Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is this game not getting more attention?

Comments

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited July 2016
    Not sure why you care so much whether people are hyped for this game or not Sean?
    It is better than another negative thread about how the sky is falling. People are digging this game, so what. Awesome I say.
    personally I see this hype as a very negative thing.

Sorry we disagree. I do wish people would look into better games because better games are out there and I think they deserve more recognition then they get

also, its a natural habit for anyone to have their hair stand up a little bit in frustration when they hear people saying things that are factually wrong and this game hype has created that and when I hear that factually wrong thing said it makes me react and I think it should

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

SEANMCAD said:
    Not sure why you care so much whether people are hyped for this game or not Sean?
    It is better than another negative thread about how the sky is falling. People are digging this game, so what. Awesome I say.
    personally I see this hype as a very negative thing.

Sorry we disagree. I do wish people would look into better games because better games are out there and I think they deserve more recognition then they get
    I do not know if other games in this genre are better. I have not played No Man's Sky yet.

well I could give you a list but I will not because I know what your next move will be. 

Regardless, that is my answer to your question. Additionally when I hear things that are factually wrong it makes me reaction in a way that might seem negitive to others but actually its just my attempt at correcting the factually incorrect statement. I have often heard people say 'and nobody has ever done this before' when refering to the size of the universe. they have said this WHILE Elite Dangerous was almost finished.

You might not think such a statement is unfair but I do. I think its unfair to Frontier and I think people need to at least know they are incorrect when making such a statement

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    SEANMCAD said:

also, its a natural habit for anyone to have their hair stand up a little bit in frustration when they hear people saying things that are factually wrong and this game hype has created that and when I hear that factually wrong thing said it makes me react and I think it should

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

I am not sure how many people are concerned if other games have the same features or not I think people just want to know if it is fun to play. If it is then what is wrong with that? There is room in the gaming space for many games. This is just another game in that space that includes some fine titles, some of which may be far superior but since no one here has actually played No Man's Sky yet we will just have to see. 
    1. when someone says 'its never been done before' (when refering to procedurally generated worlds) why do you see it a problem for me to mention that they are wrong?

2. when I mention that 2 years ago we knew very little about this game and even before we knew what we know now I can name off a few games that has a many features or more that this game as. why do you find that negative?

It appears to me that you want to propagate a falsehood and anyone who suggests to mention its falsehood you want to sugges they are being negitive.

I am going to take a wild guess right now. you want to get into marketing or you are already in marketing and/or taking classes on psychology and/or you are working directly with people who are in marketing in the gaming industry.

am I right on any of those guesses?

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    edited July 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    laserit said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Game really did not come out of nowhere. It was first shown in 2013 at VGX, Murray started making the engine in 2011. This thing has been kicking around for some time now.
    but again. speaking of 12 -6 months ago the public knew almost nothing about the game features but where hyped about it

All we knew for a long time was a video and that it was procedural generated with a lot of planets you could land on, that was it. for a long time that was all we knew, the developer told nobody anything more and people were going nuts over it.

we (including the press) knew nothign more for a very long time. Only in the past 3-4 months has substantive information come out
    The public and the media was shown something that looked really cool and their  imaginations ran away with it.

Not much more to it than that.
    I am struggling to explain.

I think I know a good example though The game Ingress has existed for about 3-4 years now. Its basically Pokemon Go nearly feature for feature. Yet just now people are falling over themselves as if a holygrail of gaming has just been invented

1. Procedural generated universes in which you can land on planets was already being worked  on by others before NMS was revealed to anyone

2. The game actually kind graphically looks like a cartoon

3. We knew nothing more about the game other than procedurally generated and you could land on planets.

Here is my theory. The console crowd found an 'exclusive' that had features (procedural generated and land on planets) that they had no idea was possible and the reason they notice this news article is because of the blue banner and the words 'PS4 Exclusive'. The creators of the game understand how important marketing is and either has the right connections in the marketing world or has some cash connections somewhere
    A name in your first paragraph explains itself  "Pokemon" It might not mean much to you and I... but my kids generation = OMG!!! POKEMON!!!

Immediately following E3 there was massive hype for NMS, then as time went on and more information was released, the hype meter has been in a steady and slow decline ever since. Its pretty much been a very quiet topic on these boards up until the NMS has gone gold announcement.

I hold absolutely no judgments on the game itself.

edit: Heck look at all the hype and topics about the game on these boards. A total of 7 topics and about 150 replies in 3 1/2 months.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178

Why is this game not getting more attention?

Because it is only 6 Gigs. If it was 7 Gigs people would be losing their minds.

The 6 gigs is only the audio. You still have to download the rest. 

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    SEANMCAD said:
    1. when someone says 'its never been done before' (when refering to procedurally generated worlds) why do you see it a problem for me to mention that they are wrong?

2. when I mention that 2 years ago we knew very little about this game and even before we knew what we know now I can name off a few games that has a many features or more that this game as. why do you find that negative?

1. Stop being so pedantic. No game has ever used procedural generation in the way that NMS does. NMS is not the first procedurally generated game, but it is the most ambitious to date. Everything is procedurally generated. Creatures aren't constructed from a range of possible pre-existing parts, the shapes are morphed freely within pre-defined bounds.

2. NMS has featured on all the major gaming sites after every E3 since 2014. Sorry you missed it, I didn't... :D

I'm not frenziedly excited about the game, but I'm really looking forward to it. It looks like a huge amount of fun, because I love exploring. It's not going to change my life or cause me to uninstall all my other games (at least I hope not)...
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    SEANMCAD said:

1. Stop being so pedantic. No game has ever used procedural generation in the way that NMS does. NMS is not the first procedurally generated game, but it is the most ambitious to date. Everything is procedurally generated. Creatures aren't constructed from a range of possible pre-existing parts, the shapes are morphed freely within pre-defined bounds.

2. NMS has featured on all the major gaming sites after every E3 since 2014. Sorry you missed it, I didn't... :D

I'm not frenziedly excited about the game, but I'm really looking forward to it. It looks like a huge amount of fun, because I love exploring. It's not going to change my life or cause me to uninstall all my other games (at least I hope not)...
    I read uninstalling your other games is a clause in the TOS!

edited July 2016
    SEANMCAD said:

1. and this is completely and totally false. I dont understand why people would have a problem with me illustrating that. peoples understanding of what makes this game 'uniquie' in its procedurally generation is not what you just described

2. again. having exposure on every major gaming site mean marketing dollars spent correctly. people thinking it just happens by inertia and because of quality are being naive

• GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989
    SpottyGekko said:
    I'm not frenziedly excited about the game, but I'm really looking forward to it.
    But...why? That's the thing. OP wonders about the hype. There's not more hype cause there' nothing to hype. Where/what is it? I don't get it. It's pretty....SO?

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• EluwienEluwien Member UncommonPosts: 196
    psiic said:
    This could possibly be the game of the century.  I just do not understand why it has had almost no discussion here. Game comes out in less than a month and its like no hype at all. 
    Because doesn't have multiplayer. 

DAoC - 00-06 - And every now and then
    WoW - Online since launch - and now back again.
    EVE - Online since 07 - and still on, and on, and on..
    WHO - Online 08-10
    LOTR-O - Online 06-08
    Also played : Asherons Call, EverQuest, EQ2, Dungeons & Dragons, Cabal, Dark & Light, GW, 
    GW2, LA2, Ryzom, Shaiya, SWG, Allods, Forsaken World, ArcheAge, Secret World, Darkfall, Rift, ESO, Tera.

SpottyGekko said:
    I'm not frenziedly excited about the game, but I'm really looking forward to it.
    But...why? That's the thing. OP wonders about the hype. There's not more hype cause there' nothing to hype. Where/what is it? I don't get it. It's pretty....SO?
    as a side note to all the things we can say about NMS 'pretty' in my view is absolutely not one of them but that is just my personal taste.

• GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989
    SEANMCAD said:
    SpottyGekko said:
    as a side note to all the things we can say about NMS 'pretty' in my view is absolutely not one of them but that is just my personal taste.
    Looked "pretty" to me...but I don't get the game I guess...

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

1. and this is completely and totally false. I dont understand why people would have a problem with me illustrating that. peoples understanding of what makes this game 'uniquie' in its procedurally generation is not what you just described

2. again. having exposure on every major gaming site mean marketing dollars spent correctly. people thinking it just happens by inertia and because of quality are being naive

It seems you are a lone voice in the wilderness... 
    The only one who can see the true truth... 

What a terrible burden to bear !

I'll spare a thought for you as I roam across NMS's multi-coloured galaxies ! :D 

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited July 2016
    Yeah seems MANY do NOT understand that hyping a bad or weak product does NOTHING to encourage BETTER gaming and better game design.
    I am not saying THIS particular game is BAD,the concept is good but in reality,it is a BUDGET half ass effort.
    Sure it might be all the developer can afford to pull off,well does that mean we should all high five and buy into it?Nope not at all,we should ALWAYS look for the best quality as well of course FUN factor.

Thing is after seeing thousands of upstart developers ,thousands of ideas,MOST ideas have already been covered.NOW we are waiting for some devs to do all these ideas some triple A justice,high end quality game design,praising old weak efforts is NOT helping anyone.
    I like the game's concept design but it is simply not good enough to warrant me to play it or buy into it.That does not mean i am telling others not to like it,simply means it does not meet my higher standards and is a below par effort.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

It seems you are a lone voice in the wilderness... 
    The only one who can see the true truth... 

What a terrible burden to bear !

I'll spare a thought for you as I roam across NMS's multi-coloured galaxies ! :D 

yes it is a burden no doubt but equally I have no doubt that the games I am playing are a lot better. So although you are thinking you are getting an amazing experience in your cartoon universe you actually are missing out.

edited July 2016
    Wizardry said:
    Yeah seems MANY do NOT understand that hyping a bad or weak product does NOTHING to encourage BETTER gaming and better game design.
    I am not saying THIS particular game is BAD,the concept is good but in reality,it is a BUDGET half ass effort.
    Sure it might be all the developer can afford to pull off,well does that mean we should all high five and buy into it?Nope not at all,we should ALWAYS look for the best quality as well of course FUN factor.

Thing is after seeing thousands of upstart developers ,thousands of ideas,MOST ideas have already been covered.NOW we are waiting for some devs to do all these ideas some triple A justice,high end quality game design,praising old weak efforts is NOT helping anyone.
    I like the game's concept design but it is simply not good enough to warrant me to play it or buy into it.That does not mean i am telling others not to like it,simply means it does not meet my higher standards and is a below par effort.

thing is I dont mind people being busy and not tapped into other information sources so that they can know about these 'other' great games what I mind is the near religious and near trolling efforts to discount them. As if what IGN says is the absolute immutable truth.

It starts at a young age with the false mythology (because myth in of itself is not a falsehood yet another misunderstanding of that concept) that quality always gets proper recognition from media outlets. Usually its just the opposite. One can almost draw a predictable curve where the more the hype = less the features.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

edited July 2016
    SEANMCAD said:

I have no doubt that the games I am playing are a lot better. So although you are thinking you are getting an amazing experience in your cartoon universe you actually are missing out.
    You nor anyone else here has any idea as to whether the other games out are better. No one here has actually played No Man's Sky. I understand you have a near fanatical need to discount the game because it has "gasp!" hype but be honest. You have no idea if you will like the game or not. Perhaps it is a game that turns out just 'eh' or perhaps it turns out amazing and you end up being the one missing out.
    No one knows. It is not out yet. It is strange to hear you page after page after page slam a game not even released and being a champion for Indie games so much you bash one of the most anticipated Indie games to come along in quite some time. Strange indeed. 
    lol..

perfect.

the hype is real and its off the scale but thankfully if anyone rebuts we can just say we dont know jack about the gameplay...lol pretty much a complete contradiction in terms

this game is going to be terrible is my prediction

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

SEANMCAD said:

this game is going to be terrible is my prediction
    We know...

Btw, why do you feel that hyping NMS's size is "unfair" to Elite:Dangerous ?

NMS's universe dwarfs that of E:D, they are not even in the same league.
    NMS has multiple galaxies, E:D only has one.