Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Riders of Icarus - A Ho Hum Affair - Riders of Icarus Column

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageRiders of Icarus - A Ho Hum Affair - Riders of Icarus Column

Anyone remember Dragon’s Prophet and their #SuperMetal campaign? Daybreak, then Sony Online Entertainment, even went so far as to hire the drummer from Cinderella, the 80’s glam metal band, not the Disney princess; to compose a theme song for the game. Why did they go to such great marketing lengths?

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865
    Tried to give it a go last night. #2300 in queue to log in....MEH.

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• PiscorePiscore Member UncommonPosts: 263
    I feel this game to... slow ? (combat I mean)

l2p

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,014
    "Apparently Raku is a bad word somewhere and was prohibited. In japanese it’s a type of pottery. Seriously, what gives Nexon?"

It also means "pleasure". Maybe that's an issue?
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • GraeyGraey Member UncommonPosts: 281
    As one of the posters stated above. The game feels slow. like even on a mount it feels slow. Now granted I'm aware there could be or probably is mount speeds but it just seems like the way the character turns, the camera, everything seems slow. Perhaps not yet fully optimized?? 

I really want to give the game a shot and I'm playing a Priest right now. The idea of having a lot of pets intrigues me and collecting them so i'll probably play for a month or so. But I can't seem to play more than say 20 min at a time. 

It seems so shallow in a way, I can't quite put my finger on it but it reminds me of Neverwinter that MMO forgot what it is called. It feels like the characters, environment, etc does not have a weight or substance to it. Although some areas are beautiful. 

I will give it a bit more time however. 

On that note, does anyone have any MMOs on the horizon that might be good or at least has potential. I'm looking for ones with at least a pet class. 
    Also one other thing. When I started the game up. In the chat area the gil/gold/money sellers are using I'm assuming a Mega Phone to shout for gold buying options. There is no way to turn this off. That alone made me want to uninstall. I get that you want to shout or whisper, etc. At least give me the option to turn all chat off so I don't have to deal with it.
  • FilburFilbur Member UncommonPosts: 254
    The steam numbers are pretty impressive, with a peak of 10,394 playing yesterdays, a few hours after launch. That is more than WildStar ever had. But I have to agree with Robert that Icarus is a low budget affair and pretty standard/mediocre.
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Graey said:
    Also one other thing. When I started the game up. In the chat area the gil/gold/money sellers are using I'm assuming a Mega Phone to shout for gold buying options. There is no way to turn this off. That alone made me want to uninstall. I get that you want to shout or whisper, etc. At least give me the option to turn all chat off so I don't have to deal with it.
    Really agreed, there. That megaphone thing is one of the worst things to keep in a Western game, or any MMO really. Especially a Free one, because it's almost always abused.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Graey said:

Really agreed, there. That megaphone thing is one of the worst things to keep in a Western game, or any MMO really. Especially a Free one, because it's almost always abused.

You know, with that being said. I've yet to see an MMO implement some type of chat service to combat people who want to sell gold. I mean even in this game, If I have to see the Megaphone why is there no Anti-Megaphone. Make it as easy to get them and use so that If I choose I can take myself out of that particular aspect. I think I may have seen them used in one other game, but I'm pretty sure I could just turn off chat. These are implemented in such a way that they are outside of the regular chat system. I just cannot understand why any developer would want this implemented in their game. I'll continue to test the game out for a week or so, but just by my initial impressions I don't see me staying for any significant amount of time.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    "I’m not sure why you would want to waste your time with this"

And THIS kind of blunt, honesty is why I love reading @grakulen articles

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• Scott_JeslisScott_Jeslis Member RarePosts: 630
    "In a perfect world I would suggest you use action combat for melee but turns out that even if you point your reticule at a target there are times when you still have to hit tab to make the switch. This makes no sense. I would look at one thing and click my mouse and my character would then auto run to the creature I had previously targeted."

Has happened to me quite a few times. Ended up with me pulling more mobs than I had cared to. Combat in this game isn't as good as BDO which has diminished my fun. Guess I'm spoiled by BDO as well.
  • teknioteknio Member UncommonPosts: 3

Tried to give it a go last night. #2300 in queue to log in....MEH.

It appears the queue was very temporary last night while they were adding new servers. i sat in queue from 2500+ til 1400 and as soon as they were done with the other servers i immediately got in. No waiting since then.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• renegeedrenegeed Member UncommonPosts: 55
    I've enjoyed it so far, very traditional, with a small twist.
  • JRRNeiklotJRRNeiklot Member UncommonPosts: 129
    Tried it last night.  Took me 10 minutes to turn around.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    No que for me.  Created a character and logged straight in.  It was 1am though.  Played for about 20 mins.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    renegeed said:
    I've enjoyed it so far, very traditional, with a small twist.
    It's funny, because I agree with everything Rob brings up, and yet I'm still having a fun time. I think it's because it's exactly the kind of game I needed right now. If Legion had launched now, I'd not be playing Icarus, methinks.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• PerjurePerjure Member UncommonPosts: 250
    Rob states "with all the great games out there I’m not sure why you would want to waste your time with this. " Hey Rob - I would love to know what those "great games" are, and it seems there are many of them as well. Not sure how I have missed them??? (BDO IMO is not a great game, has some great elements, but as a total package it falls short - FYI)

Other than that comment by Rob, I agree and enjoyed this article. IMO RoI is a mediocre game - nothing bad about it, but other than the taming and collecting of familiars there is nothing that we all haven't seen before. I am enjoying it for the time being, at least taming mounts can be a bit challenging and a mini-game unto itself I suppose. The founders community has been a good group as well, but now that the gates are open the usual locusts are back for a few months until they are banned or bored.
  • shalissarshalissar Member UncommonPosts: 509
    Holy moly did they ever jack up the hp of mobs. Like they really wanted that slow, stiff combat to stand out. Blech.
  • GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894

Perjure said:

Rob states "with all the great games out there I’m not sure why you would want to waste your time with this. " Hey Rob - I would love to know what those "great games" are, and it seems there are many of them as well. Not sure how I have missed them??? (BDO IMO is not a great game, has some great elements, but as a total package it falls short - FYI)

I wasn't just referring to MMOs. There are a ton of great games in all genres out there. But compared to this I would suggest solitaire or Tic-Tac-Toe.
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    I saw a video review of this the other day, and the uploader made a good point about the combat system.  This game tries to have both action combat and tab-target combat, but it ends up being terrible.  It would've been better to just focus on one system.
  • HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535
    Figured I'd give this game a try seeing as it's free on steam. It was "launch" day so queues are expected so basically alt-tabbed for 20 minutes and then got in so it wasn't an issue. Put over 12 hours in or so and tried the systems but holy moley this game is boring. Please note I played solo so when you group with players you usually have a better time.

The game feels a bit underwhelming, leveling was easy which was nice, and some of the zones looked pretty cool but felt very deserted. Had that '2005'-centric feel to the design, not a bad thing kinda hit some L2 nostalgia but seeing as it's 2016 you come to have certain expectations, for a F2P game I have to give it the benefit of the doubt. The textures and graphics for the characters weren't bad and hold up pretty well.

The combat system was also very mixed, I think it would of been better if it was copied directly how TERA or BD has it rather than a half-baked tab-target "action" system, I feel like it causes more stress than it should for classes such as the Guardian. If they focused more on fine tuning the combat system to make it flow better I think this game would of been a hit out of the box.

Not going to go into a full on review on this game but figured I'd throw my insight in here. The creature capture system is really cool but not enough to hold my attention to playing long term.
  • JimWraithJimWraith Member UncommonPosts: 127
    As far a character naming conventions are concerned, apparently the words "blade" and "mist" are blacklisted, though "slave" is perfectly acceptable. I apparently don't understand MMO censorship anymore.

I first downloaded it on Steam and it wouldn't run due to a Runtime Error. None of the known solutions corrected it, so I uninstalled on Steam and then downloaded the Nexon Launcher and it ran fine. So the Steam version has some explainable issues.

I'll play with it for a bit, but as much as I like the Pokemon "Gotta catch them all!" factor, I expect this game won't last too long on my computer.
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Looks good but that's about it. I don't mind the slow leveling or walking but the combat sucks. Glad I waited for f2p and didn't buy the founders pack. Trying to like it as it's a good style and everything. I'll give it another shot tonight and give it a fair go as it's a good setting and everything. I had to let some of my familiars go due to the 10 familiar limit but I haven't parted with any money for this game so you get what you pay for in that reguard I guess.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• HaralinHaralin Member UncommonPosts: 148
    I thought there is much more mounted combat in this game, but it isnt, just another Asian F2P Clone with taming, which i could not see very useful, maybe later in game.
  • SainguinSainguin Member UncommonPosts: 75
    Completely agree with this article.

I grabbed RoI off Steam last night, fired it up, and had shut it down in under an hour.

I just can't get into Generic Fantasy MMO #2100093. I just can't do it anymore.