Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The website is up

ZultraZultra Member UncommonPosts: 385
For your information, the website is live again and your KS emails should arrive. 
Sign up for Chronicles of Elyria here don't forget to use my friend code - B4ACB3

Join the revolutionary MMO! 

Comments

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Huzzah !

At least they managed to resurrect the website, things are looking up !

Still no web store though !
    The issue that was blamed for the first failure 3 weeks ago still defies them: the web store...
    At least they've stopped giving deadline dates in that regard.

I believe magic will be rare and almost totally absent from the game in the first years after launch ?

So what image do they choose as their homepage background ?
    A wizard with a staff calling down meteor strikes on a city....

Love this game ! :D
  • ZultraZultra Member UncommonPosts: 385
    edited July 2016
    Huzzah !

At least they managed to resurrect the website, things are looking up !

Still no web store though !
    The issue that was blamed for the first failure 3 weeks ago still defies them: the web store...
    At least they've stopped giving deadline dates in that regard.

I believe magic will be rare and almost totally absent from the game in the first years after launch ?

So what image do they choose as their homepage background ?
    A wizard with a staff calling down meteor strikes on a city....

Love this game ! :D
    The KS survey is out       :chuffe:chuffed:

Magic will be very rare indeed and as such that pic is an important point in the history of CoE:proud:

Sign up for Chronicles of Elyria here don't forget to use my friend code - B4ACB3

Join the revolutionary MMO! 
  • MaygusMaygus Member UncommonPosts: 374
    Getting in early.
    If you have feedback on the site, especially bugs. Please be constructive and post here
    Visit the Chronicles of Elyria official site and the Official Wiki... an upcoming MMO from Soulbound Studios with real consequences to your actions.
    Finite Resources, WYSIWYG looting to player created and maintained maps and a deep modular crafting system. So much more that hasn't been said, ask questions! Post your thoughts! Spread the word of COE!

If you haven't yet, register with my referrer code on the official website: B0E240
  • FranciscourantFranciscourant Member UncommonPosts: 356
    I like the new homepage, a great way to introduce players to CoE imo:

New pages, lot of updates to existing pages and additional images:

• AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615
    Zultra said:
    For your information, the website is live again and your KS emails should arrive. 
    KS emails are not until tomorrow.
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/soulboundstudios/chronicles-of-elyria-epic-story-mmorpg-with-aging/comments

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Love the heading for Magic. So on char creation you have a 5% chance you can roll a magic user when thats added to the game. Sorry if I wanna roll a healer or a wizard, I dont want a 5% chance the soul I bought will be able to do what I want. 
    Nanfoodle said:
    Love the heading for Magic. So on char creation you have a 5% chance you can roll a magic user when thats added to the game. Sorry if I wanna roll a healer or a wizard, I dont want a 5% chance the soul I bought will be able to do what I want. 
    And I can understand that. However there is certainly no shortage of other MMOs where you can go out and create a character with exactly those freedoms. 
    So you like the idea of not picking what your char is skilled at? Decide you want to roll a 2h sword warrior to find out its good at magic. Or you want to roll a bard to find out its skilled at farming. Or that you decide to play that warrior anyways knowing that facing someone who has that boost to using swords, you just wont stand up as good as them in combat, thats something you like?
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Nanfoodle said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    And I can understand that. However there is certainly no shortage of other MMOs where you can go out and create a character with exactly those freedoms. 
    So you like the idea of not picking what your char is skilled at? Decide you want to roll a 2h sword warrior to find out its good at magic. Or you want to roll a bard to find out its skilled at farming. Or that you decide to play that warrior anyways knowing that facing someone who has that boost to using swords, you just wont stand up as good as them in combat, thats something you like?
    The "souls" are like lock boxes in other games.  You get 3 to choose from with your initial spark.   5% chance at magic means the power games will be "re-rolling" to unlock.  This means more revenue for the company.  At least that's the theory.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Oh, already?
    Nanfoodle said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    The "souls" are like lock boxes in other games.  You get 3 to choose from with your initial spark.   5% chance at magic means the power games will be "re-rolling" to unlock.  This means more revenue for the company.  At least that's the theory.

Thats a heavy handed way to make money. 
    edited July 2016
    Nanfoodle said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Nanfoodle said:

Thats a heavy handed way to make money. 
    Well,
    Their successful Kickstarter campaign gave them a drop in the bucket. They are still going to need a few more drops from somewhere along the way.

So they really are going to try to fund this like Star Citizen?

Edit:
    On a side note, I read on these forums this game isn't supposed to be a "high fantasy" MMO where magic is not supposed to be used extensively by players and what's the 1st thing I see on the home page?

A freaking Mage casting some kind of meteor spell on a city.

What's up with that?
    edited July 2016
    Nyctelios said:
    Aren't magic like feats? Like extra powers some characters are chosen to hold and dormant until certain task is fulfilled? It's not like you could "chose" to be a healer or a mage. 

The game works the same way GURPS deals with it (Magic Affinity). It's rarity goes along with the scenario you are playing your campaign. 

I don't see anything wrong with that system. You can't be a healer (magic) on this game anyway - that's not the point of the concept. You won't raid with your friends and tank the boss... That is not what this game is about.

Also, as far I know, your soul holds a certain status and skills that would fit better a certain role in society, but it doesn't mean you can't do anything else. It just means you started being a little better farming rather than swordplay. You still can train your sword skills and be good at it, don't you?

Edit: The same way some people are born better at mathematics and some have a better spatial awareness. 
    I dig the low magic concept.

I hate having it tied to souls which are monetized in game...

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• holdenfiveholdenfive Member UncommonPosts: 170
    Wasn't there a massive thread about how talents (magic) could be easily monetized by the developer and how they may succumb to community pressure to make it more available,or at least something that could be purchased? To which the community of CoE and the lead dev emphatically denied as even within the real of possibilities, cause the OP was an idiot and was wrong? 

Now many months later this is basically common reasoning when talking about the game, which hasnt even been developed yet, and magic is heavily featured on their website. 

Just lol. We'll see.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited July 2016

Is that first pic misleading?  It suggest a world that emphasizes magic.  Good to read the site is back up.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

Nyctelios said:
    Aren't magic like feats? Like extra powers some characters are chosen to hold and dormant until certain task is fulfilled? It's not like you could "chose" to be a healer or a mage. 

The game works the same way GURPS deals with it (Magic Affinity). It's rarity goes along with the scenario you are playing your campaign. 

I don't see anything wrong with that system. You can't be a healer (magic) on this game anyway - that's not the point of the concept. You won't raid with your friends and tank the boss... That is not what this game is about.

Also, as far I know, your soul holds a certain status and skills that would fit better a certain role in society, but it doesn't mean you can't do anything else. It just means you started being a little better farming rather than swordplay. You still can train your sword skills and be good at it, don't you?

Edit: The same way some people are born better at mathematics and some have a better spatial awareness. 
    I dig the low magic concept.

I hate having it tied to souls which are monetized in game...
    Oh, that answers my previous question.......The Mage using a Meteor spell to wreck a city is a "subtle" depiction of their "P2W" scenario.

OK, so that was sarcasm...but still.

They post on these forums that this game is a "low-magic" style game and then show Mages on the home page. It just makes me think either these guys don't know what they are doing, or WE don't know what they are doing.

Either way, it's not good.
    edited July 2016
    Nanfoodle said:
    Nanfoodle said:

So you keep buying souls until you get one that has the traits you want?  Or buy from another player that's selling.  And all souls have a limited shelf life.  

Reading the forums it seems players have a 5% chance of getting a magical soul and the ability dies with the soul.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• fs23otmfs23otm Member RarePosts: 506
    So... these forums(and the official forums) of BDO was all afire when people found out that character creation stats were "random" in that game, and leveling up stats were random...

Yet the "souls" in this game is getting support... RNG is still RNG... good luck playing the character you want to play... oh you wanted to be good with swords... take this extra bonus to ditch digging...
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Wasn't there a massive thread about how talents (magic) could be easily monetized by the developer and how they may succumb to community pressure to make it more available,or at least something that could be purchased? To which the community of CoE and the lead dev emphatically denied as even within the real of possibilities, cause the OP was an idiot and was wrong? 

Now many months later this is basically common reasoning when talking about the game, which hasnt even been developed yet, and magic is heavily featured on their website. 

Just lol. We'll see.
    Well, in all honesty, it probably comes down to your own personal bias.

Some will say it was designed that way to "encourage" players to keep buying soul-packs until they got a "good roll".

Others will say that buying multiple soul-packs is cheating and manipulating the system, because the semi-random results from the soul-pack is supposed to encourage diversity.

Way back in StarWars:Galaxies, you were only allowed 1 character per server. That meant you had to make hard choices about which skills you would be using. Most people stuck to 1 account and picked their skills wisely. Some bought a second account...
     We really have no idea, as its just a concept at this stage. Do these devs have the discipline to stand by a risky design and not sway to something more conventional (and profitable)?

They don't strike me as overly austere at this stage, no. I think it's fair at this point to judge them by how they act rather than the good shit they talk. Talents will remain a contentious issue well after a hypothetical launch, that is what we do know. We also know the dev team is not that grounded in their process or behaviour.The picture of the future becomes more clear when you gauge the known variables.
    Nyctelios said:
    @Octagon7711 the pic is about how you'll use your powers if you get one.

The "magic" you guys are talking about is not just "magic for the sake of magic pew pew". It's a feature.

They said some characters may discover they can heal, some can talk to animals, some can endure damage that would kill a normal person.... Think of them as X-Men.  B)
    Sure... And in your analogy and in a PvP game would you rather be an X-Man or some random car salesman?

edited July 2016

Just lol. We'll see.
    Right from their webpage....

There are legends of powerful magic existing in the world of Elyria long ago, but no one has seen or heard of it for thousands of years...Some say certain souls appear to have latent abilities known as Talents. There are whispers of Magic Use, the ability to Travel, Shapeshifting, Healing, Animal Speak, Planes Walking, and many other things, but they are quite rare, affecting less than 5% of players. Alchemy and herbalism, however, are common professions in Elyria.

So buy enough souls you will get one thats magic. This is no different then loot boxes so many bad cash shops have. Want that nice epic, 25 boxes later you get one. Then you add the affinity system. 
    Post edited by Nanfoodle on

Just lol. We'll see.
    Well, in all honesty, it probably comes down to your own personal bias.

Some will say it was designed that way to "encourage" players to keep buying soul-packs until they got a "good roll".

Others will say that buying multiple soul-packs is cheating and manipulating the system, because the semi-random results from the soul-pack is supposed to encourage diversity.
    Wait, what? 

You're talking about how the practice will be viewed by the community, which is entirely irelevant. They're free to think whatever they want. Will SBS go out of their way to discourage the practice considering it makes them more money? No, probably not. And once the metrics suggest that this is what people are doing, will they harness it? Regardless of if it was deliberate in design or not, Im quite sure SBS does in fact like money. So i Id say logic dictates they will make it as easy as possible for people to buy more souls, as much as they like.

How would other players even know how many souls you bought anyways?

Nanfoodle said:

Just lol. We'll see.
    Right from their webpage....

There are legends of powerful magic existing in the world of Elyria long ago, but no one has seen or heard of it for thousands of years...Some say certain souls appear to have latent abilities known as Talents. There are whispers of Magic Use, the ability to Travel, Shapeshifting, Healing, Animal Speak, Planes Walking, and many other things, but they are quite rare, affecting less than 5% of players. Alchemy and herbalism, however, are common professions in Elyria.

So buy enough souls you will get one thats magic. This is no different then loot boxes so many bad cash shops have. Want that nice epic, 25 boxes later you get one. Then you add the affinity system. 
    Sounds like Eve without cloning.  The special talent dies with the soul.  Like someone said about SWG and Jedi being rare.  It became a big griefing tool.  It didn't last long.

• VucarVucar Member UncommonPosts: 311
    So much misinformation, its like half of you guys use picture books to inform yourselves of the world around you.

1) Magic is supposed to be crazy rare, there's no guarantee that "mage" burning down the town will even be a player. It could be an NPC that needs to be defeated.

2) Its a 5% chance to get a talent. Within that 5%, a subset is magic. That means less than 5% will get magic. Of that subset, there is no guarantee the magic you get will be combat oriented. That means only a subset of a subset of 5% of player characters could even have the POTENTIAL for combat magic, if it even exists.

3) Because of the above, playing a "mage class" in this game is not a God-given right like it is in World of Warcraft. Coming into this game with your past schemas of what you think you are entitled to play as will not pan out.

3) Talents die with your characters, not with souls.

4) There is no point in "re-rolling" to get talents because talents must be triggered and discovered. Given how many potential talent types there might be, you could spend months trying to find a talent on a character and still miss it. Its like throwing away christmas present boxes before you open them because you don't think the wrapping paper suggests there's a puppy inside.

5) The talent system is not a means to monetize the game further. If you want a talent and haven't triggered one yet, your best bet is to participate in the overarcing story. A better plan would be play without any expectation of having a talent and be happily surprised if you ever get one.

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Nanfoodle said:
    Nanfoodle said:

That seams horrible to me at least in SWG the Jedi alpha class had to be unlocked and you couldn't pay for a chance at it. I guess Pay 2 King is going to be Pay 2 Magic as well.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/