Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The older i get, the simpler i want games

2»

Comments

• CyraelCyrael Member UncommonPosts: 239
    I'm the opposite. As I've gotten older I've craved more complexity and depth in my games. When I was right out of high school, I spent my time in WoW, LotRO, CoH, etc. Now, Eve Online is pretty much the only MMORPG that holds my attention.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    flguy147 said:
    I have found myself lately wanting simpler games not necessarily easier games.  So let me explain, I feel like there have been games where i have to "study" the game outside of actually playing the game.  I am just at a point i guess that i dont want to spend hours and hours outside the game reading and studying games to understand them and be efficient at them.  Now this doesnt mean i want the game to be a faceroll or easy because i love a challenge or fun combat.  But when i am constantly having to read online about mechanics, how combat/abilities work/synergize, what to do and not to do so you dont mess up your character, etc instead of actually logging in the game playing it then i found it more annoying.  It maybe that i have limited time so when i get 2 hours free to play, i dont want to spend an hour online reading about the game.  Just curious if anybody else feels this way?  

There is an mmoRPG coming out next year aimed at senior citizens.  It's called "Get off My Lawn!".
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    waynejr2 said:
    flguy147 said:
    I have found myself lately wanting simpler games not necessarily easier games.  So let me explain, I feel like there have been games where i have to "study" the game outside of actually playing the game.  I am just at a point i guess that i dont want to spend hours and hours outside the game reading and studying games to understand them and be efficient at them.  Now this doesnt mean i want the game to be a faceroll or easy because i love a challenge or fun combat.  But when i am constantly having to read online about mechanics, how combat/abilities work/synergize, what to do and not to do so you dont mess up your character, etc instead of actually logging in the game playing it then i found it more annoying.  It maybe that i have limited time so when i get 2 hours free to play, i dont want to spend an hour online reading about the game.  Just curious if anybody else feels this way?  

There is an mmoRPG coming out next year aimed at senior citizens.  It's called "Get off My Lawn!".
    Instead of skills you get new meds ever level?

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    With age, i just became less tolerant for unnecessary complexity.
    Nothing against a good learning curve, as i'm not a fan of hand holding -but things have to make sense. You have to actually be able to "learn" the ins and outs of a game by attentively playing it, instead of being forced to google because of lazy or stupid design that you just can't get behind.

Like the X-Series really wasn't simple at all, but it encouraged me to dig deeper and deeper and i actually learned how stuff worked -while i.e. Wildstar just had me shaking my head about some of it's nonsense that at times made me log out.
    I just don't want to deal with this needlessly frustrating side of some games' complexity that is only in place because a game does a bad job at explaining itself or it's systems are flawed by design. That didn't bother me too much when i was younger and i just went with it back then.

With age and more experience as a gamer, i became more sensitive for this sort of "inconvenient complexity" that could have been avoided if more thought and logic from the designer's end would have gone into it.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    waynejr2 said:
    flguy147 said:

Instead of skills you get new meds ever level?

Sure.  And gear too like walkers and rascals.  If you had factions, you could have Imperial Walkers and Rebel Rascals.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I agree with the OP.  When I first started playing games I did tons of research and had all kinds of spreadsheets and auxiliary programs to help get the most out of my stats.  Now I just want to login, feel like I've gotten something done in the fun department and logout. 

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey