Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elite Dangerous - 100 k$ PvP tournament cancelled, Icarus Cup announced

ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
The "Close Quarter Combat" PvP tournament announced for 2016 (with total price money of 100 k$) has been officially cancelled.
Reason - some needed features have not been implemented yet.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/272215-CQC-tournament-update

Frontier is replacing it with another, somewhat less ambitious in game PVP tournament called "The Icarus Cup". Sorry, no real life prize money, folks. 

There is a bit of grumbling amongst pilots that trained hard for the CQC tournament and its planned qualifying bouts (source - GameStar magazine:  http://www.gamestar.de/spiele/elite-dangerous/news/elite_dangerous,45128,3275666.html  )

Have fun

Comments

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405
    They thought they would get into esports with the failed arena.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Oops...

That's rather embarrassing. But then again, missing deadlines is nothing new at SC, lol
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Oops...

That's rather embarrassing. But then again, missing deadlines is nothing new at SC, lol
    That is E:D, not SC.

Have fun
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Erillion said:
    Oops...

That is E:D, not SC.

Have fun
    How terribly, terribly embarrassing... for me !

I need to pay more attention to the contents of posts, rather than automatically associating subject matter with certain posters, lol
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    At least they're transparent about their delays and such. Unlike that other company making a space-based pseudo-MMO. 

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    edited July 2016
    At least they're transparent about their delays and such. 
    That they (Frontier)  were NOT transparent about the delay is the very point of the Gamestar article (in German) and a similar Eurogamer article in English:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-07-11-frontier-cans-its-own-usd100-000-elite-dangerous-tournament

"Many players including myself have spent numerous hours playing the CQC Arena mode, leveling up, unlocking the ship modules and weapons and practising to be able to participate in the qualifying heats and get an opportunity to be in the live final."

"However, after all this hard work preparing for the tournament, it's time arrived and the company not only did not announce further promised details about it, it also did not answer any player questions, concerns and requests for tournament status information, maintaining a tournament communication blackout ever since."

And i too was one of those Arena Players. So... I am not exactly pleased. 

Have fun

• ExcessionExcession Member RarePosts: 709
    Could be worse, if it was SC, player's would have had to buy $100k worth of ship's so that CiG could afford to host the tourney and have a $10k prize pool, only to announce that since it is still pre alpha, the content for the tourney is not yet in game. ;P

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.