Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

8 years of broken promises

Comments

• YumeTsukaiYumeTsukai Member UncommonPosts: 40
     "lol you guys are really holding grudges like that over video games??"... "Imagine how it would be if they tried dating!"

Wow - the true prophets have spoken. I... honestly don't know what the world would be without you! 

In my tiny little head I thought that these kinds of forums are intended for people who like/love video games. But you don't know what that is, do you ? Unless you've been in a situation like the OP you will never understand.

Right, *it's only a game*. You're probably the guys who will always be eager to buy "a shovel of *promises*" from the devs and gladly throw 60 bucks at them. But why not? It's just a game! :) The industry thrives on people with no brain & moral standards.

The cruel reality is that most devs these days are set on profit. Even releasing incomplete games like Ov.rw....ch will provide tons of sales. Marketing supreme power. Buy the game now and get the full game in a few months, we promise! Everyone seems to be doing that today. While Blizzard will probably deliver on their word, many others will not.

OP is right. Consumers are no longer in control. The 12 year olds playerbase greatly exceeds the rest. Their parents will be the ones buying the shovels of promises. And why not? After all, it's only a game.
  • ZettaBytesZettaBytes Member UncommonPosts: 37
    Hopefully they do a better job with Conan: Exiles.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    edited July 2016

Some posters think this is not relevant because it happened some eight years ago. That would be true if the same mistakes were not made again and again. Indeed some of those "mistakes" like releasing before a MMO is ready are the norm now.

AoC was a game with truly stellar potential that did not deliver and made fans less likely to buy MMOs in the future. Helping to put AAA MMOs into the dormant state they are today. Helping to ensure F2P as nearly the only way MMOs are made. Our present is founded on history, for games just like anything else.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Sovrath said:
    octa said:

I will never forget what they did.  I will never forgive what they did.

This is a "joke post" right?

Because it feels like you are really hanging a lot on a "video game".

Seeing SWG fans still raging on today, eventhough SOE no longer exist to rage against...... I am afraid it's no joke.
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Messiah78 said:
    what was so broken at launch?
    I played from launch +3 years - no break.
    Best Classes and  best Raids - oh and we had the new thing called balanced PVP.
    No mmorpg even comes close to AoC.

Yep pretty much and what DMKano said.

I had an amazing time in Age of Conan.

Sure Erling was an idiot. Just a stupid sales man you could just easily ignore.

The game had it's issues and flaws, but pretty much every MMO has that, including WoW ( had it's share of issues too at launch lets not forget ).

It's the players that jumped on the rage "Coolaid" Train and abonded it just for the sake of it, that the game just never got a chance and it's a shame.

Despite it's issues, the game was amazing and great fun at launch! I had a blast and played it for well over a year and came back after the Expac and got a couple more months of great fun out of it.
    Sadly on my server the population wasn't too good, so left again. :(
  • 13lake13lake Member UncommonPosts: 719
    edited July 2016
    I had an amazing time with as well, from a year after launch to a few months before it went f2p. It has hands down the best raiding content of any mmo, and the classes are awesome (combat overhaul lessened it a bit).

Also had awesome pvp experience, just sad my guild being small, and i didn't join a big one to try out the sieges :(

It's the first and last mmo that pulled me in for such a long time, i played rift at launch, and just quit after 2 raid runs out of boredom and how inferior the raids were to AoC raids.

A few months before it went f2p i got burned out from raiding (full t1+t2), and switched to my 2nd longest played and most enjoyed mmo APB:All Points Bulletin. Another universally hated game(again due to bad launch, etc, ...), that had thousands of hours of pure fun, and intense skill matchups.

I'm waiting for the next game critics and internet denizens bash into the ground to go play for years again , ...
  • Messiah78Messiah78 Member UncommonPosts: 21
    DKLond said:
    Messiah78 said:
    Game was a complete mess in a technical sense - with players blinking in and out of existence based on viewing angle.

But we're talking about promises here. The primary broken promise was that this was supposed to be about meaningful open world PvP.

That never happened - and the focus quickly turned to trivial "WoW" PvE.

I lost interest at that point.
    The game was not a complete mess. few quests were broken. Siege idea never worked that well.
    The open world PvP worked great - it was great fun, and balanced . I could kill people on my ToS, on my BS, and my Necro. (compare AoC PvP to BDO PvP)

Trivial PvE ? The Raids were great man.  They had so amazing stuff going on there - there was hardly any "stay out of the red" - you had to know the class you were playing, and understand the how the boss worked.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    I agree with @holdenhamlet.  Warhammer was way better than AoC.
    LOL

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• vonryan123vonryan123 Member UncommonPosts: 418
    AoC had a bad start lots of games did. As for it being the train wreck you claim I think not. Sounds like the new free 2 play model got someone butthurt?

• vonryan123vonryan123 Member UncommonPosts: 418
    Messiah78 said:
    For the record most of the game was broken at launch so lets be at least honest here

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    edited July 2016
    [...] Sounds like the new free 2 play model got someone butthurt?
    I don't think he even knows about the membership update...
    It's more like a mission, octa starts a thread every year around the anniversary (true, this year it was delayed more than a month, which is odd), with the same opening post, just with an updated year count.
    ("5 years now that this cancer..." "6 years ago this abomination launched..." etc. etc.)

That sure is dedication, you have to admit :lol:
  • brihtwulfbrihtwulf Member UncommonPosts: 975
    I don't think the AoC launch was any worse, and as far a "broken promises" I don't think there was much of that either.  Maybe not meeting people's expectations, but everyone has different ideas of what they want in a game.  "Meaningful PvP" to some people means open world free-for-alls with open loot and a constant gank-fest by higher-level players.  Meanwhile, I think that's a garbage mess.  They did a good job with creating some innovative features while still staying true to the MMO genre in terms of a theme-park experience.  Could it have been better?  Sure.  But it's still been a really fun game.

I think people are too quick to demand what THEY want, without remembering that not everyone else wants the same thing(s) out of their games.
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
     "lol you guys are really holding grudges like that over video games??"... "Imagine how it would be if they tried dating!"

Wow - the true prophets have spoken. I... honestly don't know what the world would be without you! 

In my tiny little head I thought that these kinds of forums are intended for people who like/love video games. But you don't know what that is, do you ? Unless you've been in a situation like the OP you will never understand.

Right, *it's only a game*. You're probably the guys who will always be eager to buy "a shovel of *promises*" from the devs and gladly throw 60 bucks at them. But why not? It's just a game! :) The industry thrives on people with no brain & moral standards.

The cruel reality is that most devs these days are set on profit. Even releasing incomplete games like Ov.rw....ch will provide tons of sales. Marketing supreme power. Buy the game now and get the full game in a few months, we promise! Everyone seems to be doing that today. While Blizzard will probably deliver on their word, many others will not.

OP is right. Consumers are no longer in control. The 12 year olds playerbase greatly exceeds the rest. Their parents will be the ones buying the shovels of promises. And why not? After all, it's only a game.
    The industry thrives on people with no brain & moral standards.

Fkin nailed it.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    This guy has posted the same thing every year for the past three years.  Guess he missed the launch date by a couple months this time tho.

AoC was not an injustice at all.  It was one of the best MMO's ever made and the only reason I don't still play it is because after doing a pretty decent job of maintaining it for four years, they gave up and my will to keep playing when the dev team doesn't give a crap anymore, has been totally sapped.
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    edited July 2016
    octa said:
    Dude!
    That was eight freaking years ago? Find a game with an Engineer class and play that. Maybe it can help you build a bridge...........And get over it.
    What is the statute of limitations on injustice? 

We must remember so that the suffering of thousands of people wasn't in vain - so we can make this a better world, one game at a time.
    Amen. I'm still pissed at Gearbox over Aliens: Colonial Marines, and at Undead Labs & Jeff Strain over Moonrise and the YOSE of State of Decay. 

To paraphrase a great fictional character, "I did not kill Battleborn, but I wish that I had. Watching your (Pitchford's) pathetic attempt at a MOBA die brought me more relief than a thousand Overwatch loot boxes!"

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    I played the game for a long time, loved it. When it was time I moved on, but I will always have fond memories of it. Not sure what you are crying about.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Saur0n69 said:
    Europeans suck at business.  It's that simple.

They make the BEST games when it comes to atmosphere period.  They aren't very good an creating UI,'s, trade systems etc. I've seem some of the most illogical design decisions ever in European developed games but I actually prefer European games over any other developers.

• octaocta Member UncommonPosts: 245
    Po_gg said:
    Hi octa :waving:
    Missed your annual "this cancer of the industry is still there" thread at the anniversary a month ago, seemed you forgot to post it - which would've been quite a contradiction to the whole "I will never forget what they did.  I will never forgive what they did." shebang.
    Glad to see you just skipped a month for some reasons. No year should pass by without the usual "n+1" years octa thread.

See you in 2017!  :lol:

To be honest I had an internal struggle whether to post.  I get depressed around the anniversary thinking back to that launch window and the nightmares we faced.  Posting here tends to help but this year was especially hard since the memories were dredged up with the news of a potential sale of Funcom.I almost walked away.

Then I saw the Conan survival game video from E3 and the rage welled up inside again. I had to vent. This company deserves no quarter.  Their abuse needs no reward. I post here to remind myself and everyone touched by this blight that their attrocity should not be forgotten or forgiven.  They did it twice! Don't let them make it 3 times.
  • RawizRawiz Member UncommonPosts: 584
    Funny how some people on a MMORPG site are basically saying "it's only game, why you heff to be mad??". After that act like nerds themselves.
    Get off your high horses. People get pissed and remember - deal with it.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    JeroKane said:
    Sovrath said:
    octa said:

I will never forget what they did.  I will never forgive what they did.

This is a "joke post" right?

Because it feels like you are really hanging a lot on a "video game".

Seeing SWG fans still raging on today, eventhough SOE no longer exist to rage against...... I am afraid it's no joke.

I'd bet on their death bed their last dying words will be something negative about SOE and SWG.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

edited July 2016
    fail
    Po_gg said:
    [...] Sounds like the new free 2 play model got someone butthurt?
    I don't think he even knows about the membership update...
    It's more like a mission, octa starts a thread every year around the anniversary (true, this year it was delayed more than a month, which is odd), with the same opening post, just with an updated year count.
    ("5 years now that this cancer..." "6 years ago this abomination launched..." etc. etc.)

That sure is dedication, you have to admit :lol:
    So, when are you going to answer my question from your own topic:

"New shop (and membership changes, hopefully soon)"

I had a simple question - you've failed to answer it and it has been over 2 weeks now - yet you called me out for "hate-fun" whatever that means. Are you actually going to answer this question or what? 

"Link your posts to where you actually point out FC errors?"

Or admit you just never actually did and apologize.
  • CymdaiCymdai Member UncommonPosts: 1,043
    Funcom has always had 2 simple problems.

1) They always, always release prematurely, which leads to extremely buggy, shit-tier games (even though, conceptually, they are grand and vast)

and

2) They are always broke. Seriously. #2 perpetuates #1 so much more than you can even realize.

IDK why they don't just try to make a non-MMO to fill the coffers, but they've now released 3 MMO's (Age of Conan, Lego Minifigures Online, The Secret World) and all of them just didn't have the budget they needed to be successful. They clearly aren't hurting for ideas (I often find them to be quite ahead of the time, conceptually) but their execution continuously leaves so much to be desired. I suppose that's what happens when you go bankrupt every 2-3 years, though :(

Waiting for something fresh to arrive on the MMO scene...

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    MMO has terrible launch, barely any subs and can't deliver on everything they promised.  If you expected anything fixed after it bombed so bad, you're super naive.
  • GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    I was one of those alpha and beta testers that were so maligned.  I did everything they asked, filed bug reports (that rarely got fixed, btw), and followed their directions - play as many classes as you can to test the game play.

There were a lot of us too.  We did pages and pages of bug reports on the testing forums, especially about melee combat (much more boring than it needed to be, other than fatalities).  If they were unaware of problems, it was because they were not reading the testing forums.  Even then, a lot of us were testing many classes and did not level cap.  I should have seen the pattern though; the higher you level, the more bugs you find.  What kind of disaster was waiting as you approached level 80?

It was pretty disastrous.  And instead of investing to fix the problems, they moved a whole lot of those funds made from AoC to developing TSW.

I cut my losses and quit the game 6 months after release, which was remarkably close to when they announced The Secret World.

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!