Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Social Beauty of Pokemon Go - General Column

Comments

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107
    psiic said:

Distopia said:

psiic said:

Beauty ??? People are being beaten up and shot at for trespassing for this stupid crap. This game is going to get people killed there is nothing cute or beautiful about sticking people distracted in real world danger.

That seems rather alarmist to me, how widespread are such cases really? On top of that most people know where they should or shouldn't go in their given city. As the old saying goes, you can't protect the foolish from foolishness. More people are killed/hurt riding skateboards and Bikes I'm sure, perspective and all man.

There have been 100's of injuries in the US alone thousands worldwide. People are stepping out in front of cars, off rooftops, falling off retention walls, falling into canals, pools, storm drains. There has to be some kind of liability attached, they have knowingly created this thing and even admit there is a danger involved.
    As someone who puts their phone away when crossing roads and walking in dangerous places, this just sounds like good old proper natural selection to me.
  • mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,504
    DMKano said:
    Xarko said:
    Somebody stop DMKano before he becomes a rainbow.

Ah damn - I went orange overnight while sleeping.

congrats on the orange!
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I am with Kano,i  actually detest seeing so many people cling to their cell phones like they are more important than life itself.

I go outside it is NOT to play with cell phones,it is to get away from things like tv's and cells and computers.Geesh it was only a few years ago and most agreed that too many were burying their faces in front of TV's and computers,now we have to add Cell Phones to that mix....sigh.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• SpellshaperSpellshaper Member UncommonPosts: 419
    This "game" seems to be wasted potential if anything so far. But devs seems to have money now, so maybe they can do what they couldnt before.

• darkheartsdarkhearts Member UncommonPosts: 159
    Gotta love the idiots that are driving while playing this game.

Would love this game if it wasn't so bare bones.
  • linadragonlinadragon Member RarePosts: 589

Koboli said:

Dragnelus said:

Koboli said:

I have a contrary take: it's a children's game, and we should be discouraging kids from constantly jamming their faces into smart phones. Social beauty? You'll forgive me for not being so optimistic. 

Its a game for everyone. Youll be surprised how many couples, families, I see when battling gym and catching pokemon with my kid. And its like.. Your prob playing pokemon? Making new friends etc. 

I'm sorry, we're now dropping down into the tried and true "bashing someone's social functionality because they don't like the same thing as me" play? The game looks like garbage - a pointless, mindless waste of time. I wouldn't let any child of mine near it, and I certainly wouldn't throw away even a second playing it myself.

I don't really care if it brings joy to other people - the first person with their noses glued to a screen who gets hit by a bus or a train, or stabbed because they're in an unseemly part of town, all while trying to catch fake monsters is going to look real bad.

I'm sorry but what exactly are you doing on a gaming site at all then? All gaming unless you are actively learning something or participating in something that betters you as a person is a pointless and mindless waste of time... You sound completely full of yourself there. Also yes, bad things may happen if people make stupid decisions that's life...

If they wander into a neighborhood they know is bad that is on them not the game, if they walk into traffic because not paying attention again it is on them. There are deaths associated with AR games already, but it is purely the game players fault for doing shit they know is stupid. People make bad decisions and bad things happen as a result, not just people playing these games. People walk into traffic simply listening to music. Stupid shit happens.
  • linadragonlinadragon Member RarePosts: 589

Ratero said:

Step outside? NEVER! I really don't see the appeal to this game. I give the game a few weeks, just long enough for people to realize that walking around in the sunlight is detrimental to your health and trying to catch an invisible (to others) creature is an awesome way to get your self shot. I'll pass on this unappealing game.

People still play Ingress which is the other game Niantic labs worked on so there is that. And pokemon has a much much larger fan base.
  • tfostormcrowtfostormcrow Member UncommonPosts: 11
    there is a lot of fake story's about people getting hurt or killed . don't believe the hatters the newness will where off and people will be people get bored and move on the the next latest and greatest . but on a side note it is getting kids off there buts during there summer vacation yes its with a phone but at-least there out side and not screaming i am bored.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    It's the next Angry Birds...

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    Distopia said:
    NodboN said:
    So far its not an MMO , is there a name for a shared RPG, because you don't affect anyone elses game nor do they yours in any major way? The only player interactive bit is at gym and even then your just battling an AI Pokemon, no trading yet, and no battling strangers. But there is the novelty of talking to people with shared interest you meet while walking around.

also the game doesn't take into account terrain much, over that guard rail and fence is a swamp with stagnant polluted runoff water, also an awesome looking rare Pokemon. On my walk today, no rare Pokemon, but that water was there and so were Pokemon i haven't caught before, i'm older and wiser than go that far for a game. But I don't think a kid or even a teenager would give it much thought. I don't have any kids of my own, but it seems like this is a game were parents will need to have a talk about how far its ok to go to get a pokemon, and when its just too dangerous. Also i live in a heavily populated suburb with lots of crime, so i can under stand the points of view of those worried about people exploring.
    I live in Baltimore, I can tell you one thing for sure. There's no one around here that doesn't know where they shouldn't go young or old. 

I lived in Fells Point for a few years, which is a nice area overall, but if you walked five or six blocks in the wrong direction, things got a bit sketchy. I lived right on the corner where Obrycki's crab house was, and watching rich white people dodge crackheads and a bunch of shady Chicanos from my rooftop deck was a thing of beauty. 

• VorpalChicken28VorpalChicken28 Member UncommonPosts: 348
    I live the UK and have Pokemon Go working, and WOW it's amazing. I've always been a pokemon fan, have been playing them since they came out so many moons ago. I have 2 kids and my youngest (age 8) is into Pokemon as well and we've had so much fun with this over the last few days.

Where I live (North East England) it's pretty remote for the UK, BUT our village has a Pokegym and me and my son have taken it over, my son laughing his arse off when we took it has to be one of my more favourite memories.

In alot of ways it's allowed me to reconnect with my son in a way no other game has before, as my son is autistic, and this alone makes it a great game, and the fact that we now go around looking for Pokemon (and do doing geocaching at the same time) makes it amazing.

Nintendo have hit the nail on the head and they deserve the kudos they are getting for this game.
    “Nevertheless, the human brain, which survives by hoping from one second to another, will always endeavor to put off the moment of truth. Moist” 
    ― Terry PratchettMaking Money
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    I like Pokemon Go.  My girlfriend and I are both playing it,  my buddy that just got it last night asked if I wanted to go pokemon hunting last night and we went and walked around the neighborhood around 11PM.  Caught 3.

The game is generally buggy for us both.  We did check some tips online because it was killing out battery.

Power saving mode for us seemed to work but was spotty.  

@DMKano  when in powersaving mode, the screen darkens when you're not looking at it, and you can place it in your pocket.  In this way you don't have to simply stare at your phone all the time.. you can still generally enjoy that nature you're talking about.

The pokestops are hit and miss for me and the people that I've met.  Sometimes I'll be able to get one, but someone else won't.. or sometimes nobody will be able to get the pokestop.   

Also, older phones that have issues with GPS get some crazy occurrences where they think they're where they are supposed to be but the GPS will continue to say "x is too far away"

Generally this is a great use of AR.  I see the future where this is taken from phones and placed on an MR headset to be a lot of fun for a lot of people.....

One more thing... both my friend and I found that a lot of people ARE doing this while driving.  I was on the way to the store and the car in front of me with 2 people in it were constantly braking hard and when I pulled up next to them they were both on their phones looking down.  I thought "What is the chance they're playing pokemon go".

Once we hit the light one of them jumped out and ran across the street holding their phone in front of them.  If I had to guess the person that got out was in their mid 40s.  

I can see it being disasterous in some cases.

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    biggest mmo and no one stream it, or cant :D
  • cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    I dunno I got this on my wife's phone for her and ended up putting it on my phone to show her. I see a lot of good ideas with stuff like this but also the bad as give it time and people are going to get arrested for this or end up killing someone by walking out in a road or spying in someones house. I know on my phone it had us finding pokemon literally in peoples back yards and near windows so I can see this causing some real problems once stupidity sets in on some people. Overall good concept though but humanity in general is pretty damn stupid especially in america where we lack common sense.
  • AllerleirauhAllerleirauh Member UncommonPosts: 496
    edited July 2016
    This game offers just another distraction. If they prevented people from playing this while driving, etc., then maybe. This is just another way for people to get themselves killed (not really an issue for me); I'm more worried about the lives they take down with them. I get my exercise the old fashion way, by using exercising equipment, safe at home.
    Currently Playing: Path of Exile

"I have found a desire within myself that no experience in this world can satisfy; the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." ~ C. S. Lewis
    edited July 2016
    @ most ppl that play Pokemong GO!!

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Aori said:
    Some articles are already popping up about it improving mental health by getting people out of the home and into the world. 

Pokemon Go is getting people out of their beds and off their couches and into the world.  I don't know how anyone can deny this is a good thing.
    True, my sister in law thats been trying to lose weight was out for over 3 hours hunting pokemon yesterday.  I think it's a good thing, but of course.. not while driving.

Got some Greatballs from a Pokestop!

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085
    edited July 2016
    I don't understand why, after reading several articles and talking to friends who were playing it, I'm just now finding out it's built around a money-for-pokecoin microtransaction business model. I don't own a data phone, I don't play mobile games or download apps, but one look at the pricing structure in the one place I could find them listed looks more like they're taking advantage of people than they are helping them in any regard. You can argue that people are getting exercise, that people are leaving their houses and socializing with other players, but all of that good will is squandered when you realize the whole sham design is built around enticing individuals to spend more and more to enjoy the game at their leisure (rather than waiting 20ish hours per gym defense, or whatever the hell it's called, to earn currency by playing). If this is what mobile games and gamers are used to, I'm glad to be missing out.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• AzmodeusAzmodeus Member UncommonPosts: 268
    I have no interest in the game, but anything to help with the obesity problem in our nation is fine with me. 
      OMG I am Ancient!
  • Rockinw311Rockinw311 Member UncommonPosts: 147
    Was just about to post this. It's in my metro area, which already has one of the consistently highest crime rates in the country. 

I do see a lot of positives with the game, but as with most things in life, people need to be aware of the negatives and use some common sense about how they may be exposing themselves.
  • beebop500beebop500 Member UncommonPosts: 217
    As if the US didn't already suffer from more than enough people who do nothing but stare at their phones all day....I fail to see the "social beauty" in anything that gives this screen-addicted society even MORE of an excuse to pay attention to their phones, and only their phones.....wow.

As soon as five-year-old little Sally gets run over by some idiot playing this game while he's driving, I think we're going to be on the road to a problem.  I can see the extremists hosting marches in protest of Pokemon Go, and can see politicians wasting time creating legislation in a fruitless attempt to get our addle-brained citizenry to find some other interest beyond their cell phones.  The game may be fun, but I'm sorry, there is zero "beauty" in our disconnected society as is, and now with the addition of this game (and others ofc) it's only going to get worse.  If you're going to go outside, enjoy nature, and exercise, you can damn well do it without your phone!
    "We are all as God made us, and many of us much worse." - Don Quixote
  • Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152
    I don't understand why, after reading several articles and talking to friends who were playing it, I'm just now finding out it's built around a money-for-pokecoin microtransaction business model. I don't own a data phone, I don't play mobile games or download apps, but one look at the pricing structure in the one place I could find them listed looks more like they're taking advantage of people than they are helping them in any regard. You can argue that people are getting exercise, that people are leaving their houses and socializing with other players, but all of that good will is squandered when you realize the whole sham design is built around enticing individuals to spend more and more to enjoy the game at their leisure (rather than waiting 20ish hours per gym defense, or whatever the hell it's called, to earn currency by playing). If this is what mobile games and gamers are used to, I'm glad to be missing out.
    You can entirely play this game without ever spending a single penny on it. So this who enticing people to spend money is something I do not see in it. There is no to keep playing to need to spend $10 or you need to wait X amount of time.

If you use all your pokeballs you can just goto any recharge type point in the game and get a few more.  Afew stops like that and you are good to go for another day. No need to spend $20 for there ingame money to buy 100 more pokeballs or anything.

Want to upgrade pokemon or evolve them? Just keep catching more and trading them in for candies and / or hang on to them.

Now in order to catch more then 150 (or whatever high number it is set at) you will need to upgrade your pokedex but that amounts to like $5 and you are not forced to upgrade in order to play / have fun.