Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you ever played an mmo that - over time - got better?

AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
The mmorpgs I played have usually tended to get worse.

EQ2 got a bit better. Vanguard improved, but I have that 1/2 second hand because I only beta tested it. City of Villains was a nice addition to CoH. 

Other than that, I am hard pressed to think of any examples (from my own experience) of improvement over time.

EQ got worse.

WoW got much worse.

SWG got unspeakably worse. 

Have other people's experiences been different?

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    yeah, Vanguard.

"Better" in that issues were fixed over time.

All I got.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    I think WoW got better. Not a popular opinion. 
  • fs23otmfs23otm Member RarePosts: 506
    EQ got better from classic thru POP... 
    ESO has gotten better ....

• huihuhuhuhuihuhuhu Member UncommonPosts: 53
    imo final fantasy arr should be in the category

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    from early MMos Anarchy Online went from a buggy frustrating mess to one of (and still today) deepest MMOs made for character/class development ..

Modern .. FF14    ... hated this game at first .. keft went back 10 months later as the positive feedback from the community kept flowing in ... returned played to endgame and imo one of the best MMORPG on the market right now
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Vanguard without a doubt.

ESO has improved considerably, and seems set to continue doing so.

I think Age of Conan has also improved since launch.

Final Fantasy didn't improve, it was scrapped and re-made, lol
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    fs23otm said:
    EQ got better from classic thru POP... 
    ESO has gotten better ....

Actually, you're right, Elder Scrolls Online has gotten better.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Eve Online. If ever a game has evolved and improved over time, its that one.
  • MeriikMeriik Member UncommonPosts: 60
    WoW got better before it got worse imo, BC and WotLK were improvements to vanilla, then the shit hit the fan.
  • CogohiCogohi Member UncommonPosts: 85
    IMO Wildstar has improved significantly since launch. 

They seem to have finally grasped professional level software development discipline.  Regressions still happen but those are infrequent and usually dealt with quickly.

They've retooled to a more sane release cadence.  The ridiculous attunement process has been all but trivialized.  40-man raids are a thing of the past.  There's now some bona fide casual content at end-game that isn't moar dailies.

That's not to say that everything is all roses and unicorns.  The F2P+cash shop transition has introduced some new pain points.  Most of the best cash shop items are hidden in gamble boxes.  End-game gear management all but requires the purchase of Service Tokens. 

The Service Token gripe is somewhat mitigated by their store credit grant (Omnibits) which is an earned currency.  You have to play to get it.  Subs get 3x as much as non-subs.

For me the positives outweigh the negatives.  These guys actually do listen.  Sometimes they go quiet but they usually will respond with a proposed adjustment or a reasoning behind the point of discussion.
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    EQ2 and Swtor.  They both had rough beginnings but matured quite nicely.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Marvel Heroes, although it's starting to get worse these days.

WOW improved in some areas for BC and got worse in others.  Leveling and world design got better for WOTLK for sure.
  • AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940
    Guild Wars got better.

But i agree, it's a rare thing, especially today.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Yeh I'm stumped on that one

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    You mean before it got worse?
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    ESO... it went from extremely buggy to mildly buggy, so they started below the bar.  Lots of good content added.  Rift, added interesting and improved souls.  

A few MMO's that added mentoring to help new players.  Boosts so you don't have to do the same lower levels for the tenth time.  A lot of MMO's have added small improvements over time.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    FFXI got better and better until they hit a level cap of 75,then Abyssea and all shit hit the fan.Still it took about 7+ maybe 10 years to hit that stage,so it was quite a run of playing a really great game.
    The mistake was made and seems to be a common mistake among all developers and that is they get lazy and cheap making content so try and make every addition more of a grind than the last one.

That is a piss poor way to treat your customers,keep it FUN,who gives a crap if content is a tad too easy.just don't go making content easier just  to speed up sales of NEXT said expansion.FFXIV was improved but imo,not in the right places and sure it had to improve since the start was a very rushed product.
    Wow was rushed,EQ2 was rushed VG was rushed and never finished,every single game shows signs of incomplete development right up to the point now devs are trying to pull some wool over our eyes with so called EARLY development stage.Yeah ok early development,WHY are we paying money for total  unfinished crap?

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    You mean before it got worse?
    You make a good point. I'd say DAOC got better until TOA/New Frontiers then it tailspun.

WOW got better for a few expanisions, probably tailing off around Cata.

EVE of course for many years, but Monacle gate and poor investments (DUST 514, WOD) took the wind out of CCPs and EVE's sails.

I doubt any game has gotten continually better more than 5 years or so, maybe EVE for the first 8 or 9 years.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SwankdSwankd Member UncommonPosts: 243
    The more I play Black Desert, the more I'm impressed, and the more I realize I can do. It is constantly keeping you engaged and the player base is huge. 

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180
    huihuhuhu said:
    imo final fantasy arr should be in the category

Technically if you count ARR as a patch, this defines the category.
    Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Yeah, most of them. 

The real question is which of them got better before you fell out of love with it, blamed it for everything and started publicly trashing them in forums out of sheer boredom.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    edited July 2016
    City of Heroes definitely did. Up until the very last minute, when NCSoft decided to kill it. The update that was on the test server was bringing so many new customization options that people had been asking for since launch, and which allowed for a bunch of new builds. Tragic =/

SWTOR improved in a lot of ways too, but also lost more than a few things along the way. Every last bit of challenge was stripped from the game with 4.0 and forward. Outside of multiplayer content like flashpoints and ops that is of course. Ironically, flashpoints became more challenging in some ways. But not good ones. When you wind up with 4 DPS, with some of them low level and completely clueless about the game, some of those runs have become pure torture. My main reason for playing so many healers the last few times I've done group content.

In general Iselin is right though. The vast majority of MMOs become better over time. Less buggy as well. It's why you're generally better off playing an MMO after it's been out for a year or so, rather than jumping in on the early access train... but lets face it... that's never going to happen. xD

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    I've never played an mmorpg I didn't like at first that got better by forcing myself to play it, it either clicked or it didn't.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    scorpex-x said:
    I've never played an mmorpg I didn't like at first that got better by forcing myself to play it, it either clicked or it didn't.
    Actually for me ArcheAge didnt click until around level 35 or so, about the time I started regularly grouping with my guild.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    In 2007 I started to play Rappelz and it got better as I got higher.