Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The website is up

Comments

• holdenfiveholdenfive Member UncommonPosts: 170
    Vucar said:
    So much misinformation, its like half of you guys use picture books to inform yourselves of the world around you.

1) Magic is supposed to be crazy rare, there's no guarantee that "mage" burning down the town will even be a player. It could be an NPC that needs to be defeated.

2) Its a 5% chance to get a talent. Within that 5%, a subset is magic. That means less than 5% will get magic. Of that subset, there is no guarantee the magic you get will be combat oriented. That means only a subset of a subset of 5% of player characters could even have the POTENTIAL for combat magic, if it even exists.

3) Because of the above, playing a "mage class" in this game is not a God-given right like it is in World of Warcraft. Coming into this game with your past schemas of what you think you are entitled to play as will not pan out.

3) Talents die with your characters, not with souls.

4) There is no point in "re-rolling" to get talents because talents must be triggered and discovered. Given how many potential talent types there might be, you could spend months trying to find a talent on a character and still miss it. Its like throwing away christmas present boxes before you open them because you don't think the wrapping paper suggests there's a puppy inside.

5) The talent system is not a means to monetize the game further. If you want a talent and haven't triggered one yet, your best bet is to participate in the overarcing story. A better plan would be play without any expectation of having a talent and be happily surprised if you ever get one.

That is what they're telling you, for now. I'm aware of all that I just don't readily accept everything Im told is fact. For most of us this isn't our first rodeo, hence we can have plausible discussions about where things might lead. That's what forums are for. If it were for regurgitating dev rhetoric verbatim, there is a game info page for that. Regardless, you -will- be able to buy talents. Whether it is directly from the developer or on ebay. Did this even occur to you, with your extensive non-illustrated knowledge of the world?
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Vucar said:
    So much misinformation, its like half of you guys peasants use picture books to inform yourselves of the world around you.

"Yes, m'lord !"
    "As you say, m'lord..."

/touchesforelock

:D
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    edited July 2016
    Vucar said:
    So much misinformation, its like half of you guys use picture books to inform yourselves of the world around you.

1) Magic is supposed to be crazy rare, there's no guarantee that "mage" burning down the town will even be a player. It could be an NPC that needs to be defeated.

2) Its a 5% chance to get a talent. Within that 5%, a subset is magic. That means less than 5% will get magic. Of that subset, there is no guarantee the magic you get will be combat oriented. That means only a subset of a subset of 5% of player characters could even have the POTENTIAL for combat magic, if it even exists.

3) Because of the above, playing a "mage class" in this game is not a God-given right like it is in World of Warcraft. Coming into this game with your past schemas of what you think you are entitled to play as will not pan out.

3) Talents die with your characters, not with souls.

4) There is no point in "re-rolling" to get talents because talents must be triggered and discovered. Given how many potential talent types there might be, you could spend months trying to find a talent on a character and still miss it. Its like throwing away christmas present boxes before you open them because you don't think the wrapping paper suggests there's a puppy inside.

5) The talent system is not a means to monetize the game further. If you want a talent and haven't triggered one yet, your best bet is to participate in the overarcing story. A better plan would be play without any expectation of having a talent and be happily surprised if you ever get one.

Misinformation? 
    About what? An undeveloped concept? There has been no development. Only what SB tells us, and as in the case of the official web site, shows us what they intend to do. A picture is worth a thousand words in this situation.
     And that is a picture of mage casting a powerful spell, NOT misinformation.

And yes, I know you can explain it based on what SB has said in the past. But my point is........
    For any of the uninitiated who find their way to COE, what do you think they will suppose seeing this Front page? 

"Oh don't mind the Front page artwork, this isn't a High Fantasy game."?

• GrumpyHobbitGrumpyHobbit Member RarePosts: 1,220

To me that looked like a guy overlooking a city being bombarded by siege weapons.

I matter of perspective I guess. 

2 ways to look at it...
    1 - You can read the info about the game where it says magic is rare and then interpret the picture to totally contradict it and grab your 'I told ya' moment. 
    2 - You can read the info about the game where it says magic is rare and then interpret the picture to just be a nice picture and not jump to conclusions bases on an assumption that goes against what the game design has stated EVERY time it has been discussed. 

So while you can argue 'misinformation' I would argue your interpretation of the picture is the problem and by stating without doubt what you THINK the picture is will lead to misinformation. 

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    edited July 2016

To me that looked like a guy overlooking a city being bombarded by siege weapons.

2 ways to look at it...
    1 - You can read the info about the game where it says magic is rare and then interpret the picture to totally contradict it and grab your 'I told ya' moment. 
    2 - You can read the info about the game where it says magic is rare and then interpret the picture to just be a nice picture and not jump to conclusions bases on an assumption that goes against what the game design has stated EVERY time it has been discussed. 

So while you can argue 'misinformation' I would argue your interpretation of the picture is the problem and by stating without doubt what you THINK the picture is will lead to misinformation. 

Siege weapons?

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

Yeah.. that guy with the glowing staff is just raising the staff and his hand to show off.
    That damn poser!
    Harbinger of Fools
    Dakeru said:

Yeah.. that guy with the glowing staff is just raising the staff and his hand to show off.
    That damn poser!
    Yeah well while people are raging about magic they all seem to ignore the text that goes with that picture...

"There are legends of powerful magic existing in the world of Elyria long ago, but no one has seen or heard of it for thousands of years..."

So yeah, to me this is a siege because magic does not exist...yet.

I wonder, how would a low fantasy game with no magic but a small chance for characters to be magically adept grow into a game that will eventually be high fantasy...
  • holdenfiveholdenfive Member UncommonPosts: 170

2 ways to look at it...

Or you can look at it as once again the devs have no god damned clue what theyre doing and jump all up in their grill about it. Since the devs love to portray this "Im infallible, Im going to offer the internet the perfect game" vibe, I would assume they're cool with us eating their lunch over them fucking up what little they've actually done so far. After all, we'll be quite bored when the perfection thing starts to become the norm.
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Meh, its crap. I mean how is their website any different than any other game's website? Its just yet again another HTML clicker with some java thrown in. Yawn. Its shameless lazy copycatting is what I'd call it. And besides the EQ website did it all better years ago.  :p
    Well forget Murphy's Law, it's just crap.

Check out some of these cool website designs.
    http://www.ebizmba.com/articles/best-html5-websites

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• cyranacyrana Member UncommonPosts: 197
    edited July 2016
    Does it work on a Mac with Safari for anyone?   I just get an error that 'Safari Web Content quit unexpectedly' and then a reload page option.  This is my work Macbook air, and the page does work in Chrome.  Still, I've literally never seen this on another website...

Ningen wa ningen da.
    ----
    http://twitter.com/Ciovala

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000

2 ways to look at it...

That picture is pretty clear.  You have a character in a traditional wizard outfit with a traditional glowing magic staff with his hands up while aoe fireballs rain down on a city.  I don't see any siege weapons in that picture.  It could be someone crying out because God is raining down destruction but there's nothing in the picture that supports that reasoning.

I understand wanting to attract people but think about the message you're putting out.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

That picture is pretty clear.  You have a character in a traditional wizard outfit with a traditional glowing magic staff with his hands up while aoe fireballs rain down on a city.  I don't see any siege weapons in that picture.  It could be someone crying out because God is raining down destruction but there's nothing in the picture that supports that reasoning.

I understand wanting to attract people but think about the message you're putting out.

And yet the text that goes with the picture is ignored so it is worth repeating: -

"There are legends of powerful magic existing in the world of Elyria long ago, but no one has seen or heard of it for thousands of years..."
  • VucarVucar Member UncommonPosts: 311
    That is what they're telling you, for now. I'm aware of all that I just don't readily accept everything Im told is fact. For most of us this isn't our first rodeo, hence we can have plausible discussions about where things might lead. That's what forums are for. If it were for regurgitating dev rhetoric verbatim, there is a game info page for that.
    Misinformation? 
    About what? An undeveloped concept? There has been no development. Only what SB tells us, and as in the case of the official web site, shows us what they intend to do. 

This forum is for discussing a game in development, the only thing we can discuss is what has been said. There are no people playing who can chime in and say "well actually magic is more common and overpowered than you think". 

By posting on this subforum, you implicitly assume that the game you are discussing is the same game SBS is making and is in fact the same game they have described to us thus far. I could go onto any other subforum for any other in-development game on mmorpg.com and say "but what if they lie about this that and the other" and it would be just as hollow as your post here. 

holdenfive said:
    Regardless, you -will- be able to buy talents. Whether it is directly from the developer or on ebay. Did this even occur to you, with your extensive non-illustrated knowledge of the world?

Of course players will put unlocked-talented characters on player auctions, ebay, in some shady back-alley on the street, and where ever else they can. No game has ever been able to stop 100% of players selling accounts. What do you add to this conversation by stating the obvious?

For any of the uninitiated who find their way to COE, what do you think they will suppose seeing this Front page? 

"Oh don't mind the Front page artwork, this isn't a High Fantasy game."?

I know your picture-book education has done well by you so far in life, but i promise the rest of the world is doing a lot better by reading. I highly recommend it.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    edited July 2016

And yet the text that goes with the picture is ignored so it is worth repeating: -

It also says...

"There are whispers of Magic Use, the ability to Travel, Shapeshifting, Healing, Animal Speak, Planes Walking, and many other things, but they are quite rare, affecting less than 5% of players"

With that picture its clear. So keep rolling souls your 5% can get you a soul that can Travel, Shapeshifting, Healing, Animal Speak, Planes Walking, and many other things. Bothers me for two reasons. Its connected to the monetization and this will become like cash shops with lock boxes where people spend a fortune to get the char they want.  
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,984

Speaking of ignoring text... this is what follows:

"There are whispers of Magic Use, the ability to Travel, Shapeshifting, Healing, Animal Speak, Planes Walking, and many other things, but they are quite rare, affecting less than 5% of players. "

So roughly 1 of every 20 characters created will have Magic Use.   

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• ZultraZultra Member UncommonPosts: 385
    Wasn't there a massive thread about how talents (magic) could be easily monetized by the developer and how they may succumb to community pressure to make it more available,or at least something that could be purchased? To which the community of CoE and the lead dev emphatically denied as even within the real of possibilities, cause the OP was an idiot and was wrong? 

Now many months later this is basically common reasoning when talking about the game, which hasnt even been developed yet, and magic is heavily featured on their website. 

Just lol. We'll see.
    Well, in all honesty, it probably comes down to your own personal bias.

Some will say it was designed that way to "encourage" players to keep buying soul-packs until they got a "good roll".

Others will say that buying multiple soul-packs is cheating and manipulating the system, because the semi-random results from the soul-pack is supposed to encourage diversity.

Way back in StarWars:Galaxies, you were only allowed 1 character per server. That meant you had to make hard choices about which skills you would be using. Most people stuck to 1 account and picked their skills wisely. Some bought a second account...
    You do not know if a Soul/Character has a talent till it is (ever) unlocked.
    Sign up for Chronicles of Elyria here don't forget to use my friend code - B4ACB3

Join the revolutionary MMO! 
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Zultra said:
    Wasn't there a massive thread about how talents (magic) could be easily monetized by the developer and how they may succumb to community pressure to make it more available,or at least something that could be purchased? To which the community of CoE and the lead dev emphatically denied as even within the real of possibilities, cause the OP was an idiot and was wrong? 

Now many months later this is basically common reasoning when talking about the game, which hasnt even been developed yet, and magic is heavily featured on their website. 

Just lol. We'll see.
    Well, in all honesty, it probably comes down to your own personal bias.

Some will say it was designed that way to "encourage" players to keep buying soul-packs until they got a "good roll".

Others will say that buying multiple soul-packs is cheating and manipulating the system, because the semi-random results from the soul-pack is supposed to encourage diversity.

Way back in StarWars:Galaxies, you were only allowed 1 character per server. That meant you had to make hard choices about which skills you would be using. Most people stuck to 1 account and picked their skills wisely. Some bought a second account...
    Understand not of much spoke there. 
    Nanfoodle said:

It also says...

"There are whispers of Magic Use, the ability to Travel, Shapeshifting, Healing, Animal Speak, Planes Walking, and many other things, but they are quite rare, affecting less than 5% of players"

With that picture its clear. So keep rolling souls your 5% can get you a soul that can Travel, Shapeshifting, Healing, Animal Speak, Planes Walking, and many other things. Bothers me for two reasons. Its connected to the monetization and this will become like cash shops with lock boxes where people spend a fortune to get the char they want.  

"There are whispers of Magic Use, the ability to Travel, Shapeshifting, Healing, Animal Speak, Planes Walking, and many other things, but they are quite rare, affecting less than 5% of players. "

So roughly 1 of every 20 characters created will have Magic Use.   
    So with talents not unlocked till it's discovery and discovery not being something to look up on Google how exactly would you sell me a character with a talent? Of course you might be able to sell a character once you make the discovery but magic is going to be a subset of that 5%. 

So now that you have discovered a character with a talent you then have to hope that the discovery is made early in life because upon death that talent is gone. And remember, while you are trying to discover if a character has a talent you are aging, even while offline...so better hope you don't die before you sell it.

Compared to other games the lengths someone would have to go through to get a magic user or buy one I doubt it will be big business lol.
    Nanfoodle said:

Understand not of much spoke there. 
    He made perfect sense. I still have to take my time reading what you wrote to understand it....unless you are making a Yoda reference...but I have no idea why

So roughly LESS than 1 of every 20 characters created MIGHT have Magic Use.   
    Fixed.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited July 2016
    I dont really want to pay someone to play a real life simulator. Right out the gate I have a random chance to be at an advantage or disadvantage? Thought most of us played games to escape real life lol
    Albatroes said:
    I dont really want to pay someone to play a real life simulator. Right out the gate I have a random chance to be at an advantage or disadvantage? Thought most of us played games to escape real life lol
    Pokemon GO is a smash hit. Doesn't interest me in the slightest. 

I see little point going into a thread about that game and telling everyone there why I don't like it and it honestly puzzles me why people feel they have to do it here or about any game in general. 

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    We have no idea how powerful these Talents will make the character, do we ?

A "magic" Talent may translate to nothing more spectacular than being able to light a fire instantly without a match (not as insignificant as one might think in a medieval setting), or it could have you flinging orbs of fiery destruction across the heavens.

If those Talents do somehow confer a significant advantage, the players WILL find a way to exploit the mechanics. 

The more rare and powerful you make something in an MMO nowadays, the higher the E-Bay price becomes. And when the RMT vultures smell the money, chaos will surely follow...
    We have no idea how powerful these Talents will make the character, do we ?

A "magic" Talent may translate to nothing more spectacular than being able to light a fire instantly without a match (not as insignificant as one might think in a medieval setting), or it could have you flinging orbs of fiery destruction across the heavens.

If those Talents do somehow confer a significant advantage, the players WILL find a way to exploit the mechanics. 

The more rare and powerful you make something in an MMO nowadays, the higher the E-Bay price becomes. And when the RMT vultures smell the money, chaos will surely follow...
    No idea at all but I suspect part of the overarching storyline is the return of magic to the world. So if I had to guess I would say magic would start off very rare but as time passes shcools may form where knowledge is written down and stored and where players could roll up to and try out for mage school. 

So just in the same way some players are kings at the start of the story as it progresses new kings and kongdoms may form, new threats may appear and perhaps a common enemy to unite (or divide) the player base arises. 

I wonder though, would the same argument (the big hooha about Magic being rare) apply if someone became a king (which is available to anyone) and sold their account?

I mean being a King is rare and people BUY it to start with. But it can be lost once the game starts but also new kings could sell their accounts. Would people raise a fuss about a guaranteed opportunity to buy a King?

Is there a market for characters with a talent for farming - to players that loooove farming?
    Is there a market for characters with a talent for blacksmithing - to players that looove making weapons?

ANY talent has the potential to be important or OP. I mean, imagine how OP the talent for farming will be during a famine or when preparing for a siege.

I think that because the game is trying some unusual things that people are just going through the normal motions of what always happens with new things.
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    If this ends up working anything like casino RNG lockboxes, I'm not interested.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/