Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Website/Store fiasco continues- Dev tells fans that criticizing them does not help...

Comments

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    MMO kickstarters 101: Create a vision to lure in potential players. Give a timeline that is near enough to get people to give you free money, even though you know it is unachievable. Create a cash shop well before the game launches to sell virtual goods and p2w advantages to early backers. 

When deadlines are broken just make some excuses; believe it or not people will continue to eat it up, keep paying, keep denying that anything is wrong, and keep clinging to the vision, the dream you sold them. 

Its a great business model that has been proven to keep devs rolling in free cash for many years, and there is even the possibility that an mmo will eventually be released, although we are still waiting to see someone actually get to that stage.
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    YashaX said:
    MMO kickstarters Game Development 101: Create a vision to lure in potential players. Give a timeline that is near enough to get people to give you free money, even though you know it is unachievable. Create a cash shop well before the game launches to sell virtual goods and p2w advantages to early backers. 

When deadlines are broken just make some excuses; believe it or not people will continue to eat it up, keep paying, keep denying that anything is wrong, and keep clinging to the vision, the dream you sold them. 

Its a great business model that has been proven to keep devs rolling in free cash for many years, and there is even the possibility that an mmo will eventually be released, although we are still waiting to see someone actually get to that stage.

There! Fixed it for you. Don't know why you felt like this was something limited to crowdfunded games, but no worries! Got your back! 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    If I were a small team on a fairly tight budget and needed an eStore right away, I'd just use Wix or Weebly, or Wordpress, or Squarespace and have my store up and running in an afternoon - then while you are having money come in via purchases, you can have your team/newly hired web dev build the full site + backend which you can transition to later.

Seriously, you can have a site up in less than a day with full eCommerce capacity and zero web programming knowledge. And you're looking at somewhere around $150-$250 per YEAR to have it up. I'm assuming the shop will tie into the game and be accessible via an in-game shop which will require someone to build it, but in the meantime (y'know since you're game isn't actually done yet), just have a shop where people can spend money and do the rest behind the scenes so you don't end up in this exact mess.

Honestly, they're not even at anything that resembles "the hard part" and they're stumbling. Not only that, their reaction to their own suckage is to get cranky at people who criticize them. All I can say to them is . . QQ moar scrubs.
    CrazKanuk said:
    YashaX said:
    MMO kickstarters Game Development 101: Create a vision to lure in potential players. Give a timeline that is near enough to get people to give you free money, even though you know it is unachievable. Create a cash shop well before the game launches to sell virtual goods and p2w advantages to early backers. 

There! Fixed it for you. Don't know why you felt like this was something limited to crowdfunded games, but no worries! Got your back! 

I think you are far off base. When I buy a game I have usually watched/read reviews or played previous games in the series. When I pay the money I can play the game immediately or in the very near future (if I preorder) and if I preorder I know 100% that I am going to get the game. I cannot think of any game that I have bought that has "disappointed" me. I am not buying (donating money) a "dream" that may or may not be released, I am buying something real and I have a good idea about how it will perform.

I don't write off crowdfunding (or whatever its called) totally though. I can think of two single player games off the top of my head that were made with the help of community funding and were acclaimed as some of the best rpgs ever made. But both those games were made by dev teams that already had a slew of similar games under their belts.

The mmo kickstarter craze is a completely different beast. History has shown it has played out exactly as I described above, and yet people are still falling for it. Or perhaps like you they just can't see because the wool has been pulled over their eyes. Sad. 

YashaX said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    YashaX said:

I think you are far off base. When I buy a game I have usually watched/read reviews or played previous games in the series. When I pay the money I can play the game immediately or in the very near future (if I preorder) and if I preorder I know 100% that I am going to get the game. I cannot think of any game that I have bought that has "disappointed" me. I am not buying (donating money) a "dream" that may or may not be released, I am buying something real and I have a good idea about how it will perform.

I don't write off crowdfunding (or whatever its called) totally though. I can think of two single player games off the top of my head that were made with the help of community funding and were acclaimed as some of the best rpgs ever made. But both those games were made by dev teams that already had a slew of similar games under their belts.

The mmo kickstarter craze is a completely different beast. History has shown it has played out exactly as I described above, and yet people are still falling for it. Or perhaps like you they just can't see because the wool has been pulled over their eyes. Sad. 

....And you are more then welcome to wait for ANY crowdfunded game you please. I pre-ordered Witcher 3 like a year before it was supposed to come out, simply because I had money at the time and I would ultimately spend it. There were at least 3 delays with W3. On top of that, there was an inherent risk it would suck. I accepted that. Granted, I am nearly certain to receive some sort of game, where there is greater risk with crowdfunded games, there is an opportunity for me to take just as much risk on the game being great, or falling for the hype, as there is with crowdfunded games. 

As far as Kickstarter & MMOs go, it's much too early to say anything. All we really know at this point is that making MMOs is difficult. However, there is plenty of evidence to suggest that there are better days ahead. Elite Dangerous and Albion Online have both shown, recently, that it can be done. There are a host of others in alpha/beta which are close enough to say it can be done. 

I just think it's hilarious that some people actually believe that these developers are somewhere in the Bahamas, working 3 hours a day, while partying the rest of the time with all of the money they made from their KS campaign. Please, PLEASE!! Given me all this data you're talking about as being "fact" stating that it "...proven to keep devs rolling in free cash for many years..." That is, possibly, the funniest statement that I've heard in my life. Saving SC, the number of MMO KS campaigns which made enough money to sustain development for the amount of time it's taken them to make their game is, literally, zero. KS is no more than a marketing tool to create awareness and, hopefully, attract other investors. Either that, or they use the money for tools, work a full-time job, and then come home and spend another full work-day working on the KS game that they're passionate about. Oh, and did I mention that they then get to log onto forums and listen to people calling them crooks. Please!! Sign me the fuck up!! Sounds like a cake walk!

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

• holdenfiveholdenfive Member UncommonPosts: 170
    edited July 2016
    Im a firm believer the customer isn't always right. CS staff do absolutely have the right to defend themselves verbally within reason, and working in a volatile industry myself Ive done so myself frequently with management support. But, you handle those situations individually and with tact. You dont, as a company, make a -general- statement when you are having whatever technical issue essentially telling your customer base to shut the fuck up. Especially from one of the 'leaders' of the company. Because this is basically addressed to everyone who complained regardless of their manner and tone.

And beyond that, it makes you look inept and weak. And, if anything, lends credibility to the complaints rather than stifle them. Do I believe them capable of producing an epic scale mmo when they show they don't even have a 16 year old's understanding of basic social psychology?

Nope.

It is a source of pride for some folks how they respond under pressure. To me that is the key attribute I look for in a person who I'm entrusting a task to. It doesnt matter how trivial the task might seem, things can and will go wrong. At the first sign of adversity and for a moment the hero worship isn't as overt as they'd like it to be, and they get rattled and quippy.

It's a little late in the game to start learning how to cope with challenges now. These blokes dont have the sand, full stop. 
    Post edited by holdenfive on
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    And they have some pretty aggressive timelines for development?
    Well, we'll see how those go.
  • SirmatthiasSirmatthias Member UncommonPosts: 562
    edited July 2016
    Why you people believe Kickstarters are a investing tool? Investment means return on a product.
    Amatures
    Armchair critic, Monday morning quarterback ... er .... just like me.  :p

Yeah maybe so on the amature comment, but I sure don't see many AAA MMO developers exactly knocking it out of the park right now either so what are our choices? Me personally I feel the era of the MMORPG has run its course as there are better quicker and safer ways for developers to make money. Not to mention the fan base the companies seem to be aiming for are largely made up of rather bitter old vets who will turn their noses up at anything put in front of them. So I have to wonder what's in it for the people who are choosing to stick by this particular genre as its seems they'd just be better off sitting at home and crushing their own testicles in a vice.

“Half of life is fucking up, the other half is dealing with it.” 
    ― Henry Rollins
    They are asking for my money, not the other way around. They need to be more professional.

I won't go seeking medical care from some back-alley practitioner simply because I'm not a doctor myself. Why should I offer my money to someone in any other industry (mis)representing themselves?

At least with AAA games, I may not like what I get, and feel like I got the Bait'n'Switch, but generally speaking if they are accepting my money, I'm going to get something for it in return. That's not the case here. IMO, I'm betting this project is doomed before it ever begins. Or if not doomed, it'll be in Early Access / Alpha for the next 13 years.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Why you people believe Kickstarters are a investing tool? Investment means return on a product.
    Except that return can come in various forms. 

There are all sorts of agencies that use the word "investment" but do not mean to make money on that "investment".
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SirmatthiasSirmatthias Member UncommonPosts: 562
    To invest is to allocate money (or sometimes another resource, such as time) in the expectation of some benefit in the future. In finance, the expected future benefit from investment is a return. The return may consist of capital gain and/or investment income, including dividends, interest, rental income etc. Investment generally results in acquiring an asset, also called an investment. If the asset is available at a price worth investing, it is normally expected either to generate income, or to appreciate in value, so that it can be sold at a higher price (or both). Investors generally expect higher returns from riskier investments. Financial assets range from low-risk, low-return investments, such as high-grade government bonds, to those with higher risk and higher expected commensurate reward, such as emerging markets stock investments. Investors, particularly novices, are often advised to adopt an investment strategy and diversify their portfolio. Diversification has the statistical effect of reducing overall risk. -from Wiki So if a Kickstarter MMO game developer ask people to invest with money for a perceived Asset that is presumed risky for some benefit in the future- it can be classified as a investment loosely. Still seems dumb to me fund a developer without a return. I prefer "preorder" instead of investment as it pertains to this climate
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Sometimes things are late. Sometimes things are early. Thats life. 
    To invest is to allocate money (or sometimes another resource, such as time) in the expectation of some benefit in the future. In finance, the expected future benefit from investment is a return. The return may consist of capital gain and/or investment income, including dividends, interest, rental income etc. Investment generally results in acquiring an asset, also called an investment. If the asset is available at a price worth investing, it is normally expected either to generate income, or to appreciate in value, so that it can be sold at a higher price (or both). Investors generally expect higher returns from riskier investments. Financial assets range from low-risk, low-return investments, such as high-grade government bonds, to those with higher risk and higher expected commensurate reward, such as emerging markets stock investments. Investors, particularly novices, are often advised to adopt an investment strategy and diversify their portfolio. Diversification has the statistical effect of reducing overall risk. -from Wiki So if a Kickstarter MMO game developer ask people to invest with money for a perceived Asset that is presumed risky for some benefit in the future- it can be classified as a investment loosely. Still seems dumb to me fund a developer without a return. I prefer "preorder" instead of investment as it pertains to this climate
    It is investment in the most precious of commodities- dreams; and the dramas along the way are the dividends.
    Amatures
    Armchair critic, Monday morning quarterback ... er .... just like me.  :p

Yeah maybe so on the amature comment, but I sure don't see many AAA MMO developers exactly knocking it out of the park right now either so what are our choices? Me personally I feel the era of the MMORPG has run its course as there are better quicker and safer ways for developers to make money. Not to mention the fan base the companies seem to be aiming for are largely made up of rather bitter old vets who will turn their noses up at anything put in front of them. So I have to wonder what's in it for the people who are choosing to stick by this particular genre as its seems they'd just be better off sitting at home and crushing their own testicles in a vice.

“Half of life is fucking up, the other half is dealing with it.” 
    ― Henry Rollins
    They are asking for my money, not the other way around. They need to be more professional.

I won't go seeking medical care from some back-alley practitioner simply because I'm not a doctor myself. Why should I offer my money to someone in any other industry (mis)representing themselves?

At least with AAA games, I may not like what I get, and feel like I got the Bait'n'Switch, but generally speaking if they are accepting my money, I'm going to get something for it in return. That's not the case here. IMO, I'm betting this project is doomed before it ever begins. Or if not doomed, it'll be in Early Access / Alpha for the next 13 years.

I don't completely disagree with regards to professionalism. That being said, there is a distinct lack of maturity in gaming all around. People say they want accountability. Someone tries to be accountable and they are met with hisses and boos and people literally wishing death upon them. Again, this is why accountability doesn't work. The reality is that while some can handle it, it would seem that the majority of people are simply looking for something to attack someone else over. What's worse is that we encourage this type of behavior through things like Twitch and YouTube, essentially paying people to be raging assholes.

I can't speak to the success or failure of this project, but I will say that I've demonstrated on more than a handful of cases that the majority of crowdfunded games to deliver, contrary to popular belief. So if you can get a game for 50% or less of it's cost at release, why does that not make good sense? First, you're promoting innovation, you're paying for something you hope comes to fruition, and you're supporting a developer who is doing work that interests you. Plus! If you take calculated risks, you will be likely to achieve a positive net on your "investment" when it's released. If you distribute your funds in a smart way, then you'll realize gains. Personally, I haven't put money into something that failed, yet, and I'm paying something like 33% of what the game costs at release, on average, across 10 projects or so. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited July 2016
    Distopia said:
    Koboli said:

THAT'S an enormous red flag.

THAT'S the problem with this - that you've got a game being developed, essentially, by pedantic children in the midst of one of a series of temper tantrums, who don't possess the wherewithal or even common sense to approach their customer base pragmatically. 
    I think it's disingenuous for people to treat this type of thing based on the treatment they're used to receiving in retail or sit in dining. Which is where most of this "respect the customer" mentality has evolved from. If people did what folks do online at any place of business they'd be told where the door is as well. In certain cases they'd also leave with a punch in the face or in handcuffs...

The ever lasting mob mentality online is just ridiculous, it's like having a five year old in the back asking if we're there yet, while kicking your seat every 2 seconds and throwing poo on you. I think Devs as it stands let the mob get away with too much, I personally applaud the few that get fed up enough to just say STFU.

So says the poster with over 19,000 posts.

Just let that sink in a bit there.
    What does my post count have to do with it? It's not like I sit around bitching about games in those posts.. Nor do I join in on the chorus of disapproval. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

edited July 2016
    Koboli said:

So we should accept substandard customer service in an internet setting, be talked down to, mocked, chastized, or otherwise ridiculed because of some nebulous concept like electronic mob mentality? 

Well, good thing for Soulbound Studios that there are white knight apologists like yourself to clean up their messes for them! Heaven knows where we'd be as a species if there wasn't always the one guy in the crowd bending over backwards to make excuses for bad behavior. 

You know what? Here's a radical idea: how about the people trying to sell something to us not treat their current and potential customers like a bunch of assholes? Gee, what a concept!
    There it is, the "white knight" assumption (the herd reaction when someone calls them out)... My comment doesn't just apply to this scenario, it's my take on the way folks act online toward almost all games, which like I said would get the same or worse reaction in real life in a place of business (if people actually did that type of stuff IRL)...

IF people didn't act like a bunch of a-holes no one would treat them as such. This shit flows both ways.

• TimberhickTimberhick Member UncommonPosts: 554
    Distopia said:

What does my post count have to do with it? It's not like I sit around bitching about games in those posts.. Nor do I join in on the chorus of disapproval. 
    Um...I guess it didn't sink in.

Sure your not in the Chorus of Disapproval, but you are in the Choir of Disapproval of the Chorus of Disapproval.
    You continue to preach that somehow the 'mob mentality' of the Choir of Disapproval is so much better than the 'mob mentality' of the Chorus of Disapproval.

Distopia said:

Sure your not in the Chorus of Disapproval, but you are in the Choir of Disapproval of the Chorus of Disapproval.
    You continue to preach that somehow the 'mob mentality' of the Choir of Disapproval is so much better than the 'mob mentality' of the Chorus of Disapproval.

Is this the I know you are but what am I defense?

• joeslowmoejoeslowmoe Member UncommonPosts: 127
    edited July 2016
    Love the "We have your money; go fuck yourself" response to disappointment and frustration from thier fanbase.  Only people who are supporting them at this point are really effected by this.  What a way to show you stand behind the product you've already sold them on.  "Piss off" is always what I want to hear from the manufacturer when the product they are selling fails to meet their self imposed standards.

I mean they're the ones creating these timelines not the people who's cash they've taken up to this point.  If they can't even be honest in setting reasonable/attainable goals for basics such as this what hope is there for something of a much grander scale, i.e. a completely functional game world/system?

Certainly purely defensive, i'm butthurt, type replies such as this from the Dev Team should not be the norm.
    Love the "We have your money; go fuck yourself" response to disappointment and frustration from thier fanbase.  Only people who are supporting them at this point are really effected by this.  What a way to show you stand behind the product you've already sold them on.  "Piss off" is always what I want to hear from the manufacturer when the product they are selling fails to meet their self imposed standards.

I mean they're the ones creating these timelines not the people who's cash they've taken up to this point.  If they can't even be honest in setting reasonable/attainable goals for basics such as this what hope is there for something of a much grander scale, i.e. a completely functional game world/system?

Certainly purely defensive, i'm butthurt, type replies such as this from the Dev Team should not be the norm.

Not sure where you're getting that from. I think that the general response was very nice, to their user base. I think it's actually a back-handed comment to those who seem content to sit on the sidelines and troll ad nauseum. Just seems like the flavor of the day. I'm kinda starting to think that maybe this is the whole reason that The Purge began in the first place. I totally get it. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

edited July 2016
    Distopia said:

WHAT?

"How dare you disapprove of my disapproval of those who disapprove!"

edited July 2016

WHAT?

(The sad truth is while that while the above comment was intended to be sarcastic, it's 100% accurate to the context of the posts.)

To me it's more like saying everyone is to one extreme or the other, which isn't accurate at all. 

That said, I hope it wasn't the above comment that got him banned that would be silly.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Distopia said:

IF people didn't act like a bunch of a-holes no one would treat them as such. This shit flows both ways.

Quite so.

But people that appear incompetent or arrogant also tend to catch a good deal of flak...

I've seen a litany of excuses from SBS since all this started weeks ago, but I've yet to see any sign of them taking responsibility for their f**k-ups.

No "we're sorry, we made a bunch of bad decisions, but we're doing our best to salvage things".

AFAIK, everything from the badly chosen web store package to the repeated implementation failures are ALL direct results of decisions made by SBS. A string of management failures.

And the best they can do is "Criticizing us won't fix things any faster" ?
    Distopia said:

WHAT?

(The sad truth is while that while the above comment was intended to be sarcastic, it's 100% accurate to the context of the posts.)

To me it's more like saying everyone is to one extreme or the other, which isn't accurate at all. 

That said, I hope it wasn't the above comment that got him banned that would be silly.
    Still, he was "reaching" for something......And his point just wasn't there.
    edited July 2016

Quite so.

But people that appear incompetent or arrogant also tend to catch a good deal of flak...

I've seen a litany of excuses from SBS since all this started weeks ago, but I've yet to see any sign of them taking responsibility for their f**k-ups.

No "we're sorry, we made a bunch of bad decisions, but we're doing our best to salvage things".

AFAIK, everything from the badly chosen web store package to the repeated implementation failures are ALL direct results of decisions made by SBS. A string of management failures.

And the best they can do is "Criticizing us won't fix things any faster" ?
    Yes they certainly do catch a great deal of flak. In many cases rightly so. That said my comment was more toward the never ending flak devs and the like receive on a daily basis for months on end, which never lets up and tends to get more hate filled as time rolls on. It's no surprise to me at all when one of them loses their composure toward it, nor do I look down on them for doing so.

To me it's no different than watching the guy or group be escorted out of a place of business for being an ass, as they're being verbal assaulted by staff, there's a line of what's acceptable consumers can cross as well. They do it far more than devs or employees do.

Maybe this studio does act out more than others for lesser reasons, I really don't follow them or the drama surrounding this project all that much. 

I just don't feel it's honest to treat "online" relations as one would relations within an establishment. The nature of what's tolerated and put up with is far different, those lines would be a lot stricter in a real life scenario, as well as carry more consequence. The consumer you deal with online is not the consumer you deal with in person.

Post edited by Distopia on