Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is this game not getting more attention?

Comments

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Hatefull said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Hatefull said:

You can try it as many times as you want, at the end of the day you are still wrong.  You spout wild conjecture unsupported with any facts and your definitions are lacking in the extreme.  You run your uninformed mouth trying to spout opinion as fact and you have ,to this point, in any conversation I have seen you in on this board failed to back anything you have said up.  All you essentially do is yell louder until people just get sick of reading your BS and then move on.

Until you have some fact you are nothing more than a loud mouth, that sounds like a drunk vaguely arguing some point you think you know something about. Your opinion matters and that is cool but at some point you are going to have to bring a fact or two into the conversation or you are irrelevant. If you are trying to get minimized on these forums you are dong a great job, if you feel like you want to make a contribution in a meaningful way to a conversation then grow up a bit and do that. Stomping your feet and being pissy pretty much constantly isn't doing that.
    You have made your point, I dont agree with it and I know I am right and I am not about to write you a book on marketing so we are done, please do not respond. I know I am right on this
    Not quite that easy bud.  You may be correct as it pertains to the game discussion (I doubt it very seriously) but as far as anything else no, you are not.

I am a business major along with owning my own business, and have been in the business realm for quite a while.  I have learned from doing this, that facts are required, especially if you intend to make strong statements. No professor, no partner, no intelligent person is going to buy; Because I feel like it is, so it is.

You are not correct, you are no where in the realm of correct.  As I said, your opinion has value or these boards would not be here, but if you are going to make strong definitive statements, let see where the facts lie. You are a smart dude, just do the homework and remove the emotion.
    here is how marketing works.

If you have a TON of money for marketing as No Man Sky does you CAN get people completely hyped into the game using nothing more than a video with no game description at all. If you do NOT have a ton of money then your game will not be hyped as much and as a result people who tend to think critically more often will ask 'what are the features specifically?'

Additionally to that, those who drink from the koolaid will see all the other games as just that 'other games' they are emotionally tied to the hype which to admit consciously that another game is just as good or better then the one they got all hyped about becomes a phycological condition that is often to uncomfortable to admit so subconsciously they seek flaws in the other games.

Marketing works on emotional strings and they tend to work better on people who do not use critical thinking skills as much as they use emotional skills.

If this is wrong then I have to ask, how is it possible that a game with nearly zero game description and frankly a boring video got so much hype for a year before we knew anything about it and yet there are games already out with more features then we could have imagined even possible just 3 years ago?

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    SEANMCAD said:
    Hatefull said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Hatefull said:

You can try it as many times as you want, at the end of the day you are still wrong.  You spout wild conjecture unsupported with any facts and your definitions are lacking in the extreme.  You run your uninformed mouth trying to spout opinion as fact and you have ,to this point, in any conversation I have seen you in on this board failed to back anything you have said up.  All you essentially do is yell louder until people just get sick of reading your BS and then move on.

Until you have some fact you are nothing more than a loud mouth, that sounds like a drunk vaguely arguing some point you think you know something about. Your opinion matters and that is cool but at some point you are going to have to bring a fact or two into the conversation or you are irrelevant. If you are trying to get minimized on these forums you are dong a great job, if you feel like you want to make a contribution in a meaningful way to a conversation then grow up a bit and do that. Stomping your feet and being pissy pretty much constantly isn't doing that.
    You have made your point, I dont agree with it and I know I am right and I am not about to write you a book on marketing so we are done, please do not respond. I know I am right on this
    Not quite that easy bud.  You may be correct as it pertains to the game discussion (I doubt it very seriously) but as far as anything else no, you are not.

I am a business major along with owning my own business, and have been in the business realm for quite a while.  I have learned from doing this, that facts are required, especially if you intend to make strong statements. No professor, no partner, no intelligent person is going to buy; Because I feel like it is, so it is.

You are not correct, you are no where in the realm of correct.  As I said, your opinion has value or these boards would not be here, but if you are going to make strong definitive statements, let see where the facts lie. You are a smart dude, just do the homework and remove the emotion.

If you have a TON of money for marketing as No Man Sky does you CAN get people completely hyped into the game using nothing more than a video with no game description at all. If you do NOT have a ton of money then your game will not be hyped as much and as a result people who tend to think critically more often will ask 'what are the features specifically?'

Additionally to that, those who drink from the koolaid will see all the other games as just that 'other games' they are emotionally tied to the hype which to admit consciously that another game is just as good or better then the one they got all hyped about becomes a phycological condition that is often to uncomfortable to admit so subconsciously they seek flaws in the other games.

Marketing works on emotional strings and they tend to work better on people who do not use critical thinking skills as much as they use emotional skills.

If this is wrong then I have to ask, how is it possible that a game with nearly zero game description and frankly a boring video got so much hype for a year before we knew anything about it and yet there are games already out with more features then we could have imagined even possible just 3 years ago?

First of all, again, you say NMS has a "...TON of money..." and it makes you seem like you have no idea about this game at all. NMS is an indie game created by the same people who created the Joe Danger series. So, when Joe Danger is your claim to fame and your staff size is BARELY double digits, you aren't working on a massive budget. In fact, that's the whole idea behind guerrilla marketing, and that's very much the route that NMS has gone. They didn't blow it up at E3 with a big flashy booth, they just showed a concept and created massive industry buzz. Check it out for yourself. I mean, damn, the article is even called "How No Man's Sky took on the games industry - and won." It actually outlines it quite well how it came about and why it's significant and why people are excited about it. Nothing to do with marketing $$$.

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    1) It already got plenty of attention. So much so that it won't be able to live up to expectations.
    2) It's also been delayed multiple times so the public has already been distracted by the new shiny
    edited June 2016
    CrazKanuk said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Hatefull said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Hatefull said:

First of all, again, you say NMS has a "...TON of money..." and it makes you seem like you have no idea about this game at all. NMS is an indie game created by the same people who created the Joe Danger series. So, when Joe Danger is your claim to fame and your staff size is BARELY double digits, you aren't working on a massive budget. In fact, that's the whole idea behind guerrilla marketing, and that's very much the route that NMS has gone. They didn't blow it up at E3 with a big flashy booth, they just showed a concept and created massive industry buzz. Check it out for yourself. I mean, damn, the article is even called "How No Man's Sky took on the games industry - and won." It actually outlines it quite well how it came about and why it's significant and why people are excited about it. Nothing to do with marketing $$$.
    lol..

right because some journalist saw the video and started telling everyone how great it was via work of mouth but nobody literally nobody knew anything about it for a year other than a video. no game play features nothin

yeah....no covert marketing plan there obviously. I mean just look at the orginal video it tells the whole story!

lol....too funny

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Hatefull said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Hatefull said:

lol..

right because some journalist saw the video and started telling everyone how great it was via work of mouth but nobody literally nobody knew anything about it for a year other than a video. no game play features nothin

yeah....no covert marketing plan there obviously. I mean just look at the orginal video it tells the whole story!

lol....too funny

Yeah, one journalist plus pretty much every other major gaming site that attended E3 2014. IGN gave it best PS4 game at the show, and it got 5 nominations altogether, including runner-up for Game of the Show. Gamesradar listed it as one of the biggest games of the show, as did Gamespot  Additionally, it won awards for innovation, best original game, and best indie game from Game Critics Awards

Sorry, but NMS has been on everyone's radar since E3 2014. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

edited July 2016
    CrazKanuk said:

lol..

lol....too funny

Yeah, one journalist plus pretty much every other major gaming site that attended E3 2014. IGN gave it best PS4 game at the show, and it got 5 nominations altogether, including runner-up for Game of the Show. Gamesradar listed it as one of the biggest games of the show, as did Gamespot  Additionally, it won awards for innovation, best original game, and best indie game from Game Critics Awards

Sorry, but NMS has been on everyone's radar since E3 2014. 

think about the time line and what was known LOGICALLY
    how did a game in which literally every human being on the planet (and reporters) other than the developer only knew a short video that didnt even show features

how is it possible for that video to generate that much hype. again I stress no features where known to anyone reporter or otherwise at that time.?

well one theory is because the video is amazing and show a lot of things we have never seen before:: exepct the video doesnt actually do that

the other theory is its a PR stunt and a lot of money  is being filtered to the right people for the right reasons

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    DMKano said:
    Because smaller companies don't have the money for TV commercials and statues of characters on street corners ;)

Yes I am joking - but seriously marketing is expensive, and smaller studios have to rely on game quality and word of mouth, instead of celebrities playing their game on late night talk shows

If they launch on steam that removes the need for advertising, and if its cross platform even better.

Marketing attracts people not really interested to begin with, or not that big into gaming.

The gaming industry is huge, so worrying about people being into gaming or not should be a non issue, and that just leaves access to video gamers.

If you build it, they will come... depending on the platform

Games like swtor or other big mmos had huge budget thats the cost to benefit was worth the incentive, since from their point of view they were making a game that vets of the genre would not be very interested in (not something built as something amazing to attract vets or new gamers) but wanted to attract sw fans, and new gamers. Which is a shame in away, since that means big money for big games, will want to market games to people who are new to games, or affiliated to context of the game through non gaming means, which means that the games for big money are usually made in such a way for these crowds as well, and not so much niche games.

So for any small enough company it doesnt make sense to waste money on marketing considering the demographic is tech savvy to begin with and how there is a market place for games, so to speak.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    This video explained a lot.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

Nilden said:
    This video explained a lot.

guys!

the hyper metter for this game has been off the scale for more than a year, the majority of the time its been literally ONE VIDEO with zero coments.

These videos and information that has come out lately is great but people are not hearing me.

I am refering to literally ONE and only ONE SPECIFIC video that spured a hype train for at least 6 months. The video contained zero information about the game and when asked nobody had an answer.

Hype like that just dosent grow naturally that way, it gets some help from dollars and if you think there isnt a fuck ton of covert marketing going on or 'Guerrilla marketing' going on in the world then you are navive.

• GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    After looking at the websites for all of these games listed (Elite: Dangerous, Star Made, StarsOne, Empyrion, and No Man's Skies), it looks like E: D and NMS are the only ones that would tempt me.  If they offer a free trial, I will definitely try NMS, and when I get my PSVR setup at the end of the year, it looks like it includes E: D.

And I have to say the gameplay in these two look quite different from each other.  I could see a lot of people buying and playing both of them.

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

edited July 2016
    GladDog said:
    After looking at the websites for all of these games listed (Elite: Dangerous, Star Made, StarsOne, Empyrion, and No Man's Skies), it looks like E: D and NMS are the only ones that would tempt me.  If they offer a free trial, I will definitely try NMS, and when I get my PSVR setup at the end of the year, it looks like it includes E: D.

And I have to say the gameplay in these two look quite different from each other.  I could see a lot of people buying and playing both of them.
    what blow my mind is this

'I would try a free trial for some of these 'other' games'
    'but I already am ready to pay for NMS'

This game just came out of nowhere, doesnt have that much innovative to offer and yet somehow by magic captured the hearts and minds of millions before we even had videos out telling us what the features are.

I have been close to the marketing beast in tech so I kinda know how this works.

edited July 2016
    here is an example:

'hey bob whatcha doing tonight?'
    'oh i was going to go home and look at new games on Steam or maybe some youtube videos'
    'ah you dont want to do that this developer of this cool game is hosting an event and paying for the drinks and the food you should come to that instead'

well as it turns out Bob ends up doing that pretty much all his free time so his entire vision of the gaming world is around which firms have taken his company out for drinks and drinking the koolaid offered, never having time to research outside of that box much.

I know it because I have seen it in another area of tech

• genaknoscgenaknosc Member UncommonPosts: 112
    The hype around this game has been built up so much, people have just been attributing gameplay effects and concepts that they are just imaging. Will the procedural galaxy be intriguing and amazing tech? Probably.

Will this be the coolest ground breaking game ever? Probably not. People had high hopes for Spore breaking tons of ground and it ended up being a flop that was soon forgotten.

As soon as folks realize that No Man's Sky is effectively a single player game that you can't really play with your friends or have planned PvP engagements, they'll move on to something else where you can.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

edited July 2016
    genaknosc said:
    The hype around this game has been built up so much, people have just been attributing gameplay effects and concepts that they are just imaging. Will the procedural galaxy be intriguing and amazing tech? Probably.

Will this be the coolest ground breaking game ever? Probably not. People had high hopes for Spore breaking tons of ground and it ended up being a flop that was soon forgotten.

As soon as folks realize that No Man's Sky is effectively a single player game that you can't really play with your friends or have planned PvP engagements, they'll move on to something else where you can.
    Somehow in ways I am not sure on they managed to target a large audience that previously had no concept of what procedural generation was or that it existed. If I had my guess IGN ran videos on this game and that they dont have any videos Space Engineers and even to this date only a handful of Elite Dangerous videos.

• GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    edited July 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    GladDog said:

This game just came out of nowhere, doesnt have that much innovative to offer and yet somehow by magic captured the hearts and minds of millions before we even had videos out telling us what the features are.

I have been close to the marketing beast in tech so I kinda know how this works.

No more pre-paying for games for me; been burned too many times.  I refuse to line the coffers of game developers until I am sure I like the product.  Like I said, I will try NMS if they have a trial or an open beta, but I will not spend a nickel until I am sure I will like it.  The fact that Elite: Dangerous is included in the PSVR package means that will be the litmus test for me.  E: D has a trial, so I get to take that one out for a test drive on my PC, which I will do this weekend.

Honestly, I have to agree with you on this.  NMS looks pretty good, but I think that people should de-hype a bit and try it before they commit to it, and they should at least look at one or two of the options available.  Honestly, E: D looks more my style.  Getting it for free helps that decision!

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

edited July 2016
    GladDog said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    GladDog said:

No more pre-paying for games for me; been burned too many times.  I refuse to line the coffers of game developers until I am sure I like the product.  Like I said, I will try NMS if they have a trial or an open beta, but I will not spend a nickel until I am sure I will like it.  The fact that Elite: Dangerous is included in the PSVR package means that will be the litmus test for me.  E: D has a trial, so I get to take that one out for a test drive on my PC, which I will do this weekend.
    ah my bad I misread you sorry, I had it backwards

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    SEANMCAD said:

I know it because I have seen it in another area of tech
    Just staaaaaaahp, lol

Are you literally trying to tell me how I "really" felt after watching the first NMS E3 demo ?

Are you going to keep trying to convince me that I only got excited once I'd been exposed to some mysterious "guerrilla marketing" ?

I saw the trailer. I was blown away. I followed the game ever since.

Is it really that hard to believe that my experience was not unique ?

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

edited July 2016
    Game really did not come out of nowhere. It was first shown in 2013 at VGX, Murray started making the engine in 2011. This thing has been kicking around for some time now.
    but again. speaking of 12 -6 months ago the public knew almost nothing about the game features but where hyped about it

All we knew for a long time was a video and that it was procedural generated with a lot of planets you could land on, that was it. for a long time that was all we knew, the developer told nobody anything more and people were going nuts over it.

we (including the press) knew nothign more for a very long time. Only in the past 3-4 months has substantive information come out

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

edited July 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    Game really did not come out of nowhere. It was first shown in 2013 at VGX, Murray started making the engine in 2011. This thing has been kicking around for some time now.
    but again. speaking of 12 -6 months ago the public knew almost nothing about the game features but where hyped about it

All we knew for a long time was a video and that it was procedural generated with a lot of planets you could land on, that was it. for a long time that was all we knew, the developer told nobody anything more and people were going nuts over it.

we (including the press) knew nothign more for a very long time. Only in the past 3-4 months has substantive information come out
    From 2 years ago:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/08/15/gamescom-2014-the-sun-will-burn-out-before-you-see-all-of-no-mans-sky

http://gamerant.com/no-mans-sky-game-size-hours/

http://www.theverge.com/2014/7/1/5856718/no-mans-sky-preview

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2014/08/18/it-takes-5-billion-years-to-visit-each-planet-in-no-mans-sky/#3eec02343b40

People I think knew enough for a couple of years now to be excited.

all of those articles are saying what I just said (from reading the title)

All we knew from two years ago is that the universe was huge and that you could land on planets. I thought I already said that

from 2 years ago:
    crafting? dont know
    combat? dont know
    building? dont know
    trading? dont know
    mother ships? dont know
    different ships? dont know
    get out of shipt? not sure
    mining? dont know
    housing? dont know
    quests? dont know
    missions? dont know
    story? dont know

and for the record 'The game promises conflict and danger, crafting, and so forth' isnt covering combat and crafting

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    SEANMCAD said:

The public and the media was shown something that looked really cool and their  imaginations ran away with it.

Not much more to it than that.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

edited July 2016
    laserit said:
    SEANMCAD said:

The public and the media was shown something that looked really cool and their  imaginations ran away with it.

Not much more to it than that.
    I am struggling to explain.

I think I know a good example though The game Ingress has existed for about 3-4 years now. Its basically Pokemon Go nearly feature for feature. Yet just now people are falling over themselves as if a holygrail of gaming has just been invented

1. Procedural generated universes in which you can land on planets was already being worked  on by others before NMS was revealed to anyone

2. The game actually kind graphically looks like a cartoon

3. We knew nothing more about the game other than procedurally generated and you could land on planets.

Here is my theory. The console crowd found an 'exclusive' that had features (procedural generated and land on planets) that they had no idea was possible and the reason they notice this news article is because of the blue banner and the words 'PS4 Exclusive'. The creators of the game understand how important marketing is and either has the right connections in the marketing world or has some cash connections somewhere

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다