Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starwars Galaxies NGE

Comments

• AonevmAonevm Member UncommonPosts: 26
    Was A beta & live player of SWG way back when, been watching emu slowly take shape but just saw this NGE post and decided to try it out. Running around Tansarii station last night and was quite a blast from the past...

yeah there are having a few problems ATM but hope will be fixed soon  :)
  • LazyDazedLazyDazed Member UncommonPosts: 166
    Didn't realize this was NGE, how did they get the source code for this and JTL?
    MikeB said:

I loved SWG and it's still one of my favorite games of all time.  However, not unlike any other MMORPG, the game is only as good as the amount of players populating it.  There is little doubt I would play SWG again if I was able to do so on crowded servers as they were back when it was originally released.  But since that is not the case, I have little interest in playing it.  Community is everything for me in an MMORPG.  Without community I am better off playing a single player RPG.
    This is one of my major concerns with SWGEMU. Too many different servers fragmenting the community. Personally, I am waiting for the main SWGEMU team to finish and launch their server and I will be playing there when that happens.
    Would be great if the teams working on these projects came together, I know there was a split many years ago on the SWGEmu team. I really like the SWGEmu team because it really isn't emulated, it's been re-written from the ground up. The game will be much more stable and bug-free than the original. I didn't even realize there were so many projects involving NGE and CU servers. 

Combining resources and populations would create a great environment and healthy populations.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    LazyDazed said:
    There is a huge difference between SWGEmu, who has re-written the game code vs WoW and other private servers that steal code.
    Except is this even legal?

I understand the law to mean you only have the right to startup a server to run THE game and not to manipulate the code.That would be outright theft of copyright material to use as you wish,the law was meant to only allow you to keep playing the game not to steal code and rewrite it.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,404
    Anyone got a link to a guide with the ship controls and the like?

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

Wizardry said:
    LazyDazed said:
    There is a huge difference between SWGEmu, who has re-written the game code vs WoW and other private servers that steal code.

I understand the law to mean you only have the right to startup a server to run THE game and not to manipulate the code.That would be outright theft of copyright material to use as you wish,the law was meant to only allow you to keep playing the game not to steal code and rewrite it.
    What SWGEmu is doing is legal, what other emulated servers are doing is not.
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Distopia said:
    This is against mmorpg.com rules your gonna get yelled at fyi for this but hey why not bloodfin.net
    No it's not
    "We are only allowing the discussion of private/emulated servers for games that are canceled or shutdown."
    Then why did i get an email warning from you when i brought up the Earth & Beyond emu?
  • MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    I have tried many SWG emulators over the years both pre and post nge. I have to say, I played this one last night. And for the first time with these, I felt like I was back in the nge game. Most of them start on the planet and don't give any explanation on anything you are doing, you're just expected to know. But I actually played through the space station beginning and it was exactly what I remember (plus collections). Seems good to me. That was fun. 
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    OK so i went to the site and it is as i suspected,,not legal.

I would have to say i am not even sure they are not outright stealing code even though they claim they are not.Their claim is they have never seen the pre-cu code which was claimed to be lost,however that doesn't mean the present code is not usable to attain the same result.

Also stated on their site is that you cannot legally connect to EMU servers using SOE game client.

I also am like 99% certain you can't even copy a likeness  to copyright material,example i could not write my own code to mimic WOW.

I assume there is a fine line to be crossed here,example if they go ahead and create totally new characters,models,assets basically change everything to be different from copyright material,they might pull it off.Even still you cannot COPY another game,this is why NCSOFT sued i believe it was the TERA/Bluehole team for stealing their ideas.

None the less ,it is as i suspected,you can make a server for YOURSELF if using SOE material but not a public server.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924
    edited March 2016

I loved SWG and it's still one of my favorite games of all time.  However, not unlike any other MMORPG, the game is only as good as the amount of players populating it.  There is little doubt I would play SWG again if I was able to do so on crowded servers as they were back when it was originally released.  But since that is not the case, I have little interest in playing it.  Community is everything for me in an MMORPG.  Without community I am better off playing a single player RPG.
    to me SWG is not about been star wars
    its about the living breathing and interactive world is has
    you actually feel as if you are part of the world
    and back when you are limited to 1 toon per account it made interaction so much nicer
    sadly such games died when ralph koster stopped making mmorpg
    now he seems to do talks and write poems .however he seems to jump into SWG threads quite often  so maybe there is hope for another swg like game

• GitmixGitmix Member UncommonPosts: 605
    Wow awesome ! I've been playing Warhammer private lately ( http://www.returnofreckoning.com ) but I'd defo be into playing SWG again too :pleased:
    Tchoo tchooooooo all aboard the dead MMO hype train !!!

• GitmixGitmix Member UncommonPosts: 605

Agreed but what difference does it make to you if you have one packed server or 300 ?
    Community is everything yes and trust me, these private servers of old MMOs have the most mature, friendly and helpful communities you'll find these days - or so it seems based on my recent Warhammer experience.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    So we can finally talk about SWGEMU.com ?
    Sweeet!
    Wooot!

i was checking their website and they require you to purchase the original game?

Im not buying a dead game just to be able to run a private server.
    I got the impression that people have found a free download somewhere but no one has come out and said where it is.....
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    So we can finally talk about SWGEMU.com ?
    Sweeet!
    Wooot!

i was checking their website and they require you to purchase the original game?

Im not buying a dead game just to be able to run a private server.
    I actually still have the original disks and still have it installed on my backup drives.  Guess I'm in denial. 
    Same here ;-)

Have fun
  • aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Tamanous said:
    Is there a pre-NGE server like original?

Can't discuss vanilla officially but in love with it. Fun to try a pre-NGE that is "sony-like".
    Most other emulators out there are pre-NGE.

This is probably they first I heard there is a post-NGE emulator, which is interesting considering how unpopular a move NGE was.
  • HulluckHulluck Member UncommonPosts: 839
    edited April 2016
    Wizardry said:

I would have to say i am not even sure they are not outright stealing code even though they claim they are not.Their claim is they have never seen the pre-cu code which was claimed to be lost,however that doesn't mean the present code is not usable to attain the same result.

Also stated on their site is that you cannot legally connect to EMU servers using SOE game client.

I also am like 99% certain you can't even copy a likeness  to copyright material,example i could not write my own code to mimic WOW.

I assume there is a fine line to be crossed here,example if they go ahead and create totally new characters,models,assets basically change everything to be different from copyright material,they might pull it off.Even still you cannot COPY another game,this is why NCSOFT sued i believe it was the TERA/Bluehole team for stealing their ideas.

None the less ,it is as i suspected,you can make a server for YOURSELF if using SOE material but not a public server.

It's not legal.  Non of them are.  Star Wars is not abandonware. Daybreak still exists assuming they control the assets.  EA pays stupid amounts to use the IP. They could probably file claim. What about the asset owner SOE / Lucas Arts?  Those assets were bought, created and paid for by these companies and could be used in future projects.

All those warnings and crap are courtesies. The buy original disks ect. They certainly do not want to promote copyright infringement through torrenting the disks. Which most probably do but the emu team is just saying "we don't support that.".  The reason this emu has not been shutdown is because companies have chosen not to shut it down.  SWGEMU was given a blessing from either Semdley or Lucas Arts way way back. It was and probably still is in one of those stickies somewhere.

SOE was facing the biggest PR nightmare any mmo company had ever seen. I don't fully understand how people forget this so easily.  IT WAS FUCKING INSANE! People who didn't even play SWG sympathized because no company had done what SOE did.    It plagued every SOE event , Q & A, meet and greet for years!  Hell that one developer who committed suicide later (unrelated) was on these forums openly after he left SOE to clear his side of events up.

Nothing against emulators. Copyright abuse does exist and going after emulators certainly does not fall under the abuse category in my book.
  • ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    Congrats on Server Launch! Best wishes for a vibrant community. 
    MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Hariken said:
    Distopia said:
    This is against mmorpg.com rules your gonna get yelled at fyi for this but hey why not bloodfin.net
    No it's not
    "We are only allowing the discussion of private/emulated servers for games that are canceled or shutdown."
    Then why did i get an email warning from you when i brought up the Earth & Beyond emu?
    From me :P? You'd have to direct that question to MMORPG.com staff :).

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    I must admit, i have been toying with the idea of checking out the pre-cu version again to see how far they have got, but, an NGE version of the game? not even remotely interested, as when the NGE version was created, it really ripped the guts out of the game, so much was removed that it became a joke game, really don't know why someone would try to emulate it, a version of a game that the majority clearly hated. O.o
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Phry said:
    I must admit, i have been toying with the idea of checking out the pre-cu version again to see how far they have got, but, an NGE version of the game? not even remotely interested, as when the NGE version was created, it really ripped the guts out of the game, so much was removed that it became a joke game, really don't know why someone would try to emulate it, a version of a game that the majority clearly hated. O.o
    TBH I'd take a modern NGE (designed that way from the ground up so it felt fluid) over most games that have released since. It was still a vast open world experience, with a deeper gearing system ( plus appearance tabs, atmospheric flight).  player made storytelling/questing. It would still offer significantly more than most games on the market.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    edited May 2016
    Wizardry said:

I wrote this in the other thread but is it just as applicable here:

It is very simple, it is legal: because the SWGEMU is considered under the "fan art" exception of IP and copyright law.

Part of that exception requires that the original company (or companies) not lose any revenue from the fan art's use (which they are not because the commercial version of SWG is closed), and further the producers of the fan art may not profit or sell/use it commercially (thus, the EMU is supported by donations only, they can not even sell ad space on the EMU webpages).

Also, since the people are remaking the server code from scratch, the IP of the producer of the original server game code itself is not being used, and thus is not any infringement on the rights of the producer of the original server code (SOE sold to DBG). They have logs of the new code being created, to cover themselves.

Further, it also dovetails with fair use doctrine, for people that bought physical copies of SWG at some time in the past.

Because people lawfully purchased those discs, people can use what is on them, including copyrighted material, for their personal use. That is why every user of the EMU is required to have a copy of the original discs.

So, the SWGEMU is "allowed" to exist because it treads a very careful lane, of how it is made and being supported, fair use law protecting the owners of original disks, and because of the fact that the commercial version of SWG is closed. Most importantly, no one is making any money or costing any one else any money.

It is all perfectly legal, as things are running now.

(As for the NGE server, meh... why bother reproducing barely functioning crap.)
  • LexinLexin Member UncommonPosts: 701
    Might have to check this out. I started playing right before NGE was released so playing pre-cu doesn't bother me much.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited July 2016
    Wizardry said:
    LazyDazed said:

Nothing that uses anything that can be seen as belonging to the Star Wars Universe is considered legal unless they have permission from the owners.  They don't usually go  after those sites unless they become really popular or start making lots of money. 

Technically they can't even use the words. 

Planning to use the words droid, Jedi, or lightsaber in the name of your business? Then Lucasfilm's lawyers would like a word with you...

LucasFilm – now of course, owned by Disney – are famously protective of their intellectual property. Whether it's droids, AT-ATs, or Jedi mind tricks, if it appears anywhere in a Star Wars film, then LucasFilm has probably trademarked it. Even US presidents and their defence programmes aren't safe.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/film/star-wars-the-force-awakens/lucasfilm-trademarks-patents-copyright-lawsuits/

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Wizardry said:
    LazyDazed said:

Plus, isn't there a question of the IP licences now? Hasn't SWG itself expired  by now? Can they just use the Star Wars content legally anymore?
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Wizardry said:
    LazyDazed said:

Plus, isn't there a question of the IP licences now? Hasn't SWG itself expired  by now? Can they just use the Star Wars content legally anymore?
    I believe the permissions were transferred over to SWTOR for use in an MMO.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey