Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why AR will be what Current VR always dreamed of.

maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
edited July 2016 in General Gaming
Less than a week in the US and a simple AR app, Pokemon Go, is close to outpacing Twitter,  has made almost 2 Million dollars a day on the iOS store alone, and has people all over getting out of their house, into parks, into their neighborhoods and playing.

This is rather encouraging to AR enthusiasts.  While Ingress has been on the market for years, it seemed that while it had a large appeal, it didn't have the same widespread appeal as the Pokemon Franchise.

These days AR and MR are headed to the next step,  and that step is headsets.  Some AR headsets are somewhat cumbersome  (and powerful)  like Hololens and some are much less obtrusive like Google Glass and Magic Leap.  

While we probably won't see the hardware on the market for another year or two, and likely slow sales thereafter, the AR translations between what we're playing today, (Like Pokemon Go)  have fantastic implications for what we can expect in the future if this trend holds true.

These kinds of experiences are things that VR headsets weren't and aren't able to accomplish.  For example,  We've had google cardboard and Gear VR that uses cell phones too,  some cardboard systems are even free --  and it works with many of the same Cell Phones that people are using for Pokemon Go.

But , there aren't any "smash hits" for Gear VR.  There aren't millions of downloads, or a breakout title.  Nintendo did in less than a week what Oculus and Samsung have been trying to do since they launched  Gear VR about a year ago. 

Comments

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    I think a key components of Pokémon Go's AR success is that it's simple, phone-based AR. Everyone has the hardware in their pocket. They use it throughout the day, it doesn't impede their access to anything, and you don't have to set anything up.

AR will have the same challenge as VR if they look to make powerhouse devices that require laptops/desktops to be connected to them.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited July 2016
    That sounds great! for me however AR looks like a turd on acid and I personally dont want anything to do with it. Glad the Pokemon crowd loves it

What 'high end' AR looks like
    http://c.fastcompany.net/multisite_files/fastcompany/imagecache/inline-large/inline/2015/07/3048396-inline-i-1-what-it-really-looks-like-inside-microsofts-hololens.gif

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

These kinds of experiences are things that VR headsets weren't and aren't able to accomplish.
    Quite so, "horses for courses", as they say.

AR is an undeniable part of the future, and I don't doubt that it will have far wider applications than VR, most of which will not be gaming-related.

But AR can never give you the same experience as VR. AR does not replace your RL visual reality, it augments it.

AR can put a monster on your coffee table, but it's still your table in your livingroom. I much prefer seeing that monster partially behind a crumbling stone pillar in some torch-lit dungeon...
  • XxPriestxXXxPriestxX Member UncommonPosts: 133
    Yeah, I love this new AR thing, all the news reports of people using said app to mug you or case your house is awesome!
    Trolling, being trolled, getting banned, yelling at mods, getting perma banned, making new accounts, and still trolling this site since 2004 =D
    Yeah, I love this new AR thing, all the news reports of people using said app to mug you or case your house is awesome!
    what AR really looks like

this is a real life image of what is seen using a Hololense which incidentally is also the most uncomfortable of all AR/VR headsets because for it to be accurate it has to be very tight and stable

http://c.fastcompany.net/multisite_files/fastcompany/imagecache/inline-large/inline/2015/07/3048396-inline-i-1-what-it-really-looks-like-inside-microsofts-hololens.gif

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

These kinds of experiences are things that VR headsets weren't and aren't able to accomplish.

AR is an undeniable part of the future, and I don't doubt that it will have far wider applications than VR, most of which will not be gaming-related.

But AR can never give you the same experience as VR. AR does not replace your RL visual reality, it augments it.

AR can put a monster on your coffee table, but it's still your table in your livingroom. I much prefer seeing that monster partially behind a crumbling stone pillar in some torch-lit dungeon...
    I think it would be possible to do that eventually.  For example, Pokemon Go allows you to turn off "AR" if you wanted to which puts the pokemon in a virtual world.  I could see an "AR Cover" like a cardboard or Gear peripheral that could aid some higher powered sets to VR.   It would probably work similarly to VR sets using a passthrough camera,  but like the Vive with the passthrough camera, your surroundings would be pixelated and the light distortion through the lens and delay would be subpar in the long run.

I know it's hard to believe, but those people would be mugging other people and casing other houses anyway.  Bad people will always have the propensity to do bad things, regardless of whether you're playing a game, walking home, or enjoying a picnic in the park.   

You hear about these muggings BECAUSE pokemon go is so popular.  People wouldn't have cared about an article that said "Man staring at phone while walking home gets mugged on street corner"    That happens all the time,  it doesn't have the trend words Pokemon Go in it.

It's a way for the media to get hits and also remind the public that fear mongering is real. 

I think it would be possible to do that eventually.  For example, Pokemon Go allows you to turn off "AR" if you wanted to which puts the pokemon in a virtual world.  I could see an "AR Cover" like a cardboard or Gear peripheral that could aid some higher powered sets to VR.   It would probably work similarly to VR sets using a passthrough camera,  but like the Vive with the passthrough camera, your surroundings would be pixelated and the light distortion through the lens and delay would be subpar in the long run.

No, the moment AR-generated visuals completely replace your visual reality, it has become VR.

AR adds things to your normal field of vision. VR replaces your normal field of vision.

I know it's hard to believe, but those people would be mugging other people and casing other houses anyway.  Bad people will always have the propensity to do bad things, regardless of whether you're playing a game, walking home, or enjoying a picnic in the park.   

You hear about these muggings BECAUSE pokemon go is so popular.  People wouldn't have cared about an article that said "Man staring at phone while walking home gets mugged on street corner"    That happens all the time,  it doesn't have the trend words Pokemon Go in it.

It's a way for the media to get hits and also remind the public that fear mongering is real. 
    Funny, this article mentions how people are being baited to their own detriment, I suppose they'd all have been there to be robbed anyways? lol

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/thieves-pokemon-find-players-rob-missouri-article-1.2706417

Trolling, being trolled, getting banned, yelling at mods, getting perma banned, making new accounts, and still trolling this site since 2004 =D
    SEANMCAD said:

this is a real life image of what is seen using a Hololense which incidentally is also the most uncomfortable of all AR/VR headsets because for it to be accurate it has to be very tight and stable

Maybe a full video and not a gif would be better for Hololens?  Gifs are relatively low FPS,  but even still there are plenty of fantastic videos for Hololens out there.

Or, you may like magicleap instead.   the below was actually shot through the magic leap hardware

No, the moment AR-generated visuals completely replace your visual reality, it has become VR.

AR adds things to your normal field of vision. VR replaces your normal field of vision.
     Thats one of the reasons that Magic Leap strays from using the term AR and instead uses MR - Mixed Reality,  incorporating VR and AR.  It's possible that there could be a kind of crossover,  if nothing else, consider that Hololens runs on Windows 10, and you could potentially run VR applications on it.  Whether someone could make it work or not.. who knows? 

Funny, this article mentions how people are being baited to their own detriment, I suppose they'd all have been there to be robbed anyways? lol

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/thieves-pokemon-find-players-rob-missouri-article-1.2706417

No, because if Pokemon Go never existed, these muggers would have just stuck up some guy on the corner.  

Someone didn't wake up one morning and say "Y'know? I have never really wanted to mug anyone, but now that Pokemon Go released, I think I'm gunna lure some punks in and Mug'em"

Lets not be foolish. 

• EpicJohnsonEpicJohnson Member UncommonPosts: 83

This is what AR will give us :)

This is what AR will give us :)
    haha! That would be awesome!  Pixels... nice.

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    VR is here right now and close to its prime.  Meanwhile AR is about 50 years away.  Its a step towards AR for sure but its a long way off.  And pokemon Go is not an AR program.  Not even close.  It would be like calling mapquest AR.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
    filmoret said:
    VR is here right now and close to its prime.  Meanwhile AR is about 50 years away.  Its a step towards AR for sure but its a long way off.  And pokemon Go is not an AR program.  Not even close.  It would be like calling mapquest AR.
    What do you believe AR is?

edited July 2016
    SEANMCAD said:

Maybe a full video and not a gif would be better for Hololens?  Gifs are relatively low FPS,  but even still there are plenty of fantastic videos for Hololens out there.

Or, you may like magicleap instead.   the below was actually shot through the magic leap hardware

that video looks like shit compared to VR, but at leas tyou can see your dirty clothes on the couch

edited July 2016

yeah because the headset actually projects an image for others to see who do not have a headset.

no wait, it doesnt do that thus we have no idea what that guy is ACTUALLY seeing

SEANMCAD said:

yeah because the headset actually projects an image for others to see who do not have a headset.

no wait, it doesnt do that thus we have no idea what that guy is ACTUALLY seeing
    If you are the one playing what do you care what other people can see.

No, because if Pokemon Go never existed, these muggers would have just stuck up some guy on the corner.  

Someone didn't wake up one morning and say "Y'know? I have never really wanted to mug anyone, but now that Pokemon Go released, I think I'm gunna lure some punks in and Mug'em"

Lets not be foolish. 
    You're the perfect candidate for this setup then it would seem, what with your head so far down in the sand. It doesn't MATTER what would have, could have, but didn't happen. What matters is they used the program to bait the poketards to come to them to be mugged, they didn't have to go out hunting or find  someone on some corner. The tool used is part of the game, used for 'drawing more people to a certain area'. Muggers now, pedo's later.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited July 2016
    I've always liked AR over VR.  VR requires a large investment and cuts you off from the world and as stated the basic form of AR runs already on your cell, just d/l and go.  I'm actually looking forward to something like Google Glass that works through your cell.

I want something like this.  It would provide vehicle information when in you car and general communications when out or at home.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

I repeat: Once AR completely replaces everything in your field of vision, it is no longer AR, it has become VR.

But I have no intention of being pedantic about it. If some some company wants to sell me a VR headset and call it AR, I don't care in the slightest.

All I care about is the user-experience. If the tech can convincingly transport me to a complete fantasy world, you can give it any cryptonym your heart desires, lol
  • heerobyaheerobya Member UncommonPosts: 465

Well that was cool!
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Rusque said:
    I think a key components of Pokémon Go's AR success is that it's simple, phone-based AR. Everyone has the hardware in their pocket. They use it throughout the day, it doesn't impede their access to anything, and you don't have to set anything up.

AR will have the same challenge as VR if they look to make powerhouse devices that require laptops/desktops to be connected to them.

AR doesn't require a system to be hooked to. The Hololens for example is completely standalone. 
    edited July 2016
    SlyLoK said:
    Rusque said:

AR doesn't require a system to be hooked to. The Hololens for example is completely standalone. 
    However AR by comparision looks TERRIBLE and regardless of your game context it will almost always require real life objects to be part of the game context. AR is very inferior to VR when it comes to gaming