Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Finally found a good PvE MMO, now its dieing, I need a nice PvE MMO!!

AlpennAlpenn Member UncommonPosts: 30
Someone suggested I play Lord of the rings online for PvE content and I did and the graphics and gameplay are amazing!!
Now i hear Turbine might be shutting down the game next year so I dont really want to be getting into a game thats dieing!!

What is a nice MMO with good PvE that has similar gameplay and setting. I love games with nice settings of fields and similar to that of Lord of the rings and i want nice PvE with raids and dungeons etc!! Preferably not a dieing game!!

Comments

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Guild Wars 2
  • RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    There are a couple of MMO's out there that are really good if you want PVE. I think BDO (Black Desert Online) is a great option. It is buy to play and gives you a ton of options aside from your standard fare. Everquest is also a very good option for PVE only if you are interested in something a little bit harder with a tight nit community. World of Warcraft has a lot of PVE content as well. 

There are plenty others to be sure, however I suggest you start with those. As I hear it LOTRO still has issues with its end game content which is why I didn't bother mentioning it. Guild Wars 2 would be a good option but it is lack luster in a couple of areas. It has improved since its original launch though but would require two purchases to really get the most out of it. The current game and the expansion.

I would suggest doing further research into each of these games yourself too so you can better decide if one hooks you more then the other. Youtube is a great place to look up gameplay for any of the games out there, try going on Twitch too and asking some questions while they are playing to get a better understanding as well.

That is my 2 cents.
  • NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835
    Alpenn said:
    Someone suggested I play Lord of the rings online for PvE content and I did and the graphics and gameplay are amazing!!
    Now i hear Turbine might be shutting down the game next year so I dont really want to be getting into a game thats dieing!!

It's not shutting down.  It's license is up for renewal.  Something that's already happened once.  It's still making money for all parties concerned so I doubt if it will be shut down.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    EQ, EQ2, World of W... damn forgot the rest of the name, AoC, GW2, SWTOR. All nice for PvE. Probably more. Wouldn't recommend BDO though unless you are ok with PvP too.
  • NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835

Rictis said:
     As I hear it LOTRO still has issues with its end game content which is why I didn't bother mentioning it. 

The game hasn't made it to Mordor yet so there ISN'T an end game ..... yet.  I will give you players are reporting problems with the latest content; lag and such, but that's still not considered end game material.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924
    there are always rumours about a mmo dying
    most of the time it will be years down the line and you get you fill of it by then
    you will take even longer to find a mmo that you like and truthfully only few mmo are guranteed not to close anytime soon like final fantasy and wow
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Nebless said:
    Alpenn said:

It's not shutting down.  It's license is up for renewal.  Something that's already happened once.  It's still making money for all parties concerned so I doubt if it will be shut down.
    No it's not happened yet. There was a clause in the old license agreement where in 2014 Turbine could opt for a forced renewal for an extra 3 years. Turbine has used that clause to extend the license rather than get a new license. With Turbine/WB doing this I can only conclude that ME was not too happy to renew the license to start with...
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    edited July 2016
    Elder Scrolls Online reminds me a lot of LOTRO, especially in world design. Really awesome MMO for explorers, crafters and socializers. If you explore around each zone, you can find all kinds of hidden goodies (and even hidden quests) or just generally good views.

Its also getting constant updates, and the game is very lively. No worry of it shutting down any time soon.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• WizbuizWizbuiz Member UncommonPosts: 215
    edited July 2016
    Pokémon Go!

And you get to go out more-
  • RamajamaRamajama Member UncommonPosts: 271
    Try BDO, nice vibe to it
  • YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    P2P game usually have some of the best PvE.  So Warcraft or FFXIV.  Though the former has been having trouble updating the game.

Star Wars has great PvE as well.

The original Guild Wars.  The second one has very poor PvE that is mainly about exploring (which gets boring after your first character) and a poor 1-80 storyline.  The game is great for PvP though.  In addition, it has a free trial that you can try and see if you like it.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • JunglecharlyJunglecharly Member UncommonPosts: 167
    I would recommend swtor, good pve content and amazing story.
  • XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    GW2 has one of the worst PvE so Id pass.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,825
    I would stick with Lotro if you enjoy it, good MMOs are hard to find. It may not get closed down, that's just speculation.
  • VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723
    edited July 2016
    People are saying BDO? It has pretty weak and meaningless PVE in my opinion.

For the closest experience to LOTRO, I would suggest ESO. FF XIV is also a fantastic PVE game and almost old school MMO experience.
  • BrumeBrume Member UncommonPosts: 62
    The best PvE experience for me is in SWTOR. All quest and subquest have full cinematic with choice. Each class have their unique main quest.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    EQ2, TSW also come to mind.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Elder Scrolls Online, Guild Wars 2 and Wildstar are my top picks for PvE content.

If GW2 had more rewarding itemisation it would be leagues above the rest... but it doesn't, it has a weird item and reward system.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    Destiny, Pokemon Go, The Division, Hearthstone, Overwatch... apparently these are all MMOs.
  • makasouleater69makasouleater69 Member UncommonPosts: 1,096
    edited July 2016
    Alpenn said:

What is a nice MMO with good PvE that has similar gameplay and setting. I love games with nice settings of fields and similar to that of Lord of the rings and i want nice PvE with raids and dungeons etc!! Preferably not a dieing game!!
    I would recommend Allods, Ryzom, Istaria, Project 1999, or SWG emu. Every single other one, is a cash shop p2w game. Even wow, and eve both have huge advantages if you pay them more then the sub fee.  Eso is close to not having a cash shop, but it still does. Also eso is not like a traditional mmo, basically you are grouped with every one at all times, and it turns into some times 10-20 people attacking the same mob, and it dies in like .3 seconds totally ruining any kind of fun. 

I haven't followed ESO since it left a sub model, but I know WOW, SWTOR, EVE you can literally just skip all the content, and buy a high end character, legit through the in game system. 

Ryzom, Istaria, Have really good pve and crafting but there is no real pvp. Project 1999 has some of the best pve, but again no real pvp. SWG has good pve, crafting, and the pvp is interesting, because of the jedi in it. I would say Allods is the closest to LOTRO out of all those. I haven't got to far, but it reminds me a lot of LOTRO.  Can't recommend play Allods on the F2P server, since it is p2w up there with Arche age, but the P2P one is good to go, it is P2p with 0 cash shop in it.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    FF14 or Eq 2
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Kyleran said:
    EQ2, TSW also come to mind.
    TSW indeed has some kickass story telling and some very good and challenging PvE. Only problem I have is the amount of zombies running around in the game (I'm at Blue Mountains now). I hope they'll diminish later on in the game in favor of some more Lovecraftian story telling...
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Nebless said:
    Alpenn said:

When you see then down to 4 servers then start to worry.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • makasouleater69makasouleater69 Member UncommonPosts: 1,096
    filmoret said:
    Nebless said:
    Alpenn said:

When you see then down to 4 servers then start to worry.
    I don't really follow LOTRO, I can say what you would want to look for is not it shutting down due to lack of players or money, the question is, does any other company have plans to make a modern LOTRO game? If the answer is no, then it isn't gonna shut down. Just like SWG, it didn't shut down due to lack of money, or players, it shut down because of SWTOR. From the little I just found, it doesn't look like there are any new mmo with lord of the rings in mind. So I doubt it will shut down. 
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Wizbuiz said:
    Pokémon Go!

And you get to go out more-
    Just dont forget a extra battery pack, a good data sub for your mobile phone, and a good health insurance since many ' not so smart' Pokemon Go players just walk head on with trains, trucks etc while staring at a screen looking for a yellow hamster. :P

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"