked but the classes were alot of fun.
  • kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    I always preferred role heavy systems with focus on tactical coop mechanics.
    With that in mind, Everquest 1 has no competition.
    Some newer games would include Neverwinter that as one of the few has managed to make tactical action combat with no targeting, but included coop mechanics (roles) such as healing, tanking, crowd control.

The class systems I do no enjoy are the solo centric "all are damage dealers" - Even if some of them have other qualities, if is generally not enough to make them interesting to me.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    City of Heroes.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Love UO system ...  hopin DF New Dawn puts in some sort of skill cap ...

Vanguard really needs metioning here .. best classes i can remember

runner up DAoC
  • Messiah78Messiah78 Member UncommonPosts: 21
    Age of Conan.
  • fs23otmfs23otm Member RarePosts: 506
    edited July 2016
    Class system = EQ1

Best Class perk: FFXIV with one character all classes with separate leveling

Pipe dream: EQ1 classes with FFXIV one character all classes with separate leveling

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• DerapDerap Member UncommonPosts: 19
    Best: UO

Runner up: DAOC

Worst: Black Desert
  • ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
  • BlazeyerBlazeyer Member UncommonPosts: 562
    ff11
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    RIft, Archeage
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    EQ1, if we are including AAs

SWG #2
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Age of Wushu
    ESO
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • stormleonheartstormleonheart Member UncommonPosts: 2
    1.  FFXI
    2.  FFXIV
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Gruug said:
    SWG pre-CU/NGE hands down.
    Couldn't agree more

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• SinfulChrisSinfulChris Member UncommonPosts: 73
    FFXI.

22 jobs with the ability to sub another.
  • GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    City of Heroes/Villains.  The classes had a nice variety of fixed roles, then they added the Kheldians, which was as close to multi-class as you will ever see.

When they added City of Villains, instead of just cloning and renaming hero classes, they thought up five completely new classes!  After adding epic classes for villains, they had a total of 14 classes to choose from.  Plenty IMO.

Then they made the totally comic book based decision to allow alignment changes, good to evil and evil to good.  Awesome!  Then they weenied out and (sometime around issue 15) they allowed any class to be made on either side, which of course killed the reason to switch sides.

Still, I consider CoH/Vs class selection to be second to none in the context of the game they are made in.

I also liked EQ2 classes, and Tabula Rasa's class system was epic.

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• frostymugfrostymug Member RarePosts: 645
    I liked the set classes in EQ1 and the fact that there was not a whole lot of overlap in abilities. Unless you were a carpal tunnel bard.

UO classless system worked

Coolest mechanic to me though was Warrior Priests in Warhammer. I liked all the various class mechanics in Warhammer
    edited July 2016

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• Dagon13Dagon13 Member UncommonPosts: 566
    FF11
  • SirAgravaineSirAgravaine Member RarePosts: 520
    I'm torn between Asheron's Call and SWG. Both systems were very similar, but one was more robust than the other and also a bit more restrictive.