Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can honestly say this isn't freakin awesome?

Comments

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited July 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    Wizardry said:
    idk this does nothing for me because i make decisions based on how i feel and what i see ,not because some gramp's is playing a game with VR.
    When you think about it,we have moved from multi button controllers to a single trigger gun he either shoots or swings?IDK about anyone else but that sounds like a step backwards to me,with far LESS options.
    I try to break it down like this.

In a trandtional game try looking behind you without moving your character 180 degrees. Now try to do that all with your head and not using your hands.

Does that make you win better? nope, get a higher score? nope. Does it increase your experience? dramatically.
    That's the part you don't seem to get at all... NO IT DOESN'T! It's a gimmick (bad one) just like Kinect is. It doesn't bring anything more to most games. Its in the way of good gameplay. 
    yeah your pretty much flat out wrong and your example (kentitc) could not possibly be worse choosen and not even remotely near what the experience is like and barely even remotely similar.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• DeltoisDeltois Member UncommonPosts: 384

To you they re not, get it through your head you re not the only person. I find them annoying as hell.

edited July 2016
    Deltois said:

To you they re not, get it through your head you re not the only person. I find them annoying as hell.

'I am the only person'?

ok just so you know VR headsets sell out often, when VR is at an event its usually packed with long lines, VR is having its first dedicated gaming convention this year, reviews are all positive, by far most people who tried it say its outstanding and multiple companies are spending billions of dollars on it.

That might not be everyone or even the majority but sure is a hell of a lot more then 'the only person' because it weighs as much as a baseball cap.

Dude get over yourself. I m talking directly to you , you claim they aren t uncomfortable, I do. What else you want?
    Deltois said:
    Dude get over yourself. I m talking directly to you , you claim they aren t uncomfortable, I do. What else you want?
    what else do I want?

I want you to be able to compartmentalize the question of comfort away from the illustration of 6 degrees of freedom.

Its like saying 'the porsche is not fast because the seat is not comfortable'
    what the actual fuck?

Lol.

You asked how you can t see this isn t awesome, I say it s uncomfortable etc, so no it s not.
    Deltois said:
    You asked how you can t see this isn t awesome, I say it s uncomfortable etc, so no it s not.
    I did not ask that.

you are replying to the wrong person as well as being horrifically disorganized and random

ok boss.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Well all the Oculus Rift packages in bestbuy are sold out.  The prices ranged from 3100$-499$.  You have to admit that is quite impressive.  They are expecting the Playstation VR to arrive around October.  Here's some numbers just to help open eyes a little here.

SuperData Research CEO Joost van Dreuen predicts consumers will spend $5.1 billion on virtual reality gaming hardware, accessories, and software in 2016. That’s up from the $660 million spent in 2015, says the marketing leader. Meanwhile, the global market is expected to grow to $8.9 billion in 2017 and $12.3 billion in 2018.

Vive has already sold over a million headsets.

sources
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/48hvr6/support_rep_speaks_of_millions_of_sold_vives_will/
    http://fortune.com/2016/03/04/computer-glitch-caused-htc-vive-sell-out/
    Are you onto something or just on something?
    filmoret said:
    Well all the Oculus Rift packages in bestbuy are sold out.  The prices ranged from 3100$-499$.  You have to admit that is quite impressive.  They are expecting the Playstation VR to arrive around October.  Here's some numbers just to help open eyes a little here.

SuperData Research CEO Joost van Dreuen predicts consumers will spend $5.1 billion on virtual reality gaming hardware, accessories, and software in 2016. That’s up from the $660 million spent in 2015, says the marketing leader. Meanwhile, the global market is expected to grow to $8.9 billion in 2017 and $12.3 billion in 2018.

sources
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/48hvr6/support_rep_speaks_of_millions_of_sold_vives_will/
    to be fair that reddit link is 1. 4 months old and 2. mark as misleading.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167
    edited July 2016
    filmoret said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Ydeeps said:
    Gramp's more aggressive than Mayweather. Lol. Seriously, though, I want to know how the old man felt after using the VR. I heard it often causes nausea.
    nausea is created by a few factors of which the developer can avoid if the hardware can keep up. 
    That said those who are naturally prone to nausea might get nausea regardless.

there is such a thing in VR as bad developer design which can cause nausea
    Yea I'd say if you are prone to seasickness then this will probably not be for you.  My grandmother actually got seasick by walking on the pier during rough seas. 
    What's funny is I don't get seasick and never have (Living near the ocean I lots of crabbing and fishing) But certain games with bad FoV+no cursor+mouse smoothing will make me sick as hell. I imagine I would get simulation sickness as well. It's such an odd thing. Might be my body can adjust to actual physical motion, where simulated motion my confuses the hell out of my brain. I wonder if you could use VR as a teaching tool to simulate motion sickness in training scenarios. xD
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• BlackWatchBlackWatch Member UncommonPosts: 972
    I haven't experienced any motion sickness yet.   

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited July 2016
    filmoret said:

sources
    Your source for the Vive sales number is unreliable at best.  It'd a reddit user posting word of mouth that even he thinks is hyperbole/facetiousness.

• iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    Riding house is another way to solve moving issue .
  • BigRamboBigRambo Member UncommonPosts: 191
    lol, why do people start these kind of threads of where they find something awesome and will try to defend it all the way?   VR is a nice concept, but is still a decade or 2 away from being to the point where it becomes "Awesome",  everyone that I know who have tried / owns one barely use it for 10 hours a week.  Even I tried it at my local BestBuy and after 5 minutes I got fed up with having a bulky head set on my head.  The day where VR becomes like a DragonBall Vegeta scouter head piece, sure I'll go buy myself one, but until then, no thanks.  

The only good thing going for VR is that it made a major leap in the right direction since the Virtual Nintendo from 1995, damn that gave me a headache after 20 minutes.   
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    I can see people attempting to sue VR helmet companies for damages when they trip and fall over their own furniture, or accidentally punch a relative's lights out.   ;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• EpicJohnsonEpicJohnson Member UncommonPosts: 83
    Interesting discussions, I will say for me as an oculus owner, I will not play any fps game on a regular monitor. Currently playing Kings and Heroes. I have over 100 hours of rift play with this game so far.
  • NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904
    Ydeeps said:
    Agreed. First order of business should be to find a way to get rid of those hand thingies. It's not hard to imagine a scenario where you're so engrossed in the game that you actually throw them hard into the wall or worse, your TV screen / monitor. Lol.
    A few years ago i saw a video about trying to create/recreate those screens screens from minority report... The gloves they used for that presentation were much more minimalistic than the controllers that dude is using and according to the dude they were very close to removing the gloves altogether...

Now, if they could implement that sort of technology for input then you would only have to worry about getting the huge brick off your face.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Nitth said:
    Ydeeps said:
    Agreed. First order of business should be to find a way to get rid of those hand thingies. It's not hard to imagine a scenario where you're so engrossed in the game that you actually throw them hard into the wall or worse, your TV screen / monitor. Lol.
    A few years ago i saw a video about trying to create/recreate those screens screens from minority report... The gloves they used for that presentation were much more minimalistic than the controllers that dude is using and according to the dude they were very close to removing the gloves altogether...

Now, if they could implement that sort of technology for input then you would only have to worry about getting the huge brick off your face.

magic leap and hololens can already do this without gloves.  Hololens is still kind of cumbersome.  Magic leap is purported to be roughly google glass sized, so fairly light in comparison to just about every VR set.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904
    Nitth said:
    Ydeeps said:

magic leap and hololens can already do this without gloves.  Hololens is still kind of cumbersome.  Magic leap is purported to be roughly google glass sized, so fairly light in comparison to just about every VR set.
    Thanks! didn't know about Magic Leap

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    SEANMCAD said:
    Deltois said:

'I am the only person'?

ok just so you know VR headsets sell out often, when VR is at an event its usually packed with long lines, VR is having its first dedicated gaming convention this year, reviews are all positive, by far most people who tried it say its outstanding and multiple companies are spending billions of dollars on it.

That might not be everyone or even the majority but sure is a hell of a lot more then 'the only person' because it weighs as much as a baseball cap.
    Reviews are all positive?

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

I find it odd that people will pull tooth and nail for a bigger monitor and somehow find a lot of reasons to cry about a vr headset that turns your entire room into a monitor.
  • carotidcarotid Member UncommonPosts: 425
    filmoret said:

The facebook link was taken down.  He was playing a zombie game and they are coming at him from every direction.  You see in the captions he ran out of bullets so he is using weapons to kill them.  And he is 81 years old.
    Honestly this makes me want to buy one right now.
    Yeah. I can honestly say this is a stupid ass gimmick that stupid people fall for
    carotid said:
    filmoret said:

The facebook link was taken down.  He was playing a zombie game and they are coming at him from every direction.  You see in the captions he ran out of bullets so he is using weapons to kill them.  And he is 81 years old.
    Honestly this makes me want to buy one right now.
    Yeah. I can honestly say this is a stupid ass gimmick that stupid people fall for
    I can understand some people don't like how realistic it is and how much interaction it is.  To each his own.  Sure I guess if you continue to love watching B/W tube televisions who is to argue and disagree.