Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So i have been a backer for 1 year!

erinyserinys Member UncommonPosts: 395
And... have played it since.. the game doesnt function at all, beware before you back this.
I love daoc, and love the vision of the game, but currrently all this is is a bunch of bots in a field, nothing else.

this game wont launch between now and 2 years, keep that in mind before you back

Comments

• ChujoChujo Member UncommonPosts: 8
    edited July 2016
    I've been a backer for about 4 months and rarely give the game more than a passing thought. About the only solace I can give you is that unlike many crowdfunded projects with a disproportionate following on this website, CU actually has an experienced team behind it, with leadership that have managed popular MMOs before.

Having said that, I do kind of wish I had backed Crowfall instead.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    I dont know whether to laugh or cry when people post about an indie's progression after backing them. This is honestly a hobby that people with no real investment hope can turn into something while using someone elses money to do it. If it doesn't, they still get someone else's money for the a period of time till they have to find real work again. In theory, it sounds great to back someone who can deviate from the 'corporate mold' and in some cases it happens but only some cases. Its like trying to find love over the internet. Sure it happens in some cases, but in most cases it doesn't. Still doesn't stop people from trying I guess.
  • epoqepoq Member UncommonPosts: 394
    They have a lot of money in the pipe.  I have faith they will deliver something.  If this thing totally falls on it's face and is garbage though, I think I can consider myself done with MMOs.  
  • erinyserinys Member UncommonPosts: 395
    edited July 2016
    ow they will deliver, and it will be good. but currently it is not a game, so people should know. It is not playable.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    I put money in a long time ago and don't pay attention to it.  If it comes out then fine I will play it.  If it doesn't, I won't be surprised.  The money is gone.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• RealizerRealizer Member RarePosts: 724
    edited July 2016
    erinys said:
    ow they will deliver, and it will be good. but currently it is not a game, so people should know. It is not playable.
      Yes, that's how it works when you build a game from scratch, it's not playable till they are finished creating it. You aren't the first poster to make the mistake of thinking alpha means the game should be finished. CU is following an oldschool design route, meaning that alpha tests were to see how the net code and server could handle multiple actions simultaneously. Those tests had nothing to do with how the game will or should play once it's done, and most skills and animation were just placeholders to see how the engine/server would react to stress.  

Other games use an engine template and copy paste new things into their games, they build games but they don't create games. There's a magnitude of difference between a company that can create a game from scratch, and a company that can copy paste. 
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    erinys said:
    And... have played it since.. the game doesnt function at all, beware before you back this.
    I love daoc, and love the vision of the game, but currrently all this is is a bunch of bots in a field, nothing else.

this game wont launch between now and 2 years, keep that in mind before you back
    So you thought backing the game was buying a quickly completed game that wouldn't take years to create?

I think the real issue is that you need to better understand what backing one of these things actually entails.

I would say that one should look at the progress they have made and then weigh whether or not they can actually finish it at some point.

But if it doesn't come out for two years? so what?

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    edited July 2016
    Backing a crowdfunded game isn't the same as pre-ordering a game that is already in Open Beta. CU is still in an old school (tech) Alpha stage right now, so it is expected that it doesn't play like a completed game. Yes there is highly likely over a year to go before launch. It's not the first software/game/MMO to be released later than originally estimated. :p

Back the game at this stage if you like the concept and principles it is being designed on, want to help CSE reach stretch goals most of which will be related to hiring from here on per Friday's livestream, and want to participate in testing and help find bugs.

If you just want to play the game at launch, then wait to pre-order it when that becomes possible.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Backed CU for a bit of money because Mark Jacobs. Backed Crowfall with quite a bit more because, well, everything. Both seem like smart decisions in hindsight. CU gets little attention from me but I'll be glad when something more tangible emerges, Crowfall pre-alpha on the other hand is very promising and quite fun to play already.

We will see how both develop, I am in no hurry.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• AnideinAnidein Member UncommonPosts: 19
    From scratch is something I believe will be far superior to a game using a previous engine.  Also, Mark has stated a lot that this game will be using ideas that are fresh and new to the MMO genre that you would probably not find anywhere else.

I'm sure it doesn't matter for most how long the game takes to develop, most who back it are getting what they pay for, a solid game with new ideas.
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    You don't back a game that only exists on paper and expect to play it for entertainment any time in the next few years.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062
    thanks for the heads up.  i was probably going to do open beta or more than likely any "headstart" they have.  so i probably won't back the game.

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.
  • tinuelletinuelle Member UncommonPosts: 363
    Back this one in the kickstarter cause: Obi-wan kenCU you're my only hope!!!

But yeah, its not a game atm, its for testers who likes to test tech and break it.

If my money is wasted, well, like some others here said: Finished with MMO's and MOBA's here I come!!!! (Oh my, please no, pretty plz no).

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Not sure if you are new to this but MMOs take 4 to 5 years to make on average. Some longer. 
    Sometimes common sense isn't always common.
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    The OP is getting a lot of flack, but I think he/she has an important point: Don't back the game if you are expecting to jump into a semi-functional mmo anytime in the near future.

Its actually quite difficult to know what state the game is in because of the NDA and locked community forums, plus since the game was scheduled to go beta at the end of last year (I think?) and I have read that a beta phase might be coming up later this year, its not unreasonable to think that some people might get the impression that they could be playing something of a functional game if they back now.

So thanks for letting us know the actual state of affairs OP ;)
    YashaX said:
    The OP is getting a lot of flack, but I think he/she has an important point: Don't back the game if you are expecting to jump into a semi-functional mmo anytime in the near future.

Its actually quite difficult to know what state the game is in because of the NDA and locked community forums, plus since the game was scheduled to go beta at the end of last year (I think?) and I have read that a beta phase might be coming up later this year, its not unreasonable to think that some people might get the impression that they could be playing something of a functional game if they back now.

So thanks for letting us know the actual state of affairs OP ;)
    I get that most people have the patience of a toddler since they can't wait to pay a company to buy into a test phase regardless of the phase, but I was hoping they didn't have the intelligence level of one. Its a test phase that you want to buy in to...lets say the game was near finished or whatever like archeage was a few years back having their alpha for like a year since Trion could get easy money off of lower intelligent people. Wipes? QQ'ing that the game changed from alpha/beta? Sorry, I dont really have sympathy for people who want to pay to play something before anyone else because they dont have patience to wait for a finished product which may or may not happen.
  • FranciscourantFranciscourant Member UncommonPosts: 356
    edited July 2016
    erinys said:
    The game functions pretty well but not many features are completed.

Some of the features that are functional afaik (WIP / may not all be in current build):

• Large scale battle: 600 bots and players in a small area at 30 FPS
    • PBR / new lighting

• Terrain that changes according to Realm ownership

Post edited by Franciscourant on
  • donger56donger56 Member RarePosts: 443
    This game is starting to look like most crowd funded games. Stuck in an endless cycle of delays and development chaos. They should have just stuck with the original game and not added in the stretch goal type stuff after the initial kickstarter. This was always going to be a very niche game focused on one specific type of MMO game play. The whole realm vs. realm thing isn't new but this game was supposed to do only that and do it well. So far it doesn't really do anything and after what I saw with Warhammer I'm not overly optimistic about this project. I didn't back it and won't even really take a serious look at it until they announce a release date or do an open beta of some kind. I'm really tired of the whole crowdfunding thing in the MMO world. So far it has been a total failure IMO. 
  • FranciscourantFranciscourant Member UncommonPosts: 356
    edited July 2016
    donger56 said:
    This game is starting to look like most crowd funded games. Stuck in an endless cycle of delays and development chaos. They should have just stuck with the original game and not added in the stretch goal type stuff after the initial kickstarter. This was always going to be a very niche game focused on one specific type of MMO game play. The whole realm vs. realm thing isn't new but this game was supposed to do only that and do it well. So far it doesn't really do anything and after what I saw with Warhammer I'm not overly optimistic about this project. I didn't back it and won't even really take a serious look at it until they announce a release date or do an open beta of some kind. I'm really tired of the whole crowdfunding thing in the MMO world. So far it has been a total failure IMO. 
    Pretty sure that the primary reason why we get the impression that most KS projects suffer delays is not the crowdfunding itself, but the unrealistic delivery estimate dates and an open-development approach that puts a project under the spotlight so early that it seems to take ages before a game gets done.

Many AAA MMORPGs have been in development for 4-7 years with a team of hundreds of developers. We could hardly find any recent MMO with a shorter dev. than 3-4 years, unless there's a huge number of developers working on it. Some examples:

- Guild Wars 2 : 500+ devs in total, 3 years and a half development
    - Elder Scroll Online : 500+ devs in total, 7 years of development
    - Darkfall Online: 70+ devs in total, 12 years of development 

Camelot Unchained is in development since about 3 years and if I'm correct less than 30 developers have worked on the project so far.

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    edited July 2016
    donger56 said:
    Stretch goals have virtually nothing to do with the delays. The game isn't late because of The Depths or the bounty system. If anything, the stretch goals related to hiring have been very helpful in the recent hires and the ones around this time last year. Without those goals, there would be fewer programmers working on CU and launch would be even further in the future than it already is.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer