Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Riders of Icarus Combat

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
Hey guys,

For anyone who has tried this game, what is the combat like?  Is there a difference between foot and mounted combat?  I hope the mounted combat isn't similar to LOTRO...That shit almost killed the game for me.

Thanks!

Comments

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    I just watched the lazy peons video on it.
    I'm.. well not impressed.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unAy662TRmM
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    I just watched the lazy peons video on it.
    I'm.. well not impressed.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unAy662TRmM

I can't get it to play for some reason, keeps pausing.

Probably the most important question for me:  Do you have to double-tap dodge-roll out of damned red shapes on the ground?
  • Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    No, it's designed around tab target combat, the action combat seems tacked on as an after thought. 
    I was rather dismayed by how horribly the 'assassin' played in his video. 
    He switched up to a 'wizard' and had a much better time as it was designed around tab targeting.
    The game's concept is having both tab and action combat in one game, which honestly has left it wanting in both respects.
    The flying / mount stuff seems like it's strong suit, the combat in general seems a bit... under cooked.
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    It can be tab target or action.  Not sure if thats your thing or not.  Best thing honestly would be to try it during the f2p launch ( I think early July).
  • leoakleoak Member UncommonPosts: 8
    You have a skill called "Blink" (at least I did as mage) that lets you dodge forward or backwards.  In the beta there was no way to "blink" left or right.  As for mounted combat, it's not all that great.  If you're playing mage, you're better off fighting on foot because the dps for mounted combat skills suck when compared to the mage skills.  There's also the problem that mounted skills aren't class specific so if you play a mage/priest, you have to use a bow or spear to attack while mounted.  As for non-caster classes, feedback seemed mixed, however, while in game I rarely saw anyone doing mounted combat unless it was to test it out after doing the quest to get the spear/bow or because a quest required it. 
  • LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    No, it's designed around tab target combat, the action combat seems tacked on as an after thought. 
    I was rather dismayed by how horribly the 'assassin' played in his video. 
    He switched up to a 'wizard' and had a much better time as it was designed around tab targeting.
    The game's concept is having both tab and action combat in one game, which honestly has left it wanting in both respects.
    The flying / mount stuff seems like it's strong suit, the combat in general seems a bit... under cooked.
    No it was designed to be a tab targeting game. The action camera was added after people complained they wanted one in one of the first betas. 
  • LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    bestever said:
     If I remember there was no dodge on the Guardian not sure about the other classes.
    Priest doesn't have dodge, either. Only the dps do and they don't even have  the same one. Assassin can go in any direction but Wizard can only go forwards and maybe backwards.
  • MagikrorriMMagikrorriM Member UncommonPosts: 223
    edited June 2016
     Some people get the combat others don't. The reason why there is a soft lock on action combat is because you can't tame mounts without it.
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
     Some people get the combat others don't. The reason why there is a soft lock on action combat is because you can't tame mounts without it.

Oh yeah, after watching that video, this is totally not the game for me.  The combat looks more frantic than WildStar.  Reviewer said you constantly have to keep moving and doing combos or you're dead in two shots.  I'm sure action combat fans will love it.  I like my MMOs wayyyy more laid back.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    The combat is not bad.  To me the combat is better then Wildstar or TSW.  The game is just generic.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• myxaplixmyxaplix Member UncommonPosts: 41
    Biggest problem I have with this game is the queues to kill the bosses. Since it's 1st to hit locks out everyone else, it turns into a big bottleneck. Combat is pretty much WOWish, it's not a reason to get excited about the game and the boss waiting pretty much kills it for me.
  • JunglecharlyJunglecharly Member UncommonPosts: 167
    The combat is not bad.  To me the combat is better then Wildstar or TSW.  The game is just generic.
    The combat is better than Wildstar? The combat in this game must be the most boring, uninspired combat i've ever experienced. It's worse than WoW for sure and that's a twelve years old game. Wildstar had movement, telegraphs ,fast paced combat, riders is a yawnfest. I was watching a guardian fight a mob and i got sleepy.
  • sludgebeardsludgebeard Member RarePosts: 788
    The combat is better than Wildstar? The combat in this game must be the most boring, uninspired combat i've ever experienced. It's worse than WoW for sure and that's a twelve years old game. Wildstar had movement, telegraphs ,fast paced combat, riders is a yawnfest. I was watching a guardian fight a mob and i got sleepy.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zT3gvp8ZfLs

Tell me whats different between that video and WoW.
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited July 2016
    wrong thread
  • JunglecharlyJunglecharly Member UncommonPosts: 167
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zT3gvp8ZfLs

Tell me whats different between that video and WoW.
    You don't see any differences in combat? I am speechless. You ever played Wildstar? How can you not understand the difference between tab target and that action combat system? To be honest, that's the only difference between wow and wildstar, the combat oh and the housing.

That video doesn't even show the possiblities, one for instance is that you can fight 3 or more mobs using your telegraph kiting them around, moving constantly. I do not even play Wildstar but it's pretty obvious .

Here's a short pvp video, still the same to you guys?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kipz-14JxUo
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Since it's on Steam I d/l it and started a character.  I'll give it another chance.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey