Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen - Development Updates

Comments

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297

You asked for it.

Thats it ?

Stories about OTHER companies (NOT Ascendant ) and OTHER people having problems  that at some point in the past have worked together with CR? A movie with 16 (!) producers and executive producers (including - get this - Laurence Fishburne of "Matrix" and CR) and 23 (!) production company credits (none of them being Ascendant)?

Have fun
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396

You asked for it.  And it relates to development prowess.  Ascendant was booted off the film.  There were at least two suits involving them.  Roberts won at least one of those.  Ascendant's website's 'coming soon' area lists Black Water Transit as its last upcoming production.

Black Water Transit was a disaster, and being involved in a disaster makes it hard to get work in Hollywood.  I think they feel there's some sort of contagious disaster cooties that might infect them.  It was the last Hollywood production that Roberts was involved in.  It went bankrupt.  It is still unreleased. It is still in litigation.  Just like I said.   Too many people want to attribute all the wonders of any production to Roberts' genius and discount any problems as  'not his fault'.

I was also talking about Digital Anvil, and how Roberts was unable to release a single game over four years, despite having the deep pockets of Microsoft funding him.  Dismissing it as old news kinda misses the point when it is the only time he was in charge of a game company.  And that he's not released a game in two decades.  Erillion, you even fall back on the 'Erin will fix things' trope.  But he didn't manage it at DA.

Note that gap, 2009 to 2012.   At the end of that time Roberts rediscovers his 'love of games' and tries to float a relatively low budget space game.   The money starts rolling in, and his ego starts ballooning.  Then we end up here.  Years late in development.  With a bunch of issues relating to poor management. 

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• GrumpyHobbitGrumpyHobbit Member RarePosts: 1,220
    Erillion said:

You asked for it.

Thats it ?

Stories about OTHER companies (NOT Ascendant ) and OTHER people having problems  that at some point in the past have worked together with CR? A movie with 16 (!) producers and executive producers (including - get this - Laurence Fishburne of "Matrix" and CR) and 23 (!) production company credits (none of them being Ascendant)?

Have fun
    Guilt by association is a thing I guess.....ugh I just thought, people know I have participated in threads with Goons, I am fucked!!!!

"Hey didn't you once share a forum post with a Goon?"
    "It was an accident I promise!"
    "Get out!"
    I read all those articles and the only thing I saw was a comment that the guy who got jailed once worked with CR. I hope that isn't all you have as a reason to post this here because if it is then that is a seriously bad troll post. So what exactly IS the connection because looking into it I cannot see one. CR is not listed on the credits for the film, his production company is not listed...what is the connection?

CR is listed as executive producer for Black Water Transit on IMDB.com.
    Ah ok I see it now. 
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited July 2016
    If you want to go discuss an person life biography or something like that i'm pretty sure you can create a thread for that somewhere.

On the RTV i noticed the mention towards 2.5 to be on PTU and Live by Gamescon, what pretty much gives it a month time-frame to be released. Quite unclear what to expect though but it seems things as the Pirate Base, New Interact Functionality and such are likely to go with it.
  • pouriapouria Member CommonPosts: 4
    Guyz i have a question , since the game is in alpha version and this week is totally free for play and i want to know every game process will be delete after this week for free users ? or even i buy the package since its alpha version it will happen after final release ?? 
    pouria said:
    Guyz i have a question , since the game is in alpha version and this week is totally free for play and i want to know every game process will be delete after this week for free users ? or even i buy the package since its alpha version it will happen after final release ?? 
    Well the accounts you create for the free fly events, are not deleted, you can use it on the next one or buy a game package on it. Currently wipes are being done in-between updates.

So currently the in-game progress (currency, missions, rep, etc..) ain't being saved on both free fly and backer accounts, so nothing to worry about for now.
  • pouriapouria Member CommonPosts: 4
    MaxBacon said:
    pouria said:
    Well the accounts you create for the free fly events, are not deleted, you can use it on the next one or buy a game package on it. Currently wipes are being done in-between updates.

So currently the in-game progress (currency, missions, rep, etc..) ain't being saved on both free fly and backer accounts, so nothing to worry about for now.
    thanks dude , because usually everything will be lost in the games alpha versions ( like rider of icarus ... ) , so if i enjoy the game and buy it after that nothing will be delete even after final release yes ?
    pouria said:
    MaxBacon said:
    pouria said:

thanks dude , because usually everything will be lost in the games alpha versions ( like rider of icarus ... ) , so if i enjoy the game and buy it after that nothing will be delete even after final release yes ?
    You'll keep your account, package and such through the final game release. Now you'll earn in-game is what falls through the wipes they will do, so in there is the normal progress reset to expect.

Up to the late Beta phase one has to expect wipes. If you want to be sure to not lose accumulated progress, just wait until release. 

Have fun
    Erillion said:
    Up to the late Beta phase one has to expect wipes. If you want to be sure to not lose accumulated progress, just wait until release. 

Have fun
    haven't there been a word regarding changes to the necessity of constant wipes? I heard some stuff but idk if that comes from the devs or random people saying random things.
    According to Chris Roberts you have to expect wipes up to mid Beta. He said that MAYBE they will do no more wipes in late Beta as a thank you to the testers. So they get a little headstart.

Have fun
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Erillion said:
    According to Chris Roberts you have to expect wipes up to mid Beta. He said that MAYBE they will do no more wipes in late Beta as a thank you to the testers. So they get a little headstart.

Have fun
    Take anything CR says with a dump truck of salt.
  • motanilamotanila Member UncommonPosts: 152
    Have  CIG defined yet what is the minimum viable project, as current development update ?
    Have fun
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I thought emphasis was to go towards getting SQ42 out the door yet I'm hearing very little about it, only that it's being worked on.  I would expect an increase in information about a game that was to be heavily worked on but the information feels like it's decreased.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    How have the stress tests gone with SC?

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

It's not hard to tell, specially when you hear devs talking about things they are to do, for years already when it is put on "far future" or "longer term" to what understand that many stuff being discussed put on that terminology isn't put on "before or after 1.0".

Side of that there's confirmation of features pushed to after 1.0 already. Even for SQ42, CO-OP content is by Erin Roberts recently confirmed to be added after the SQ42 release..
  • OriphusOriphus Member UncommonPosts: 467
    How have the stress tests gone with SC?
    Well it seems there are a handful of people who are trying to create as much stress as they can for SC but for the most part no one seems to notice or care as can be seen by the 2 million a month they are generating in funding, seems CIG isn't even trying to drive sales at this point! I guess that figure will rise by a huge margin by August.
    :)
    "Trump is a blunt force, all-American, laser-guided middle finger to everything and everyone in Washington, D.C." - Wayne Allyn Root 
    I thought emphasis was to go towards getting SQ42 out the door yet I'm hearing very little about it, only that it's being worked on.  I would expect an increase in information about a game that was to be heavily worked on but the information feels like it's decreased.
    I got legit inside info that the 300 people seen working for CIG are actually only cardboard cutouts and it is all a big scam that is going to be unveiled in a big S.W.A.T raid in a couple of weeks. Spread the word.
    "Trump is a blunt force, all-American, laser-guided middle finger to everything and everyone in Washington, D.C." - Wayne Allyn Root 
    motanila said:
    Have  CIG defined yet what is the minimum viable project, as current development update ?
    Have fun
    I don't think so. My guess though is that it will probably be some kind of game loop based on the art and tech we have seen already that they can then freely add to. 
    Kefo said:
    Erillion said:

Have fun
    Where do you get this from? I mean the guy can sure waffle for hours without saying much at all! but from your statement I shouldn't trust CR at all because he is what? a compulsive liar? 
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Oriphus said:
    Kefo said:
    Erillion said:

Have fun
    Where do you get this from? I mean the guy can sure waffle for hours without saying much at all! but from your statement I shouldn't trust CR at all because he is what? a compulsive liar? 

People get it from listening to what he says and then looking for the results.
    The man has a track record of saying lots of things and then not being able to deliver on them. Like any good salesman, he has the gift of the gab. The trouble with gabbers is that they quite often get carried away.
  • motanilamotanila Member UncommonPosts: 152
    Oriphus said:
    Kefo said:
    Erillion said:

Have fun

The man has a track record of saying lots of things and then not being able to deliver on them. Like any good salesman, he has the gift of the gab. The trouble with gabbers is that they quite often get carried away.
    Oriphus said:
    Kefo said:
    Erillion said:

Have fun

Don;t blame CR, is not his fault. As long as people throw money at concept ships that is officially stated that won;t be in initial release it makes zero sense to stop. At the end of the day who is idiot to kill the gose that makes golden egs.
    Oriphus said:
    Kefo said:
    Erillion said:

Have fun

But when I look at his wiki I see a huge list of accomplishments on very impressive projects, that is not the work of 'some gabby salesman'. The things he has managed to achieve should be celebrated. Trying to belittle a man for daring to dream big seems very..... limited.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    People can have concerns - fine; overstating them though - yeah.

At the end of the day though "the alpha is out there". And this week anyone can try it.

Despite all the claims that the money has been used to buy an island, there are no employees, no game its just jpegs, it will never work, they are running out of money, they have to much money, Austin is closing, its doomed ..... all the way to 7 years ago CR was with someone who.

The alpha is out there.

Not only that but stuff is progressing. Fast enough? Is what is there any good? These should be the question for it seems increasingly likely that SC is - at some point - going to see the light of day. 
    StaalBurgher
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    edited July 2016
    Oriphus said:
    Oriphus said:
    Kefo said:
    Erillion said:

Have fun

But when I look at his wiki I see a huge list of accomplishments on very impressive projects, that is not the work of 'some gabby salesman'. The things he has managed to achieve should be celebrated. Trying to belittle a man for daring to dream big seems very..... limited.

Sure, but there's also a lot of stuff that hasn't gone so well.

Some people just prefer to be cautious rather than trusting of a guy that had some successes 20 odd years ago, left the game because of how things went sour, has been gone for a damn long time and rather than starting with a reasonable sized project, - he's gone for the biggest, most unwieldy gaming project known to man. Since when has it been a bad thing to be sceptical?

If he had stayed in the business and built on his early successes then fine, celebrate the guy, but he's been so long out of the game that he is an unknown quantity now.

I've got money in this so I hope the games work out but that doesn't mean I'm not going to try and keep some perspective on things.