Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Review in Progress - The Right Game at the Right Time

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageReview in Progress - The Right Game at the Right Time

It’s been a week or so since Riders of Icarus entered Open Beta (for Founders at least), and I’ve been finding it oddly cathartic and relaxing to delve into a new MMORPG that doesn’t seem afraid to let its Inspired-By flag fly. While a lot of Riders of Icarus is clichéd, the game’s got a certain sense of charm and I find myself wanting to log in regardless of knowing exactly where the adventure leads.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• UnleadedRevUnleadedRev Member UncommonPosts: 568
    Is it one of those Anime type MMOs?
  • KoboliKoboli Member UncommonPosts: 210
    Just an FYI: the story link appears to be broken.
  • LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    edited July 2016
    I get the following error trying to click on that link:

"MMORPG.COM has just experienced an error
    The details for this error are:
    Details: Element streams is undefined in a CFML structure referenced as part of an expression. The error occurred on line 181.
    Template: /gamelist.cfm
    Server: cyberc17
    To report this error please copy the information above into an email addressed to:
    meddle at mmorpg.com.

Please refresh the page or use the back button to return to the site."

I can't use internet email at work, so this post will have to suffice, sorry.
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Is it fixed? Seems to be, as I just clicked and got here... odd one that.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Must be working now. It worked ok for me.

They do have some good ideas in this game. A slowly expanding leveling cap keeps players from reaching max in a few days. Setting difficulty level in dungeons makes it more enjoyable for the type of group you have. Delay of PvP lets them better prepare the game and get PvP right.

I don't play this as I have some regular MMO's I play nearly daily. Plus some RPG's I've been playing, equals little time for additional games. I thought the beta was OK so perhaps one day but I have a waiting list of OK games to play.

Good article. :)

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• ElvocElvoc Member RarePosts: 546
    I am enjoying my time in it, especially the mount and pet taming challenges, and the storyline is not bad but I also can see myself running off to do the next best thing in a month after the servers get bogged down with all the FTP junkies. Also like Bill stated there isn't really any game content or difference in characters to make me want to relive the adventure with another class..
  • KoboliKoboli Member UncommonPosts: 210
    Like I said in another thread: I'm not willing to bag it entirely. It at least has the benefit of starting out free - I feel like that's almost a bit of honest, unspoken exchange between developer and player that other B2P MMOs (that should have no price, given their lack of content) conveniently sidestep.
  • SignexSignex Member UncommonPosts: 318
    Glad i refunded the early access version, wasn't worth the money. Now i can play it for free. :)
    AMD Ryzen 5800X3D - Gigabyte Aorus RTX 3080 10G Master - 16GB RAM
  • ElvocElvoc Member RarePosts: 546
    Looks like a promotion going on for the next week or two....

To celebrate the official Open Beta launch of Riders of Icarus, Nexon America will be rewarding all Riders who log in and play from July 6 – July 20 with a FREE Dragon Fire Shoulder Raven when they complete the “Wings of Fire” event quest given by Crow at the Brakaar Forest Crash Site
  • Scott_JeslisScott_Jeslis Member RarePosts: 628
    The "action mode" combat, I've been playing a warrior, isn't as loose as say Tera or BDO. In fact I've been playing BDO a bit more because of Icarus because of the combat. I also need to tilt the camera at a slight down angle to get a "fix" on an NPC. These are my biggest hurdles.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited July 2016
    problems I see without having even read the article.

1. 'My insanely overpowered group taking on the first dungeon'
    this should almost never happen within the first 9 months of a game being online, unless one is unbearably bored 

2. question marks above heads...no..just flat out no

3. it looks like archeage.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• zanfirezanfire Member UncommonPosts: 969
    played it for a few hours and all i can say is a resounding "...meh". Its mediocre in just about every way. It's generic looking, gameplay , 5 classes, story and the gimmick is just that, purely a gimmick. Nothing terrible, nothing great...just meh all around.

I see this game barely scraping by in the next 6 months.
  • CeironxCeironx Member UncommonPosts: 88
    edited July 2016
    I'm going to call it, this game will be the next big generic mmo. The reason being that it came 'hypeless', no one had any expectations for Riders of Icarus, which will be the main reason for its success.
  • SignexSignex Member UncommonPosts: 318
    Lol GG nexon, i got to keep my Elite founders edition stuff. My refund already got accepted by steam. Not sure if it gets removed later.
    AMD Ryzen 5800X3D - Gigabyte Aorus RTX 3080 10G Master - 16GB RAM
  • epoqepoq Member UncommonPosts: 394
    I think I'd rather play a game that knows what it is.  The action versus tab targeting in this game makes it mediocre at both instead of being great at one.  The dodging mechanisms and action combat portion of the game need serious work, it's nowhere close to what other action games (like TERA) have implemented.  I'm going to throw it out there and say it's way more fun to play a mage or a healer (tab targeting classes) versus the action combat oriented classes because of how broken their action combat system is right now.  Not to mention as people said above, medicore game in every way, and only 5 classes, with the base of the game being a Pokemon inspired "gotta catch em all" pet/mount system....I just don't see this going far.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Dunno why, but anything I read on this site about this game feels sponsored. Not saying it is, just feels that way. I'm also not saying its a bad game, but nothing really stands out that much.
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    Strikes me as odd that you panned Blade and Soul hard for being a typical themepark. But this one gets a pass. Is capturing mounts that much of a difference?
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    I found the game fun.  Not awesome but fun.  Better than the average stuff being made today.  I actually enjoyed some of the "borrowed" mechanics and that it doesn't try to change too much.  I could actually do without the taming and still enjoy it, although that is something I didn't get too far into.  I give it a MEH+.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• RPGMASTERGAMERRPGMASTERGAMER Member UncommonPosts: 516
    edited July 2016

Strikes me as odd that you panned Blade and Soul hard for being a typical themepark. But this one gets a pass. Is capturing mounts that much of a difference?

he probably a old pokemon master.... for the rest and almost everyone this game pretty much a crappy asian p2win f2p cash shop generic games... since im giving each new game a fair try, i did level up to lvl 20... this game should be releases in 2001....that generic and crap dont get fooled with spending cash on this new car ( it all broken inside but you dont know yet !! )
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    So basically, honeymoons and new car smells are nice even for otherwise bland games.

Well, as someone who hasn't been able to find a semi-permanent MMO home for a while because of how these newer games always crash and burn at "endgame", I definately have to agree with that.
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545

he probably a old pokemon master.... for the rest and almost everyone this game pretty much a crappy asian p2win f2p cash shop generic games... since im giving each new game a fair try, i did level up to lvl 20... this game should be releases in 2001....that generic and crap dont get fooled with spending cash on this new car ( it all broken inside but you dont know yet !! )
    From what I hear, this game is actually terrible if you're playing it for the pokemon because you only get like, 4 mount slots. (you can buy a bit more with useage the cash shop, but not THAT much more)

A pokemon world where you can only own 4 pokemon.  Yuck.
  • SomeHumanSomeHuman Member UncommonPosts: 560
    There have been a few comparisons of this to Dragon's Prophet. DP blows this game out of the water easily, from combat to mount functionality to world design, look, crafting, etc. I didn't especially like DP for a slew of other reasons, but now that I've put some time into RI, no comparison. It's a pretty horrible game for this day and age. Let's take the gloves off MMORPG.com.

Gaming since 1985; Online gaming since 1995; No End in Sight! My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8POVoJ8fdOseuJ4U1ZX-oA

• HellidolHellidol Member UncommonPosts: 476
    I really dislike Asian style MMOs, is this any different or pretty much the same style. 

• LIOKILIOKI Member UncommonPosts: 421
    It's a weird mix of western/asian styles.