Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worth buying?

Comments

• KoboliKoboli Member UncommonPosts: 210
    Iselin said:
    I bought it... only played the first 20 minutes or so, however, because I ran out of character deletions (I cannot believe that's a thing) and will have to wait for tomorrow to take the plunge for real.
    Holy crap, you went through 11 characters in one day?
    I don't... think so? No. I want to say I did 5 deletions. 
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Iselin said:
    I bought it... only played the first 20 minutes or so, however, because I ran out of character deletions (I cannot believe that's a thing) and will have to wait for tomorrow to take the plunge for real.
    Don't feel bad, I did the same thing trying to get it right.

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    It's very good as a solo experience if you enjoy story and exploration - compared to the MMO standard.

However, the flow of the game is definitely better suited for solo play - so if you expect to group with friends, be prepared for a bit of a struggle to enjoy quests and most PvE content.
    edited July 2016
    DKLond said:
    It's very good as a solo experience if you enjoy story and exploration - compared to the MMO standard.

However, the flow of the game is definitely better suited for solo play - so if you expect to group with friends, be prepared for a bit of a struggle to enjoy quests and most PvE content.
    What are these frr-ayyy-ends you speak of?

In all seriousness, I haven't had a friend since my roommate was expelled for poor grades when I was an undergraduate a decade and a half ago. I'm a misanthrope, though I can disguise it when I choose. 
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    edited July 2016

You bought it? Cool. Hope you have fun :)
  • DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    DKLond said:

What are these frr-ayyy-ends you speak of?

In all seriousness, I haven't had a friend since my roommate was expelled for poor grades when I was an undergraduate a decade and a half ago. I'm a misanthrope, though I can disguise it when I choose. 
    In that case, you should be fine in ESO :)
  • scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    Been meaning to get this for a while, the thread reminded me to do so while it's on sale.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Koboli said:
    Iselin said:
    By default you can create 8 characters and you're limited to 3 deletions per day, something they did a couple of years ago as part of their anti gold spammer campaign. It's how I came up with 11 :) 
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    edited July 2016
    As someone who loves the Elder Scrolls series and thinks that ZeniMax messed up quite a lot of things with ESO, a lot of snippets of the lore, and aspects of the game engine.

Yes, it's worth buying.

The game has flaws, lots of them (some of which are simply bad design and writing, some of which are mechanical and fundamental components of the engine that are basically unfixable), however, ZeniMax has shown dedication to fixing the things they can and expanding the game's content which at least means that it's turned into a relatively good game of it's own accord.

EDIT: And seeing as you already bought it, eum... well hope ya have fun and don't think too hard about the lore. Seems Todd Howard already labeled ESO non-canon too so...guess it doesn't matter overmuch.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

Iselin said:
    Koboli said:
    Iselin said:
    By default you can create 8 characters and you're limited to 3 deletions per day, something they did a couple of years ago as part of their anti gold spammer campaign. It's how I came up with 11 :) 
    I created one three times and deleted her three times.
    Koboli said:
    Iselin said:
    Koboli said:
    Iselin said:
    I created one three times and deleted her three times.
    Ok got you. I'm an altoholic and I thought you were even worse than me :)
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    OP reading in the thread about the ESO Gold Edition you said:

"I played for about an hour, and am not convinced I will do so again.

In other news, why do all the elves in ESO have spooky alien eyes, but the promo art depicts them as beautiful women with pointy ears?"

Somewhat sad if you bought the game and don't like it - maybe other people might be interested to know why. The art style maybe - given your "11 character" comment? The UI? Something else?
    edited July 2016
    gervaise1 said:
    OP reading in the thread about the ESO Gold Edition you said:

"I played for about an hour, and am not convinced I will do so again.

In other news, why do all the elves in ESO have spooky alien eyes, but the promo art depicts them as beautiful women with pointy ears?"

Somewhat sad if you bought the game and don't like it - maybe other people might be interested to know why. The art style maybe - given your "11 character" comment? The UI? Something else?
    Uh, well, it's a couple of things. First and foremost, I'm not an enormous fan of how the world is designed. ESO suffers from that "too clean" problem where every boulder and stone; tree and blade of grass is rendered in glorious, unblemished perfection. The real world doesn't look like that, though - it's pitted and rough (particularly pirate havens). So, to me, how high a game's resolution is is secondary to how immersive or believable its setting is... and I was not sold.

Secondly, the game does a pretty poor job of introducing you to the skill system. In fact, I didn't even know where the skill window was until about an hour in. Now, yes, I am an experienced MMORPG player, and I can figure out builds and stat allocation and whatnot... but, honestly? The learning curve could be a little less steep on this one.

Then there's the combat. First of all, I like the slow pacing - it actually feels like you are swinging a two handed sword, and not slapping your enemies with a pool noodle. So, that's a plus. On the other hand, enemy AI is dull, and I kept seemingly being steered into quests for mobs I couldn't kill, yet there was nobody around to help. Again, that's really not the type of introduction for players that you want.

And finally, I just lost interest. A few hours in and the story didn't grip me - the introduction was really fairly compelling, particularly with the Amazonian lady sacrificing herself... until you're dumped onto Happy Crab Island and just left to rot. Oh, let me go do some fetch quests for this pirate lady in a lawn chair; oh, hey, it's the voice actor from Cowboy Bebop predictably playing some roguish dude... oh, now I'm out in the desert again picking up pieces for some dwarven machine... wee.

Look, did I give the game a fair shake? Probably not. But video games are like books: if you can't hook someone in the first couple of paragraphs, they are liable to stop reading. I just didn't see any strong reason to press on.
  • MareliusMarelius Member UncommonPosts: 130
    The thing with the game is you are either going to love it or hate it. Doesn't seem to be a middle road with it. One thing I find is if i go play another game, something keeps bring me back to ESO. Just something about the game where if you give it a good try and really get into the storyline you disappear into it's world. To us people that love the game it has some type of magical calling for us. 

Just wish they could fix the bugs and lag with pvp. 
    Sometimes it's not always about what you can see or hear but what's under the hood of a game that's most impressive. Between those thousands and thousands of lines of code, magic happens. Sometimes the most amazing feats of gaming wizardry happen without you even noticing.

Rob Manuel

Marelius said:
    The thing with the game is you are either going to love it or hate it. Doesn't seem to be a middle road with it. One thing I find is if i go play another game, something keeps bring me back to ESO. Just something about the game where if you give it a good try and really get into the storyline you disappear into it's world. To us people that love the game it has some type of magical calling for us. 

I'm not angry with the game, and don't honestly know enough to hate it. I do regret buying it, but it seems like I experience buyer's remorse for about 25 percent of the stuff I purchase off of steam, so that is nothing significant either. Certainly, I didn't walk away from the experience going "this game is crap" like I did with Wildstar or BDO. I can respect longtime ESO devotees. I just file this in the same pile as games like EVE and FFXIV: good, but not for me.
  • mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,504
    Fun game and cheap.. why not have a crack :D
  • ZArmiZZArmiZ Member UncommonPosts: 27
    Short answer = yes buy it :)

Full tower PC

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Koboli said:
    And finally, I just lost interest. A few hours in and the story didn't grip me - the introduction was really fairly compelling, particularly with the Amazonian lady sacrificing herself... until you're dumped onto Happy Crab Island and just left to rot. Oh, let me go do some fetch quests for this pirate lady in a lawn chair; oh, hey, it's the voice actor from Cowboy Bebop predictably playing some roguish dude... oh, now I'm out in the desert again picking up pieces for some dwarven machine... wee.
    Did you try the other two alliances? Because Daggerfall Covenant has the most boring start of the three...
  • MareliusMarelius Member UncommonPosts: 130
    Koboli said:
    Marelius said:

I'm not angry with the game, and don't honestly know enough to hate it. I do regret buying it, but it seems like I experience buyer's remorse for about 25 percent of the stuff I purchase off of steam, so that is nothing significant either. Certainly, I didn't walk away from the experience going "this game is crap" like I did with Wildstar or BDO. I can respect longtime ESO devotees. I just file this in the same pile as games like EVE and FFXIV: good, but not for me.
    Well at least you have 14 days I believe to get a refund from steam. 
    Sometimes it's not always about what you can see or hear but what's under the hood of a game that's most impressive. Between those thousands and thousands of lines of code, magic happens. Sometimes the most amazing feats of gaming wizardry happen without you even noticing.

Rob Manuel

• GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    Koboli said:
    Marelius said:

Definitely try AD before you give up.  Their beginning questline is probably the most entertaining.  If you don't like that one, and you have tried a couple of classes, I'd have to say the game isn't for you.  One thing to try as well before you give up; join a zerg in Cyrodil.  It can be quite entertaining!  Not every time of course, sometime you get the bear, and sometimes the bear gets you, but I have fun in Cyrodil often enough that I keep going back.

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• SaunZSaunZ Member UncommonPosts: 472
    ESO is the best MMORPG ever!   The PvP is awesome!  Quickly get your toon to level 10 and then go to the non-vet (below level 50) Blackwater Blade campaign and join the large PvP groups... that is the most fun you can have in a MMORPG anywhere!   ESO PvP is addicting... my PvE consists of going through all the zones and getting SkyShards so I can get more Skills and doing also some dungeons.  The Crafting is awesome too because it matters.  You can craft yourself the best gear from very early on and Craft yourself custom sets that really do change your performance in PvP and PvE.

Buy it, install it, get to level 10, go to Cryodiil and come crash Castles and kill peepz!  Joining the TeamSpeak groups is even more fun because it is like 24 peepz planning the annihilation of the other factions!

Sz  :)
    edited July 2016
    GladDog said:
    Definitely try AD before you give up.  Their beginning questline is probably the most entertaining. 
    I agree. AD was the last alliance added during beta and it shows. They got better as they went along.

I do agree with the OP about skill confusion early on for those starting cold following no guides. They throw a lot of options at you with little guidance. More like "here it is, explore and figure it out."

Whenever I roll a new alt and play in the same areas as new players I see a lot of them spamming basic attacks and dying. It's not a hard game by any means for those of us who know what to do and how to do it but I have sympathy for new players who are sort of lost and die a lot. That's not a good way to start a new game.

First impressions are very important and unless you do some research ahead of time on beginner tips and tricks, ESO can be harsh.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    Problem with picking the Aldmeri Dominion is you're then, well, the Aldmeri Dominion. That's like picking Terran Republic in Planetside... :p

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

Deivos said:
    Problem with picking the Aldmeri Dominion is you're then, well, the Aldmeri Dominion. That's like picking Terran Republic in Planetside... :p
    We have the best looking leader :)

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

SaunZ said:

Buy it, install it, get to level 10, go to Cryodiil and come crash Castles and kill peepz!  Joining the TeamSpeak groups is even more fun because it is like 24 peepz planning the annihilation of the other factions!

Sz  :)
    Asking questions about what skills to take and which morphs to pick in Teamspeak is how a lot of people learn the game and build their characters the right way. Lots of people ready and willing to help out.

Cyrodiil, especially in the Blackwater <50 campaign, is ESO at its old-fashioned, group-friendly MMORPG best.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED