Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is this game not getting more attention?

Comments

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    SEANMCAD said:
    its as if they want to ask the question but they will only except the answer of 'your right no other game does' when it fact that is inaccurate
    I think the trees are blocking your view of the forest...

Yes, there are other games that have some of the features that NMS has.
    Some of them may even have "better" versions of specific features.
    None of them have ALL the features that NMS has.

The combination of features is vitally important, right along with HOW they are implemented !

That's why some people prefer EQ over Wow, or CoD over Battlefield...
    oh my god.

listen its not unreasonable to correct someone when they make a statement like that and its not unreasonable to expect someone to acknowledge it.

'There is no other country on the planet other than the USA'

'um sir I would like to correct you on that'

its not an unreasonable request and to be frank if you want to know where all the flame HATE is coming from its because of the refusal of you fans to simply acknowledge that when you ASK a question 'what other game' and when you GET AN ANSWER, you discard it.
    continuing to dance around this one very important point is just adding fuel to the fire

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    its as if they want to ask the question but they will only except the answer of 'your right no other game does' when it fact that is inaccurate

The combination of features is vitally important, right along with HOW they are implemented !

oh my god.

listen its not unreasonable to correct someone when they make a statement like that and its not unreasonable to expect someone to acknowledge it.

its not an unreasonable request and to be frank if you want to know where all the flame HATE is coming from its because of the refusal of you fans to simply acknowledge that when you ASK a question 'what other game' and when you GET AN ANSWER, you discard it.
    continuing to dance around this one very important point is just adding fuel to the fire
    I must have missed it in amongst all the hyperbole, strawmen and misdirection, lol

Which SINGLE game offers the same combination of features as NMS does ?
    edited July 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

oh my god.

I must have missed it in amongst all the hyperbole, strawmen and misdirection, lol

this is what I call dancing around it and just adding fuel on the fire.

its rude, inconsiderate and makes me just want to flame on the game full force. I personally am deeply offended when someone asks

'what other game allows you to start in a random location' and then when corrected just try to obfucate and avoid it why cant you just simply say 'ah yes good point sorry i didnt know that was possible in those games' or 'ah yes sorry I should have said it differnetly I see how it can be misleading'

These people who actually DID do it long before NMS actually do deserve credit for it. That is all I am asking for. I am not playing this game either way, I am too pissed off now but all I am looking for is 'yes sorry I did not know those features existed in those games'

• wireded21wireded21 Member UncommonPosts: 131
    So much rubbish posted about this game.

Before I go any further, I'm going to get it because I like space games.

That said...

You can kill stuff, discover stuff, name stuff, and using a mining tool you can make holes in planets!!!....

But the sad truth is that if you make changes to planets, nobody else can see those changes. When you leave the planet they are lost. This was admitted in a recent interview on PC Gamer with Sean Murray.

The only thing that remains persistent is what is uploaded to the NMS central server, things that you have named and discovered.

So those planning on using the mining tool to draw a giant p3n1s shaped hole to leave for someone else to find are going to be upset.... that's about half the visitors to this site.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    The less people know about video games the better the game seems to be......Im sure when it finally does release it wont be what people thought it was.
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

oh my god.

this is what I call dancing around it and just adding fuel on the fire.

its rude, inconsiderate and makes me just want to flame on the game full force. I personally am deeply offended when someone asks

'what other game allows you to start in a random location' and then when corrected just try to obfucate and avoid it why cant you just simply say 'ah yes good point sorry i didnt know that was possible in those games' or 'ah yes sorry I should have said it differnetly I see how it can be misleading'

These people who actually DID do it long before NMS actually do deserve credit for it. That is all I am asking for. I am not playing this game either way, I am too pissed off now but all I am looking for is 'yes sorry I did not know those features existed in those games'
    Answer: No other SINGLE game offers the same combination of features as NMS does !

There's nothing really unique or "never seen before" in NMS. Perhaps the deciphering of an alien language qualifies, but I can't say for certain. The magic is in the combination of features and the scale that they are implemented at.

"It's not what you do, it's how you do it that counts."
    edited July 2016

Answer: No other SINGLE game offers the same combination of features as NMS does !

There's nothing really unique or "never seen before" in NMS. Perhaps the deciphering of an alien language qualifies, but I can't say for certain. The magic is in the combination of features and the scale that they are implemented at.

"It's not what you do, it's how you do it that counts."
    again that is being misleading to the orginal statement and frankly extreemly disrespectful and near theft of credit from those who created such systems prior. what you are saying now is NOT what was orginally said its NOT what most people say when they say 'never been done' and to be frank I have zero respect of this so until it gets unfucked then you and are at an impass. again I find it the lowest of respect to basically steal from others where credit is due and then obfuscate the original statement to try and whelse out of it because one can not simply say 'oops

also.

what is the difference?

FLOWERS!!!!!!

that is it. the orginal statement of 'what game..' the difference between the actuall answer is fucking flowers

• joeslowmoejoeslowmoe Member UncommonPosts: 127
    This can't be serious?

NMS low on buzz? This has been at the top of every major outlets "most anticipated" list for the past 3+ years.  It has only been recently after multiple push backs of release date that the piping hot hype tray it's being served from has begun to cool a bit. 

Honestly, the game looks cool, but a bit too bland and without a real identity for my taste.
    This can't be serious?

NMS low on buzz? This has been at the top of every major outlets "most anticipated" list for the past 3+ years.  It has only been recently after multiple push backs of release date that the piping hot hype tray it's being served from has begun to cool a bit. 

Honestly, the game looks cool, but a bit too bland and without a real identity for my taste.
    I think the OP either doesn't read very widely or perhaps they were surprised that NMS didn't generate more buzz on this site.

MMORPG.COM have only recently begun (tentatively) covering a wider range of gaming genres. Most of the regulars here are still heavily MMO-focused I'd say.
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

oh my god.

God help me I'm about to defend @SEANMCAD but...

Now you are misrepresenting his argument.  All he is saying is that it's not unreasonable to correct someone when they claim 'no other game does x'.  This also is a pet peeve of mine.  He is not claiming that another game has the same combination of features that NMS presents.

I also agree that entire experience of any video game is often greater than the sum of its parts. You both have points.

Just wanted to add my 2c.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

edited July 2016
    that is better on diversity but to be honest the differences are not radical in ways that people are suggesting current existing RGN maps can not be.

In fact from the video alone I think I could make a 7 days to die version with just as much diversity of landscape and fauna.

I would like to see him sit with us for about an hour and log in as a different account every 3 mins or so so we can see 20 differences and how radically different they would really be because its not looking radically different to me at this time

and one thing is for sure, the animals all look strikingly similar. I would not fly for 6 hours to see a different one within that example

SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

oh my god.

Now you are misrepresenting his argument.  All he is saying is that it's not unreasonable to correct someone when they claim 'no other game does x'.  This also is a pet peeve of mine.  He is not claiming that another game has the same combination of features that NMS presents.

I also agree that entire experience of any video game is often greater than the sum of its parts. You both have points.

I've never falsely claimed that NMS invented procedural generation or large game worlds or anything else.

But then again, NMS is not the first example of this bunfight. It's a regular event, every time some game hits the top of the hype meter.

I seem to recall people frothing at the mouth when fans got excited about GW2's "dynamic events", amongst others. GW2 didn't invent "dynamic events", blah, blah...

The combination and implementation of features is what makes a game unique. That's what causes the buzz, not the fact that those features have never been seen before in any way, shape or form.

It's just that nobody has ever seen them combined like THAT.

WoW was a fine example of this. At launch, it offered nothing NEW, but the way it combined and implemented the features it "borrowed" from it's contemporaries made it a smash hit.

The words used in the lyrics of a song, combined with the notes in the tune, make that song unique. None of those elements are new or unique in themselves, but the combination is.
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

oh my god.

I've never falsely claimed that NMS invented procedural generation or large game worlds or anything else.

But then again, NMS is not the first example of this bunfight. It's a regular event, every time some game hits the top of the hype meter.

I seem to recall people frothing at the mouth when fans got excited about GW2's "dynamic events", amongst others. GW2 didn't invent "dynamic events", blah, blah...

The combination and implementation of features is what makes a game unique. That's what causes the buzz, not the fact that those features have never been seen before in any way, shape or form.

WoW was a fine example of this. At launch, it offered nothing NEW, but the way it combined and implemented the features it "borrowed" from it's contemporaries made it a smash hit.

The words used in the lyrics of a song, combined with the notes in the tune, make that song unique. None of those elements are new or unique in themselves, but the combination is.
    Well, going with that thread, I'm sure no other game will have planetary exploration in NMS' very specific way.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar

SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

oh my god.

Well, going with that thread, I'm sure no other game will have planetary exploration in NMS' very specific way.
    Probably not too close to NMS, I agree, Sony has nasty lawyers I hear...

But seriously, Elite:Dangerous is the only game I know of that will end up being similar overall.

Frontier have said that E:D will have planets with atmosphere and animals and the whole nine yards. They have just not given any ETA for that. They will HAVE to use procedural generation to the same extent (or even more) as NMS, because NMS has now set the bar for diversity.

Perhaps we'll have this fight all over again a year or two in the future, when frontier announce the terrestrial expansion for E:D ! :D
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Games like this get boring really fast for most people.  They claim all those planets but i bet most of the are copies of each other.
    edited July 2016

But seriously, Elite:Dangerous is the only game I know of that will end up being similar overall.

Frontier have said that E:D will have planets with atmosphere and animals and the whole nine yards. They have just not given any ETA for that. They will HAVE to use procedural generation to the same extent (or even more) as NMS, because NMS has now set the bar for diversity.

Perhaps we'll have this fight all over again a year or two in the future, when frontier announce the terrestrial expansion for E:D ! :D
    I dont mind people saying 'yeah how I orginally said that is a little misleading what I mean to say is 'overall' but yeah many of the features I mention do exist thanks for pointing that out but what I want to say is overall':

that is how this shitstorm should be handeled

edited July 2016

What about Ascent: The Space Game?

Shores of Hazeron?

I'm also not sure you can claim NMS has "set the bar" in terms of procedural diversity before it has launched. You may be right: I guess we will know in about a month or so. I'd say NMS would have some stiff competition from Dwarf Fortress in that department.

DF thus far has been the "gold standard" for me in terms of procedural generation. I've yet to see anything come close to that level of detail.  One early trailer for NMS claimed "every atom" was procedural, which instantly put me on my skeptical guard.  It will be interesting to see how well it pans out.  I am looking forward to playing it at some point, but am purposefully keeping my expectations low.
    Post edited by Phaserlight on

SEANMCAD said:

I dont mind people saying 'yeah how I orginally said that is a little misleading what I mean to say is 'overall' but yeah many of the features I mention do exist thanks for pointing that out but what I want to say is overall':

That's why I added the "overall" in italics for emphasis. It avoids long drawn-out battles over semantics.

But at least our little two-and-fro gave me ample opportunity to illustrate various aspects of NMS, so it was all worthwhile ! :D
    SEANMCAD said:

That's why I added the "overall" in italics for emphasis. It avoids long drawn-out battles over semantics.

But at least our little two-and-fro gave me ample opportunity to illustrate various aspects of NMS, so it was all worthwhile ! :D
    but again

read my example more carefully please
    'yeah how I orginally said that is a little misleading what I mean to say is 'overall' but yeah many of the features I mention do exist thanks for pointing that out but what I want to say is overall': 

SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

Perhaps we'll have this fight all over again a year or two in the future, when frontier announce the terrestrial expansion for E:D ! :D:

But at least our little two-and-fro gave me ample opportunity to illustrate various aspects of NMS, so it was all worthwhile ! :D:
    but again

'yeah how I orginally said that is a little misleading what I mean to say is 'overall' but yeah many of the features I mention do exist thanks for pointing that out but what I want to say is overall': 
    Ok, ok, I'll rephrase my original statement for clarity:

"There has never been a game like NMS overall !"

Apologies if my earlier statement gave you the wrong impression.
    edited July 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

Perhaps we'll have this fight all over again a year or two in the future, when frontier announce the terrestrial expansion for E:D ! :D:

But at least our little two-and-fro gave me ample opportunity to illustrate various aspects of NMS, so it was all worthwhile ! :D:
    but again

good enough.

I would have perfered.

'I am sorry I didnt know that these games had the random generation aspect to them thanks for pointing that out to me. given that they created such systems before this game I might want to check them out'

but clearly that is wishing for far too much

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

but again

good enough.

I would have perfered.

'I am sorry I didnt know that these games had the random generation aspect to them thanks for pointing that out to me. given that they created such systems before this game I might want to check them out'

Procedural generation in No Man's Sky is amazing. I've been playing it for days now.

Bought my copy at Best Buy right next to the GTX 1080s.

SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

but again

good enough.

I would have perfered.

I'm a nice guy, really... :D

"Thanks @SEANMCAD for showing me a number of other examples of procedural generation in games. Those examples certainly broadened the discussion, even though they were not really relevant to the point that I was trying to get across.

I find NMS attractive because it is a unique combination of features, not because it is a combination of unique features !

I'll happily concede that I might not have made that subtle distinction clearer earlier in the thread. Quite possibly because I had not formulated the thought as clearly at the beginning of the discussion.

I didn't previously know much about 7DTD, because I have no interest in zombie-themed games. I've known about Space Engineers for ages, just haven't got around to playing it yet. I do plan to at some point."
    edited July 2016

I'm a nice guy, really... :D

"Thanks @SEANMCAD for showing me a number of other examples of procedural generation in games. Those examples certainly broadened the discussion, even though they were not really relevant to the point that I was trying to get across.

I find NMS attractive because it is a unique combination of features, not because it is a combination of unique features !

I'll happily concede that I might not have made that subtle distinction clearer earlier in the thread. Quite possibly because I had not formulated the thought as clearly at the beginning of the discussion.

I didn't previously know much about 7DTD, because I have no interest in zombie-themed games. I've known about Space Engineers for ages, just haven't got around to playing it yet. I do plan to at some point."
    I will say I think its important to make that distinction moving forward:dizzy:

Example:
    Saying: 'What other game allows you to start an a unique random location that no other player starts at with unquie fauna?'

Meaning: 'I dont want an answer to my question what I really mean is what other game combines fauna and having every player start at a unquie location'
    is not really the same thing